Start by marking “Sharp Objects” as Want to Read:
Sharp Objects

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Sharp Objects

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  867,956 ratings  ·  54,270 reviews
Fresh from a brief stay at a psych hospital, reporter Camille Preaker faces a troubling assignment: she must return to her tiny hometown to cover the unsolved murder of a preteen girl and the disappearance of another. For years, Camille has hardly spoken to her neurotic, hypochondriac mother or to the half-sister she barely knows: a beautiful thirteen-year-old with an eeri ...more
Published 2006 by Broadway Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Sharp Objects, please sign up.
Brann Dies Lol just read the book dude. I really enjoyed it, and it felt fresh for me to read a book where the main characters are all (fucked up) women from a f…moreLol just read the book dude. I really enjoyed it, and it felt fresh for me to read a book where the main characters are all (fucked up) women from a female POV(less)
Ashley Fox If you are very disturbed by images and thoughts of razor blades, I would stay away from this book. The protagonist thinks a lot about cutting and spe…moreIf you are very disturbed by images and thoughts of razor blades, I would stay away from this book. The protagonist thinks a lot about cutting and specific instances of her cutting her own skin are described in detail. I wouldn't say that it was written in a gory way, but it is graphic.(less)

·  867,956 ratings  ·  54,270 reviews

Start your review of Sharp Objects
Emily May
Jun 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“The face you give the world tells the world how to treat you.”

There is something deeply unhealthy about this book. It's in the characters, in the story, in the relationships, in the sex, and just in the general mood of the novel. Reading this made me feel a little unwell, both physically and mentally, but I am glad I did. If you know me, you'll know I love complex characters with issues that feel raw and real, rather than melodramatic. The people in this novel are majorly fucked up, no one
RandomAnthony
Aug 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Last week I read the fuck out of Gillian Flynn's catalog. Three novels in eight days while my wife and kids were out of town and a sweltering late July marooned me in one of the house's two air conditioned rooms. So although this review is primarily for Sharp Objects, my favorite of Flynn's trio, let me go on record with Gone Girl (four stars, go read another of the zillion of reviews) and Dark Places (three stars, maybe too many narratives perspectives and too willing to wallow in the muck) as ...more
Kat
Mar 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
sweet jesus.
Simon Cleveland, PhD, EdD
The razor blade on the front cover of the book is what one yearns for right after embarking on this read, sharp blade with which to cut every single page, one by one, until they are so neatly shredded that even the memory of what was written on them becomes non existent. And then, one can use the same razor to end one's own life.

I'm still unsure what the author was thinking when she began this book, unless she had some very deep and very disturbing mental issues to work through.

This book is da
Alex
Little buddy read with Her Majesty La Lionne and Jerry on January 31st!! :D

This is my third Gillian Flynn book, after Gone Girl and Dark Places. The first one blew my mind, the second one freaked me out a little and this one really scared me.

Sure, after reading 5% of it I was like
Hosted by imgur.com
--a creepy story with the potential of giving me special nightmares,

but by 90% I was like
Hosted by imgur.com
WTF did I just read??

All the characters were disturbing, especially even the children.

Allow me to start with Camille. She's a
Emma Giordano
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobooks
2.5 Stars. Unfortunately, I did not love this book and it is probably my least favorite of Gillian Flynn's work. As this was her debut, I'm happy to say I feel her later works show great improvement and a lot of strength.

CW: self-harm, sexualization of children, murder, child abuse (I don't normally put content warnings under spoilers but this warning is so integral to the ending AND it's so specific that I don't want people attacking me for spoiling the book) (view spoiler)
chan ☆
Jul 05, 2021 rated it really liked it
holy shit
Will Byrnes
Camille Preaker is a young Chicago reporter with a troubled past. When a second young girl goes missing in her home town, Wind Gap, MO, Camille’s fatherly boss sends her down to get the inside scoop. Who says you can’t go home again? Well, maybe you can, but would you really want to? There is a reason she is in Chicago, instead of Podunk, MO, and the danger for Camille lies as much with her delicate psychological state, a product of her childhood, as it might with a psycho-killer on the loose. " ...more
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
1 Star

Overview:

I should have known better. I don’t have an excuse.

I read Gillian Flynn's other book, Gone Girl, last year—and wasn’t a fan. Everyone raved about it, but I found the characters shallow, the plot twists weak, and the narrative so busy being cynical it didn’t seem to know what it was trying to say.

Nevertheless, I’d heard great things about Gillian Flynn’s writing. So I went into this with an open mind--- maybe I had just started with the wrong book!

But I really should have known
Maria
Feb 22, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.4/5 Stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️

“The face you give the world tells the world how to treat you.”

