Start by marking “Picture Maker” as Want to Read:
Picture Maker

Picture Maker

(Norse/Mohawk Trilogy #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  524 ratings  ·  72 reviews
Across the ocean, the Crusades had ended. Three plagues devastated Europe, killing Europeans by the hundreds of thousands. But in North America, born into a powerful clan of women, Picture Maker is gifted with the ability to etch drawings that foreshadow the future. Her prophecy of war saves her beloved Ganeogaono people, but leads to her own brutal capture by the Algonqui ...more
Published January 1st 2002 by Dutton Adult

To ask other readers questions about Picture Maker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Picture Maker

really liked it 4.00  ·

Diane
Jul 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Again, this is how I like my history lessons! Stories that take historical events and tell us what the poeple were doing and feeling during those events. I really really liked this book!
Andrea Dowd
Oct 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who like books about strong women or early history
I found Picture Maker on a shelf at the school coffee shop and I couldn't put it down. It's a story of a young Native American girl, post-Neanderthal but pre-European settlement. She is taken from her tribe by another tribe and is raped and abused. She flees from her captors and finds herself among the strange pale people of what would be Canada. She eventually makes a long and arduous journey across the ocean to Northern Europe and makes a life for herself, not of the people and not of any trib ...more
Calli
Jul 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I was very moved by this novel. You cannot help but be entranced by the incredible pain and subsequent journey of Garahstah a.k.a. Picture Maker, the main character. You will cry and you will find yourself utterly amazed at the life and times of this young native American girl. The trials that she endures will break your heart and you will wonder how anyone survived in these times and in these conditions.
Barbara
Feb 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
While this book is fiction it does contain some well researched information about how life was being lived before Columbus came to America. It covers several different Native American cultures as well as "Greenlander" [Norweigen settlers:] through the eyes of a young Mohawk girl. I felt it was very well written and captured my interest right away. I read it almost constantly and enjoyed it very much.
Judy Taylor
Dec 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novel

One of my very favorite books ever. It is jam packed with adventure,thrills, imagination. I feel like the author spent enormous amount of time doing research for this wonderful piece of art. The people of this time period went through so many hardships and trials, both natural and mankind. Their perseverance and bravery for surviving in this young girl was just awesome.
Marianne
Very interesting, well researched and written. Took awhile to get into it, and I took loooong breaks in between readings, but it was just wonderful. Really enjoyed it. Such an amazing journey and reading experience.
Melissa
Apr 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
I've seen this book considered prehistoric fiction by a lot of people. And I even confused it for that at first myself. But this actually takes place somewhere around the 1300's to 1400's so it's not as far back as you would think. So while it may share some similarities with that genre, this book really shouldn't be compared to the Earth's Children Series or the Gear's prehistoric fiction.

Picture Maker is an important daughter in her tribe. Because of her tribe's equality of women, she has grow
Mimi
Mar 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fascinating study of Northeastern Native American culture during the 14th-15th centuries A.D.. In this coming-of-age tale, Picture Maker, a young Iroquois girl experiences Algonquin, Naskapi, and Inuit culture first hand before she discovers her ultimate destiny in Greenland.

Into this fascinating and romantic tale, Ms. Spinka intricately weaves the cultural traditions of each group of Native Americans as well as the history of the Norse in Greenland (as a matter of fact, the descriptio
Karina Ambartsoumian Clough
Aug 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
I loved the depth of the mane character who goes through many different paths and thus names. It is compelling and there is a history lesson to be learned here. I thought that the novel became a little drawn out in the end but nevertheless the story will captivate you and draw you in.
Mars Girl
Oct 05, 2008 rated it liked it
Well, it was interesting enough to keep me reading... but it was really already done with Jean Aul's _Clan of the Cave Bear_, which I read in 7th grade. I got this book for really cheap at a church book fair so it was good enough for the read at the price I paid. Not life shattering, though.
Vonnie
Oct 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting read about Native Americans,Eskimos,and the Vikings and beliefs that are so much a part of each culture. Makes you think about your own religion through the eyes of someone else's perspective.
Tom Hooker
Jul 04, 2009 rated it liked it
Set in the time when the Vikings first discovered America, a young Native American girl is forced into an odyssey which takes her from her own world into that of the Vikings. She must learn to adapt to her new life, and to lead the Vikings to an understanding of her life, as well.
Stefanie
Jun 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
The story started out a little predictable, but i still found my self drawn to the main caracter. Glad i keep rading this one!
Melanie
Oct 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
This tale of a native American woman's journey into herself and out in the world is perceptive and reflective. I really recommend it
Chosovi
Nov 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
Quite good actually. Ive had it for awhile, and picked it up out of boredom. A few chapters in, is when i fell in love with the character Picture Maker, and her adverntures.
Christine
Nov 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Loved this historical fiction.
Wendy Purnell
Apr 22, 2008 rated it liked it
This was a really interesting book that took alot of twists and turns. An american indian girl escapes and ends up living with the eskimos and ends up in Greenland. Really cool.
Vicki
Jun 23, 2009 rated it liked it
Very good and interesting story of Native-North American peoples.
Carly
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-i-own
Did not finish.

