Start by marking “Sharp Objects” as Want to Read:
Sharp Objects

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Sharp Objects

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  405,729 Ratings  ·  30,562 Reviews
Fresh from a brief stay at a psych hospital, reporter Camille Preaker faces a troubling assignment: she must return to her tiny hometown to cover the murders of two preteen girls. For years, Camille has hardly spoken to her neurotic, hypochondriac mother or to the half-sister she barely knows: a beautiful thirteen-year-old with an eerie grip on the town. Now, installed in ...more
Published 2006 by Broadway Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Sharp Objects, please sign up.
Ashley Fox I don't think that Sharp Objects is aimed more for women. It is more graphic than Gone Girl, but less gory than Dark Places. I read all three recently…moreI don't think that Sharp Objects is aimed more for women. It is more graphic than Gone Girl, but less gory than Dark Places. I read all three recently and I liked Dark Places best, followed by Sharp Objects, then Gone Girl. What I didn't like about Gone Girl was the fact that I knew there was a plot twist (not the fault of the author) and I guessed what it was. I was able to guess half of the ending of Sharp Objects (there was still a surprise that I didn't see coming) but with Dark Places there were so many characters and situations that I really couldn't guess what the outcome was until I read it. (less)
Ashley Fox If you are very disturbed by images and thoughts of razor blades, I would stay away from this book. The protagonist thinks a lot about cutting and…moreIf you are very disturbed by images and thoughts of razor blades, I would stay away from this book. The protagonist thinks a lot about cutting and specific instances of her cutting her own skin are described in detail. I wouldn't say that it was written in a gory way, but it is graphic.(less)

Emily May
Jun 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Emily May by: Tatiana
“The face you give the world tells the world how to treat you.”

There is something deeply unhealthy about this book. It's in the characters, in the story, in the relationships, in the sex, and just in the general mood of the novel. Reading this made me feel a little unwell, both physically and mentally, but I am glad I did. If you know me, you'll know I love complex characters with issues that feel raw and real, rather than melodramatic. The people in this novel are majorly fucked up, no one is
RandomAnthony
Aug 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Last week I read the fuck out of Gillian Flynn's catalog. Three novels in eight days while my wife and kids were out of town and a sweltering late July marooned me in one of the house's two air conditioned rooms. So although this review is primarily for Sharp Objects, my favorite of Flynn's trio, let me go on record with Gone Girl (four stars, go read another of the zillion of reviews) and Dark Places (three stars, maybe too many narratives perspectives and too willing to wallow in the muck) as ...more
Alex
Little buddy read with Her Majesty La Lionne and Jerry on January 31st!! :D

This is my third Gillian Flynn book, after Gone Girl and Dark Places. The first one blew my mind, the second one freaked me out a little and this one really scared me.

Sure, after reading 5% of it I was like
Hosted by imgur.com
--a creepy story with the potential of giving me special nightmares,

but by 90% I was like
Hosted by imgur.com
WTF did I just read??

All the characters were disturbing, especially even the children.

Allow me to start with Camille. She's a
Simon Cleveland, PhD
The razor blade on the front cover of the book is what one yearns for right after embarking on this read, sharp blade with which to cut every single page, one by one, until they are so neatly shredded that even the memory of what was written on them becomes non existent. And then, one can use the same razor to end one's own life.

I'm still unsure what the author was thinking when she began this book, unless she had some very deep and very disturbing mental issues to work through.

This book is da
Emma Giordano
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobooks
2.5 Stars. Unfortunately, I did not love this book and it is probably my least favorite of Gillian Flynn's work. As this was her debut, I'm happy to say I feel her later works show great improvement and a lot of strength.

CW: self-harm, sexualization of children, murder, child abuse (I don't normally put content warnings under spoilers but this warning is so integral to the ending AND it's so specific that I don't want people attacking me for spoiling the book) (view spoiler)
Raeleen Lemay
*3.5/5*

I felt like this book was way too slow paced for how short it was, and it sort of bugged me that the big reveal and explanation was left to the VERY end. It was like nothing nothing nothing BAM EVERYTHING.

