Start by marking “The Stranger (The Syrena Legacy, #0.4)” as Want to Read:
The Stranger (The Syrena Legacy, #0.4)

The Stranger

(The Syrena Legacy #0.4)

Free online fiction. Novelette.

The Syrena don’t trust many humans. Rachel is one of them. The story of how Galen met her – and how they bonded -- is both exciting and heartbreaking.
Published June 18th 2013 by www.tor.com

To ask other readers questions about The Stranger, please sign up.
Madi ~☆TheBookNerdDiaries☆~ I feel like you should be able to. there aren't really spoilers as this is a prequel. I personally read this after book one bc of publishing order but…moreI feel like you should be able to. there aren't really spoilers as this is a prequel. I personally read this after book one bc of publishing order but it's up to you and your reading tastes!(less)

Start your review of The Stranger (The Syrena Legacy, #0.4)
Alaina
I total got The Little Mermaid vibes while reading this book.

First, Syrena's and humans don't mix.
Second, Syrena's don't save humans.
Third, Syrena's don't go up to the surface - ever.

SOUNDS A LOT LIKE THE LITTLE MERMAID GUYS!

Good thing too because I loved that god damn movie.

The Stranger is one of the two prequels to the first book, Of Poseidon, within the Syrena Legacy Series. It features Galen and Rayan, who are twin Syrenas, their best friend Tarof, and the human girl named Rachel.

Galen and
Tarsis
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
"La humana de la que se estaban deshaciendo".

Este me gustó muchísimo más, más emotivo, más lento. Muestran, como Galen simplemente eligió salvarla, porque no todos los humanos podían ser malo. Y es graciosa su interacción, porque ella era una luz entre tantas costumbres que él no conocía. HAHAHA morí con lo de ponerse las palmas para que ella no confundiera lo de hacer una fogata con que él quisiese aparearse con ella xD
Amanda
Jul 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013, fbnlt, free
The Stranger is for people who...

...have read Of Poseidon and want more
...don't mind a little third person present tense (it still sounds weird to me)
...want to see Galen, Rayna, and Toraf as kids
...would like to know how Galen met Rachel
...don't mind not having Emma in the story
...can't get enough of the Of Poseidon world

The Stranger was a free story I read on Tor's website on July 16, 2013 for the Why Buy the Cow? reading challenge.
Asami
Jan 07, 2017 rated it liked it

This was really cute, but I was expecting a little more of Galen and Rachel trying to get to know each other and of Rachel answering Galen's questions about the human world.
Ruthsic
Jun 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Stranger tells the story of how Galen and Rachel first met.

The story takes place when Galen is 13 year old. He saves Rachel from drowning and helps her out. His sister, Rayna and Toraf also come upon them and though they all have a distrustful start, they soon become good friends. Rachel gradually familiarizes them with human life and things.

As always, we see Galen and Rayna's hilarious bickering and Toraf's attempts to pacify them. Rachel always struck me as a great character and here we s
Cynn
Mar 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"Ella dice que los humanos tienen un dicho: "La basura de un hombre es el tesoro de otro". Cuando ella le dijo eso, se refería a algunas latas que tenía la intención de reciclar-lo que sea que signifique eso- pero Galen siempre ha aplicado ese dicho a la misma Rachel. Lo que los humanos tiraron resultó ser un tesoro invaluable para él".

Zoe Tribley
Jul 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I liked this short story a lot

as we see everyone we love as little youngsters ^^

More to who Rayna is beyond a hard-ass

And the beginning of the relationship between Rachel and Galen.

I've always liked Rachel and I think in some way her strong, independent, and witty personality has ... made my mind draw up my own image of her. And whenever she's talking or Emma/Galen are describing her in whatever scene, I always imagine this short feisty chick, with rockin red hair, red lipstick to match, and a
SoWrongItsRANDI {Bell, Book & Candle}
Bell, Book & Candle | The Stranger Review

This is a novella so don't expect a long review. Although it is a novella, I do wish it was a bit longer than the measly 30 pages it was. Why am I reviewing a super short book? Well, that is quite simple. I'm not sure if I have already said this, but I enjoy reading about each characters' past and background. How did they meet this person? Why did this happen? What were the events that led to the start of the first book? These are all questions I ask whi
Roos
Jan 05, 2017 rated it liked it
It's just a nice addition to the story but not necessary!
Franci
#16 of 2020

Cute little prequel to the series.
Jamie Coudeville
It was nice to read about how Galen met Rachel, especially considering how book 2 ended.
Kari
Jun 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novellas, favorites
**4.5 Stars**

Finally! We learn how Galen meets Rachel. It is actually pretty funny seeing Galen this young and this unaware of how the human world works. It just really goes to show how much Rachel really taught him.

