Start by marking “Chocolate Beach (Chocolate Series #1)” as Want to Read:
Chocolate Beach (Chocolate Series #1)

Chocolate Beach (Chocolate #1)

3.35  ·  Rating details ·  894 Ratings  ·  111 Reviews
Bri Stone has the man of her dreams, a surf-ridin' son, a chocolate-loving best friend, and a job as a SoCal tour bus host. Throw in an intrusive mother-in-law, a flirty new boss, a vocal nemesis, and suspicions that her husband might be bored—and Bri's rose-colored sunglasses suddenly crack. Can Bri reinvent herself--and recapture his heart?

Chocolate Beach ebook is the sp
Published February 1st 2007 by Bethany House

To ask other readers questions about Chocolate Beach, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chocolate Beach

Sep 09, 2013 rated it did not like it
This book drove me nearly insane with it's never ending chatter and complete lack of focus. I skipped 40% in the middle and I didn't missed a single plot point. So much information that does nothing to advance the story. I kept thinking I'll finally get to the "good part" if I skip ahead to the main character's confrontation with her husband, but it kept getting put off and then when the confrontation happened it was a complete let down. It was so frustrating. It reminds me of one of Danielle St ...more
Tonya Joy
Jun 21, 2012 rated it did not like it
This book was so hard to get through, because the writing was unclear. I marked at least a dozen pop-culture references from Glee, to Desperate Housewives, or My Big Fat Greek Wedding. Pop culture references are fine to use in books, but they should not be the only depictions present. When I read, "the place was straight out of My Big Fat Greek Wedding," my only thought is, "wow, this author didn't even work hard enough to create a unique dinning setting." I do not entirely blame the author. I a ...more
SUMMARY: Bri Stone has the man of her dreams, a surf-ridin' son, a chocolate-loving best friend, and a job as a SoCal tour bus host. Throw in an intrusive mother-in-law, a flirty new boss, a vocal nemesis, and suspicions that her husband might be bored--and Bri's rose-colored sunglasses suddenly crack. Can Bri reinvent herself--and recapture his heart?

REVIEW: This was a light, easy to read chick lit story; but I felt overall it went on too long with a bit too much repetitive detail. Bri, the mai
Nov 02, 2010 rated it did not like it
I wanted to like this book. Every once in a while I try a "Christian Fiction" book because I like clean books (that's why I mostly read young adult fiction). But I too often find that Christian authors are poor authors. Feel free to send any recommendations to disprove this generalization. But Chocolate Beach was awful. I didn't even finished, although I tried, I really did. The dialogue is horrible! The plot is gruesomely slow and the religion seems forced and fake. A young teenage beach bunny ...more
Catherine Mcneill
Aug 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
I received this Kindle book free via It was a good fast read with a Christian theme. The story is about a married woman in her early 30s married to a successful attorney, with a 13 year old son who live in a beach house in Ventura, CA. Being somewhat familiar with the area the book takes place added to my enjoyment of the book. I can also tell the author is into country western music as she quotes many country songs.
Mar 25, 2013 rated it did not like it
Ugh, picked this up at the library in the audiobook section to listen to when driving to a business meeting. How can anything that includes chocolate & the beach not be good. Well, I missed the part about the book having religious messages when searching the shelves. Just unexpected & not in a good way.
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Nice story, a tiny bit predictable but that is forgiven because of the nice flow. It’s a lighthearted and fun story with some lessons on “judging a book by its cover!” (Pun intended)
Julie Graves
Jan 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian, 2011-reads
Brianna Stone has the perfect beach life. She has the perfectly hunky/lawyer husband, the perfect son, the perfect home on the beach and the perfect job. Things seem to be spiraling downhill though.

Bri’s perfect husband Douglas is working long hours. When a snide remark from one of her acquaintances points out to her that maybe her life isn’t so perfect, Bri begins to feel that maybe she needs to make some changes in her life to keep her husband interested in her.

Bri embarks on a mission to chan
Oct 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book started okay and then it just wouldn't end. The heroine, through hints from her "friends" and the fact that he seems to be working unusually long hours, begins to worry that her husband of 14 years may no longer be satisfied with their relationship. There are a few flashbacks to how they met, which add a sweet romantic side story. But most of the present day stuff is annoying. Nearly every person and situation is described using some sort of pop culture reference. If you'd rather stare ...more
Cheryl Kimbrough Fairbank
Chocolate Beach was not a novel that stole my attention (deep sigh). I had difficulty maintaining my focus. Too many (ho-hum) trifle details (like having a conversation with a chatty friend who can't stop talking long enough to show, instead of tell). The story theme was positive and the author shows integrity in her work- which was clean, without being "preachy". Yet, the story lacked conflict. The author could have deepened the plot, which might have at least built a little suspense. And yes, ...more
Jul 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
I don't like to give bad reviews. It doesn't mean I don't appreciate all the effort and time the author put into their work, I do appreciate it, but sometimes the end product isn't completely enjoyable.
I finished this book just because I don't like to have unfinished business and also in hopes that it would get better in the end. I'm sorry to say it didn't.
The story was too predictable.

