Start by marking “Generations: The History of America's Future, 1584 to 2069” as Want to Read:
Generations: The History of America's Future, 1584 to 2069

Generations: The History of America's Future, 1584 to 2069

Hailed by national leaders as politically diverse as former Vice President Al Gore and former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, Generations has been heralded by reviewers as a brilliant, if somewhat unsettling, reassessment of where America is heading.

William Strauss and Neil Howe posit the history of America as a succession of generational biographies, beginning in 1584 and en
Published September 30th 1992 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Generations, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Generations

Bruce Kuznicki
Dec 10, 2010 rated it liked it
I liked this book and found its basic idea intriguing. However, as the book progressed, in particular as it addressed elements of history I am knowledgeable about, I saw that the authors' scholarship was sometimes shoddy; they misused elements of history they knew superficially or not at all in ways that made me doubt them generally. Essentially, I encountered this often enough to begin suspecting they were simply assuming their overall theory was correct and had not done the rigorous work of tr ...more
Peter Mcloughlin
In the tradition of Arthur Schlesinger Jr. idea of cycles of American history Strauss has a cycle of US history grounded in generational cycles. According to Strauss and By my calendar there are four Generations on the stage at present older Silent Generation (adaptive) that was conformist company men who followed orders and kept their heads down, Boomers (idealists) spiritual souls, inner directed dreamers (yet so full of themselves), 13th generation or Gen Xers as we are called these days prag ...more
Elizabeth
Nov 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, history
There are several aspects of this book to review. Writing style: a bit dry. This is forgivable: the authors are laying out a hypothesis that covers almost 500 years of American history, and they want to make sure you've got all their evidence. I figure the book could've been tightened up, but I guess it's better they erred on the side of too much explanation rather than not enough.

The generational theory: plausible and fascinating. The authors summarize the history of 14 generations of Americans
Aimeslee
Jan 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Ok, about this book, I'm cultish. Inside its pages are all the truths one needs to understand history, time and how it changes. Seriously. I am an ardent believer in this generational history theory. I see it every single day.

Take the current presidential race. Obama's camp figured out at the beginning how to fuel change: grab the Millenials' loyalty by branding Obama as cool and *one of them*. (Millenials generation is 1982-2000 approximately). GenX (1961-1981) soon followed suit, as they do te
Simone Collins
Mar 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: coolhunting
There are only so many books in the world capable of revolutionizing the way one views people and trends. Generations is one of these rare treasures. This 538-page tome co-authored by William Strauss and Neil Howe, lays the foundation of a fascinating theory about generational, social, and political patterns and trends in the United States.

Howe and Strauss argue that since its inception, the United States has seen four repeating generational cohorts which are labeled as Idealists, Reactives, Civ
Nick
Jul 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Howe & Strauss present a very interesting and useful theory about how generations are different and what makes them so. It is called the generational archetype of four different generational types which follow one another in a repeating order:
Idealist, Reactive, Civic, and Adaptive.

There are two divisions in the generations:
Dominant (idealist & civic)
Recessive (reactive and adaptive).

The dominant generations follow from a spiritual awakening (idealists) or from a secular crisis (civi
Lori
Aug 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Lori by: history buffs; people interested in generational cycles
Shelves: nonfiction, history
This is one of the most fascinating theories I have ever read and considered. Can the cycles of history be predicted (in broad brush strokes, of course) by the general character traits displayed by the elderly, the middle aged, the young adults and the children of each generational cycle. The authors suggest that, yes, somewhat accurate predictions can be made.

The rest is a very intriguing look at American history and the people who have played a role in this history at various points in their l
Stacey
Oct 13, 2013 rated it liked it
I read the 1991 edition of this book meaning it came out when I was one of those little Millennials, not really in the scenes of society. We were just children raised in a protected and loving homes. I have to say some of the predictions were a bit kooky but there were a few were spot on. I do see my generation more team-oriented, community-based folks while many of us do get along with our Boomer aged parents.

