Start by marking “Genograms: Assessment and Intervention” as Want to Read:
Genograms: Assessment and Intervention

Genograms: Assessment and Intervention

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  315 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Now updated and expanded in its third edition, and featuring revised genograms for easier reading, reflecting the growing and widespread use of genograms for clinical intervention, this best-selling text provides a standard method for constructing a genogram, doing a genogram interview, and interpreting the results. Genograms of famous families—Sigmund Freud, Woody Allen a ...more
Paperback, Third Edition, 416 pages
Published February 17th 2008 by W. W. Norton Company (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Genograms, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Genograms

The Badger
Jul 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
I don't think this textbook would've made as much sense if I hadn't used it in conjunction with the genogram software and mapped out the different healthy/unhealthy bonds and connections within my own family. The completed genograms are NOT something you want to frame and bring to the next family event, unless you've got a "How-did-she-end-up-like-that?" family--in which case, go for it...

For those of you just starting your own genograms for your grad school programs: if you've got a huge Greek
Melissa
Sep 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Putting this to good use on the software I have in my computer for my current classes and it is amazing to see the connections of issues, blessings, curses, and various aspects of my family dynamics.
Marilis Loperena
Mar 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Looking forward to reading.
Tiara Sosialita
Oct 27, 2016 rated it liked it
For every clinicians, knowledge about genograms is an important. Significantly. By means of knowing interconnection (our) clients position in family, how he/her family members relate each other, what the pip events he/her family passed by, and how the family history, we would know more about clients as an individual. This book gimme those qualities. It helps me to understand how I could design a genograms for enrich my personal information. It helps me to conduct assesment and (also) interventio ...more
Sammie
Feb 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: psychology
There is a lot of information to take in when reading this book. I never would have thought there was so much to think about when going back through your families history. I didn't read every chapter, but what I read, and by putting together my very own genogram for my family stories class, I found out a lot about my family and the patterns throughout the multi generational theory. I definitely can see where clinicians would use genograms when working with clients.
Mary Davidson
Jan 10, 2012 rated it it was ok
I didn't finish the book, because after studying the charts and reading the first two chapters, it seemed pointless to finish. The technique was articulated well in the first few pages, and the examples brought the genogram to life. I felt no need to finish the book, especially with so many other books that I am more interested in.
Emily Ellison
Dec 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Really interesting book on genograms. I never thought there was that much to know about genograms. I really liked how the authors used real life examples for the actual genograms. Famous people's genograms are shown along with just ordinary examples. All of the symbols are explained as well. Information on interviewing clients to put together a genogram is also given. Pretty good textbook.
Claire
Sep 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: family-therapy
Used for a genogram project. Useful information on family systems dynamics but without the theoretical terms attached. Anyone could pick this up and delve into their family. I believe it's the go to for this kind of work.
Aimee
Jan 08, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Bowenian Therapist
Recommended to Aimee by: My Bowen Professor
Shelves: therapy
Mehh. It is what it is. A genogram book. It helped in doing my genogram assignment and it will be helpful if I focus on using genograms for therapy.
Rocky
Apr 20, 2010 added it
Good read - knowledge enhanced.
Tami Groth
Mar 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very useful for both learning how to create genograms and as an ongoing reference book on the subject. Great color examples.
Thane Keller
Feb 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Clear concise portrayal of using genograms in counseling and their purpose
Marcia
Rachel
Apr 26, 2017
  • Interpersonal Process in Therapy: An Integrative Model
  • Family Therapy: Concepts and Methods
  • Grief Counseling and Grief Therapy: A Handbook for the Mental Health Professional
  • Current Psychotherapies
  • Family Therapy: An Overview
  • Clinical Interviewing
  • The Complete Adult Psychotherapy Treatment Planner
  • Competent Christian Counseling, Volume One: Foundations and Practice of Compassionate Soul Care
  • Handbook of Clinical Psychopharmacology for Therapists
  • Modern Psychotherapies: A Conversation about Truth, Morality, Culture & a Few Other Things That Matter
  • The Marriage Clinic - A Scientifically Based Marital Therapy
  • Families and Family Therapy
  • The Family Crucible: The Intense Experience of Family Therapy (Perennial Library)
  • Issues and Ethics in the Helping Professions
  • Building Motivational Interviewing Skills: A Practitioner Workbook
  • Selecting Effective Treatments: A Comprehensive, Systematic Guide to Treating Mental Disorders
  • The Practice of Emotionally Focused Couple Therapy: Creating Connection