Start by marking “The Less Wrong Sequences” as Want to Read:
The Less Wrong Sequences

The Less Wrong Sequences

A sequence is a series of multiple posts on Less Wrong on the same topic, to coherently and fully explore a particular thesis.

Reading the sequences is the most systematic way to approach the Less Wrong archives.
ebook, 2013-04-28, 1007 pages
Published by LessWrong.com

To ask other readers questions about The Less Wrong Sequences, please sign up.
Sergei Sequences are collections of blog posts by Yudkowsky grouped by topic. Here is the index of all sequences:

The…more

The main sequences are "Map and Territory", "Mysterious Answers to Mysterious Questions", and "How To Actually Change Your Mind".

In my opinion, "How To Actually Change Your Mind" is by far the most important. Notice that it consists of several "sub-sequences". Here is the index:

Hope this helps!(less)

Ivan Vuković
The book is very informative and I really liked some parts, but it was a very difficult read. Why? Because Yudkowsky simply LOVES beating a dead horse. There's just too much repetition and sloppy writing, although the ideas are great.

It's just... It ought to be more concise and clear.
Ben Pace
Jun 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Having now read EVERY post by Eliezer Yudkowsky on Less Wrong, I can say I have thoroughly enjoyed it and benefitted immensely. The Sequences are a smaller portion conveying many important ideas, but by reading all the posts you get a stronger sense of direction, and see where all of the philosophy leads to.

Incredible ideas, by an incredible thinker.
Riikka
Jun 08, 2016 rated it liked it
This one was really hard to rate as my reactions to each post and sequence varied from "jeez, this just nailed it" to "meh, why are you explaining the same thing over and over again". I admit only skimming through many of the metaethics-sequence posts and might have given four stars if that one was left out. My rating doesn't reflect on how much I appreciate the writer doing and writing what he does - it IS important trying to explain things out in various ways, even for the people with creation ...more
Mati Roy
Dec 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: free
This is about how to overcome bias, which is really important in order to take good decisions, so I recommend it to most people. And it's well written, so it's fun to read! The first sequence was about bayesian probability, which is something I already knew about since I study physics engineering, but I've still learned new things. And in the other sequences, I'm definitely learning a lot.
Yuta Tamberg
As it is impossible to finish these things - re-reading has to start even before one reaches the end - I arbitrarily pronounce them read now.
Adam Zerner
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The best and most life changing thing ever.
Thomas Lemoine
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Sequences are blog posts from Eliezer Yudkowsky written from 2006 to 2009. Subjects include Rationality, cognitive biases, some psychology, evolutionary psychology, quantum physics, morality and more. The second and third books were my favorite.
Shai Horowitz
Best manual on rationality
Timo
Jun 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is the "book" that has had the largest impact on my life. I want more people to read it. Especially those who want to save the world.
Matt
Mar 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A truly well written and organized collection about how to inspect your own mind from the inside. Reading this has enriched me greatly.
Paulo Ribeiro
Nov 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any human being
Shelves: rationality
It's worth 4,5 stars, but it's a so important reading that it received five.
Mads Haneborg
Luke Bechtel
Oct 31, 2012
Aleš
Sep 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Radically changes the way you think about the world
Frommi
Apr 04, 2015
Harri Besceli
Jan 21, 2017
Jamie Johnson
rated it did not like it
Sep 24, 2015

• The Quantum Theory of Fields: Volume I, Foundations
  • Facing the Intelligence Explosion
  • Cognitive Science: An Introduction to the Science of the Mind
  • Quantum Computation and Quantum Information
  • Probabilistic Reasoning in Intelligent Systems: Networks of Plausible Inference
  • Computability and Logic
  • Elements of the Theory of Computation
  • Rational Choice in an Uncertain World: The Psychology of Judgement and Decision Making
  • Ra
  • Probability Theory: The Logic of Science
  • Think Bayes
  • Heuristics and Biases: The Psychology of Intuitive Judgment
From Wikipedia:

Eliezer Shlomo Yudkowsky is an American artificial intelligence researcher concerned with the singularity and an advocate of friendly artificial intelligence, living in Redwood City, California.

Yudkowsky did not attend high school and is an autodidact with no formal education in artificial intelligence. He co-founded the nonprofit Singularity Institute for Artificial Intelligence (
“It's a most peculiar psychology—this business of 'Science is based on faith too, so there!' Typically this is said by people who claim that faith is a good thing. Then why do they say 'Science is based on faith too!' in that angry-triumphal tone, rather than as a compliment? And a rather dangerous compliment to give, one would think, from their perspective. If science is based on 'faith', then science is of the same kind as religion—directly comparable. If science is a religion, it is the religion that heals the sick and reveals the secrets of the stars. It would make sense to say, 'The priests of science can blatantly, publicly, verifiably walk on the Moon as a faith-based miracle, and your priests' faith can't do the same.' Are you sure you wish to go there, oh faithist? Perhaps, on further reflection, you would prefer to retract this whole business of 'Science is a religion too!” 34 likes
“You need one whole hell of a lot of rationality before it does anything but lead you into new and interesting mistakes.” 4 likes