Start by marking “Algorithms Unlocked” as Want to Read:
Algorithms Unlocked

Algorithms Unlocked

For anyone who has ever wondered how computers solve problems, an engagingly written guide for nonexperts to the basics of computer algorithms.
Published May 15th 2013 by MIT Press (MA) (first published 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Algorithms Unlocked, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Algorithms Unlocked

Start your review of Algorithms Unlocked
Jacek Ambroziak
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is a gem. Extremely well written, not dry, yet precise. It covers many important algorithms and intuitions behind their design and timings. At a little over 200 pages, 10 chapters, the book can realistically be read in about 10 days in its entirety.
I am reading the book as part of preparation for a technical interview. It is wonderful in this context. I've been familiar with 99% of the algorithmic concepts this book discusses for years, and yet details not used daily are eventually
Neeraj Adhikari
This book is great as a first introduction to the formal study of algorithms. It assumes no prior knowledge of algorithms analysis and a pretty basic knowledge of mathematics. The author succeeds in explaining some complicated concepts simply for the (more or less) lay reader. As for me, I studied this to whet my appetite before plunging headfirst into the massive tome that is CLRS.
Mkfs
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I had been asked, at one point, to recommend an algorithm book to a layman.

While I was wavering between O'Reilly's odd "Algorithms in a Nutshell" and the quite good (but more technical) "Algorithms" by Dasgupta/Papadimitriou/Vazirani, this book by Cormen came out. I blasted through it on the beach during vacation and found it perfect.

This is a book for people interested in how computers (or computer programmers) solve problems. It quite naturally requires a mathematical inclination, but unlike
Siddhant Shrivastava
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cs
This is the kind of book one wants to keep coming back to. It is a crisp account of the different algorithms that run the world. A very easy read. The visceral treatment makes this book an introductory text. I highly recommend this to anyone interested in knowing about algorithms.
Sudha Hariharan
Jul 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Definitely not as good and thorough as "Introduction to Algorithms", but good enough for anyone looking a simpler introduction.
Stefan Kanev
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I just love reading Thomas Cormen.

If you've never read a book on algorithms and don't have enough time to go into 1000+ pages of CLRS ("Introduction to Algorithms"), this book is for you. In 10 short chapters (total of 240 pages), it goes through no more than 20 algorithms in just enough detail so you get the gist. It's not just merge-sort and bubble-sort either – it goes into string matching, compression, paths in graphs and even NP-completeness.

It will give you a taste of a beautiful subject
Manju
May 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book serves as a soft introduction to algorithms and how they work to solve real world problems,without any of the mathematical rigor. In that sense this book is quite useful to someone who is new to programming or simply wants to understand how computer programs or algorithms work. This is not a textbook (the other book ie. introduction to algorithms, coauthored by Cormen is more appropriate) that describes algorithm design techniques and certainly does not contain practice exercises at ...more
Ayush Bhat
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Its like mini version of CLRS.
Good to have after you have studied something more thorough.
Ranranzi
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I like chapter 8 most. Then 3 and 4.

Probably because I was exposed to these areas more often than the other.

Comparing this book with the Introduction to Emacs lisp programming, I spent less time trying to figure out the problem by myself.
Xiaoyan
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A good introductory book, especially for those who are new to programming. However, those who already had some previous exposures to algorithms might prefer the more precise and concise pseudocodes than the "wetwares" used by the author.
Arwin
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
More of a 3.75. Some parts were incredibly tough to read for someone from a non computer science background. Took two attempts to finish reading. However, it definitely whet the appetite for a deeper dive on algorithms.
David Guan
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A nice organized book and friendly to people who have little computer science background.
Darrell Ulm
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good algorithms book.
Tiago Massoni
Not for the newbies.
Jean Bezerra
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
O pouco que li já nas primeiras páginas me ajudou muito com as matérias que estou estudando na faculdade. É um excelente livro!
Arquero
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
A whole lotta good stuff.
The second half was particularly useful for me.
- dags
- shortest paths
- cryptography
- data compression
- NP-completeness (mother problem, reduction between problems)
Frank Palardy
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
His other book has so much math you forget the algorithms. His one tries to avoid that but its still very detailed. More math than coding.
Mohannad Hassan
Written by Thomas Cormen because the Introduction to Algorithms has been deemed too technical by the MIT Press!

