Start by marking “Linux System Programming: Talking Directly to the Kernel and C Library” as Want to Read:
Linux System Programming: Talking Directly to the Kernel and C Library

Linux System Programming: Talking Directly to the Kernel and C Library

Write software that draws directly on services offered by the Linux kernel and core system libraries. With this comprehensive book, Linux kernel contributor Robert Love provides you with a tutorial on Linux system programming, a reference manual on Linux system calls, and an insider’s guide to writing smarter, faster code.

Love clearly distinguishes between POSIX standard f
Published May 14th 2013 by O'Reilly Media (first published January 1st 2007)

Start your review of Linux System Programming: Talking Directly to the Kernel and C Library
Bokieie
This had lots of good, practical advice.
Foxtrot
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good introduction to the low-level layers of Linux systems. Note that this is not a comprehensive approach to how Linux works. Prior knowledge and experience on Linux systems are advised to take the most out of this reading.

It is a really good book if you hacked your way through Linux and you feel you would be more efficient if you knew how things actually work under the hood.
It provides a good illustration of the Linux everything is a file philosophy by describing the consequences of various
Arun
Jun 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cs
I really loved Love's Linux Kernel Development (LKD) book (I have read it couple of times) and I read this book in delirium immediately after I gobbled up the LKD book. This books can be kept as a reference on Linux system programming and one has to go to it periodically to check up facts while doing coding. In a way it is most helpful when u have a computer handy so u can type the example programs side by side while u read from the book (I didn't do it that way!). From my own investigation ther ...more
Paul Ivanov
Oct 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful way to dive into systems programming and start getting a handle on the standard things the kernel does for you. Though Linux is in the title, Robert Love does a good job of covering the commonalities and departures from other unix-like systems out there. Parts of the book read a bit too much like man pages (I tended to mostly skip the paragraph long descriptions of each possible errno that can be set by each new call - that'd be useful as a reference, but not on your initial read-thr ...more
Tuấn Anh Nguyễn
Good concise introduction. For references, Linux Programming Interface is more comprehensive.
br
Jan 29, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read_in_2015

"В наборе компиляторов GNU (DNU Compiler Connection, GCC)"

Качество перевода, количество опечаток и отсутствие редактуры удручает. По возможности избегайте книг, изданных издательством "Питер".
Emma
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book about how Linux works under the hood.
Perhaps a bit low level to be directly relevant to TC but really helped my overall understanding of Linux as an OS
lehaleha
Oct 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It started well, became a bit boring to the end, but it's book about API after all, not exactly action-packed topic :) It does its job well. ...more
Diego Pino
I think this is one of the best books, if not the best, about systems programming in Linux (FWIW, I'm not aware of any other book in the same category). By systems programming we understand programming that requires services provided by the Linux kernel, which usually are satisfied via system calls. The book is categorized in chapters, each chapter covering a topic (I/O, threading, memory management, process management, etc) and a good share of system calls. Examples are also provided.

I have to
Murray Cumming
Sep 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tech
This book was a great chance for me to become more familiar with a lower level of Linux programming, which I usually manage to avoid unless absolutely necessary. I've gained a sense of the APIs used by system level software, such as daemons and services. I've also realized what extra tricks are available even to a regular application that wants to ask the Linux kernel to optimize for its own behaviour when dealing with large amounts of memory or lots of I/O.

After the excellent introduction, it b
Dee
May 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Highly readable, entirely useful.

O'Reilly books tend to have a very high standard of clarity and general smartness and accuracy. This book was no surprise.

With nonfiction and technical writing it is always a pleasure to find what you were seeking and then to find some more, which you didn't even know you wanted to know.

As an intermediate programmer who is interested in systems programming in the C language, I am utterly satisfied by this book
Bhaskar Chowdhury
This book and the other title Linux Kernel Development shaped/wrap my mind around the process and to know the inner working of the system in more details. It was fascinating and invigorating to read such a wonderfully written book on such a complex system. Thank you Robert, your books make my understanding of my beloived subject more intriguing and interesting.

My understanding of the subject solidified by your books. A kudo is not enough for you , but you deserve more.
Edward Llewellyn
A very readable book for a programming manual - he not only goes over the API, but has well thought out suggestions as to when or how you should use particular programming interfaces, as well as which ones are most portable.

He also gets into some of the internals of the latest Linux version so you can write efficient programs for your applications.

Steve
Jun 21, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very clear, if sometimes excessive look through systems programming on Linux. I think many of the individual functions and flags that weren't being discussed in-depth could have been left for the reader to dig through the man page.

Other than that, I definitely recommend it.
Alex
Jul 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Almost no fluff, very detailed and at the same time not that huge in confront to Rich Steven's book. Great syscalls and low level linux design explained from one of the kernel devs. Linux Kernel Development is another his book which is already in my reading queue. ...more
Paul
Nov 23, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Странная книжка: подробно разжёвываются очень очевидные вещи вроде известных по K&R вызовов, которые есть в стандарте, в то время как более специфические моменты рассказаны вскользь. Перевод корявый. Примерно через год надо будет перечитать, т.к. для запоминания одного прочтения мало.
Tudor Ștefănescu
some good insights about the internal stuff that happens behind the standard library calls.
Sherif Shehab
Nov 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's the best book ever when It comes about Linux internals, stuff like Multi threading, timers, IPC is perfectly explained in this book. ...more
Kirill
Mar 24, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: linux, programming, unix
Для новичка в Linux типа меня по-моему вполне дельно, пусть и слишком много пересказов манов
Knr

• God's Debris: A Thought Experiment
  • Eat to Live: The Revolutionary Formula for Fast and Sustained Weight Loss
  • Father's Chinese Opera
  • All about High-Frequency Trading
  • The Willpower Instinct: How Self-Control Works, Why It Matters, and What You Can Do to Get More of It
  • The Knowledge Machine: How Irrationality Created Modern Science
  • Option Volatility & Pricing: Advanced Trading Strategies and Techniques
  • Relativity: The Special and the General Theory
  • The Millionaire Next Door: The Surprising Secrets of America's Wealthy
  • Elements of Modern Algebra
  • Embedded C Coding Standard
  • Computer Organization & Design: The Hardware/Software Interface
  • Sally's Cookie Addiction: Irresistible Cookies, Cookie Bars, Shortbread, and More from the Creator of Sally's Baking Addiction
  • Daggers & Dresses (Enlighten Series Book 2)
  • Wars & Wings (Enlighten #3)
  • Embedded C [With CDROM]

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »