Start by marking “Integral Life Practice: A 21st-Century Blueprint for Physical Health, Emotional Balance, Mental Clarity, and Spiritual Awakening” as Want to Read:

Over the last thirty-five years, Ken Wilber has developed an Integral "theory of everything" that makes sense of how all the world's knowledge systems—East and West; ancient, modern, and postmodern—fit together and can elevate our awareness. Drawing on science, psychology, human development, spirituality, religion, and dozens of other fields, Integral Theory is a revolutio ...more
Published September 9th 2008 by Integral Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Integral Life Practice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Integral Life Practice

Start your review of Integral Life Practice: A 21st-Century Blueprint for Physical Health, Emotional Balance, Mental Clarity, and Spiritual Awakening
Jake
Sep 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Ken Wilber is an incredible intellectual and author. He is a great source for those of us who enjoy exploring the crossroads between philosophy, science, and spirituality.

This book brings Integral Theory down to earth, with much more practical ideas about how to apply it to personal development.
Elisa Winter
Jul 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Yep. This is the one. The absolute cutting edge of human development. All quadrants all levels, that's my new mantra. Now, I gotta go read it again. ...more
Andrea
Jan 04, 2009 rated it liked it
The interesting parts of this book are very palatable cliffs notes type summaries of Ken Wilbur's Integral Spirituality. In that regard, the book makes Wilbur's philosophy more accesible to a wider audience which is good. Probably the most useful part of the book for me was the Shadow Module. Essentially, a shadow is when there is something about another person that really pisses you off. For example, if I get really irritated at the guy at work who is a major suck up, that means I have disowned ...more
Tim
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's completely practical but still only the start of it all. It's the paradox of attempting a "theory of everything" - there will be nothing new here, the value is in the organization and attempt at a framework of the best of what we know and applying it to daily life. The emphasis on the shadow, as others have mentioned, is especially valuable here and something that gets neglected in traditional more specifically "spiritual" philosophies. This very act of organization though or consolidation ...more
Amanda
Oct 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this book. The way life is organized makes so much sense and is extremely applicable in daily life. This book really helps you get a grasp on your overall goals and helps you implement them on a daily basis. I highly recommend this book to anyone, but especially those that are interested in adding more spirituality into their lives.
Nick Kroger
Mar 16, 2019 rated it liked it
I had quite a bought of existential / personal reckoning during this read. My partner can attest. Nothing captures this book like crying while making a quesadilla.

I didn’t finish the whole thing because I thought it went downhill after the first few chapters. The most successfully presented chapter is on “shadow material”. Ken Wilber’s so called “Transpersonal Psychology” is an adept model for reckoning with behaviors and thoughts from the mundane to the neurotic.

The biggest theory that this res
Thor
Mar 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Love it. Real guidance on how to incorporate the integral model into one's life. I have not used this explicitly. Rather, what I discovered is how to satisfy what I'm lacking at any moment. For example, due to this study, I can more easily determine what needs work immediately in my life. I think I lead a relatively integral life already, but this is a way to keep things in balance. There are also many really great ideas for practices, if that's what one is looking for. The book really just scra ...more
Durwin Foster
Jan 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Too encyclopedic to be of interest to some readers; however, the strength of the book is that it brings a comprehensive approach to the field of personal development which is so often fragmented. I found the part of the book that focused on how to transform difficult emotions to be the most interesting and encouraging.
Kate Davis
Certainly motivating, and they do a good job of both differentiating practices and discussing the way the practices inter-relate to integrate. At times, quite a bit more detail than necessary, though I'm a more experienced practitioner than their target demographic.

The final 2 chapters are by far the most useful and practical; I'll likely use these for framing teachings.
Scott Layden
Apr 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Became essential to my life

The greatest changes of my 60+ year life has been embracing Ken Wilber’s Integral Life insights. Integral Life Practice, especially the One Minute Modules, have become an almost daily go-to to further me along the path.
Shahnaz
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
satu dari dua buku psikologi terbaik yang pernah aku baca. satu lagi,dengan semangat yang sama acalah obrolan sufi dari Robert Frager. meski sedih tidak membaca buku ini cepqt,tapi aku akan menyatakan semua datang tepat pada waktunya.
Ietrio
Apr 10, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: junk
How can you live your life in the 21st century like an ignorant bare footed monk some centuries ago. Are you happy? Than your heart is not clean enough, as the Gospel clearly states the bare footed monk was happy.
Nathan
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great practical overview of Integral theory and ways to try parts of it in your life.
Lisa Smith
Mar 19, 2018 rated it liked it
The chapter on the shadow (and corresponding practice) is super helpful
Deep
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Application of Integral Theory to life.
Drick
Feb 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: personal-growth
I have been intrigued by Ken Wilber's integral theory - his attempt to integrate various spiritual traditions, psycho-development theories, systems theories, and scientific perspectives. In this book Wilber and associates seek to show how to put integral theory into practice. The four basic modules are to work on one's physical health, spirituality, cognitive view and psycho-emotional health. He then has extra modules of ethical practice, and daily living. While I have not fully bought into Wilb ...more
Tuukka
Dec 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book giving an overview of the various ways an integral worldview could be translated to practice.

