Start by marking “The Hueys in None the Number: A Counting Adventure” as Want to Read:
The Hueys in None the Number: A Counting Adventure

The Hueys in None the Number: A Counting Adventure

(The Hueys)

Learn to count with the #1 New York Times bestselling artist of THE DAY THE CRAYONS QUIT and his hilarious cast of Hueys!

"Is none a number?" you might ask. I'm glad you did. The answer is Yes! For example, how many lumps of cheese do you see next to you? The answer, depending on where you are, is likely "none." Counting with the reader all the way up to ten, the Hueys ex
Published July 1st 2014 by Philomel (first published May 8th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Hueys in None the Number, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hueys in None the Number

Archit Ojha
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks
96% of the universe is made out of nothing. So yes, it does turn out that none is a number.
Joel
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Picture Book Favorites

Probably the most entertaining counting book I’ve ever read.
Carly
Jun 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Hooray for more adventures with the super kooky Hueys! We adored this!

None the Number is a super fun counting Huey adventure. It is filled with all the wit and charm you can always expect with a Jeffers book. The Hueys are having a number discussion. It all kicks off with one Huey trying to explain to the other about the number 0.

Leave it to those quirky little fellows to put a cheeky little bit of confusion into counting. Is none really an number? What do you think?

Each page is filled with supe
Angela
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Hueys are egg-shaped "people". This is a great series that tackles quite complex ideas simply for the target age range (3-8).

In this book, the concept is none/zero as a number. Most children learn to count from 1, so I love this book!
It reinforces addition (0+1 is 1) and subtraction (1 less than 1 is 0), and "adds one" to count from 0 to 10 and then takes them all away to get 0 again.
Some of the depictions are hilarious. I love the 4 tantrums (children will be able to relate, whether it's a
paula
Ok let's just start with the two Hueys on the title page who are holding up fingers to indicate "Zero, one, two, three." They totally look like they are throwing up gang signs, and I LOVE THAT.

Then let's address the fact that FOUR is the number of tantrums Kevin throws every day. Some kids will nod and go, "I know a kid like Kevin," and others will be like, "Man, I'm so glad Kevin isn't my brother," while still others will be reassured. "I totally throw four tantrums a day," they'll think. "Whew
Leilah Skelton
May 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Lots of picture books explore counting one to ten, but not many tackle the concept of 'none'. Oliver Jeffers returns to his hilariously expressive Hueys to help explain. Along the way we count some rather unusual fare: The number of Kevin's daily tantrums, the number of seagulls after Frank's chips, and a rather splendid collection of chairs...

Oliver Jeffers is an award-winning and best-selling author/illustrator. Every small person ought to spend a little time exploring his wonderful imaginatio
Sandra
Aug 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Some time ago, my 4 year old son proudly showed me how he could make 6 adding 3+3, and 2+2+2. I showed him we could do 5+1 and 4+2 too. Then he realized we could make 1+2+3 and 1+1+4! I was so excited I decided to push him a little further and showed him we could make 6+0=6! His smile faded from his face all of a sudden, and very serious he told me "Mom, zero is not a number!". When I came across this book I knew it was perfect for him.

This is an original counting book. Forget about counting con
Nancy
Jul 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book makes counting fun.

I have to admit, when I was young, and someone told me that zero was a number I could not wrap my head around it. I so wish I had this book to help me understand the “none” is a number. You just have to look at it through the Huey’s eyes.

With simple illustrations, the Hueys will guide your young scholar with the challenging task of learning to count. Be it one blue phone or five hats or ten trumpeters walking by – when they are all gone you are left with none.

I love
Janet
Jul 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
This counting book does not appear to be intended for young children just learning to count. Some of the items being counted are abstract concepts that they wouldn't understand. (One examples is "two sleeps until the big day.")

However, the book could work for older children who'd enjoy a more complex variation on counting books written for preschoolers.

Michele Knott
Cute number story. I really like that it includes and tries to define the number zero. There are many humorous parts, but I feel like some of the jokes will go over the heads of the young children this book is intended for.
Kelly
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Jeffers takes the Hueys into the realm of numbers...and it's great!
Brittany
A counting book that starts with NONE instead of one. A is a little young but he still read it s couple times.
Julie Grasso
Dec 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
We loved this book so much it was funny
Alicia Evans
I loved Jeffers's other books/illustrations so I wanted to try more. This book is a cute take on the traditional counting book and my first introduction to the Hueys. I really liked the concept and the silly illustrations. I like that there's a focus on "none," which is not something that gets discussed often in books for this age.

For: readers wanting a silly counting book.

