Start by marking “Algorithms in a Nutshell” as Want to Read:
Algorithms in a Nutshell

Algorithms in a Nutshell

Creating robust software requires the use of efficient algorithms, but programmers seldom think about them until a problem occurs. Algorithms in a Nutshell describes a large number of existing algorithms for solving a variety of problems, and helps you select and implement the right algorithm for your needs -- with just enough math to let you understand and analyze algorit ...more
Published October 14th 2008 by O'Reilly Media

To ask other readers questions about Algorithms in a Nutshell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Algorithms in a Nutshell

Start your review of Algorithms in a Nutshell
Mohamed Elsherif
This book is fantastic, assuming you are already familiar with the subject, it can really be a great refresher, it is short, you can get through it on a weekend or so, and the 1-pager per algorithm is great, reminds me of old school study notes.
Islomjon
Jan 19, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
If you want to read an easy book about algorithms, then the "Algorithms in a Nutshell" is not primarily for you. Abstruse explanations of the basic algorithms make this book readable only for experts in Computer Science field. Perhaps, authors for the sake of pages, decided to explain topics in a short and complex manner.

A practical guide gives you multiple algorithms in three programming languages such as C++, Python and Java, moreover, authors provide with pseudocode to each algorithm that the
Spencer
May 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: technical
I enjoyed this book. The approach is sound. The charts and short descriptions are very useful.
Janardan Misra
Experimental Algorithmics is an emerging area of active interest and this is one of the few books presenting the subject matter from the point of programmers and discussing the relative efficiency of algorithms from practitioner's perspective.
Yuriy
Not more algorythms, only basic (but A* Star have been contaned in).
Nice infographics with main info for each algoryhtm.
Good that author used C and Java for examples, not only pseudocode.
Yuh-Jia Lim
Jul 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming
Pros:
A quick read for sorting and search algorithms. Clear explanations and to-the-point. Very practical.

Cons:
Does not provide a very comprehensive list or sorting algorithms.
Ruslan
Jun 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book gives a short but broad overview of popular algorithms.

In general, there is just technical implementation and description of each topic and lack of context/applications. In my opinion, the context of algorithms would not only improve readability, but also help understand topic better(as it was in last chapter). I liked author's approach of comparing different algorithms in terms of time & space complexity. Some ideas were presented poorly and basic wikipedia page was much clearer to me
Carlo
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: computer-systems
This book is meant to be a handy desk reference to the most commonly used algorithms, and for that purpose, it's perfect. If you're expecting a tutorial style book or a comprehensive reference, you'll be disappointed.
Vinil Gupta
Pretty relevant even now given the fact how old the book is.
Dorothy Wingrove
Sep 25, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Assumes a lot of knowledge. Not written in a clear or understandable way.
A lot of information in the book isn't required which slows down progress getting to the crux of the information.
Fábio
Oct 09, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-hold
The book uses too much of its space to talk about benchmarks that serve no purpose. Those benchmarks are machine-dependent and it will be different for each machine that runs them. It is pointless to even look at them.

The analysis of the presented algorithms is very superficial.

This is not a book I would pick as a first book and I wouldn't go out of my way to read it. Because I've made already to the 7th chapter, I will finish it. But only because I've already invested too much time into it.
Dariusz
May 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, informatyka
Skończyła się w momencie gdy zaczynało robić się ciekawie
Frank
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Does a fair job of it. Not much good for interviews though.
Josh Davis
This is a nice little book to keep on a shelf. It wouldn't be my first pick as a reference for algorithms, however. It was worth reading as it doesn't focus much on the theory of algorithms, instead it focuses on the application of algorithms. It has very helpful "fact sheets" that includes pseudocode and run-time complexity for common algorithms. Overall, it is definitely worth reading but I wouldn't go out of my way to read it.
Sefa
Jan 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Compendium of basic algorithms on sorting, searching, graphs and computational geometry. Code examples in C, C++, Java and Ruby. This book might have been more useful when it was first published, but now we have ton of algorithms stuff online, sometimes with nice visualization. If you know what algorithm you need, it might be easier to look online rather than having this book on your desk. It's still a nice book, though.
Max Galkin
Average quality. Wouldn't recommend this book. Lacks struсture (not clear why this set of algorithms is covered and why in this order), lacks theoretical soundness, almost no algorithm analysis. The books is definitely not appropriate for learning those algorithms from scratch, and not even particularly appropriate for refreshing the knowledge.
One positive factor I can highlight: nice graphical summaries and overall nice illustration for algorithms.
Noah
Aug 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is amazingly awesome. Super practical boiled down algorithms useful for everyday programming and extremely well organized for reference and algorithm selection. Although not light reading, it is very non-crufty. This is a great book to read and have on the bookshelf for those deeply involved in the craft of programming.
Alan
Feb 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming
A reference any programmer can benefit from, yes you might have covered some of these algorithms in college/school but this is a concise practical format with some good low level examples of implementation. I read this in preparing for interviews and it helped enormously, refreshing algorithms that I'd neglected or used seldom.
Ben
Nov 06, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A decent recap of major algorithms, but too much time is spent on showing tables of not-very-valuable runtime performance numbers. More text could have been devote to the concepts themselves or pseudo-code that skipped the implementation details to keep things concise.
Marshall Upshur
Oct 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this is a good book to read before delving fully into the Algorithm Design manual or heavier algorithms books. Good refresher and quick guide to highly used sorts and such.
Douglas
May 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Too far over my head for my daily use, but bound to come in handy.
Topilno

• Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship
  • Domain-Driven Design Distilled
  • 97 Things Every Programmer Should Know: Collective Wisdom from the Experts
  • Cracking the Coding Interview: 150 Programming Questions and Solutions
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: Quandary Phase (Hitchhiker's Guide: Radio Play, #4)
  • The Honor of the Queen (Honor Harrington, #2)
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: The Quintessential Phase (Hitchhiker's Guide: Radio Play, #5)
  • The White Mountains (The Tripods, #1)
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: Tertiary Phase (Hitchhiker's Guide: Radio Play, #3)
  • Perl Testing: A Developer's Notebook
  • Cassandra 3.x High Availability - Second Edition
  • Cassandra High Availability
  • The Complete Guide to Breast Cancer: How to Feel Empowered and Take Control
  • Making Games for the Atari 2600
  • Mastering Regular Expressions
  • The Music of the Primes: Searching to Solve the Greatest Mystery in Mathematics

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
George T. Heineman is an Associate Professor of Computer Science at WPI. His research interests are in Software Engineering. He co-edited the 2001 book "Component-Based Software Engineering: Putting the Pieces Together". He is nearly half-way towards his childhood goal of writing one million lines of code.

Aside from his professional pursuits, George is an avid puzzler. He invented Sujiken(R), a Su