Wow well this was... disturbing. And sick and twisted and depraved and degenerate. Possibly incest. I liked it! But didn't love it. Prior to reading this book, I had watched the mini series from HBO. And then naturally, I bought the book and didn't read it until now. Yes, the series came out 2 years ago and I'm reading the book in 2020, shut up. But let's talk about it.

Camille was a very interesting protagonist to
Miranda Reads
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook
description
Shout out to this absolutely fabulous book in my latest booktube video is up - all about the best books I read each month and 2019's bookish stats (and yes, I really did read 365 books in 365 days!).

Now that you know this one made the cut - check out the video to see what other ones made my top 12 list!

The written review:
description

Camille Preaker is back in her hometown but for all the wrong re
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
Disturbing story. Disturbing characters. This book will make you feel uncomfortable, that's what Gillian Flynn does best!

I'm not sure I loved it but it's definitely the best written thriller I've read so far this year... still only getting 3.5 stars though!

I did suspect the right people but the twists were still... well disturbing!
j e w e l s
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
“I just think some women aren't made to be mothers. And some women aren't made to be daughters.”
― Gillian Flynn, Sharp Objects

This is one of the darkest, most disturbing books I've ever read. And I love it. Well, today I love it. I picked it up years ago, started reading and was like "no way Jose". I had read Dark Places and Gone Girl and, of course, thought I could handle Sharp Objects, the Gillian Flynn debut. I wasn't ready at the time for this little monster of a book.

The extremely creepy p
Tatiana
Update 10/2018
Doesn't seem that edgy 8 years later. We are not lacking in female anti-heroes now. The novel and the show complement each other rather well. Liked the neater ending of the book more though, but the show is a visual feast. Interesting how the show creators chickened out and made Amma older, to not offend our sensibilities? Amy Adams is fantastic as Camille.

Original review
If you ask me which words come into my mind first whenever I think of this book, my answer will be: nasty, dark,
emma
BEST GILLIAN FLYNN BOOK. By a mile. Sorry, Gone Girl, you are no longer welcome here. (Just kidding I'm going to reread it in one absolute second but will it be as good as this book? No, it will not. Probably. We'll see.)

This is so CREEPY and the writing is so visceral and it's so unique. There have probably been thrillers like this one since this one, but definitely not many before.

There are so many characters that are just hopelessly fascinating. Like, all of them, basically. Any time the pro
The Burning Rose (Jess)
3/5 stars.
The book tells of a young reporter named Camille. She escaped from the town where she grew up years ago to break away from the cruel life she lived, and to start a new life.
Years later, Camille had to return to the town for the article she needed to publish. Camille, who did everything to disavow this town, found herself returning there unwillingly.

I know that in the description of the book, it says it's a murder story. But I wouldn't describe this book that way.
True, there were brutal
karen
Apr 30, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
okay so i,of course, was initially drawn to this book because it has shiny cover. i am like a magpie or a raccoon or something... and then it just sat on the shelf for ages and one day i read the description of it somewhere. and it's all "whore" on her ankle and "pain" on her heart or whatever.(which is not on the back cover copy, but is right up there in the goodreads.com description) and i thought - "oooh you are so edgy and shocking!!" and i rolled my eyes and figured i would just never read ...more
Elyse  Walters
Update - NEWS ABOUT the HBO mini-series of "Sharp Objects". Who else has seen it?
What are your thoughts? Which did you enjoy more? The book or the series?
Amy Adams was outstanding!!! One of the best acting roles I've seen her play.
VERY creepy show -- 'excellent' -- All the actors were great. In many ways --I liked the HBO show more than the book. I know --weird --right? --Or??? maybe I was more prepared for just how disturbing this story is! The ending in the HBO series -- was ................
NickReads
Apr 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
yo everyone's crazy as hell wtf, Richard the only sane person, we stan a unproblematic king ...more
Samadrita
When I had first come across rave reviews of Gone Girl, I was bowled over by the fact that there's after all a woman who is brave enough to try her hand at a genre rarely ventured into by women writers. And apparently, she excels at it too. Surely, she couldn't have hoodwinked hordes of unsuspecting readers into giving her books such high ratings.
So I had decided I'd devour Gillian Flynn's entire oeuvre starting with her first published work.

Needless to say, that it is with obvious disappointme
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
Squee! This is coming out on TV on Sky Atlantic. I cannot wait! (2018). I don't know about you, but in my opinion this is WAY better than Gone Girl, I think this one is a hidden gem.

It's a lot more subtle but that's why it works more. This is one spine-chilling disturbing and dark book and I absolutely loved it. Some of the scenes in this book literally just stunned me. Very clever writing from Gillian Flynn.