It's fun to read about our American history in a different lens through generations a
Michael
Apr 11, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
The book explicitly states a desire to risk "predicting" future trends, so that readers of the future could easily judge his theories for their pragmatic worth. Fifteen years after publication, confirmation of this book's concepts can be found in both the macro environment of world events and the microcosm of the thoughtful reader's own web of social interactions: with parents, coworkers, peers and children.

The book's thesis is that American history follows a near-century long cycle of four ge
Jen
May 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is a fascinating way to learn history. It makes the history of the US very tangible. I am still deciding the extent to which history is shaped by the characteristics of the generation in charge. There are some revolutionary implications here.
Rob Salkowitz
Jan 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
One of the most important and influential books of the last 20 years. Offers a completely novel way to look at American history with breathtaking explanatory and predictive power. A huge inspiration for my own work.
John Beeler
Jul 11, 2007 rated it did not like it
This book is a joke. Ha!
Casey
Oct 21, 2016 marked it as to-read
Reading this with hopes to gain insight into why Trump is an actual candidate for presidency.
anguinea
Nov 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I really was intrigued by this book and find myself referring back to it a lot.
Martin Lowery
Jan 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Generations presented an unique and very interesting theory that could be applied to all of history as we know it.

The book itself was tedious at times, and also very repetitive. While the first 100 pages, where the authors first formulate their theory, was fabulous, the proceeding chapters where they try and apply the theory to historical generations began to become dry.

Towards the end, the book picks up, when it applies the generational theory to the modern day and makes predictions about the
Matthew Richards
Dec 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
Approaching American history from the perspective of age location cohort groups moving through history, showing how different generations experience crises based on their upbringing, and how they interact with other generations was a really unique and invigorating. I have to credit Strauss and Howe for coming up with it.

Unfortunately, they also came up with this really wacky hypothesis about how there are four basic "personalities" of generations (idealistic, reactive, civic, and adaptive) that
Ben Newton
Mar 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
I've been wanting to read this book for years because I had started wondering on my own if generations were substantively different from each other and moved in cycles, although I had only gotten as far as positing 2 generational archetypes and not the four this book suggests. I hadn't read the book before now because I was concerned I was a little bit TOO ready to embrace the ideas in this book and wouldn't be reading it with a critical enough eye. I think I was right, because it is the nature ...more
Heather Denigan
May 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: world, polysci, history
Even if one shouldn't swallow the authors' conclusions without careful chewing, there's plenty of good stuff here. Two main takeaways: the argument and the methodology. The first four chapters and Appendix A all contain great material.

1) Methodology: Strauss and Howe raise the question: What do we mean when we talk about "generations?" They point out that "generation" has no set definition and has been arbitrarily applied. It can mean 18 years or 40, depending on who you ask. It can mean everyon
Scot
Jul 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
Well, that sucked.

The overarching theory, that generations affect the society they live in, and the society affects the generations growing up in them, I can buy. Their specific 4-stroke generational theory, though? Not convincing at all.

Early in the book, they make their case that what matters for a generation is birth year, not the parents of the generation. (they accompany this argument with a scientifically illiterate chart showing the spread of birth years from one generation to the next, i
Kristy
Sep 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is probably best read alongside The Fourth Turning by the same authors. Using historical data and adding their own work to the modern theory of generations, they show a pattern that repeats throughout American history. There are recurring cycles of spiritual awakenings and secular crises that impact and are impacted by the repeating types of generations they describe.