Possible red flags: some readers may think the book is too unconventional or confusing to be a helpful counting book for yo
E
Dec 09, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: board-book
Saw this as a board book and snatched it up, but better for the older crowd than where we are at currently. I'm guessing maybe best for ages 3-5 or 6? If you kid enjoys the back and forth of the secondary text in the Little Pookie books, then they will probably be old enough to appreciate it here. But I do think some of the references are too advanced, and they didn't really go into the the relationship between none and zero...
PeopleTree
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Hueys Rule!

My niece and nephew are in stitches. I must admit to giggling a bit too! The Hueys do everything you would want from them and more besides. Educational and witty. Oliver Jeffers is a must have in every childhood.
Shofam
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: carolyn
One of my very favorite writer illustrators right now!
Austria Kovalenko
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Never laughed so much when counting to 10 😂
Gabriella
Apr 27, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: year-1
Good book. Somewhat different from normal counting books and layout. Would be good to read children alongside their learning but maybe perhaps not in a specific subject context.
Villain E
Aug 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This would be a great explanation of the number zero, except the word "zero" is nowhere in the story.
Engel Dreizehn
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would suggest as a sneaky humored counting (which includes zero) book the parents can enjoy while reading with the kids and very much the Jeffers style of art.
Dorothy Mahoney
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fun and clever counting adventure with an explanation on the back cover of the history of zero
as a number. Favorite page: nine seagulls that are after Frank's chips!
Michelle Gray
Themes: counting
Meredith Kaupp
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love it!
kc
Dec 24, 2017 added it
This is a very cute book for kids learning to count. It explains the concept of 'none' (zero) being a number. With great illustrations, The Hueys in None the Number: A Counting Adventure can make learning to count much more fun for children!
Dolly
Dec 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We've read the three books (so far) in the series about The Hueys by Oliver Jeffers and our girls really like them.

The stories are simple, almost too babyish for them, but there's a sophisticated kind of witty humor that they get and appeals to them. The illustrations are very cartoonish and the Hueys themselves look very jellybean-ish to me, but I think that adds to the simple sincerity of the book. We really enjoyed reading this book together.

The only criticism I have is that the wonderful a
crashqueen73
Oct 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love Oliver Jeffers illustrations and he can really do no wrong for me when I see those pictures. They just really appeal to me for whatever strange and bizarre reason.

This book was no different. I loved the illustrations. My personal favourite was the number 8 and all the Huey's trying to guess what was in the gift. My four year old's favourite was the seagulls and the chips for number nine and number four was very relate- able. I could easily have inserted her name onto that page, "the numbe
Dena (Batch of Books)
Jun 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
It's no secret that I'm a big fan of Oliver Jeffers and his books. The Hueys in None the Number: A Counting Adventure is no exception. Jeffers brings his unique sense of humor and wacky yet charming illustrations to another fantastic picture book.

The thing I love the most about this book is the humor and the unpredictable items the reader gets to count. I also love the debate over zero being a number.

If you are looking for good counting books for your little one's library, be sure to check th
Rhonda K
Sep 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a Conor favorite, as are many of Jeffers' titles. It has characters that are fun to voice when reading aloud, a series of pages for counting fun objects up to 10, and of course the deep philosophical question: Is none a number? We had fun discussing what none means. The illustrations are typical Jeffers - simple and clean and expressive. Loved it. Will probably get this from the library again.
Jesse
Jul 23, 2014 rated it liked it
I was hoping this would be a numerical companion to The Day the Crayons Quit, but that is not the case. It serves its purpose of teaching children the first eleven numbers, including zero. While I like the idea of a different kind of counting book, I wished the story was more relatable to most children's lives (who balances oranges on things?), as in Crayons.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Worst Princess
  • Bear Counts
  • 1-2-3 Peas
  • Have You Seen My Dragon?
  • Eggs, 1, 2, 3: Who Will The Babies Be?
  • 123 Dream
  • Pretty Kitty
  • One Two That's My Shoe!
  • Grandma's Tiny House: A Counting Story!
  • Ten Black Dots
  • Sheep 101
  • The Troublemaker
  • Hermelin: The Detective Mouse
  • Shh! We Have a Plan
Oliver Jeffers' work takes many forms. His distinctive paintings have been exhibited in galleries worldwide, and HarperCollins UK and Penguin USA publish his award-winning picture books, now translated into over 30 languages.

In 2007, Jeffers was the official illustrator for World Book Day, and in 2008 Lost and Found became Oliver's first book to made into animation by London-based Studio AKA.

Jeffe

The Hueys (4 books)
  • The Hueys in the New Sweater
  • The Hueys in... It Wasn't Me
  • What’s the Opposite? (The Hueys)