Professor Cormen intended to make this book an in-between book between the very theoretical books and the very techincal books. He didn't assume much scientific or mathematical background knowledge for the readers. In other words it's not actually intended for people on the field.

How easy is it for people from outside the field? I can't say! It wouldn't be impossible to understand. I'd
Wanda
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book gives a great overview of a broad variety of topics in algorithms, and supplies a decent amount of technical detail in the form of pseudocode and some fairly meaty proof outlines (enough to prepare for a more comprehensive text, such as CLRS). Somehow, I found the section on PERT charts almost as difficult as puzzling through the reduction of 3-CNF to the subset sum problem... I think the examples presented in those sections served to muddy the technique required, unlike the clarity ...more
Paweł Sobiegraj
Wreszcie znalazłem czas żeby skończyć. Lekko napisana książeczka o algorytmach. Dywagacje ZPL o tłumaczeniu różnych pojęć do zaakceptowania i nie doskwierają mocno.

Niestety jakość edytorska Helionu nadal pozostaje na niskim poziomie. Ginące wypunktowania, opisy rysunków czy tabel z tej samej strony, jakby były na stronie następnej zdarzają się często. Obyło się bez błędów w pseudokodzie, ale literówki w oznaczeniach zbiorów(lub grafów), albo błędne słowa(krawędź zamiast wierzchołka) też się
Jesús Navarrete
Jan 12, 2014 rated it liked it
The book is good to see some algorithms without mathematical demonstration. If you want to remember how they works or if you never see algorithms before. For me was nice to read in a few pages to remember things. Although I was thinking that the book was to see problems or algorithms applied without to much maths.

There is a part at the end speaking about the what are the problems open. In general it is interesting to read but not what I was looking for.
Vladimir Ryashentsev
Книга требует привычки к сухому математическому языку.
Она с одной стороны не подойдет человеку изучавшему математику на уровне школьной программы, но человеку сильному в математике эта книжка может показаться поверхностной, обрывочной, скачащей с темы на тему.
Adel
Feb 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A very good book for beginners, anyone who wants to know the basics should start with this book.
Aura Mora
Jun 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
It's a great step-by-step explanation of the basic algorithms. Non-technical, perfect for programmers and non-programmers.
Steve Gross
Dec 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Serious, but humorous introduction to computer algorithms. Not for first timers.
Enoch Adablah
what are the different characteristics of algorithm
Alexander Morozov
Жаль что не попалась раньше, самое то для тех кому это нужно для работы без фанатизма.
Теперь понятнее стали критерии оценки эффективности работы алгоритмов.
Sefa
Oct 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: computer-science
Nice introduction to algorithms for layperson.
Mike
Feb 18, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Data Structures and Algorithms Made Easy
  • Discrete Mathematics and Its Applications
  • Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs (MIT Electrical Engineering and Computer Science)
  • Learning Python
  • Skin in the Game: The Hidden Asymmetries in Daily Life
  • Code
  • Crashed: How a Decade of Financial Crises Changed the World
  • Doing Math with Python
  • How to Be a Capitalist Without Any Capital: The Four Rules You Must Break to Get Rich

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Thomas H. Cormen is the co-author of Introduction to Algorithms, along with Charles Leiserson, Ron Rivest, and Cliff Stein. He is a Full Professor of computer science at Dartmouth College and currently Chair of the Dartmouth College Writing Program.

“By the way, if you’re wondering where the word “algorithm” comes from, Knuth says that it derives from the name “al-Khowârizmî,” a ninth-century Persian mathematician.” 2 likes