Jump to ratings and reviews
He stole her lipstick…and her heart.

Twenty-year-old Dani Walker can’t believe her luck when she’s paired up with the gorgeous Liam Garrett as her Acting I scene partner – or when he ends up in her bed. Being a Plain Jane with a mouth on her hasn’t exactly served Dani well in the guy department. In fact, she’s had nothing but one night stands. Still, she lets go of her insecurities and falls for Liam, despite feeling like he’s holding something back.

When Dani finally discovers Liam’s secret, she must learn the true meaning of accepting the ones we love for who they are, or risk losing the best thing that’s ever happened to her.

ebook

First published May 8, 2013

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Stacey Wallace

23 books23 followers
Stacey Wallace writes Contemporary Romance ranging from Sweet to Steamy, and Literary Fiction. She specializes in engaging stories that make her readers snort-laugh, ugly-cry, and fall in love with her characters.
Stacey lives in Beaverton, OR with her husband and their five children. Obviously, she drives a minivan.

Find my Sweet Romance and Chick Lit books on my Roxie Clarke profile:

Find my Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy books on my Stacey Wallace Benefiel profile:

Facebook: http://facebook.com/AuthorStacey

Instagram: http://instagram.com/writefreepress

Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/writefreepress

Website: http://www.writefreepress.com

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
146 (15%)
1 star
51 (5%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 183 reviews
Profile Image for Dilushani Jayalath.
862 reviews160 followers
October 12, 2020
DNF'd
This is definitely why I stopped reading New Adult. Honestly it makes me think, was I this bad when I was in my late teens????
Profile Image for Say.
1,177 reviews49 followers
May 12, 2013
This book reminds me so much of......YES! Painted Faces by L.H. Cosway. If you guys have read that you would know what I mean. I don't wanna spoil the mystery behind Liam's "secret" lifestyle. But I guess the difference between Crossing and Painted Faces, Liam was ridiculed more for choosing the said lifestyle. But I would say Dani I just love the girl! Her spunk and her endless babbling (it reminds me of the women in Alice Clayton's books) makes me want to be her best friend. And Liam oh my Liam.....good thing you are pretty!

This is definitely a must read!!! Thank God for this book, after reading several bleh ones.......=)
Profile Image for Bèbè ✦ RANT  ✦.
405 reviews133 followers
September 3, 2013
*ARC provided by the author in exchange for an honest review*

Crossing
is a very deep love story about two people who are realistic with their personalities and emotions. It’s not a cliché story about perfect girl and perfect boy having the most perfect relationship.

hold hands gif photo: hold hands gif stay_zpsafde807f.gif

Dani is not perfect. An aspiring college theatre major met Liam in a theatre class and does not think that a girl like her belongs with a guy like him. She knows that she’s not the skinniest girl in the world but she is confident in herself and doesn’t care. She’s corky, fun, and she is real.

Liam is charming and can have any girl that he wants. But he chooses Dani. He likes her for who she is and doesn’t care about other girls. Their love is real and the emotions and feelings that they have for each other cannot be ignored.

"Stop making excuses for why you can’t let yourself have this. It’s not conventional but that doesn’t mean it isn’t real. What’s more important? Loving the man that loves you, or trying to achieve this bullshit idea you have of what a perfect relationship is supposed to be?”

This was an amazing and absolutely beautiful story. This is the book that makes girls have that hope that their Price Charming is out there and all they need to do is wait. I was able to really connect with the characters and enjoy the story. A must read for everyone who wants to see true love through a real girl’s eyes.
Profile Image for Dianne.
320 reviews155 followers
May 18, 2013
*Also posted at Oops! I Read A Book Again*

Past one in the morning, I couldn't sleep and decided to read something light. I recently got approved for Crossing over at NetGalley and vaguely remembering that it was a contemporary new adult romance, I delved right into it. Coupled with that wistful, swoony cover, I thought for sure I will enjoy the time I spend reading it while trying to lull myself to sleep. Then I got to the amazing blurbs and I knew I will enjoy for sure.

Enjoy I did! Dani's that chubby heroine we rarely read about. She deadpans and delivers self-deprecating jokes. She's witty and sarcastic, which wins all tons of nods and approvals from me. Maybe it's because I am also chubby as well and I would love to read about a girl more like myself who wins that hot and cute guy in the end. What? A girl can dream!

Dani is so like me, with our body issues and our notions about how people belong to certain levels in the appearance scale and that they almost usually only date people on their levels. Dani's funny, no, she's hilarious and loud-mouthed and just so me. Some people tell her/us we're insecure but she/we only tell the truth. I mean, there's no sense in making herself/myself believe that she/we is/are not padded by some extra layers of fat here and there. She/we knows it, accepts it and moves on. I completely resonated with her because while I do wish I was skinnier, I accept the way I look and am too lazy to work out. She's also the wingman kind of girl and I totally am and she's the type who's hag to the fag and I totally am. Our similarities are so abundant that I just felt like I was her (except for her well-endowed rack and rear). So you might say that I am completely biased because I feel for the character and maybe I am but the merits of this novel doesn't stop there.

Dani and Liam's interactions at the start of the novel had me giddy with glee. Liam keeps up with Dani's sarcastic wit and I enjoy every single moment they're together. Their acting class sure seemed like a blast and their smartmouthedness had me laughing so many times. And of course, the steamy scenes were steamy.

Then the secret was brought up and I was intensely curious to know what it was. I had no idea and unlike some others who've seen it coming, I completely had no clue. I guess it's a culture thing as I'm not that familiar with that lifestyle. Do know that I'm pretty much on the liberal crowd of this conservative country (I am deeply grateful for my secular education) so this novel might not be for everyone. It's hard to review this novel without spilling the secret Liam's hiding but revealing it would be a disservice to the novel. The twist is so unique, which made this novel one-of-a-kind. I have never read anything like this. I thought I was in for your run-of-the-mill contemporary NA romance and I was so wrong. It delved into a lifestyle I never even knew before reading this and it had me googling and reading and understanding a lot. A whole lot. I was confused but now I am starting to understand.

So on that front alone, I thank you Stacey for making me a whole lot worldlier than I was a few hours ago. Dani and Liam's relationship might not be what you consider normal but if it works, it works. I admire it all the more as this was inspired by a true story, Stacey's own story. I think it takes a lot of courage to write something so personal as I know how much research writers do just to make everything feel organic. But here, you know she experienced these firsthand. Of course she admitted to taking some artistic liberties and embellished it for public consumption but to come up with a novel from your own experience is courageous as it is.

For the characters, it's obvious I love Dani and Liam. If you're wondering about the depth of Dani's character, fret not as her backstory had me want to hug her. It wasn't explored that much but it wasn't glossed over too. Stacey put the right amount of spotlight on her past but had the story moving along to more pressing issues at hand. I love Dani's roommate Elizabeth too and all of her wise words and how she nudges Dani to the right decisions and directions, without intruding at all, giving her the space and making her decide for herself. Brynn's the very understanding and spunky sister Liam could ever ask for and all the theater people were awesome. India, however hateful, quite redeemed herself in the end. I love how much this novel promotes individuality and being who you are, accepting and living your identity. I think it sends a nice message to anyone reading it.

All in all, I recommend this to any YA or NA readers who want something fresh, something new. With a winning and completely relatable (at least for me) and relating heroine who breaks molds with her plus size, it was completely not what I expected at one in the morning but turned out to be what I completely needed to read without me even knowing it. It entirely took me by surprise and I thank and love my insomnia-induced hunger for reading that led me to this wonderful novel. Righteous! *wink* Ursula reference *wink*
Profile Image for Farrah.
1,249 reviews209 followers
September 5, 2013
Definitely different. I was expecting a sweet, light contemporary romance going into this, but I was taken by surprise. Crossing was a lovely book with a twist that I never saw coming. I can honestly say I've never seen a romance like this before. And that's what made it so good.

My one problem with the book was that Dani was a little frustrating to me at first. It was one thing that she was self deprecating, but she was to the point that she pushed it onto others. She got better later on, so I didn't mind too much, but it did irritate me. Otherwise, I thought she was a good character. Easy to relate to and easy to like.

Liam...
He was super sweet. He was an utterly adorable character, one that is easy to fall for. I thought he was wonderful.
And, his secret? It's quite the secret. I never saw it coming. I think others might, but I just didn't even consider what it turned out to be. There are hints, but they went right over my head, so it came as a shock to me. But it only made his character more interesting and definitely unique in the world of romance.

The romance was super sweet and the attraction between these two was constantly red hot.

The plot was fast paced and I was hooked the entire way though. As I said, Liam's secret created quite the twist. I really enjoyed the story and the ending was lovely.

Crossing is a unique romance. And, it's differences are what made it outstanding. I thought it was a lovely read. Romance lovers, if you want something that takes you by surprise, you should give this book a try.

*I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review
Profile Image for Magan Vernon.
Author 81 books930 followers
May 7, 2013
I laughed. I cried. I belted out show tunes.

When it seems like everyone and their mom is coming out with a contemp, New Adult novel, it's hard to pick one. It's also hard to start distinguishing which book is which with all the books out there that have the same storyline of broken girl + bad boy finding love. I'm happy to say that Crossing is completely different and it completely blew me away.

First we meet Dani. Dani isn't your typical angsty heroine. Sure, she's angsty, but she's real. She swears like a truck driver, dances with drag queens, and actually had *gasp* a full figure. Then we meet Liam. Sweet Liam with his dark hair and a killer attitude that made me swoon the moment I met him.

Their relationship blossoms quickly (and very hot), but Liam has a secret that Dani isn't sure she can handle and when it's out in the open, she isn't sure that the people of Oregon can handle it either.

I had so many feels while reading this book. I laughed at Dani's brashness, cried when she revealed a story from her past, and felt like singing every time that Dani did. This is one that cannot be missed!

**eARC provided by author because I wouldn't shut up and begged for it.
Profile Image for Jessica.
460 reviews13 followers
May 21, 2013
Wow...Crossing is going to be a hard book to review because first off I don't want to give anything away and secondly it was such an amazing book that anything I say will never do it any justice. This was such a thought provoking, thoughtfully written, and beautifully executed book. Crossing isn't your typical New Adult fluffy read and I love that. This book is so much more than a romance book. This book was about acceptance of not just yourself, but of others.

Dani is a college student that's extremely outspoken, funny, quick witted, and accepting of others. She consideres herself a plain Jane, she has body issues and she doesn't think she's worthy of any nice, hot looking guy. And because of that I find her relatable.

Liam is a swoony, nice guy that can keep up with Dani's personality and he instantly becomes friends with her. He doesn't see Dani like everyone else see's her or how she views herself. Not everything is what it seem's with Liam though.......

I fell in love with Liam immediately and I loved the banter between Dani & Liam. There were times I literally laughed out loud. I even loved all of the secondary characters. There was nothing in this book that I didn't like! I highly recommend this book.
Profile Image for RaShelle Workman.
Author 214 books1,000 followers
April 29, 2013
Beautiful. Heart wrenching. A true tale of love. It'll make you laugh, cry, and have you running out to buy a tube of red lipstick.
Profile Image for Coco.V.
46.4k reviews4 followers
Want to read
April 17, 2020
🎁 The complete Open Door Love Story (4 book series) is FREE on Amazon today (4/17/2020)! 🎁
Profile Image for Kassiah.
798 reviews85 followers
July 27, 2015
3-1/2 stars. I think.

This review also appears on Pretty Sassy Cool .

Stacey Wallace Benefiel puts a unique and refreshing spin on the all-too familiar I'm too plain and there's no way this gorgeous boy could ever actually want me trope.

Snarky college sophomore Dani Walker literally runs into Liam Garrett on the first day of Acting class. The gorgeous guy leaves an immediate an impression on her.
"His name is Liam, and he's from Boise. Tall. Dark brown hair. It's cut short and not all douche-y and hipster bang-y. Brown eyes. Really nice ass. Like, infinitely grab-able."

"Did he flirt with you, Dani? 'Cause you're blushing!"

I blush deeper. "Not really. Just...he kept up with me."

Dani's used to being overlooked by hot guys (and mediocre guys and almost-unacceptable guys) for pretty much her entire life. Never having a relationship, she's only had a string of one-night stands. Even after recently breaking up with his long time girlfriend, Liam lets Dani know that he's a relationship-type of guy.
"This is from that redhead over at the end of the bar," [the server] says and then walks away.

Liam looks at me, his eyes sad.

I shrug. "Free liquor."

He holds it up. "To building a friendship." He takes a sip of the shot and then hands the glass to me. "Your share."

"You don't have to," I say, shaking my head.

Liam nudges it toward me.

"Please. What's mine is yours." I take hold of it and he sips his beer. He smiles. "With regards to pre-purchased movie tickets and shots from skanky redheads."

I finish the drink. "Skanky, huh? Sure I'm not cockblocking you?" And now I'm in wing-man mode, my default setting . Come hell or high water, one of us is getting laid tonight, and I guess my money's on Liam.

He sticks out his tongue. "Meh, I can skip the experience."

"Really?" I turn toward the bar to check out the redhead. She shoots me with a withering glare. Ha. "She looks like prime rebound material to me. You could hit that and walk away."

Again with the tongue. "Gross."

Are we in an alternate universe? "What are you talking about?"

"One night stands are gross." Liam levels his gaze at me. "I'm putting part of my body into someone else's body. That's not gonna happen five minutes after I meet you."

