Start by marking “Head First JavaScript” as Want to Read:
Head First JavaScript

Head First JavaScript

(Head First Series)

So you're ready to make the leap from writing HTML and CSS web pages to creating dynamic web applications. You want to take your web skills to the next level. And you're finally ready to add "programmer" to the resume. It sounds like you're ready to learn the Web's hottest programming language: JavaScript. Head First JavaScript is your ticket to going beyond copying and pasting the ...more
Published December 27th 2007 by O'Reilly Media (first published January 11th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Head First JavaScript, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Head First JavaScript

Start your review of Head First JavaScript
Charles
Apr 14, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Introductory web designers
Recommended to Charles by: Amazon.com (I think this means I'm lonely)
Shelves: web-design
The Head First series has been a very interesting breakthrough in programming, because they are programming books that don't look like programming books. They are filled with pictures, funny stories, tutorials, and many other things to help you learn about different programming subjects. With this said, the books look more like a child's story book. I previously read Head First HTML with CSS XHTML which was phenomenal and the best programming book I've read to date.

When I opened up Head F
Kurt Pankau
Aug 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
I love the Head First series, although this book is not for people who already live in an OO world. If you know Java and HTML, 60% of this book will be review of basic coding principles.

So, it was the wrong book for me. But it's very readable and engaging and useful as a teaching tool. It makes a poor reference (all the Head First books do), but it's not intended to be one, so we can't fault it too much for that.

It also does a good job of addressing JS's myriad weaknesses
Arjen
Jul 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
I like the Head First formula of teaching you things. I was actually doing some javascript development before I read this book. I also develop in Python so the concepts of a 'for loop' or a 'conditional statement' or an 'array' were not new to me.

What I do like about reading a book about programming languages though is that:
1. you get a deeper knowledge of the intricacies and specific features of a language
2. you get to know the basic, complete stuff and not just the wind
Sivasailam
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Best book to learn JavaScript. Covers from basics to advanced concepts in creating and modifying interactive web pages
Rider
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
this book was really great
Hamid Tabatabaei
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is very good for starters
Robert
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
Kinda falls apart in the end and/or I didn't retain enough information.

Also the site for the examples has changed from the book. They're found at: http://examples.oreilly.com/978059652...
Ben Rand
Dec 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: programming
Couldn't quite get this finished in 2014...I really like the Head First series of books. Quirky, engaging presentation of the material, with lots of repetition to help it stick. If you know some JavaScript already (which I did), the first half of the book is kind of slow, lot of review of elementary topics. But the second half of the book gets into some advanced object stuff that I didn't realize you can do in JS. Overall, it's a very good intro to JS. If you're looking for a JS reference though ...more
Karen
Nov 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Having read/skimmed five books about JavaScript, I can say without hesitation that this one is the one to buy if you're new to programming in general and JavaScript in particular. The book is interactive and offers concrete examples to help understand abstract concepts. The images, humor, and surprises throughout the book keep it interesting and, yes, even entertaining. <-- good qualities of any instructional manual.
Srikumar Krishna Iyer
Jul 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tech
Wanted 2 read it for a long time.
Though very fundamental, but a good one to start with, after this, one is eligible to go for advanced JS references.
As usual Head First is fun to read, with lots of images, puzzles, crosswords, activities etc.
And great examples as well.

Highly recommended for JS beginners & also for others who have never read a JS book before.
Wout Mertens
Jun 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very nice intro to JavaScript. It really helped me and the way the information is presented does seem to make it easy to remember.

What I missed was any mention of jQuery and JSON. Perhaps this is due to the fact that this book is from 2008. Other than that this book provides you with a solid basis to hit the ground running.
Ted
Apr 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: technology
While this is not a good book for a beginner, having it as an available reference has been a huge help! Between Java, JSP, and Javascript, sometimes the lines blur a bit, so having a very comprehensive reference is a necessity.
John Gaffney
May 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
If you are brand new to programming(only requires HTML and CSS knowledge) this book is good for you but if you have any programming experience this book is way too basic. I would suggest JS The Good Parts.
Amanda
Jun 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
I couldn't get past chapter two. The first two chapters were excellent. Then you get to chapter three and they stop giving you walk-through examples or hands-on examples. To be honest, I was heartbroken. I was really hoping that I had finally found a book that would teach me Javascript.
B
Sep 28, 2009 marked it as go-back-to-it
Didn't finish.
Randy Lutcavich
Jul 14, 2013 rated it liked it
A great foundation. Great writing style. I love these Head First books.
Pete Aven
Nov 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
great intro to javascript. This book is effective for anyone from a jr. hight studend to a seasoned pro.
Thinkinggood
Dec 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Great book for visual learners!
Jeff
Feb 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: web-programming
A very good primer on Javascript. Not the most in depth book, even at 600 pages, but gives a solid base.
Eric Brooke
Sep 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
A good book for someone with html and css experience but has not really learnt coding at any point. It teaches some coding techniques in a simple fashion as well as teaching Javascript.
Marcotuts Morales
Jan 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book as an intro to javascript. Incredibly useful, good read, though now I need a more detailed javascript book
Jack Eisenberg
Jan 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Good intro book with pics
Prashant Singh
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
-Regular expression like /^\d\d\d\d\d$/ which matches any number with 5 digit exactly , is explained very easily !
Kevin O'shaughnessy
Jun 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
This is a fairly good book for beginners but is too basic for professional web developers.
Randy Lutcavich
Jul 14, 2013 rated it liked it
I really like the format of these Head First books. This one wasn't as good as the Java one if I remember correctly, but it was a good foundation.
Ed
Jul 04, 2016

• Head First PHP & MySQL
  • Head First HTML with CSS & XHTML
  • Head First Web Design
  • Head First Object-Oriented Analysis and Design: A Brain Friendly Guide to OOA&D
  • Head First C#
  • Head First Software Development
  • Head First jQuery
  • CSS Cookbook
  • Head First Servlets and JSP: Passing the Sun Certified Web Component Developer Exam
  • Head First EJB
  • Build Your Own Website The Right Way Using HTML & CSS
  • XML in a Nutshell
  • JavaScript Pocket Reference

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

Head First Series (1 - 10 of 45 books)
  • Head First 2D Geometry