For any scientists out there who are fans of the book Panarchy, this description of repeating cycles may sound very fami
Chrisl
Sep 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Still remember/perceive with concepts learned ... wanted recently to reread ... book no longer available from regional libraries. May request interlibrary loan.

quote from wiki - "According to the theory, historical events are associated with recurring generational personas (Archetypes). These generational personas unleash a new era (called a turning) in which a new social, political, and economic climate exists. These successive eras (turnings) tend to las
Johnny
Jul 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
Everything in cycles.....poorly supported and generalistic examples pad a pretty fundamentally interesting read. Unfortunate that they cherry picked examples to fit their model rather take a truly objective look at generations. This book could've been GREAT, but as it stands it's merely GOOD.
Bobby J. Hill Jr.
Jul 07, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in how generations work.
This book offers great insight into the generations of America and how they were shaped. Why they did the things they did. It also puts forth a radical theory of a cyclical pattern that American generations generally follow. Overall a very good, informative read.
Jim
Feb 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Generations is a four and three quarters book. Its flawed in thinking too much of a schema. However, the schema is highly accurate. I read the book in 1999 and found it compelling, compelling enough to read the Fourth Turning, wherein, the authors toned down the...almost Hegelian or Platonic abstraction, into which one fits the empirical.
I keep thinking of this book though, over years.
A couple of things I wish to note: first is the survey of Generation X, as compared to a similar survey of what
John Henry
Nov 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-library
Eccl. 1:4 Generations come and generations go, but the earth remains forever.
Strauss and Howe write, “Just as history produces generations, so too generations produce history.” This interaction requires critical events, “social moments,” or spiritual awakenings, which define a generation. A generation can trigger a social moment, and therefore “define history.” (35)

Strauss and Howe have shown that every generational cycle has four types of generations, which typically alternate dominant and rece
Erik Rostad
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Exceptional book. The authors look back through American history to identify 4 generation types, 5 cycles of these 4 generations, and then take that information to extrapolate into the future. Written in 1991, their future predictions are frighteningly prescient.

I loved this book. It provided a framework to consider American history. I wish I had read this earlier in life, for it would have helped me place historical events, people, and turning points within a setting of generations. It was amaz
Rich
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent! Only drawback is that the book was written in 1991 and it's been 25 years since the first edition. I don't mind if the predictions are somewhat off as it relates to both my Gen X and the Millennials. The book was highly enjoyable.
Kathleen Kirchner
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really fascinating, especially the predictions for the future.
Philippe  Bogdanoff
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book.
Generation Theory - a useful tool
To understand and deal with different generations.
This is a must read for anyone, who is interested in history, social study, economics.
Michael Hughes
Nov 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: anthropology
I first read Generations in 1994 and found it to be an interesting explanation of how different generations of Americans react differently to similar events. The book concluded with predictions of what would happen in American in the near future.

In 2002, I realized that things were happening very close to the predictions. So I read the book again to gain a better understanding of Howe's and Strauss' theory and realized that they had been even closer in their predictions than I had remembered.

S
Amazing 15-y.o. book discusses today's headlines 1 17 Apr 11, 2007 01:13PM
  • Millennials Rising: The Next Great Generation
  • The Nine Nations of North America
  • How We Got Here: The 70's: The Decade that Brought You Modern Life (For Better or Worse)
  • The Last Party: Studio 54, Disco, and the Culture of the Night
  • Daring to Be Bad: Radical Feminism in America, 1967-1975
  • Homeward Bound: American Families In The Cold War Era
  • Cosmosapiens: Human Evolution from the Origin of the Universe
  • Sisterhood, Interrupted: From Radical Women to Grrls Gone Wild
  • Big Questions, Worthy Dreams: Mentoring Young Adults in Their Search for Meaning, Purpose, and Faith
  • Paratexts: Thresholds of Interpretation
  • From Front Porch to Back Seat: Courtship in Twentieth-Century America
  • Beneath the Metropolis: The Secret Lives of Cities
  • The Seventies: The Great Shift In American Culture, Society, And Politics
  • The Event of Literature
  • Media Unlimited: How the Torrent of Images & Sounds Overwhelms Our Lives
  • The Sociology of Philosophies: A Global Theory of Intellectual Change
  • When Sex Goes to School: Warring Views on Sex--and Sex Education--Since the Sixties
  • The Americans, Vol. 1: The Colonial Experience