After some flirting and getting to know each other, Liam and Dani start dating, but she knows there's something that's just not right with him. He's emo sometimes and seems to be hiding something. I don't want to spoil what it is, but like I said, I've never read anything like this. If you're into New Adult (or steamy YA), this is a great book for you to check out.

I really liked the story and how things played out. I thought the way the "secret" was revealed to us made sense in terms of pacing and was realistic. I loved Liam. He was obviously grappling with something very intense and he was a complex character. He also said some really swoony things:
"You deserve to have someone who wants you every time you walk in the room."

I also loved the tenderness between Dani and Liam. There were many awwww-worthy moments with them. I liked the way their relationship progressed, and that after finding out what was going on with Liam, Dani took some time to think about what that meant for them.

What didn't I like? I didn't love that after the big reveal, Liam's character seemed to be more emotional, though I can certainly understand why. With that being said, I think some of the things he does don't make any sense at all. His secret was just that--a secret. I don't see him parading it around so soon after Dani finds out, especially considering how worried he was about other people finding out. I also really did not like Dani. Her character annoyed me to no end. She makes some choices that I really, really did not appreciate, and honestly, I don't know if I was rooting for her.

I also thought there were some unrealistic reactions. One example is when Dani goes to her neighbors' house:
"I need condoms," I announce, before noticing that people other than Kris and Cam are in the room.

Some douche stoner dude looks me up and down. "Why do you need condoms?"

It's not like she was Quasimodo or something. I felt like the thing that made me love the beginning--its realisticness--kind of fizzled out toward the end. It seemed to me that Benefiel was so focused on making a statement about her characters' lifestyles that she forgot to keep them in-character. Or maybe that's just going back to the fact that I didn't like Dani.

I totally respect Benefiel for creating this storyline. This is one of those stories that if it had a good editor, I believe all of the issues I had would have been cleaned up, and the story would have been amazing. Regardless of the things that I didn't like about it, I found this a unique New Adult book, and I really enjoyed it. It's a quick read, and I think that ya'll will like it too :)
Profile Image for Marianne (Boricuan Bookworms) .
796 reviews402 followers
October 6, 2013
Crossing More review can be seen on my blog Boricuan Bookworms

E-book provided by Publisher via Netgalley

“What’s more important? Loving the man that loves you, or trying to achieve this bullshit idea you have of what a perfect relationship is supposed to be?”
Here’s what you need to know beforehand: This book is definitely NOT a generic “New Adult” title. This book breaks through your comfort zone and introduces you to a brand new theme in the “new adult” genre.

I can’t really do a review that justifies this book without giving away anything, but I will say that what made this book was the message.

This book is mainly about overcoming fears, accepting and loving yourself, self-discovery, and about accepting others for who they are.

At the end of the book, there’s even a author’s note which makes this story much more real.

However, even if I loved the message of the book, I couldn’t enjoy the characters. For starters, Dani is so self-deprecating. I honestly HATED every time she would complain of her “shortcomings”. I, for one, feel sick of society’s false image of the perfect female, and I guess I understand why Dani felt the way she did about herself, but I don’t agree with her. She’d constantly find ways to shoot herself down, and even when someone was telling her “You’re beautiful, you’re amazing. I’M NOT LYING TO YOU”, she’d still genuinely believed that she was ugly, fat, plain, etc., etc.

“There’s your issue right there. Fuck, why are you so down on yourself?”
Other than Dani, I couldn’t feel a connection to Liam, the love interest. I didn’t feel Liam’s personality until nearing the end. I did enjoy every time Liam would challenge Dani and make her realize that, dammit, she is good enough and she is worth it.

The other characters weren’t very present in the story, and only appeared at times to help develop the scenes more.

Although I didn’t really like the characters in this story, I did like the romance. The romance was sweet and slow-building, transitioning nicely from friendship to something else. Liam was always so sweet to Dani, and I enjoyed every time they had a “serious” conversation.

“I wasn’t always like this,” I say, indignant. “So don’t give me that ‘low self-confidence is a turn-off’ bullshit….” … Liam’s eyes go sad again. “Well, don’t do it anymore. You deserve someone who wants you every time you walk in the room.” I don’t have a witty comeback for that. It’s the nicest thing any guy has ever said to me.
See what I mean? The only reason why I didn’t feel like punching Dani in the face is because of Liam. Don’t ask me why, because I honestly do not know.

Overall, although I did not like the characterization in this book, I did enjoy the message and overall theme.

Rating: 3.5 Stars
Profile Image for Karla Mae (Reads and Thoughts).
696 reviews143 followers
October 6, 2013
'He stole her lipstick and her heart'

I never thought that that opening line of this book would mean so much more than - definitely so much more! Plus this is one of those rare times that a story definitely leaves me somewhat disturbed and a bit skeptical. Crossing is not your generic Contemporary story. At first, I thought it was just that but I was definitely wrong. It deals with more prominent issues that I was honestly not aware of until I have read this.

Will the chubby girl gets the cute guy at the end?

Dani is our chubby heroine with body and social issues but usually brush it away by giving self-depreciating jokes about her. She's sarcastic and witty! I understand her shortcomings but sometimes it gets too much and with Liam telling her sweet nottings her insecurities wouldn’t go away and it’s eating her up in a not so good way. Her background wasn’t much explore which has its pros and cons - con because I wanted to see where those short coming and insecurities of her came from; I'm looking for some history. The pro to this is that the author did a good job of at least balancing out her past and focusing more on the present pressing matters.

Liam was also okay but I didn’t get quite a connection with him. I guess it was because of his too deep and reflective character - I don’t know. But I do like how he challenged Dani.

The way these two met has me really smiling. And their interactions make me giddier about them. I like how Liam keeps up with Dani's attitude - sarcastic wit or not. Their relationship starts of normal - sweet and slow building - but once you got to know it all and the beans are spilled I thought their relationship was really not normal at all - it was unique and if it works for the both of them - lets just leave them at that.

As I have mentioned on the first part of my review, the certain twist of the story left me somewhat disturbed and skeptical. It's hard to put into words and describe the twist without spilling the whole juice but revealing it would mean so much so I will just do my best here. I really had no idea what was really coming, I honestly have no clue - well I have ideas of sorts but it was too far away. I'm honestly not familiar with the lifestyle that is presented as a twist to the story. It was unique which makes this really stand-out for me I guess. The story serves as an eye-opener for me for the lifestyles that is presented – maybe I’ll find a time to Google and get to know more about it.

If you wanted to see something fresh and something new you should give Crossing a try. It was a story more on the side of acceptance, overcoming fears and self discovery.

PS. Oh and the chubby girl did get the cute guy at the end. ;)

*Copy kindly provided for review*
*Blog Tour deets posted at Reads and Thoughts.
Profile Image for Autumn.
969 reviews48 followers
September 3, 2013
BRILLIANT!

Obviously Ill have more to say on this subject soon.. Real Soon.

