Start by marking “Scaling Up Excellence: Getting to More Without Settling for Less” as Want to Read:
Scaling Up Excellence: Getting to More Without Settling for Less

Scaling Up Excellence: Getting to More Without Settling for Less

In Scaling Up Excellence, bestselling author Robert Sutton and Stanford colleague Huggy Rao tackle a challenge that determines every organizations success: scaling up farther, faster, and more effectively as a program or an organization creates a larger footprint. Sutton and Rao have devoted much of the last decade to uncovering what it takes to build and uncover pockets ...more
Published February 4th 2014 by Crown Business (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Scaling Up Excellence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scaling Up Excellence

Start your review of Scaling Up Excellence: Getting to More Without Settling for Less
John Doyle
Feb 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
Not much new here. Executives need to walk the talk. Bad attitudes are toxic and should be exorcised quickly. Scaling well requires deliberate management of increased specialization, core values, and the flow of information. Can't recommend this one.
Wil Reynolds
Jan 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
The book was a bit long, but I really liked certain examples. In spite of it being long, it read pretty quickly.

Scaling is something I have never gotten right, I think if you are like me, with a "I'll fix it" personality, reading this book really helps me to step back and say...what if I couldn't just fix it, and I had to build a long term sustainable way to "fix it" how would I tackle it then?

Examples of systems that wear down managers and organizations I found very helpful, as the "people
Tõnu Vahtra
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Clusterfug, it's a real thing (wait, what?). Did not understand why there is so much hype about this book as it does not really stand out by itself (references from many other books which I have already completed). 4 points because of a few interesting examples, it doesn't seem that helpful as a applicable guide in tackling those challenges (the author actually did state that it's not easy but he kind of claimed that the book will make it easier).

When big organizations scale well, they focus on
Andrew
Nov 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Another fine offering from Bob Sutton ("The No A**hole Rule," "Good Boss, Bad Boss") and his co-author Huggy Rao, two Stanford profs and business-book writers. I received a review copy thanks to Goodreads and recently posted my review on my blog. Here's the link:

Matt McAlear
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
Really great material for looking at ways to scale up organizational excellence! Good read for anyone in a leadership position especially a high leadership role in which they set the tone. He gives lots of data and thoughts about organizational structures, management techniques, and solid psychological practices.
Elisabeth
Jan 05, 2014 marked it as to-read
Shelves: rad_man, newjobbooks
for more about the genesis of the book - see also Bob Sutton's blog: http://bobsutton.typepad.com/

referred in Adam Grant's list "The 12 Business Books to Read in 2014": http://www.huffingtonpost.com/adam-gr...
Erika RS
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, kindle, leadership
This book had a lot of good advice. Some of it was common sense, but a lot of it was legitimately useful and perspective changing. Why two stars then? The organization was horrible. Instead of being organized in such a way as to emphasize the key ideas, the book consisted of lists of loosely connected ideas that were too long to be remembered (and yet, at the same time, were annoyingly repetitive). A couple other factors that led to the low rating were that many of the examples felt more like ...more
KevinS
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sutton & Rao tackle the notorious challenge of companies facing the privilege of growth - scaling up the good parts - the effective parts that matter to a companys survival & flourishing - and reducing the bad parts - the needless bureaucratic parts that can drag a company under. Scaling Up Excellence at times seems more like an anthology of cases that illustrate the authors points, such as the balancing of freedom to experiment against the importance of standardization represented by ...more
Jeannie Hardeman
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Here's how useful I found this: I listened to the audio book, am re-reading an electronic copy of it, and have ordered physical copies for me and others.

The book is a practical guide for taking some pocket of awesome and spreading it to a wider audience. It really is that broadly applicable. Tons of stories based on Sutton's research of companies, many of which are very practical and instructive. You will have heard some of the anecdotes, but many were new to me.

The advice comes at all levels -
Seth
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
The book got me thinking about incentive mechanisms and how to communicate values across the organization.

One idea I liked was about processes being spread like Catholicism or Buddhism. Catholicism is rigid and cloned everywhere while Buddhism is fluid with a set of principles that can be implemented various ways. Some organizations will benefit from enforcing sameness everywhere. Within my current software management role I think a company should enforce overall best practices in a
Deidre
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
This book is one of the most honest looks at what makes a company great and shows that there is more than one way to build scale. What was most interesting to me wasn't just examples of major brands like Netflix but stories of how scale works in places like healthcare or transportation logistics. So much of scaling up success requires a certain amount of ruthlessness in eliminating what doesn't work and figuring out whether to amplify the good through direct replication or through taking the ...more
Wally Bock
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the five best books I read in 2014

I think Scaling Up Excellence: Getting to More Without Settling for Less is one of the best business books Ive ever read. Period. I read it originally a couple of years ago, but I keep going back to it to dip into the research and the insights and mine the stories for more knowledge. My bottom line is simple: if you read business books, read this one.

