Start by marking “Discovering Statistics Using IBM SPSS Statistics” as Want to Read:
Discovering Statistics Using IBM SPSS Statistics

Discovering Statistics Using IBM SPSS Statistics

Unrivaled in the way it makes the teaching of statistics compelling and accessible to even the most anxious of students, the only statistics textbook you and your students will ever need just got better! Andy Field's comprehensive and bestselling Discovering Statistics Using SPSS 4th Edition takes students from introductory statistical concepts through very advanced ...more
Published January 24th 2013 by Sage Publications Ltd (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Discovering Statistics Using IBM SPSS Statistics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Discovering Statistics Using IBM SPSS Statistics

Start your review of Discovering Statistics Using IBM SPSS Statistics
Amanda
Jun 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
Even though this book makes SPSS seem relatively easy to learn, it's a pain to study. You follow Brian in his attempt to learn SPSS because some big-breasted woman called Jane only wishes to date guys who can 'do statistics'. At the end of every chapter the summary is transformed into this progress-status of how succesful Brian has gotten in wooing Jane with his new knowledge, until 'finally' in the last chapter Jane invites him to her place (and in the epilogue turns out to be a horrible human ...more
Lusine
Feb 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is hands down the most entertaining book on statistics ever. Yes, a book on statistics can be entertaining. It helped me a lot to pass an exam on statistics and is currently helping to do my own research. However, as it is always with methods, one book is never enough. This is a good and painless introduction into statistics for those who has had a very strong fear and avoiding strategy regarding statistics all their lives:) I also recommend watching Andy Fields online lectures, they are ...more
Siobhan
Dec 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
I’m fairly sure this item existed on my reading list solely to leave me banging my head against a desk.

I am not a twelve-year-old boy. I do not need penis jokes every other page to hold my attention. Honestly, this book would have been much more helpful had the author not had such a juvenile sense of humour. I admit, I am somewhat childish at times (more than somewhat, in fact) but even I found this to be too much.

Seriously, the way in which it is written prevented me from focusing upon the
Leanna Aker
Dec 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good, accessible intro to most statistics procedures using SPSS. At first, the silly goofy examples make you feel more comfortable, and after awhile, you'll start skipping over the junk and wishing it wasn't there. Overall, though, a great book for someone delving into doctoral level stats work.
Katherina [Book-o-Craze]
This book and a lot of YouTube tutorials videos paved the way for the end of my thesis. Without their combination, I would be pretty much lost the whole time. It wasn't easy, but together, they made some sense.
Julie
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you need to understand statistics, this is an excellent tool to use. There are some crass examples throughout, but the book is humorous (yes, I used the word humorous to describe a statistics textbook) and breaks things down very well. Obviously, you need to have access to the SPSS software (included with my textbook) which is also a very helpful tool for statistics. Both tools made learning stats so much easier!!
Mallika Karunan
Jan 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I never will be a fan of Statistics but Andy Fields has managed to make SPSS look like the easiest thing in the world. The equivalent of facing a ferocious dragon but really finding out that it's Mushu from Mulan. Plus, how can you go wrong with fifty thousand anecdotes about statistics when cats are involved?
Ebonnie
Nov 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is by far the best statistics text I have read when it comes to getting your head around new and unfamiliar concepts. Excellent starting point for most statistical analyses. I have used this book as a reference for my Psychology Honours year, my Masters by Research and my MSc in Applied Statistics.
Tey Shi
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great book for those learning statistics. Includes both theoretical understanding and how to use SPSS to get results out of raw data. Though he can be at times wordy and some of the jokes can be quite lame but this is probably one of the best statistics text around
Emma Christina
Dec 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
what a lifesaver and funny to boot. I have read this through so many times and would have been lost without it.
Michelle Tabor
Aug 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very helpful in making advanced Stats understandable in laymen terms
Sacha
Aug 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Quite accessible, even if you think Statistics is complicated. Sometimes the way of writing was a little exhausting, but overall it is a good textbook.
Nicole

Wasn't expecting to be entertained by a textbook about statistics but guess what? Yeah, I was pretty entertained.