Its always nice when being a cover whore pays off. Yes, I signed up for this tour because of the cover. I skimmed the blurb :D . What can I say I like to live on the wild side.
The cover is not an accurate portrayal of Dani but really who cares! Okay I kinda cared only because she owned who she was! Dani. Is. Awesome. Shes smart and witty and fecked up. She was completely relatable, refreshing and real!!!! Thank you Stacey!!! Dani was as I just stated was a refreshing break from a lot of the MCs ive been reading lately. Either they are drop dead gorgeous and know it or don’t and refuse to admit to themselves they arent hard on the eyes. Sure Dani finds herself to be plain but shes not CONSTANTLY doubting yourself. Shes real. Although she does
fear that her string of one night stands is some evidence of what shes lacking. UNTIL, oh yes I said until Liam convinces her shes prefect and lovable the way she is.
Now, lets talk Liam shall we. Liam is a hottie Dani meets the first day of a new semester at U of O (Go Ducks!). Dani recently changed majors and begins taking acting classes. Liam is a perfect match for Dani. He matches her quip for quip. Hes also pretty smart. PLUS theres something about him that makes Dani feel safe, she opens up about her past and they really connect. You cannot help but root for them. Which is kinda hard sometimes because you really dont know what Liams secret is. I mean there are times it doesnt look good.
You have no idea how difficult this review is to write because I want with EVERY FIBER OF MY BEING TO SPILL THE BEANS! But im reigning myself in -sigh-
Crossing was completely original to me and I swear im not blowing smoke up your ass. And if that isnt enough for you its brilliantly written. Before writing my review I ran over to goodreads, I was extremely curious to see how other people handled their reviews. Did they spill the beans? Did they love the book as much as I did?! No they didnt and yes they did! You see spoilers would totally suck. I want you to go out and purchase the book, then purchase the book for a friend and then request that your local library purchase the a copy for their collection. Oh shit, I got sidetracked. Oh yea there was a common them I noticed in other reviews was everyone seemed to find some aspect of Dani that they found relatable. Also Stacey is basically a badass. I couldnt agree more.
Another delightful tidbit. Stacey is Dani! Well kinda. And Liam is based off of her first boyfriend with embellishments.
Profile Image for Charlotte  Black.
346 reviews20 followers
June 23, 2013
4.5

Firstly, isn't the cover beautiful? So pretty. I have to say, I adored Crossing by Stacey Wallace Benefiel. I haven't read any of her other work but as a New Adult story this sums up the genre perfectly. Discovering who you are, not what everyone expects you to be.

Dani meets, gets on well with and soon becomes good friends with Liam Garrett. He gets her, matches her and accepts her. Dani has very low self-esteem and constantly talks down about herself to others. A trait that takes time to accept if at all, so Dani initially has problems understanding why Liam likes her. She isn't tall or exotically pretty or stick thin, she's just normal and Liam is gorgeous. Eventually, after a night of tequila they become an item and I really loved their relationship to begin with. But then Liam starts hiding away, pretending to be busy. Is he having an affair? He seems so 'into' Dani when they are together.

When Liam comes out with his secret it wasn't hard to guess what it was. Some of the doubts Dani harbours are an instinct reaction and she sticks with it even after living with weeks of second guessing herself not believing she was good enough for him. But as before they find a work around and settle back, again, into their relationship being truer and more open and honest with each other.

Liam's story is fascinating. I have a friend who had trouble in his early years too. His parents refused to accept who he was and even kicked him out of their house. But much like being gay, the hardest part is admitting it to yourself. Others will accept you as you are and if they don't then they weren't real friends in the first place.

In Crossing, the aftermath of the hospital scene was gut-wrenching. But I totally saw through Liam not being in contact. Of course his mother would be screening every form of contact Dani could possible make to get hold of him. But Dani was right to wait for Liam this time.

I've tried not to give too many spoilers away for this one. We live in a day and age where judging people for what they look like is dead and gone. People are people, what's inside is all that counts.

And, oh go on then, a small spoiler. Who else can admit that Eddie Izzard in heels, eye-liner and lipstick looks absolutely gorgeous. I think he does!!

Well done, Stacey, I loved it!
Profile Image for Jaymie.
673 reviews11 followers
May 20, 2013
There is absolutely no way I can write a review for this book and give it the true attention and praise it deserves without spoilers, it could never do it justice, so I apologize for giving anything away.

The author has An incredible voice and a great ability to enable her readers to actually visualize the events unfolding as we read them. The dialogue is both entertaining and believable. The plot is fresh and unique and the characters are real and likable. This is a book I definitely recommend.

*Thank You to NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this book for honest review.
Profile Image for Crystal.
366 reviews
May 27, 2013
Liam may have stolen Dani's lipstick, but both of them stole my heart. It has been a long time since I fell head over heels for characters in a book. Love 'em both! Dani and Liam have never really been true to themselves until they met each other. Dani is a little overweight and has been teased for most of her childhood. Its gotten so bad that she jokingly tells her friend that if they continue, she'll kill herself. Chase, her best friend growing up, is gay and after being attacked one day, he does kill himself. I wanted to hug Dani after reading this passage. As a reader, it was obvious that this event stripped Dani of her last remaining strands of self-confidence and she convinced herself that she is unloveable. Liam has his own secrets. He's had to hide his secret for a very long time. After a chance encounter involving a door, both of their worlds are flipped for the better. I'm telling you, Dani and Liam were a gift for each other. They needed each other to become whole and it was beautiful watching them come to each other.

"Crossing" was so beautifully written. There are parts of the book that made me laugh, parts that made me happy, and several parts that broke my heart. The subtle hints to Liam's secret were perfectly placed. Although it is pretty easy to uncover his secret early on in the book, the scene in which Dani finally catches on was remarkably written. Liam's reaction to Dani's actions broke my heart. Afterwards, Dani's reaction to the discovery made me like her even more. I just wanted to hug both of them and tell them everything was going to be okay. "Crossing" was an amazing book and I finished it in a day. It left me hoping for more because I just have to know what happens with these two (...although the author's note gives a little hint).

If you enjoy angsty "new adult" romance with two characters that I think are perfect for each other, then you need to read this one.
415 reviews127 followers
August 5, 2013

“Stop making excuses for why you can’t let yourself have this. It’s not conventional but that doesn't mean it isn't real. What’s more important? Loving the man that loves you, or trying to achieve this bullshit idea you have of what a perfect relationship is supposed to be?”

This was a story of love and above else acceptance. The courage to truly show how you really are and the courage to accept something that can be perceived has unconventional.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Dani perceives herself as a plain Jane and never a guy's first choice. She only thinks guys want one night stands with her because it was always what she get from them. Never romance, never love.
Until she met the gorgeous Liam, her acting partner.
It all begins with friendship and bantering and evolves to something more...