I wanted to like this book, I really did. The premise is so cool and I haven't read anything about Native American people and folkelore since...ever? But this book is just off. If I had to summarize why this book frustrated me, I'd say it's because it's just...flat. Characters are flat, plot is flat, writing is pretty flat too. Important plot events happened way too fast with barely any reflection by the protagonist. Horrible things happened to her very unceremoniously simply beca
Tami Barrett
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I absolutely loved this story and the history it portrayed is really good. However, I am unable to give 5 stars because of all the spelling, punctuation and grammatical errors. It appears Penina does not have a proofreader or editor for her books. Other than that this is a great first book in the Trilogy.
Karen
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I rarely read a book twice but this was one of the most mind-provoking books ever and I know someday I will read it again. Although I read it in 2002, it still rings in my mind as one of the greatest historical fiction books written.
Loreleilouise
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. Thoroughly researched. The author used her research to create a compelling heroine and to flesh out all those with whom 'Picture Maker' came into contact with and lived among.
Rox
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read this for the first time about 15 years ago. Even better with the passage of time.
Sue
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. We should all learn history this way
Marion Godwin
Aug 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book came to me via a charity shop on a chance outing, and i must admit, i was drawn primarily by the cover artwork which was reminiscent of my copies of the first three 'Earths Children' books. I was further convinced to part with £1.50 when i saw the statement 'In the style of Jean M Auel'.

There are similarities that have been pointed out by various other people, and i compare them a lot in my review, that's mostly for the benefit Auel readers who looked/are looking to this series, or th
Diana
Nov 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
The story is set in the 1300’s when the Norseman discovered Greenland and Newfoundland. They established settlements or way stations along the Greenland coast.
Picture Maker is a twelve year old girl who lives in the Ganeogaono (Mohawk) tribe, which is the most easterly tribe of the Iroquois nation. An Onondaga shaman wants to be the chief over all longhouse nations. His followers are a threat to several tribes including Picture Maker’s tribe. The men in her village leave to fight against the sh
Crystal
Honestly, the only reason that I'm even giving this book 2 stars is because I like the author's writing style. Spinka writes in such a way that her descriptions are vivid, but not too "flowery" like Jean Auel's "Earth's Children" series. Her characters are developed and likable. I'm not sure how factually correct everything was, but I didn't notice anything glaringly incorrect in the story, and I liked the way she Spinka showed the similarities and differences between each tribe's customs and be ...more
Rachel
The fascinating story of a young girl, Picture Maker, in the 14th century kidnapped from her Ganeogaono tribal home and forced to become a slave to the Algonquins who call her people the Mohawks. She has the ability to draw pictures which sometimes have prophetic meaning. She escapes and travels to live with the Naskapi people. From here her journey takes her with the Inuit to Northern Europe where she learns a new way of life and language. It is here she meets Halvard, a Norseman, with whom she ...more
Lois
Mar 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
"Picture Maker" has the same shape as Ayla's story in "Clan of the Cave Bear" although historically it takes place in 1300s North America and Greenland instead of on the Russian steppes in prehistoric times. I found the story somewhat predictable and long, but enjoyed it nonetheless. Because our protagonist travels through so many lands and Peoples, it is an interesting study in comparative cultures as well as being a story about a resilient, independent woman-child who endures the unendurable a ...more
Tonia
Jan 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
I judged this book by it's sleeve description. Hungry to read about stories of a different time from my own country Canada, I took this book home. The first few chapters were slow moving but I persevered and truly enjoyed this book. She adapts to live with each group after she is taken captive after her village is attacked, and the reader is taken through the lives of so many different people's, learning about their lifestyles and traditions. As an accidental traveler, Picture Maker moves along ...more
« previous 1 3 next »
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. Indigenous Journey, Marries Viking. [s] 4 83 Mar 11, 2019 03:46AM

• Daughter of Kura
  • The Reindeer Hunters (Reindeer Hunters, #3)
  • Call Down the Stars (Storyteller Trilogy, #3)
  • People of the Owl (North America's Forgotten Past, #11)
  • The Children of First Man
  • Let the Drum Speak (Kwani, #3)
  • The Blessing Stone
  • Reindeer Moon (Reindeer Moon, #1)
  • Great Sky Woman (Great Sky Woman, #1)
  • Beyond the Sea of Ice (The First Americans, #1)
  • The Year the Horses Came (Earthsong #1)
  • Circles of Stone (Mother People, #1)
  • Goat Song
  • Next Door Daddy (Mule Hollow, #7)
  • The Baby Chronicles
  • Song of the Wolf
  • People of the Raven (North America's Forgotten Past, #12)
  • Ghost Warrior

Norse/Mohawk Trilogy (3 books)
  • Dream Weaver (Norse/Mohawk Trilogy, #2)
  • Hidden in Mist