However, the ending was crazy and twisted and I loved it! I just wish that craziness had been spread out a bit, because when I finally got it, it was over too fast.

Overall, a pretty good read.
Mohammed Arabey
Sep 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
عالم النساء..معقد، متشابك، صعب فهمه..مضطهدا سواء كان المجتمع شرقيا أم غربيا
وهذه الرواية الكئيبة السوداوية تقتحم جانب مظلم من هذا العالم

كتبتها أمرأة..تقتحم جوانب نفسية معقدة لثلاث شخصيات رئيسية من النساء بأعمار مختلفة..شخصيات قاتمة ، مظلمة
قد تجد بعض تصرفاتهم كريهة، بغيضة..صعبة ،مريضة.. لكن من أنت لتحكم عليهم، بالاخص من مكاني بعالم الرجال
فالرواية تعرّي ايضا استغلالنا لهم احيانا، تعرّي المجتمع ونمطية نظره وتمييزه ضد المرأة

هناك روايات تتعايش مع أحداثها ، كأنك في موقع اﻷحداث وتعرف اﻷبطال جيدا..قليل
Paquita Maria Sanchez
Jul 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature
Well, this was a pleasant surprise. I remember all the ruckus over Gillian Flynn a while back, and my resulting tracing (not carving) of a mental note on my palm that I should eventually read something by this gal because everybody was all in a tizzy over her wonderfulmousnessity back whenever, and I was confused by that fact based on the book descriptions alone. It all just sounded like mass market thrillers dressed up in fancy lit fic suits. Ya know, the stuff of mediocre books which sometimes ...more
Will Byrnes
Camille Preaker is a young Chicago reporter with a troubled past. When a second young girl goes missing in her home town, Wind Gap, MO, Camille’s fatherly boss sends her down to get the inside scoop. Who says you can’t go home again? Well, maybe you can, but would you really want to? There is a reason she is in Chicago, instead of Podunk, MO, and the danger for Camille lies as much with her delicate psychological state, a product of her childhood, as it might with a psycho-killer on the loose. " ...more
Tatiana
May 10, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of all things disturbing
Recommended to Tatiana by: Rachel Michaux
As seen on The Readventurer

If you ask me which words come into my mind first whenever I think of this book, my answer will be: nasty, dark, twisted, disturbing.

In this rather traumatizing psychological thriller Camille Preaker, a troubled newspaper reporter, is sent to her home town to get the inside scoop on the murders of two preteen girls - both were strangled and had their teeth removed. As we follow Camille on her quest to obtain as much information as possible about the crimes, we learn mu
Lola  Reviewer
3.5 stars.

I’ll be honest, I was scared to read this book.

It gave me horror vibes, and because I do not read horror – with very few exceptions on Halloween – I didn’t even want to think about reading this book.

But then an opportunity fell into my lap, and so here we are.

Turns out, it’s not scary. But it is quite disturbing. I can’t wait to watch the series with Amy Adams. It has got to be pretty captivating and I am curious to meet all of these characters on screen, perhaps they will be far more
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
Disturbing story. Disturbing characters. This book will make you feel uncomfortable, that's what Gillian Flynn does best!

I'm not sure I loved it but it's definitely the best written thriller I've read so far this year... still only getting 3.5 stars though!

I did suspect the right people but the twists were still... well disturbing!
Samadrita
When I had first come across rave reviews of Gone Girl, I was bowled over by the fact that there's after all a woman who is brave enough to try her hand at a genre rarely ventured into by women writers. And apparently, she excels at it too. Surely, she couldn't have hoodwinked hordes of unsuspecting readers into giving her books such high ratings.
So I had decided I'd devour Gillian Flynn's entire oeuvre starting with her first published work.