Any fears I had about his being drunk that night and me being a rebound vanish. I was a choice. This beautiful, kind, funny boy chose me.
"And what was your deciding point?"
"When you told me about only having one night stands and about how there are some women who take what they can get. I just couldn't see a way where the night didn't end without me in your bed trying to prove you wrong."

Liam does have a secret. Will it stand in the way of their chance of happiness?

***
I did enjoyed reading this story! Some parts were fun and light, while other extremely emotional. And other will leave you frustrated of how narrow minded some people can be...

**egalley kindly provided via Netgalley in exchange of an honest review **
Profile Image for Bianca.
529 reviews59 followers
July 12, 2016
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley, courtesy of the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Crossing was the most deep love story I think I’ve ever read. It is a story about Dani, an aspiring college theatre major meeting her acting partner, Liam in a theatre class. Dani is not the girl we read about in romance novels. She is corky, fun, and just real. She is not perfect. I loved that the most about her. As a reader I found her to be relatable. She had a fun sense of humor and the banter between her and Liam was great.

Liam is hot, charming, and a guy that every girl finds attractive. Dani doesn’t see herself with someone like him since she’s just an average girl. However there is a connection between Dani and Liam that cannot be ignored. Dani ends up falling Liam, hard.

Crossing is a story about true love and acceptance. It is about self-discovery and being able to overcome the deepest fear- to not be loved unconditionally and whole heartedly. The love Dani has for Liam is put to the test in the ultimate way possible, as she learns his secret. This is not your average fluffy new adult romance novel. It will shatter what you think real love is. And I mean this in the most beautiful way possible. It's different, and not for everyone.

I completely fell in love with this story and it’s characters. It will forever have a place in my heart as a story I will not forget. I recommend this story to anyone who is looking for a different new adult novel. If you want something that is real and that deals with something that society seems to sweep under the rug, then this is for you. I mean it when I say that this has to be one of the most beautiful love story I have ever read. True love always endures. Thank you to the author for sharing her story.
694 reviews16 followers
June 10, 2013
After reading Found, Benefiel's YA paranormal follow-up to the Zellie Wells trilogy (review here), I was happy to read whatever I could get my hands on by the author. Bizarrely, I'd already seen Crossing listed on Netgalley but had dismissed it in a bad case of judging a book by its cover. I couldn't have been more wrong. When you see the kissing couple and pinkness of the cover you could be forgiven for expecting a fluffy tale of happy romance. What you're getting is a deep, personal and boundary-destroying love story.

The way Dani deals with Liam is just brilliant. Because she's never been in a relationship and has such a low opinion of herself, she doesn't expect anything and doesn't push. She realises early on that there's something not quite right, but she doesn't want to risk losing everything, so she just leaves it. No hassle, no drama. When she does find out the full story, she's amazing. Lots of people say they didn't see the twist coming, but I have to say I saw it straight away. This didn't diminish my enjoyment of the book at all though, so if you're as perceptive as I am, don't worry - just relax and enjoy the ride.

Crossing is all kinds of wonderful. It's funny, touching, brave and daring. And it's based on a true story, which makes it even more so. I feel priveledged that I've been allowed to share this story.

Full review at http://escapeintowords.blogspot.co.uk...
Profile Image for Leigh Moore.
Author 24 books643 followers
June 30, 2013
omg--I LOVED this book so much.

For starters, it's about theater majors in college, which is FAB.
MC Dani is sarcastic and funny and insecure and talented, and she has great chemistry w/her acting partner Liam, who is totally hot.

Example of the hilarity (Dani & Liam at his apartment before they go to a movie):

"What's through the other door, your secret sex dungeon?" I point at the closet.
"Don't you wish," he says, grinning and wagging his eyebrows at me.
I do. Lord, I do.

LOL! :D

Anyway, Liam's got a BIG secret. And it's something not discussed much in popular culture. It's handled with such sensitivity and care and honesty, you go through all the emotions with Dani. The doubts and questions. SUCH great writing.

I had so many favorite lines, and TWICE I had tears in my eyes. It's just that good.

Highly recommend! Read this NOW~ <3
Profile Image for Jeanine.
161 reviews37 followers
May 24, 2013
Crossing is not your average new adult book. It was mostly out of my element (which isn't a bad thing) but I did figure out what was going on pretty early in the book, so I can't say that the happenings in this book are completely off my radar. ;)
I wish I had more time to review Crossing, but I have to get up and out of this house; duty calls!
If you are searching for a read that hasn't been done before, you need to buy Crossing. I was amazed when I found out the author based this book on a part of her life! I am praying that Chase's story is not something Ms. Benefiel had to endure :(
419 reviews62 followers
May 18, 2013
3.5

Beautiful story with great characters and a lot of potential but it felt a bit rushed at times and didn't reach deep enough - there just was something missing for me. I'm still really glad I read it though.

Deutsche Rezension folgt bald.
Profile Image for AND 1515.
1,253 reviews14 followers
January 15, 2021
Being Different Isn't A Bad Thing...

by and1515

Her roommate was an Elizabeth who didn't like the various pretty nicknames so like a certain character she was Elizabeth and she seemed more concerned about my pathetic love life then me because honestly when it came to boys well things just didn't work out for me.
His name was Liam and they meet in Acting 101and wow he had a pair of beautiful brown eyes.
Yeah we didn't exactly make the greatest first or even second impression but hey third time might be the charm. And when
we were chosing our partners for the next couple of months and no I'd made up my mind and Liam was it and I really didn't care what anyone else thought.
They spent time playing twenty questions trying to figure each other out and how they proceed each other at a first glance.
Her bestie knew exactly what to say to when wishing her good luck a woman should always wear her lucky lips stuff in the best red.
Liam had complained about his address being in the wrong section of town but now seeing his abode and I'm almost envious unlike my more modern and sterile apartment.
And of course there's that one place that every hormonal young marked as their personal stumping ground.
Guy liner and the wonders of lucky red lips stuff and to some to much PDA but honestly who really cares.
Even with between her nerves and excitement she had a total wonderful time he even left a note that only a blind fool wouldn't have missed... Although he stole her lucky stuff.
Dani couldn't believe that stupid heifer had some nerve to honestly think her opinion of their relationship really mattered.
Because according to Liam she was his girlfriend and that's all that really mattered.
The party of all parties and the horrible headache the morning after and the secret she unwittingly figured out that had Liam running out her door.
Dani was left with tons of questions and zero answers.
Okay so Liam might not fit in the proverbial box; being different should never be seen as a bad thing.
Once she was thinking clearly again Dani went running to Liam's where she finally got to see the real Liam in all his beautiful splendor.
However great things seemed to be going there is always those dark cloud moments were haters are going to hate because that's all they know.
Dani was still trying to understand why people could treat others so horrible just for being different.
I wasn't about to run home with my tail tucked away.
And no I wasn't going to let Liam's ex-girlfriend slam him for not being what she tried to make him.
His parents took him away leaving me on the outside trying to deal with everything by myself.
But she was losing hope with no way to reach out to him but then like a ray of sunshine his little sister came baring all the answers she'd needed.
However if he still wanted her... Still wanted them then he was the one who needed to show it.