Of course it is great that Rayna was in there too. And we get to see a little more of her younger personality and her meeting Rachel as well.

Fantastic read for Of Poseidon fans. Actually, it is a must read.
MJ
Dec 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is hilarious. Reading the comical banter of the syrenas, I couldn't help but wonder, I've found the perfect author (for me, anyway) . And gosh the syrenas are indeed clueless in the language and culture of humans. It was endearing to know more about the characters of the book. (view spoiler) ...more
Rachael
Aug 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Oh my gosh I loved this one!

At first I couldn't remember who Rachel was from Of Poseidon but she was totally my favorite character. This book was the story of Rachel and how she became Galen's human.

She's funny and down to earth. She's not freaked out by the crazy mermaid people and has helped them make tons of money. I'm so glad we got to see a peak into her story.
Sarah Elizabeth

This was a cute story about how Galen first met Rachel, I found it a bit difficult to trust her to start with though so I'm not surprised he had issues!
★MC's Corner★
omg omg OH MY GOD!!!
Megan Readinginthesunshine
Sep 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Rachel I LOVE YOU and you are WONDERFUL.

Thank you Anna Banks for writing such a FANTASTIC friend for Galen <3
Nay Denise
Apr 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed learning more about how Rachel became like family to Galen, Rayna and Toraf. Great novella, but why the heck did they try to kill Rachel?
Nancy The book junkie
Apr 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Rating: 3.75/5

Review coming soon!
Paige Erin
Oct 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I do not trust this Rachel lady...at all.

*3-11-15 edit: Well now I feel like a stupid jerk...
Melissa
May 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Awwwwwwwww, I will mis Rachel A LOT!! :'(
Vani
Aug 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Nada del otro mundo e.e
Viola Sung
May 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Eh...a little too forced if you ask me. After all those years of being a Mob and she just goes and trusts Galen??? Obviously the character was made first and then the background story.
Nadia
That cover is mind boggling.

The story's pretty straight forward.
Angela
Jul 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Loved finally knowing how Galen met Rachel
Jan 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novellas, 2015-reads
This was so good, I loved figuring out how Rachel and Galen met! Such a cute little novella.
Tammy
Aug 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Novella

Fantastic novella. Pulled me into the story quickly, mashing up under the sea life versus human life. Not sure this is were I'm suppose to start with the series but I'm eager to see were this goes.
Alice  Dalena
Oct 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
It was nice to read about how Galen and Rachel met, along wiht Toraf and Rayna. It was cute to read about Toraf and Rayna's interactions with each other.
Had Galen been a few years older, Rachel might not be able to manipulate him as easily haha.
katie
Aug 31, 2019 rated it liked it
it wasn't super exciting or necessary, in my opinion. but it was a nice bit of background information.
Zanna Marie
May 17, 2013
Marina
May 24, 2013

• Hello, Goodbye, and Everything in Between
  • A Book of Spirits and Thieves (Spirits and Thieves, #1)
  • Five Midnights
  • Kiss of the Night (Carnal Thirst, #2)
  • Misled (Carnal Thirst, #1)
  • Hot in Handcuffs
  • Pride and Pleasure
  • La luna è dei lupi
  • Tim Burton's the Nightmare Before Christmas (Zero's Journey #4)
  • Darth Vader and Son
  • Cone Cat
  • Black Heroes of the Wild West
  • Loud Mouth (Ice Knights, #3)
  • Lord Dashwood Missed Out (Spindle Cove, #4.5)
  • Beauty and the Blacksmith  (Spindle Cove, #3.5)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Rift, Part 1 (The Rift, #1)
  • Iliade
  • Oblivion (Lux, #1.5)
New York Times Bestselling author of The Syrena Legacy series.

Grew up in a town called Niceville. No, seriously. And yes, everyone from Niceville is generally nice.

Let's see, things about me....My writer's cat is a mini wiener dog named Puckdoo. I can't walk in high heels, but I'm amazing at standing still in them. I'm the only person in Florida without a tan. I stole a car when I was 12 years o

The Syrena Legacy (3 books)
  • Of Poseidon (The Syrena Legacy, #1)
  • Of Triton (The Syrena Legacy, #2)
  • Of Neptune (The Syrena Legacy, #3)

News & Interviews

“Toraf nods in all seriousness. “Humans eat sand. That’s why they spend so much time on land”.” 1 likes