Needless to say, that it is with obvious disappointme
karen
Apr 30, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
okay so i,of course, was initially drawn to this book because it has shiny cover. i am like a magpie or a raccoon or something... and then it just sat on the shelf for ages and one day i read the description of it somewhere. and it's all "whore" on her ankle and "pain" on her heart or whatever.(which is not on the back cover copy, but is right up there in the goodreads.com description) and i thought - "oooh you are so edgy and shocking!!" and i rolled my eyes and figured i would just never read ...more
Kaylin (The Hiatus Queen)
1 Star

Overview:

I should have known better. I don’t have an excuse.

I read Gillian Flynn's other book, Gone Girl, last year—and wasn’t a fan. Everyone raved about it, but I found the characters shallow, the plot twists weak, and the narrative so busy being cynical it didn’t seem to know what it was trying to say.

Nevertheless, I’d heard great things about Gillian Flynn’s writing. So I went into this with an open mind--- maybe I had just started with the wrong book!

But I really should have known
j e w e l s [Books Bejeweled]
“I just think some women aren't made to be mothers. And some women aren't made to be daughters.”
― Gillian Flynn, Sharp Objects

This is one of the darkest, most disturbing books I've ever read. And I love it. Well, today I love it. I picked it up years ago, started reading and was like "no way Jose". I had read Dark Places and Gone Girl and, of course, thought I could handle Sharp Objects, the Gillian Flynn debut. I wasn't ready at the time for this little monster of a book.

The extremely creepy p
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
I don't know about you, but in my opinion this is WAY better than Gone Girl, I think this one is a hidden gem.

It's a lot more subtle but that's why it works more. This is one spine-chilling disturbing and dark book and I absolutely loved it. Some of the scenes in this book literally just stunned me. Very clever writing from Gillian Flynn.

When two girls are abducted and killed in Missouri, journalist Camille Preaker is sent back to her home town to report on the crimes. Long-haunted by a childho
Elyse
Nov 02, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've had both "Sharp Objects" and "Dark Places" for years....but, hey, I'm slow.

I picked "Sharp Objects" to read first when I heard Amy Adams is going to be the leading actress in a drama series.

I wasn't expecting so much violence. This is a very dark disturbing story.....
......but my favorite parts were the psychological aspects of he mother/daughter relationship. When a child has a mother from hell - kinda shapes your life
from the 'get-go' and not in a pretty way.

I can already see Amy Adam
Aug 06, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Chuck Palahniuk fans
From the first page, I felt the author had just finished a Chuck Palahniuk novel and decided she wanted to be like him when she grew up. Sentence fragments can be fun if you're in the mood for things like "A belly. A smell. He was suddenly standing next to me." (Not exact quotes, but pretty close.) I wasn't in the mood, and it was irritating. Also, I couldn't enjoy the main character. I found the scene where she was 12 years old and in someone's hunting shed, full of dead, bloody animals and por ...more
Troy
Jun 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Terrific book, truly creepy. A page turner about a journalist going back to her tiny Missouri home town to cover the recent murders of two little girls. Gillian Flynn's writing in Entertainment Weekly has always been a notch above, and her first novel is no disappointment.

What's remarkable about this book is that it focuses on some of the most damaged and interesting women I've ever seen in fiction. Strong women in fiction usually means one of three things:

1) Ass-kickers in fantastic outfits tha
Suzanne
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: donated-owned
Finally I climbed out under my rock to read my first GF novel. I was happy I did. Camille got under my skin, zero pun intended, and I enjoyed the whole ride. Whilst graphic, I wasn’t bothered, and whilst dark this was fine too. I was impressed with the writing of this book and understand why this author has hit it off worldwide.

Camille is a very troubled young woman, a mediocre journalist and a recovering cutter. Self harming herself in the most dreadful way, by inscribing words into her skin. A
Laz
Jun 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: thriller addicts
“Sometimes if you let people do things to you, you're really doing it to them.”

It's freaky and twisted. It's terrifying and compelling. You'll sit down, grab the book and read it until you've reached the last page. No kiddings here. I read this in one sitting, no pause for water, no pause whatsoever. It'll creep you out and fascinate you and you'll connect with the story on many levels. I did. I connected with the character and I'm still having nightmares about it.