I received a free copy of this book via Booksprout and am voluntarily leaving a review
Profile Image for Trace.
8 reviews2 followers
May 23, 2013

Crossing by Stacey Wallace Benefiel is one heck of a unique love story. This book is hilarious, romantic and wicked sexy. What a beautiful snowflake!

It didn't take long to decide that I wanted to buy it, and even less time to fall completely in love and had me running to the store to buy some red lipstick.

The story starts off with Dani, who is just your average young woman with a lot of image issues. She's witty and sassy, a bit of a firecracker and quite blunt. Not possessing a filter, she often says what's on her mind - and I love her for that. She's one of the most relatable and real characters I've come across. She's vulnerable and beautiful, but sometimes I really want to smack this girl - mostly because I see a lot of parallels between her and I. Do you ever get that feeling like you wish you could step out of your body (or go back in time) and just slap yourself for saying or doing something stupid? That feeling is applied to Dani. Most of the time I was on her side, though. Having been bullied and feeling inadequate for several years, my heart hurt for Dani because I know what it's like to feel not good enough, or to accept and settle for 'crap' because that's all you're ever going to get. So when people would make comments about her weight or that she's not beautiful enough to be with Liam, I felt like a sister or best friend and just wanted to jump in the book and claw at whatever they have exposed. I wanted to protect Dani and let her know how important and amazing she is. She has a lot to learn, but she does eventually come to love herself, and of course at a price. We don't usually appreciate what we have until it's been changed or completely gone. The same applies here.

So, we meet Dani and then comes Liam. He's sexy as hell, and if this guy can turn you on in a book, I can only imagine what he'd be like in real life. Hot damn. The chemistry between them is both hot and adorable, but there's a secret that's ruining the relationship's potential. I'm not going to reveal Liam's secret though, because I think you need to buy the book and find out for yourself. He's sexy and swoon-worthy. He's not your typical brooding love interest. He's full of personality and throws back what you dish out. He's charming, considerate and thorough. A true gentlemen, holding doors and making sure you're fully satisfied and happy with every aspect. I would say he's a lover and a fighter (when necessary). The only thing I'd change would be his inability to let other in with ease, but it's completely understandable with his history and chosen lifestyle why he is the way he is.

Now I have a confession: For several chapters, I was convinced that Liam was either an alien or an angel. Usually when you read something or watch a movie/TV show, the "secret" is revealed pretty early on - it's just not obvious. I figured "Crossing" meant that maybe he was an angel or ghost and would be "crossing" over later on in the book. Nope. Then I thought "HE'S AN ALIEN!" because he had this big secret that he was terrified to reveal, and the story starts off with them doing a bit about him being an alien and getting her pregnant (they're in an acting class). When you start off a book with an alien lover comment, I'm going to assume that your character is an alien and the big secret is that he's a spaceman. So I was pretty convinced. I started making bets with myself.

I liked some of the other characters. Elizabeth, Ursula and Liam's sister Brynn were great, and just wished karma would bite some of the other ones in the ass like India, but for me it was all about Dani and Liam. I just couldn't get enough of them. I would have been happy with an entire book with just the main two.

One of the several things I loved about this book was the relationship development. By the end of the first chapter, I was already shipping them. Done deal, they belong together. But I loved that it wasn't "Hey, nice to meet ya!" and then a romp in the sack later that night. It was friendship first. Too many stories start with the characters ending up in bed together before they know each other's last name. This one was different. The pace was perfect for me. And just a sidenote: When a guy genuinely tells you, "I'm over skinny, flat, and bitchy. I've played that record" - he's definitely worth it.

Understanding. The amount of acceptance and understanding in Dani and Liam's relationship is inspiring. It encourages me to stretch the boundaries that I thought I had already stretched to the max.

A story within a story. Dani's monologue about her best friend broke my heart. To this day, people still do whatever they want, treat everyone however they feel like and don't pay attention or even care about the consequences of their actions. I'm sick tired of the close-minded bullies who assume that being different is disgusting and wrong. There is no 'normal' way to live. You're just you, so you should be able to live life as your true self without feeling like a criminal or a freak for being anything outside of the boundaries of what's considered "normal" or socially acceptable. This book shows those issues and the reality that comes with being different. It does not sugarcoat.

It's genuine. To be able to relate to a character is important to me, it's what helps me get into a story. The characters are just normal and beautifully flawed. This could have been written about your neighbor, best friend, sibling, or even you. That's what I liked so much about it. It's a real story, about real people with genuine reactions. And I have to say, I am so happy that Dani isn't your typical stick thin, doe-eyed innocent protagonist who doesn't stick up for herself. She represents the other side of the female population, and does it with ease and grace. She dances with drag queens, drinks a bit too much and swears a lot. She doesn't put up with your crap and isn't afraid to make a fool of herself and jokingly shout out that she has an std just to apologize for being an asshole. She's my spirit animal and I regret nothing.

Bottom line: This is a fantastic book and I recommend it. It has everything you need, and everything you didn't think you needed. I laughed, cried, cringed and got butterflies. From just laughing my ass off, to giggling like a school girl and sobbing like a toddler, I had a blast reading Crossing and letting it break my heart, only to fix it again moments later. It will probably be one of my most-read books. I'm also hoping for a sequel, but I doubt it will happen. A girl can dream, though.

So go and buy it (and get some red lipstick, too)! This gem is definitely worth it. I got it for less on Kobo because I had a promo code, but right now it's $0.99 and I think it's severely under-priced.
Profile Image for Megan.
1,516 reviews40 followers
September 6, 2013
Crossing was nothing at all like I expected. I expected a light, fluffy contemporary romance, but I ended up with a funny, entertaining novel that dealt with an important, yet rarely encountered issue. I say that books are unique a lot because I frequently find unique elements of most stories. However, Crossing really takes that word and runs with it because I can honestly say I’ve never read a book dealing with the main issue that Crossing deals with. Ever.

Dani was an incredible character. Her personality and humor jumped out almost immediately. I held the book in my hands expecting a heroine much like those I’ve seen before and I got a loud, happy, charismatic girl with a raunchy and odd sense of humor who surprised me! I think most people will find her to be original and refreshing. In many ways, she was everything I’ve ever wanted in a heroine. She wasn’t afraid to be herself.

Liam kept up with her and had a similar sense of humor. The two of them hit it off immediately. Their relationship was more of a friendship at first, which I loved, before it blossomed into something more. Liam was always there for Dani, always building her up, and I thought they worked well as a team. Other people couldn’t always figure out why on earth a gorgeous guy like Liam was with a plain, chubby girl like Dani, but Liam wasn’t afraid to defend Dani’s honor and stand up for their relationship. He was an easy guy to fall for, a good match for Dani, and the kind of person who never wanted her to feel like she was mediocre.