I, being both scientifically and spiritually inclined and interested, found value in how the book fused together scientific and spiritual material to build a map for holistic personal growth and life-practice.

The strength of integral approach lies in the fact that it recognizes scientific and spiritual/religious worldviews and perspectives need not to be either-or but they can be reconcil
Suhrob
Oct 08, 2016 rated it liked it
The Integrals are far more synthesizers and systematizers than explorers, so you'd be hard pressed to find anything *new* here. Yet there is a lot of value in this endeavor, although the book does feel rushed and superficial.

What I find weird with Integral is that you'd find it in the spiritual part of the bookstore, where it is a intellectual heavyweight among cheap new age pap. And yet the "spiritual" part within the Integral framework seems the least developed and most... naive?
Catherine
Sep 03, 2009 rated it it was ok
This is a great basic book, very accessibly written about developing an Integral Life practice. But I have been studying this stuff for three years now, so I'm a bit burnt out and jaded. But for someone who isn't over-saturated I think it would be perfect. ...more
Mo75
Mar 28, 2013 rated it liked it
It wasn't the best thing I've read about the AQAL model. In fact, parts were downright irritating in a new age hippy way. I also felt the suggestions made in the book were somewhat limited in scope. So to me it was ok as a general outline of how to use the AQAL framework in life. ...more
Stan
Dec 22, 2016 rated it liked it
I am kinda disapointed with this book. The practices that are decribed are really helpful but the whole rainbow system is only confusing. I also found this book very repetitive. The last 30-40 pages were exceptionally boring.
Sergio Ledward
Mar 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
La tercera vez que lo leo. Es un librazo. Práctico, profundo, simple, paradójico.
Johan
Feb 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
What a great book. Forced me to do a lot of introspection regarding the views one has of the universe!
Mark
Nov 30, 2009 rated it liked it
This book seems life-changing, but like the Tao Te Ching, is hard to incorporate in a meaningful way in just one reading.
Kyle Thomas
Jul 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great for aspiring "coaches"... excellent framework to evolve using your own personal experience and style. ...more
Egor Azanov
Mar 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Integral Spirituality for Dummies — easier to read but more shallow.

Shadow module part is awesome, 3-2-1 body workout too.
Zoe Routh
Jul 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A very helpful practical text to guide your holistic self development and expanded consciousness.
Robyn
Apr 03, 2011 is currently reading it
brilliant.
Vaudeth
Nov 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book challenged me to commit to the practices necessary for growth.
Clivemichael
Jun 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: searchers
A challenging project to work on one's self. This provides direction, a template and encouragement. More of a manual to bolster the effort. Worth reading/examining ...more

• The Secret Power of Yoga: A Woman's Guide to the Heart and Spirit of the Yoga Sutras
  • Peaceful Death, Joyful Rebirth: A Tibetan Buddhist Guidebook with a CD of Guided Meditations
  • The Code of the Extraordinary Mind: 10 Unconventional Laws to Redefine Your Life and Succeed On Your Own Terms
  • Me
  • The Complete Stories of Theodore Sturgeon, Volume VI: Baby Is Three
  • Ed Emberley's Drawing Book: Make a World
  • Rumi's Little Book of Life: The Garden of the Soul, the Heart, and the Spirit
  • The Wisdom of the Enneagram: The Complete Guide to Psychological and Spiritual Growth for the Nine Personality Types
  • The Spiritual Dimension of the Enneagram: Nine Faces of the Soul
  • Waking the Tiger: Healing Trauma
  • Integral Christianity: The Spirit's Call to Evolve
  • Invitation to the Game
  • This Time of Darkness
  • The Way of the Superior Man: A Spiritual Guide to Mastering the Challenges of Women, Work, and Sexual Desire
  • A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose
  • The Art of Happiness
  • Bolsa para Dummies
  • Sálvora. Diario de un farero

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Kenneth Earl Wilber II is an American philosopher and writer on transpersonal psychology and his own integral theory, a systematic philosophy which suggests the synthesis of all human knowledge and experience.

News & Interviews

“Increasing consciousness = increasing complexity.” 18 likes
“The adventure of awakening is among the most universal of human dramas.” 12 likes