By all accounts, this is a Gi
Helen Ροζουλί Εωσφόρος   Vernus Portitor Arcanus Ταμετούρο   Αμούν Arnum
Τα αιχμηρά αντικείμενα σκίζουν συναισθήματα,σχέσεις,σκεψεις,δεσμούς ιερούς και μη αφήνοντας ανεξίτηλα σημάδια και εμπειρίες ζωής!

Όσο και να εξωραΐζεται το κακό παραμένει πανταμεσα στις ψυχές και την κατάλληλη στιγμή στις κατάλληλες συνθήκες δείχνει το πραγματικό του πρόσωπο!
Το ψέμα η εικονική ανθρωπιά και αλληλεγγύη,η τοξική χαμογελαστή παράνοια προσπαθούν διακαώς να μας πείσουν για επίπλαστες ανθρώπινες σχέσεις !

Τελικά οι άνθρωποι που δεν αγαπήθηκαν και διαταράχθηκαν ψυχικά απο αυτη την έλλε
*TANYA*
Apr 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-of-2017
Eek. This book was twisted and eerie, it was very good. A true page turner.
Alejandro
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novel, horror, detective
Grippin’ book!

WHERE EVERYTHING STARTED

Gillian Flynn is one of the most worldwide famous and popular authors nowadays with best-selling novels like Gone Girl and Dark Places, along with the short story The Grownup, but her debut novel was this one, Sharp Objects.

Flynn’s style features broken characters, nasty acts, gruesome crimes and plot twists, showing a face of American contemporary towns (not matter if they’re ficticious) that it’s not so common portraited…

…and a truly grippin’ narrative
Maureen
Sep 21, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
i'm not sure what to say about this book because while i think it reads like a bestseller should, i didn't enjoy it. the prose is compelling in that i felt compelled to finish it, and i did. i couldn't put it down but i wanted to get it over with. i think the writing is engaging but i will remember no turns of phrase, or kernels of wisdom.

i can say it seemed pretty obvious to me who would turn out to be guilty of the crimes in the end, and i was right. all of the characters in this book except
Madeline
Aug 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was so stupid and hysterical and I loved every second of it.
Natalie Monroe

I see what you did there, Gillian Flynn. Very clever. You say women are meant for motherhood? Well, let's play with that shit. Let's play with it good.

My mother finally was handed the baby, and she cuddled it ferociously.

[...]

She pressed her lips hard against the baby's apple slice of a cheek. Then she opened her mouth just slightly, took a tiny bit of flesh between her teeth, and gave it a littl
Tracy
Jul 01, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like reading about cruel girls
Recommended to Tracy by: a co-worker
Kaya
Jul 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-stars

This book was so good. Fast-paced, with a lot of interesting female characters, which is a rarity in modern literature, and a lot dark questions asked. While playing with morbidity and clichés, it never fails to surprise you. With a plain and direct writing style, Flynn shines brightly. A year and half after reading this, I changed my rating to 5 stars, because this book is a true masterpiece.

Cam
TV Series by HBO 17 251 21 hours, 18 min ago
NASTY GALS ASSEMBLE: Sharp Objects - Gillian Flynn 1 5 May 27, 2018 02:44PM
All the Books!: Sharp Objects 11 24 Apr 25, 2018 10:35AM
All the Books!: Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn 20 30 Feb 26, 2018 10:47AM
  • Boom!
  • Bury Me Deep
  • Faithful Place (Dublin Murder Squad, #3)
  • A Place of Greater Safety
  • Sweetheart (Archie Sheridan & Gretchen Lowell, #2)
  • Blackout (Newsflesh Trilogy, #3)
  • Dead Scared (Lacey Flint, #2)
  • These Things Hidden
  • Unspeakable
  • The Last Kind Words (Terrier Rand, #1)
  • Dismantled
  • Exile (Garnethill, #2)
  • Into the Darkest Corner
  • Tethered
  • Money Shot (Angel Dare #1)
  • Sacred (Kenzie & Gennaro, #3)
Gillian Flynn is an American author and television critic for Entertainment Weekly. She has so far written three novels, Sharp Objects, for which she won the 2007 Ian Fleming Steel Dagger for the best thriller; Dark Places; and her best-selling third novel Gone Girl.

