Start by marking “Genograms: Assessment and Intervention” as Want to Read:
Genograms: Assessment and Intervention

Genograms: Assessment and Intervention

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  179 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Now updated and expanded in its third edition, and featuring revised genograms for easier reading, reflecting the growing and widespread use of genograms for clinical intervention, this best-selling text provides a standard method for constructing a genogram, doing a genogram interview, and interpreting the results. Genograms of famous families—Sigmund Freud, Woody Allen a ...more
Paperback, Third Edition, 416 pages
Published February 17th 2008 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Genograms, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Genograms

Melissa
Putting this to good use on the software I have in my computer for my current classes and it is amazing to see the connections of issues, blessings, curses, and various aspects of my family dynamics.
Sammie
There is a lot of information to take in when reading this book. I never would have thought there was so much to think about when going back through your families history. I didn't read every chapter, but what I read, and by putting together my very own genogram for my family stories class, I found out a lot about my family and the patterns throughout the multi generational theory. I definitely can see where clinicians would use genograms when working with clients.
Emily Ellison
Really interesting book on genograms. I never thought there was that much to know about genograms. I really liked how the authors used real life examples for the actual genograms. Famous people's genograms are shown along with just ordinary examples. All of the symbols are explained as well. Information on interviewing clients to put together a genogram is also given. Pretty good textbook.
Mary Davidson
I didn't finish the book, because after studying the charts and reading the first two chapters, it seemed pointless to finish. The technique was articulated well in the first few pages, and the examples brought the genogram to life. I felt no need to finish the book, especially with so many other books that I am more interested in.
Claire
Used for a genogram project. Useful information on family systems dynamics but without the theoretical terms attached. Anyone could pick this up and delve into their family. I believe it's the go to for this kind of work.
Aimee
Mar 04, 2008 Aimee rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Bowenian Therapist
Recommended to Aimee by: My Bowen Professor
Shelves: therapy
Mehh. It is what it is. A genogram book. It helped in doing my genogram assignment and it will be helpful if I focus on using genograms for therapy.
Tami Groth
Very useful for both learning how to create genograms and as an ongoing reference book on the subject. Great color examples.
Rocky
Apr 20, 2010 Rocky added it
Good read - knowledge enhanced.
Sophie Lembeck
Sophie Lembeck marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Kim Frances
Kim Frances marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
Justin
Justin marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Connie Davila
Connie Davila marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Sarah added it
May 16, 2015
Eric
Eric added it
May 14, 2015
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Rawan
Rawan marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Tahany Altarifi
Tahany Altarifi marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Amanda Lambert
Amanda Lambert marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Family Therapy: Concepts and Methods
  • Interpersonal Process in Therapy: An Integrative Model
  • Current Psychotherapies
  • Grief Counseling and Grief Therapy: A Handbook for the Mental Health Professional
  • Families & Family Therapy
  • The Marriage Clinic: A Scientifically Based Marital Therapy
  • Handbook of Clinical Psychopharmacology for Therapists
  • Issues and Ethics in the Helping Professions
  • The Family Crucible
  • The Practice of Emotionally Focused Couple Therapy: Creating Connection
  • Internal Family Systems Therapy
  • On Being a Therapist (Jossey Bass Social and Behavioral Science Series)
  • Psychoanalytic Case Formulation
  • Intentional Interviewing and Counseling: Facilitating Client Development in a Multicultural Society
  • The Complete Adult Psychotherapy Treatment Planner
  • Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition (DSM-5)
  • Attachment in Psychotherapy
  • Inside Out and Outside In: Psychodynamic Clinical Theory and Practice in Contemporary Multicultural Contexts
Ethnicity and Family Therapy You Can Go Home Again: Reconnecting With Your Family Re-Visioning Family Therapy: Race, Culture, and Gender in Clinical Practice The Expanded Family Life Cycle: Individual, Family, and Social Perspectives Genograms in Family Assessment