I had a hard time trying to like the girl/woman in this story. As for me, the author tried too hard to make her
Feb 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
First let me start off by saying this book was a free read on my kindle, and therefore my opinions may have differed had I paid for it. The story over all was decent enough for what it was. The author did a fairly decent job at giving you relate able characters and strong relationships between them. However I found more than a few typos (which could have simply been in the kindle edition) and a few grammar errors. The biggest problem I had with the book was it didn't flow smoothly. There were aw ...more
Mar 20, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chris by: Karen Kingsbury beyond the clouds
Jun 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was cute.
Bri loved the beach and has her son loving to ride the waves.
She does not cook but loves to make brownies which she shares with her friend.
Her husband has not been around much for a few weeks. He is an attorney and is busy with a court case.
They drift apart. She thinks he needs things upscaled around the house and has the living room redone. She even changes her hair style and clothes.
Her boss decides to turn the business over to her son only he is a nutcase, and does a pass at Bri
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
Jan 01, 2015 rated it did not like it
This popped up as a Kindle freebie and I loved the title and the premise sounded promising. I finished it, but it dragged on and on.

I have such a hard time with limp female characters. I can't even call her the heroine of the story, because there is no story. Bri has a pretty cushy life, but like a toddler, she moves from thing to thing. The minutiae of her life was trite and tiresome. Her husband is busy with his job and because of suggestions and hints from jealous friends, she assumes he doe
Katie W
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
A clean, Christian story of a woman with a busy lawyer hubby and a surfing obsessed teenage son. Brianna has always been a beach lover and happy-go-lucky, but now has doubts about her husband's love for her. After instigating some changes in her life, and being subjected to there, her life seems to be crashing down around her.

The chocolate recipes at the back were interesting, but something about the story just felt flat to me. It seemed that something was up with her teen, yet there was no dept
Kristine White
Jun 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Alice V.
Feb 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was such a fun book to read. It made me feel like I was right there in the middle of it all. Bri faces challenges when her husband is working late too much. And her surfer son is always on the go. She tries to make changes at home but it does not feel the same. It is a great read and shows the importance of family and best friends (Gaby). Chocolate brownies play a special part.

This was Julie's first book that I got for free on my Amazon Kindle. I loved it so much I bought every other book s
Catherine Richmond
I could really relate to this heroine! Not just Brianna's chocolate consumption, although that was major. But the tension in her marriage when her husband travelled and worked long hours.

I liked Bri's teenage son and his friends. So many books fall back on the stereotypical sullen teen. How refreshing to find Nathan diving into the Bible and sharing his faith with his friends. And Aunt Dot was a treasure - she needs her own book!

And now, please excuse me, I have some new chocolate recipes to t
May 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun and easy poolside or backyard read. So glad the author put the recipes at the end. Nothing worse than not being able to try recipes that are mentioned in a story! I'm not sure why this received such critical reviews. Bri reminds me of a beachside Bridget Jones. It's not supposed to be a serious literary classic read like Bronte. I only gave 4 stars instead of 5 because the grammatical errors in the second half of the book were a bit distracting. Looking forward to reading the remaining books ...more
Wendy Jones
Jun 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Overall I enjoyed this book and found it to be a light and entertaining read. It is the sory of Bri who feels that her husband of 14 years is bored with their marraige. She then sets out to do something about it. Initially I thought it was a bit difficulot to get going and I couldn't identify with the charcters, but this soon changed. I found myself wanting to keep reading to learn more. This is a christian novel bu the christianity is not overpowering and I think blended in really well. If you ...more
Jul 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012
This was a fun, beach read. It also included some wonderful chocolate recipes.

The editing in this book was atrocious. In fact, I'm doubting that any editing happened at all. It looked like the author wrote a rough draft and sent it straight to print. Grammar and spelling mistakes abound. In on place, the wrong character name was used.

That aside, if you are looking for light, clean entertainment for the beach or poolside, this could be it.
Jun 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chocolate and the beach two of my favorite things!! This was a fun easy clean read. It kept my interest and the ending surprised me. The Kindle edition I read had some typos in it. Otherwise I enjoyed it. It was a definite plus that they added recipes in the back that were mentioned in the book. I can't wait to try some. Oh, and the interview in the back (read it only after you are done) made me smile!! I would read another book by Julie Carobini.
Joyce (Chloe)
Mar 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Witty beach read … hits the spot,” Publisher’s Weekly. E-book is the special Recipe Edition.