I don't think it is the best book on statistics in the market but for someone who doesn't like statistics and you're kinda forced to read about it? This book could very well be your new friend.
Lucas Berghuis
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: brainfood
Best statistics book I've come across yet. Extremely helpful and sometimes even fun (I know, I didn't think it was possible before I read this book, too!). Helped me out during my studies and is currently my saving angel while I'm writing my thesis. Highly recommended if you're working with SPSS.
Ale ManRose
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maravilloso, cada página vale la pena

Me ha encantado estudiar estadística en este libro, ya que hace accesibles temas muy complicados. Felicidades y muchas gracias a Andy Field por esta gran obra.
Casper R
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
liked the film better
Daniel Cojocaru
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Useful and kinda fun to read. Great for beginners.
Donald Stephen
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The best statistics and SPSS guide and the most fun to read.
Britt
May 29, 2017 rated it liked it
The funny examples make it a bit easier to understand statistics
Naveera
AMAZING! ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC! the best statistics book out there that's simply written and hilarious to boot. Life-saving.
aprilholic
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The funniest autobiography with a stats book cover in disguise!
Anna Schoner
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent must read and reference book for anyone learning about statistics and using SPSS to run statistical analysis.
Jess Penhallow
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Best stats resource ever! Always my go to.
Lyndsey
It's super weird and kind of fun, but it's statistics, and I understood about 20% of the approximately 50% I read.
Dr Raspberry
Mar 20, 2018 rated it liked it
One of the best boos I have read on stats BUT way too wordy....
Anna
Feb 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Já věděla, že učebnice statistiky, která začíná citátem Radiohead, nemůže být tak zlá. A nebyla. Na druhou stranu - nejsem si jistá, jestli za to mohla faktoriální ANOVA, nebo fakt, že celá jedna kapitola byla plná penisů, které dělaly fakt děsivé věci, ale po několika stech stranách mi začalo připadat vtipné, strkat hlavu pod peřinu a předstírat, že jsem negativně zešikmené rozložení reziduí.

Učit se s tímhle statistiku nezvládnete bez občasného hysterického hihňání, ale odměnou vám možná bude,
Iris
Read Chapters 5, 8, 10 & 14
Jewel
Sep 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great and funny as all of Andy Field's books :D
Catherine
Nov 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Of all the textbooks I've had for Statistics, this was a pretty good one.
Jürgen Weimann
Aug 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The best book about statistics!

• Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association
  • The Lady Tasting Tea: How Statistics Revolutionized Science in the Twentieth Century
  • They Say / I Say: The Moves That Matter in Academic Writing
  • Applied Statistics: From Bivariate Through Multivariate Techniques
  • Psychotherapy Relationships That Work: Evidence-Based Responsiveness
  • 63 Easy-To-Crochet Pattern Stitches Combine to Make an Heirloom Afghan
  • Adolescent Psychotherapy Homework Planner (PracticePlanners)
  • IBM SPSS Statistics 23 Step by Step: A Simple Guide and Reference
  • QuickBooks 2016 For Dummies
  • Unified Protocol for Transdiagnostic Treatment of Emotional Disorders: Therapist Guide
  • Think: Public Relations
  • Statistical Methods for Psychology
  • Asking Questions: The Definitive Guide to Questionnaire Design -- For Market Research, Political Polls, and Social and Health Questionnaires
  • Diffusion of Innovations
  • The Design of Coffee: An Engineering Approach
  • Survey Methodology
  • Linear Algebra and Its Applications [with CD-ROM]
  • It Came from The Far Side
Andy Field is Professor of Child Psychopathology at the University of Sussex. He has published over 70 research papers, 27 book chapters, and 17 books mostly on child emotional development and statistics.

He is the founding editor of the Journal of Experimental Psychopathology and has been an associate editor and editorial board member for the British Journal of Mathematical and Statistical
“By comparing the confidence intervals of different means (or other parameters) we can get some idea about whether the means came from the same or different populations. FIGURE” 0 likes