Start by marking “Surviving K2” as Want to Read:
Surviving K2

Surviving K2

WILCO VAN ROOIJEN: SURVIVING K2
Surviving two days in the Death Zone

In the summer of 2008 the 'Norit K2 expedition' climbed without additional oxygen the 8611 meter high peak of K2 in Pakistan. During the descent the expedition turned from triumph to tradedy. One of the biggest tradedy's in mountain climbing history. Statistical every quarter 'conqueror' will die on the "K
Published April 11th 2012 (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Surviving K2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Surviving K2

Nigel
Jun 07, 2014 rated it liked it
This is the third book I've read about the events on K2 in the 2008 season and its disaster and I would certainly recommend this to anyone interested in this type of climbing book. However I would equally recommend reading some of the other available books before this one to get a real overview of the situation on K2 - something that is lacking in this narrative. As others have said this is a somewhat disjointed book which at times changes time and place with little flagging.

It is quite obviousl
David F Hetue
Mar 11, 2014 rated it did not like it
Maybe I missed something...

After going a bit over 20 percent I just did not feel l was getting a feel for what was required to make the climb. Maps,diagrams might have helped. Lots of spelling and grammar--Made me wonder if this was for real. l was really looking for an exciting story. Just was not getting. there.
Charlotte
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Spannend, intrigerend en angstaanjagend verhaal over een zeer gevaarlijke klimonderneming. Geen groot schrijver m.i. maar je wilt wel doorlezen, vooral omdat het zo ongelooflijk is wat mensen voor gevaren opzoeken en aankunnen en niet aankunnen.
Kathleen
This is the story of Wilco's 3rd attempt at climbing K2 in 2008. He includes excerpts of his previous two attempts which I think is helpful to understand his obsession to summit "The Savage Mountain."
R.P. Bosman
Aug 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history-etc
Overleven op de K2 is het fascinerende ooggetuigenverslag van een van de weinige beroepsavonturiers die Nederland rijk is!

Een op de vijf bergbeklimmers die de top van de K2 probeert te halen, overleeft dat avontuur niet. Toch probeerden zeventien klimmers uit verschillende internationale teams in augustus 2008 deze gevaarlijke berg te beklimmen. Een team met daarin de Nederlanders Wilco van Rooijen en Cas van de Gevel behaalde de top, met expeditiegenoten Gerard McDonnell, een Ier,en Pemba Gyalj
danni smith
Sep 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Tragic

This book is a very personal story about the Elite climbing world..the "8000-ers"..Much of it described in painfully honest words .It details primarily the Authors-own experiences with K2 and his journey to finally summit..but equally important he pays homage with deep respect to comrades who lost life doing what they loved. I was moved by the story, I found myself gripped with fear as the Author struggled to find his way out of a seemingly hopeless and life-threatening situation.
Still I f
Marilyn Rhea
May 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a solid book. It provided a lot of background information on what exactly is involved in climbing K2. It reads well and the
story flows nicely. There were 100 climbers that lost their lives in 2008 in their attempt to conquer this mountain. I wish there had been a little bit more offered on the individuals and the trials they faced, and also the mistakes that were made, that resulted in this tragic loss of life. I would recommend this to anyone that likes to read about people trying to a
Vicki
Oct 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: abandoned
Very difficult to maintain interest in this book -- managed 17% according to my kindle. It reads like a personal journal that has been translated so the grammar is sometimes off and the narrative is slow. Having read other books about the 2008 expedition on K2, I know it was a terrifying and tragic year. However, I never felt invested in the story reading this book so I decided to move onto others.
Piet
Feb 26, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating but for an outsider, it is clear that climbing such a mountain is Russian roulette. You have to be in perfect shape and master of your skill, but then it is the mountain that decides whether you make it or not. Still some of the decisions taken on the mountain surprise me given those odds, like going to the top and building some of your return strategies on the hope that... Which is given the environment of k2 sure that it will go wrong. But heroes they are.
Monique
After reaching the top of the K2 in 2008, Wilco got lost on his way back down and was missing for 3 days. He managed to get back to a base camp and survived. Sadly 11 climbers who were climbing with him, died on the Killer Mountain.

A good and moving book. Knowing that 1/4 of the climbers will die on the mountain makes me wonder why someone wants to climb it.
Lance
Dec 27, 2015 rated it liked it
While I usually enjoy books an climbs on large mountains, this one didn't have that same feeling of adventure and danger that I usually feel when I read this type of book. It can't be the climb as it was filled with treacherous moments, but the narrative just didn't capture my imagination. It was an okay read, but not terribly as gripping as a topic like this normally can be.
Jyl
Jan 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
How do you rate a book about a mans survival of a mountain that claims 1 out of 4 people that climb it. I learned so much about the process of ascending this great mountain, the mental and physical strength of the climbers, the dangers and tragedies that climbers face, some history of climbing and what is in the head of a man that climbed and survived K2. Great read.
Frans Reitsma
Sep 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinerend hoe je helemaal niet stilstaat bij het feit dat het beklimmen van een berg een project van een aantal maanden is. Op de 1 of andere manier dacht ik dat je wachtte op het juiste moment en dan naar boven klom. Lees dit boek en je weet dat het verhaal anders is.
Tommie Kennedy
Nov 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Excelent book!

I have read many many books on mountain climbing, and this is one of the very best. Would recommend it to any and all who are interested in the subject. You won't be a to put th book down once you start reading it.
Mikmakkie
Mar 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
Truly a tragic story.
Claire
Dec 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Good read, didn't grip me as much as some mountain books I've read. Tended to jump about a lot and didn't get involved with the characters. If you like this kind of thing worth a read tho.
Deepak Parthiban
Feb 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
A decent read on adventures on k2. Could have been more detailed.
Jeanne
Dec 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
I normally love a good climbing story. This one seemed choppy, the main story is constantly interrupted by flashbacks of other climbs. Got it free from Amazon.
Asgeir
Aug 16, 2014
Vakula
Jan 31, 2016
  • Een woord een woord
  • De kleine keizer: verslag van een passie
  • Arctisch dagboek
  • Dit is mijn hof
  • High: Stories of Survival from Everest and K2
  • Thin Air
  • Everest: The West Ridge
  • De laatste getuige
  • The Last Man on the Mountain: The Death of an American Adventurer on K2
  • Hemelvaart
  • One Mountain Thousand Summits: The Untold Story Tragedy and True Heroism on K2
  • Taking on the World
  • A Day to Die For: 1996: Everest's Worst Disaster - One Survivor's Personal Journey to Uncover the Truth
  • Zink