Can Bri reinvent herself--and recapture his heart?
J. King
Sep 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Christian chick-lit, but laid back on a beach. Started slowly—not necessarily a bad thing, as some wonderful stories start slowly. After a hundred pages or so, I was falling in love with the characters, and enjoying the story increasingly as I went along. And I simply loved how Bri's fears and suspicions resolved. (Poor Bri. How many times have we done something like that?) I'd like to read more books like this.
Stacey Goans

This book was okay. It was free so I gave it a try. The author gets lost a lot in telling the story. There was a lot of extraneous information that wasn't needed & didn't contribute to the story. The whole time I was reading I just kept thinking, "why doesn't she just go talk to her husband?" I'll be skipping the sequels.
Nov 19, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I only finished the prologue and it was not looking good. The book substituted "you're" for the meaning "your" twice, this did not bode well. Sure enough I managed to finish the first chapter and just could not slog through all the grammatical and editing errors. Did not want to punish myself further so did not finish.
Donna G
Aug 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
For a christian novel, I thought the tone of the book was very snarky and sarcastic. I would have found it snarky and sarcastic for any novel. The descriptions lacked depth and rather relied on references to pop culture that not everyone may have been familiar with. I wanted to like it more, but think this was a 2. 5 stars at best.
Jun 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: on-my-kindle
I found this one very difficult to review. On the one hand, I did really enjoy the story. But the first 1/3 of book was a bit disjointed, more like a series of vignettes than a cohesive whole. That threw me out of the story and almost made me put it down. I am glad I continued with it, but I wish the beginning had been better.
I liked this book, but didn't just love it. Maybe it was my mood at the time (I'm a very moody reader), or maybe I just had a hard time getting into the characters, but it moved a bit slow for me. It was a good story and likeable characters, good setting, good message, but I didn't just fly through it, as I do with many books.
Madison Mega-Mara...: #122 - Chocolate Beach 1 1 Jul 28, 2015 12:37PM
  • Prodigal Nights
  • Blame It On The Mistletoe (Bright's Pond #4)
  • The Glory of Green (Green #3)
  • How Sweet It Is
  • Surrendered Hearts (Vermont Blessings, #2)
  • The Mother Road
  • Beyond the Storm (Quilts of Love, #1)
  • Cafe du Jour
  • Accidentally Yours
  • Cancelled (The Red Ink Collection, #1)
  • Sleeping Beauty WAKES UP!
  • Eye of the God
  • Cooking the Books (Sloane Templeton Mysteries #1)
  • Ordained Irreverence (Elmo Jenkins #1)
  • Cafenova (Clairmont Series #1)
  • Secrets (The Michelli Family Series #1)
  • The First Gardener
  • False Pretenses (Secrets of Roux River Bayou, #1)
JULIE CAROBINI writes inspirational beach romances and cozy mysteries … with a twist. She is known for spunky heroines, charming heroes, quirky friends, and the secrets they keep. Her bestselling titles include Walking on Sea Glass, the Otter Bay Novels, The Christmas Thief, All Was Calm, and more. Julie has received awards for writing and editing from The National League of American Pen Women and ...more
More about Julie Carobini...

Chocolate (3 books)
  • Truffles By The Sea (Chocolate #2)
  • Mocha Sunrise (Chocolate #3)

Romance Deals

• Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick #2)
    $4.99 $2
  • Before I Knew (The Cabots, #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Spiraled (Callahan & McLane #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Bailey (Ace Security #3)
  • The Girl in Times Square: A Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Daring Arrangement (The Four Hundred, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Return to Homecoming Ranch (Pine River Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up Book 1)
    $3.99 $2
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Accidentally Hers (Sterling Canyon, #1)
  • The Third Wish: A Novella
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Walking on Her Grave (Rogue River, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Repressed (Deadly Secrets, #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Beautiful Broken Promises (Broken #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Chosen (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #15)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • From Sand and Ash
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Dreamology
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Curse Breakers (The Curse Keepers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • Out of Control (Troubleshooters, #4)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
  • The Devil's Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Chilled (Bone Secrets, #2)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Curse Keepers (The Curse Keepers #1)
  • Love, Chloe
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Bearly in Control (Shifters Undercover, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
“We are like eggs at present. And you cannot go on indefinitely being just an ordinary, decent egg. We must be hatched or go bad.” 1 likes