Despite how much I absolutely loved Dani, I also disliked her a little bit. I hated the way she let her insecurities get the best of her. She was such an unforgettable heroine everyone could root for and relatable. She wasn’t skinny or timid or reserved, but for all of her outward joy and confidence, she was horribly insecure about herself. She put herself down and it was somehow worse because she wrapped up her body image into an entire cynical world view. She put down skinny girls frequently, which I hated to see, put down herself most of all, which I hated to see even more, and measured herself against every other woman based on body type alone. She assumed every man wanted the skinny girls she compared herself to and she ended up selling herself short constantly. Her humor was great, but sometimes it was such a defense mechanism that it just wasn’t funny at all. In her defense, I don’t think her issues were unrealistic and they did improve as the story progressed, it just took quite awhile.

The relationship between Liam and Dani was not without conflicts. Liam was hiding something. For all of his amazing qualities, it was obvious that something was going on or Dani was so insanely insecure she was making things up. I wasn’t sure what direction the story would take while reading it, but I never imagined it would go where it went. I might have originally wanted to give the book a 3 star rating overall because I felt like I was waiting for Dani to FINALLY love herself, but the fact that the story had the guts to go where it did, deal with the issues it dealt with, and somehow remain the kind of romance I want to work and I want to root for made me decide to give it 4 stars. It was such a courageous move to write a story like Crossing. And somehow, an idea that might have made me go WTF? before became something I felt like the characters could deal with and make normal. And I felt like I learned something, too. Through the conflict, both Dani and Liam ended up being stronger than average people or couples and I thought both of them really needed that.

Crossing was totally unique, quirky, fun, and deep. The characters were as unforgettable as the shocking plot. I admire the author so much for writing a romance that should have been too weird/crazy/unrelatable for anyone to get into, but was instead a romance I rooted for the entire time. I recommend the book, but it is not for the easily offended. The characters are open minded, humorous, occasionally vulgar and the plot had mature themes and scenes. I wouldn’t spoil the plot for anything and I think the cover and synopsis do a great job of being accurate and representative of the story without giving anything away.

Favorite Quotes:
“Stop making excuses for why you can’t let yourself have this. It’s not conventional but that doesn’t mean it isn’t real. What’s more important? Loving the man that loves you, or trying to achieve this bullshit idea you have of what a perfect relationship is supposed to be?”

“His short brown hair has a wave to it, but he’s got it cut conservatively. None of that weirdness that looks like the guy’s had all of his hair sucked forward in a vacuum.”

“I was a choice. This beautiful, kind, funny boy chose me.”

“‘Can I be super lame and ask you to take my picture with—’

Liam’s phone makes a clicking sound. ‘On it. Now smile for this one, ‘cause you were talking during that one.’”

“‘How’re you doing?’

The question hangs there in the air until I give in to the need to give my blanket answer. ‘Fine.’

‘Fine as in satisfied and spent or fine as in freaking out and thinking I’m going to sneak out in the middle of the night?’

I clear my throat. ‘Second choice.’”

“‘Dani?’ he says softly.

I nod. ‘I’m fine.’

‘First choice?’

‘First choice.’”

Review originally published at Love, Literature, Art, and Reason book review blog
Profile Image for Pretty Sassy Cool.
293 reviews40 followers
October 5, 2014
3 stars.

"Did he flirt with you, Dani? 'Cause you're blushing!"

I blush deeper. "Not really. Just...he kept up with me."

Liam looks at me, his eyes sad.

I shrug. "Free liquor."

"You don't have to," I say, shaking my head.

Liam nudges it toward me.

He sticks out his tongue. "Meh, I can skip the experience."

Again with the tongue. "Gross."

Are we in an alternate universe? "What are you talking about?"

"You deserve to have someone who wants you every time you walk in the room."

Some douche stoner dude looks me up and down. "Why do you need condoms?"

For more reviews and bookish talk, visit our blog at Pretty Sassy Cool
Pretty Sassy Cool Book Reviews and More
Profile Image for What Makes Patri.
298 reviews208 followers
September 6, 2013
We are The Unofficial Addiction Book Fan Club, to know more about this book, go to the post in our website:

Crossing by Stacey Wallace Benefiel

If you are interested, you can visit our website:

The Unofficial Addiction Book Fan Club

The Unofficial Addiction Book Fan Club's Review:

"Beauty is sometimes hidden under a veil of tragedy."

Review:

Crossing is definitely a different book. You look at the cover and you think, wow, such a cute cover, it must be a sweet contemporary romance, for sure. Then you read the description, and confirm your suspicions. However, I was truly surprised when I knew Liam's secret, because it changes everything!
This secret makes the story different and intriguing, because you don't know what is going to happen; If this secret would make Dani leave Liam or not.
I never read a similar story and it was refreshing. A different story from our usual stack of books where the main characters have a perfect relationship. Because not everything is perfect in live, and relationships are no exceptions.
Dani, the main characters, might cause different impressions. I really liked her. She's real and says whatever she wants whenever she wants. Like I said, real. She can talk with the guys she is falling in love with about her virtues and also talking about her flaws, fears and shady memories.
She's also brave to me. Her best friend was gay and killed himself. I felt really bad for her and for her friend and also wanted to encourage her to live the way she was living this situation.
She's also funny and it's not scared about Liam's personality at all. She tries to open her mind and not only being talking-but-not-accepting.
Why I say talking-but-not-accepting? Because there are two types of people in this group: people who say they accept other people ideals, sex preferences, etc., but when the person who is different is a familiar or someone close, doesn't accept it. Aka talking-but-not-accepting people. Not really accepting other people, just an illusive idea in their minds to feel better. Or the other type. The ones that truly accept people for who they are.
As for Liam's character, he's plain sweet. He's a nice and adorable guy that is such a great person that you must be heartless If you don't fall for him. However, he has a secret. And it's a huge one. One that you don't see it coming.
In every story there's a moment when everything goes perfectly fine, that you even see the happily ever after coming and all that, and then it comes the part that I like to call: when-everything-goes-wrong. Well, in this book when-everything-goes-wrong, it's not that Liam's secret tear the lovely couple apart, but the secret not being a secret anymore. When Liam's secret is revealed to the "world", it brings consequences that makes the couple suffer. At this point, I was heartbroken. Not only for Dani, but mostly for Liam. I felt really bad and hated the people that hurt them.
However, I was really happy with the ending. With a few quotes from the beginning, that reminds us when Dani and Liam met, to end this wonderful story, and make it more sweet and cute. If that was even possible.
But what really got me was the fact that it's based in a true story. I loved that. Knowing that Dani and Liam's story is based in a real Dani and a real Liam, makes it all way too cute to not give a chance to this book.
I strongly recommend this book to everyone who likes to read romance stories and New Adult. the romance in this book is unique and different from every other romance we are used to and it's worth it to give it a try. I think that this book also makes you think a little bit of... well, everything. Everything related to Liam's secret and having the always expected perfect relationship.
That's why I'm giving this wonderful and real story a four gorjuss dolls and thank the author, Stacey Wallace Benefiel, for writing such a lovely story and Shane, from Itching for Books, for organizing this wonderful tour and giving us the great opportunity of reading and reviewing Crossing.
Profile Image for Mary.
288 reviews31 followers
May 17, 2013
To sum it up, I felt that this was like a toned down version of L.H. Cosway's 'Painted Faces'. I understand that this story was somewhat based from the author's actual experiences and I do think that it's a wonderful thing that she went out and wrote a novel out of it, but I also think that this fell short of what could've been a gripping and powerful love story.