Read my complete review at http://www.threestarleadership.com/ev...
Abhishek Sengupta
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-list
It is worth a read. The case studies or examples from real industry are worth reading. Ideo, Intuit, GE And Kaiser Permanante, to name some, are well illustrated and bring the message home. I have attended a few classes by the 2 professors and they always gave case studies to illustrate their teaching. Helps to ingrain principles like Buddhism vs Catholicism, Pre-mortem, Subtraction for growth. Overall a good read for people who work on scaling businesses, designing new products, innovations ...more
Steve Granger
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
This review comes in contrast to a number of self-help management books that audaciously oversell ideas from the academic literature or personal experience to the nth degree. As such, Sutton and Rao read as balanced and careful purveyors of their deep knowledge of the academic literature on how to scale up one's organization. For a popular press book, I'd highly suggest this to any business owner/entrepreneur moving towards taking their business to the next level to gain insight into problems ...more
Li Li
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
I tried multiple times reading Sutton's books - good boss, bad boss and including this one. But I haven't been able to learn much from it. His books are full of t-shirt slogans: "the problem of more" - "spread a mindset, not just a footprint" - "name the problem." Such slogans can be inspirational with little practical usage. The ample examples in the books are more of anecdotes to me, with no data or scientific proof/backup.

I wouldn't recommend his books for now.
Kristin
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For anyone looking to expand their business or looking to increase productivity and civility among employees, this book is for you. It has a lot of insightful yet practical advice on how best to grow or improve a business without firing everyone but by taking practical steps of holding employees at all levels acceptable. I highly recommend this book and am looking forward to reading more from Robert Sutton.
Lars Corneliussen
Dec 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Interesting insight on trade-offs one has to make when scaling out an organisation.

What I remember the most is the catholic vs. the buddhist way of scaling, where catholic takes a predefined process and product and just tries to scale it as is, while buddhist allows for more adjustments to the target market or segment. It's not one or the other, but allways a mix with a lot of trade-offs in either one direction.
Brett Ulrich
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book and the seven mantras inside are an invaluable tool for operational managers. I have found years after reading the framework provided here works to solve problems and communicate tactics which help projects succeed in the workplace. The book tends to ramble in later chapters and some of the examples (Yahoo) are no longer case studies for success.
Carl Josefsson
Falls in the same category as good to great, inspiring but sometimes a little to much text and rambling about and more importantly the framework is based on people and organizations that succeded successfully and then you look at what they did and say that this is the way forward to success...... But what about those who had tried similar approaches and didn't succeed?
Kathleen
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nina Simon
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
good examples, solid precepts, runs out of steam a bit in the final 1/4 but there's lots of good stuff before then. A small note: I especially appreciated the inclusion of many real-world examples in which women were the scale leaders. Not common in business books of this type.
Glen Leavens
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was ok
An interesting premise. I did not see too much application and stopped before getting too far into the book. I did go back and finish the book. The book did have more merit than I originally thought.
Claire
Sep 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Well-done, but slightly repetitive. I think the book could have been half as long, and likely twice as meaningful. I still would recommend reading it; it's just not the be-all/end-all read that I believe many think it is.
Todd Benschneider
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Must read for everyone involved in startups. Explains the complex dynamics of team behavior as a company grows and adds new employees. Scholarly quality read written with easy to read vocabulary and an easy to understand case study examples.
Auni
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was ok
Difficult to read, too academic. I did not manage to complete more than 1/3 of it.
Prasad GR
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Extremely insightful and a must-read for anyone working towards scaling up. The ample examples are eye opening with helpful strategies to guide in implementing the ideas discussed.
Mariel
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I didn't expect this to be as interesting as it is. An easy and engaging read with ideas you can actually apply.
Zac Herness
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A colleague recommended this book, and I hadn't even heard of it previously. Some excellent concepts, ideas, and examples in here with a nice blend of each. Well worth the read.
Jonathon
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of interesting anecdotes and concepts, but the reader is given very little guidance.
Ana

• Payoff: The Hidden Logic That Shapes Our Motivations
  • Decisive: How to Make Better Choices in Life and Work
  • How Stella Saved the Farm: A Tale about Making Innovation Happen
  • Competing Against Luck
  • The Three Signs of a Miserable Job: A Management Fable About Helping Employees Find Fulfillment in Their Work
  • Smartcuts: How Hackers, Innovators, and Icons Accelerate Success
  • The Launch Pad: Inside Y Combinator, Silicon Valley's Most Exclusive School for Startups
  • Reboot: Leadership and the Art of Growing Up
  • Silos, Politics and Turf Wars: A Leadership Fable about Destroying the Barriers That Turn Colleagues Into Competitors
  • Ultimate Sales Machine
  • The Culture Code: The Secrets of Highly Successful Groups

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Robert Sutton is Professor of Management Science and Engineering at Stanford and a Professor of Organizational Behavior, by courtesy, at the Stanford Graduate School of Business. Sutton studies innovation, leaders and bosses, evidence-based management, the links between knowledge and organizational action, and workplace civility. Suttons books include Weird Ideas That Work: 11 ½ Practices for ...more

News & Interviews

“People also have a greater capacity when they aren’t worn down by work and worry. When people get enough sleep, they are more adept at difficult tasks, are more interpersonally sensitive, make better decisions, and are less likely to turn nasty.” 3 likes
“It means constantly seeking and implementing better ways of thinking and acting across old and new corners of the system.” 2 likes