Her book has received wide praise, including from authors such as Stephen King. The dark plot revolves around a serial killer in a Mi
More about Gillian Flynn

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Bricklayer (Steve Vail, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Among the Wicked (Kate Burkholder #8)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Snow Garden
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Almost Dead (Lizzy Gardner #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fatal Frost (Dewberry Farm Mysteries, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Remains of Innocence (Joanna Brady, #16)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Finding Claire Fletcher (Claire Fletcher, #1)
  • Outfoxed
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Huntress Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Last Witness (C.J. Townsend Thriller)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead Weight (Lizzy Gardner #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Weekend Warriors (Sisterhood)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Eye for an Eye (Dewey Andreas, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Short Drop (Gibson Vaughn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • You Only Live Twice (James Bond, #12)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Thunderball (James Bond, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Casino Royale (James Bond, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • For Your Eyes Only (James Bond, #8)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Live and Let Die (James Bond, #2)
  • Dr. No
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Moonraker (James Bond, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Diamonds are Forever (James Bond)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Spy Who Loved Me (James Bond, #10)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • From Russia With Love (James Bond, #5)
  • The Blinds
  • Little Boy Lost
  • Blonde Faith
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Deadly Business
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Private Justice (Newpointe 911, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Cutting Room (C.J. Townsend Thriller Book 3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • First to Kill (Nathan McBride, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • In the Barren Ground
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blood Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Lie In Wait (Canaan Crime #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Legacy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Fierce Radiance
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Her Final Breath (Tracy Crosswhite, #2)
  • The Taxidermist's Daughter
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Depraved Heart (Kay Scarpetta, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Standing in Another Man's Grave (Inspector Rebus, #18)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • In the Clearing (Tracy Crosswhite, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cop Hater (87th Precinct, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Jekyll Revelation
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Book of Beloved
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
  • Afterlife
  • The Vines
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsessed (Lizzy Gardner #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • River's Edge (Cape Refuge Series, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Pedigree To Die For (A Melanie Travis Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
  • Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kane and Abel (Kane and Abel, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bone Music (Burning Girl, #1)
  • In the Blue Hour
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cold Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #3)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Stirred (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels #8)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Raven Black (Shetland Island, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Trapped Girl (Tracy Crosswhite, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Neon Lawyer (Brigham Theodore, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Coyote Waits (Navajo Mysteries, #10)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Sinister Pig (Navajo Mysteries, #16)
    $9.74 $1.99
  • The Kept Woman (Will Trent #8)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Snowblind (Dark Iceland #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Medicine (V.I. Warshawski, #4)
    $8.49 $1.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
  • Playing Dead
  • Look Behind You
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Where the Memories Lie
    $4.99 $1.99
  • White Nights (Shetland Island, #2)
  • Nineteen Seventy Four
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Close to Home (Tracy Crosswhite, #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fields of Wrath (Luis Chavez, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Three (Codename: Chandler, #3)
  • The Hollow Men: A Novel
    $15.95 $1.99
  • Tyrannosaur Canyon
    $8.99 $2.99
  • What She Doesn't Know
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Pope of Palm Beach: A Novel (Serge Storms)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Night Bird (Frost Easton, #1)
  • Flood (Burke, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Pretty Little Killers (The Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The House of Memory (Pluto's Snitch #2)
“The face you give the world tells the world how to treat you.” 905 likes
“Sometimes I think illness sits inside every woman, waiting for the right moment to bloom. I have known so many sick women all my life. Women with chronic pain, with ever-gestating diseases. Women with conditions. Men, sure, they have bone snaps, they have backaches, they have a surgery or two, yank out a tonsil, insert a shiny plastic hip. Women get consumed.” 303 likes