I'm getting more and more fond of enumerating my thoughts and concerns about a story so here goes:

PROS:
1. Addictive writing --- Even though I had some qualms with the characters, I still kept on reading because this was a definite page-turner. I was just addicted to the story so much that I kept on turning one page after the other.
2. Unique premise --- Nope, this is not your typical new adult novel and that alone should be enough reason for you to read this. The characters had a unique problem to deal with, which made this a refreshing take on the world of new adult novels. And even though this was like a college version of Painted Faces (which I completely adored and devoured), I was still well immersed in the world painted in this story that revolved mainly around theatre, acting, and .
3. Liam Garrett --- Yes, I actually consider him as a PRO. He was just so swoony and even though he did have a lot of flaws and shortcomings, he surely made up for it with the way he cared and protected Dani as well as how he showed her how beautiful and awesome she really is on the inside and out.
4. The poetry --- Literary inception? Yeah I guess I could call it that. Dani was one helluva writer and one of the most heart-wrenching moments in this story was her monologue with regards to her best friend Chase. My chest just tightened and I couldn't help but tear up with that gripping piece. In addition, the girl does slam poetry as well and while I would've wanted to see more pieces written within this story, I was still very satisfied with the few pieces that were included.

CONS:
1. Female MC feeling victimized and unworthy because of her physical appearance --- I'm a very tolerating person when it comes to people who don't have high self-esteem, but sometimes, there's such a thing as too much self deprecation. Believe me when I say that I understand where Dani is coming from but the part where she said that "girls like her" just take what they can get hit me in a really bad way. I mean, that was just low. Instead of this story coming off as an inspirational story for girls on the heavier side, I felt that that part turned out to be very demeaning instead. (Thank goodness Liam was there to save the day and show her how amazingly beautiful she really is.)
2. Underdeveloped love story --- As I said, this story fell short of what could've been a gripping, powerful, and inspirational love story and most of that had to do with the underdeveloped love story. Yes, I did feel the intense attraction and chemistry oozing out from both Liam and Dani but I think there was just something missing with how their relationship progressed and developed. It's not even about Liam's secret, but I felt like their connection waned and got lost a bit somewhere in the middle and never fully recovered. But then again, that could've been just me.

All in all, I still highly recommend that you grab this book. Don't get so defeated because of my cons, because those are just my personal feelings and concerns and not all share in those kinds of views and perceptions. And because like what I said, this story was a unique break from your typical overly angsty new adult novels and I'm really sure that you'd love to get that break :)
Profile Image for Tina ♥ Bookaholic.
769 reviews111 followers
August 14, 2013
English Review:
It was nice and it was okay, but unfortunately also not more than that. Although I really looked forward to this book, it didn’t persuade me and it just wasn’t completely for me.

First the writing style of Benfiel has irritated me very much and I found it very chopped off, as well as messy, too bewilderingly and everything in the plot also happened much too fast – not only with the writing, but also by the development of their friendship and finally their relationship.

The characters were just like that. Nice but also not something special, so that they could moved me or touched me deeply in any chapter. For me everything was just flat and short, without depth.
Also this secret problem of Liam wasn’t really something for me, although I’m actually a tolerant person, but I don’t know whether I could live with this situation, if he would be my boyfriend. Please, don’t misunderstand me, everybody can live and be like they want, but to me as my partner I couldn’t fancy him *sorry*. Hence, it was also difficult for me to understand and to build up the connection. But Dani already had experience or had a similar past and so had less probably problems with it. At least it was turned and pointed out like that in the book.

A lot was very evident and not surprising at all, what I found a great pity. It was a 0815-plot in a not everyday love relationship. The idioms were all stereotyped and mostly I’ve waited only waited for the exact outcome, like I’ve foreseen it. It’s too bad that in my opinion she has broached this subject too superficial and inserted no new considerations.

Nice book which was written briefly and hence, it is to be read very quickly, but nevertheless no real recommendation from my side.

More Info about the book on my Blog:

Deutsche Rezension:
Es war nett, es war okay, aber leider auch nicht mehr. Dabei hatte ich mich wirklich darauf gefreut, aber es sollte wohl einfach nicht ganz für mich passen.

Zuerst hat mich der Schreibstil von Benefiel sehr irritiert und ich fand ihn abgehackt, wie auch durcheinander, zu verwirrend und es ging auch alles viel zu schnell. Nicht nur beim Schreiben, sondern auch bei der Entwicklung ihrer Freundschaft und dann ihrer Beziehung.

Die Figuren waren genauso. Nett aber auch nicht außergewöhnlich, sodass sie mich bewegt oder tiefgehend berührt hätten. Allesamt nur flach angeschnitten, kurz und bündig.
Auch dieses Geheimnis/ Problem von Liam war nicht wirklich etwas für mich, obwohl ich eigentlich ein toleranter Mensch bin, aber ich weiß nicht, ob ich mit dieser Situation hätte leben können, wenn ich seine Freundin wäre. Versteht mich nicht falsch, jeder kann leben und sein wie er will, aber als meinen Partner könnte ich ihn mir nicht vorstellen. Daher war es für mich auch schwer nachzuvollziehen und die Verbindung aufzubauen. Aber Dani hatte schon Erfahrung bzw. eine ähnliche Vergangenheit und hatte deswegen wahrscheinlich weniger Probleme damit. Zumindest wird es im Buch zu gedreht und darauf hingedeutet.
Vieles war sehr offensichtlich und nicht im Geringsten überraschend, was ich sehr schade fand. Eine 0815-Handlung in einer nicht alltäglichen Liebesbeziehung. Die Wendungen waren allesamt klischeehaft und man hat fast nur darauf gewartet, dass genau das passiert. Sehr schade, dass sie dieses Thema meiner Meinung nach so oberflächlich angekratzt hat und keine neuen Überlegungen einbaute.
Nettes Buch das kurz geschrieben wurde und daher rasch zu lesen ist, aber trotzdem keine richtige Leseempfehlung von mir.

Mehr Information zu dem Buch, findest du auf meinem Blog:
Displaying 1 - 30 of 183 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.