When two girls are abducted and killed in Missouri, journalist Camille Preaker is sent
jessica
Mar 31, 2019 rated it liked it
well, this thriller was less than thrilling. so theres that. :/

i guess in all fairness, i should mention that i wasnt really in the best mental state to read this, which is probably why im rating it so low. the story is very disturbing, very dark, and wayyyy outside any realm of normality. its definitely one of those stories where you have to really commit and see it through, uncomfortable topics and all, and i just wasnt feeling it.

it also doesnt help that this felt rather slow to me. a lot of
Ahmad Sharabiani
Sharp Objects, Gillian Flynn

Sharp Objects is the 2006 debut novel by American author Gillian Flynn. The novel follows Camille Preaker, a small newspaper journalist, who must return to her hometown to report on a series of brutal murders. She is not particularly satisfied with the job, which includes writing stories about human neglect and crimes such as murder. Camille gets along somewhat well with her boss Curry, who supported her during a recent hospitalization due to self-harm. Camille has ca
Roxane
Nov 25, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved Sharp Objects as much as I loved Gone Girl. Camille is an amazing protagonist, utterly believable, well drawn, and I related to her far more than makes me feel comfortable admitting. This is a book about darkness and women and Flynn is one of those writers who stares darkness down and goes even darker.

Just like Gone Girl, though, the ending is ludicrous. I laughed out loud, because it was just too much. Completely bananas. I figured it out early on and don't mind that it ended where I e
Dr. Appu Sasidharan
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: medicine

This book is dark, really dark. The characters in it are all filled with hatred, violence, and pessimism. The content warnings in it are literally almost all the warnings in the current literary world. You will become incredibly sad while reading this book.

Despite all the above negatives, you are going to love this book. The narration is done at a perfect pace. The main characters' character arcs are done brilliantly. The author also discusses some rare medical conditions with meticulous pr
Suz
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-donated
Finally I climbed out under my rock to read my first GF novel. I was happy I did. Camille got under my skin, zero pun intended, and I enjoyed the whole ride. Whilst graphic, I wasn’t bothered, and whilst dark this was fine too. I was impressed with the writing of this book and understand why this author has hit it off worldwide.

Camille is a very troubled young woman, a mediocre journalist and a recovering cutter. Self harming herself in the most dreadful way, by inscribing words into her skin. A
Johann (jobis89)
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"I just think some women aren't made to be mothers. And some women aren't made to be daughters."

Journalist Camille Preaker is sent back to her hometown, where one girl has been brutally murdered and another one is missing.

Dark and twisty and fucked up characters are my FAVE, and Gillian Flynn seems to be the absolute queen of creating them. Although one of the issues with having such car crashes for human beings in your stories is that you often don't have a character who you really root for or
From the first page, I felt the author had just finished a Chuck Palahniuk novel and decided she wanted to be like him when she grew up. Sentence fragments can be fun if you're in the mood for things like "A belly. A smell. He was suddenly standing next to me." (Not exact quotes, but pretty close.) I wasn't in the mood, and it was irritating. Also, I couldn't enjoy the main character. I found the scene where she was 12 years old and in someone's hunting shed, full of dead, bloody animals and por ...more
Madeline
Aug 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was so stupid and hysterical and I loved every second of it.
Troy
Jun 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Terrific book, truly creepy. A page turner about a journalist going back to her tiny Missouri home town to cover the recent murders of two little girls. Gillian Flynn's writing in Entertainment Weekly has always been a notch above, and her first novel is no disappointment.

What's remarkable about this book is that it focuses on some of the most damaged and interesting women I've ever seen in fiction. Strong women in fiction usually means one of three things:

1) Ass-kickers in fantastic outfits tha

• The Girl on the Train
  • The Woman in the Window
  • Big Little Lies
  • The Woman in Cabin 10
  • The Silent Patient
  • The Couple Next Door
  • The Lovely Bones
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1)
  • Behind Closed Doors
  • The Guest List
  • The Wife Between Us
  • Glamorama
See top shelves…
Gillian Flynn is an American author and television critic for Entertainment Weekly. She has so far written three novels, Sharp Objects, for which she won the 2007 Ian Fleming Steel Dagger for the best thriller; Dark Places; and her best-selling third novel Gone Girl.

Her book has received wide praise, including from authors such as Stephen King. The dark plot revolves around a serial killer in a Mi

Articles featuring this book

“The face you give the world tells the world how to treat you.” 1102 likes
“Sometimes I think illness sits inside every woman, waiting for the right moment to bloom. I have known so many sick women all my life. Women with chronic pain, with ever-gestating diseases. Women with conditions. Men, sure, they have bone snaps, they have backaches, they have a surgery or two, yank out a tonsil, insert a shiny plastic hip. Women get consumed.” 542 likes