Start by marking “Dot.” as Want to Read:
Dot.

Dot.

*NOW A HIT TV SERIES*

Meet Dot in this debut picture book by CEO and founder of Zuckerberg Media, editor-in-chief of Dot Complicated, and former Marketing Director of Facebook, Randi Zuckerberg!

Dot's a spunky little girl well versed in electronic devices—she’s a technophile. She knows how to tap . . . to swipe . . . to share . . . and she pays little attention to anything
Published November 5th 2013 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Dot., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dot.

Start your review of Dot.
Laura5
Jul 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
I like the clever turn around in this book using the same verbs for high-tech and no-tech activities.
A good title for Screen Free Week.

Use with Doug Unplugged or hello! hello!.
Feb 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: four-star
This was a very cute hard backed book about Dot, who loves to surf the Internet, tweet and share things online. She soon realises she can have just as much fun outside!

I think my five month old son is a bit too young to appreciate the message of the book, but I'm sure older children will understand!
Donalyn
Jul 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Dot loves her electronic devices, but a trip outside to play reminds Dot that she enjoys other activities, too. I loved the parallels between the verbs describing Dot's online and offline activities like "tapping" and "tweeting". ...more
Tara
Mar 14, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-to-the-boy
It seems this book has been reviewed by a lot of adults who haven't actually read it to children. There are a lot of "this book is a good reminder for children and adults" or "kids today . . ." This review is for someone who is looking to read this book to their child, not just as a novelty.

The best thing about this book are the illustrations. They are lovely and whimsical.
The second best thing about this book is the intention behind it. The message Ms. Zuckerberg wants to share is a good one.
T
Joshua Whiting
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Rating: ★★★½ (4 stars). Review posted on granitemedia.org: http://www.granitemedia.org/2014/01/dot/

Dot knows a lot.
She knows how to tap…
to touch…
to tweet…
to search…
and to talk.

A very simple and easy-to-read text tells the story of a young 21st Century digital native enthusiastically finding her way through both the digital and physical worlds. The illustrations bring the rich multiple meanings of these simple words to life, and show the value not only in being digitally connected and curious, b
Katt Hansen
Sep 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
Perfect! What a perfect way to capture today's child, and to also encourage playing the way we did when we were small. I would read this book over and over to any technologically savvy child just to remind them of the 'other' ways of doing things. Perfect illustrations and text form a thoroughly modern story. ...more
Christina Reid
Jul 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Very cute book to share with children and discuss the benefits of stepping away from your screen sometimes.
Margaret Chind
I had the opportunity to get my hands on an Art Not Final Advanced copy of Dot. and then later a real deal hardcover by social media expert Randi Zuckerberg and I am intrigued and overall delighted. AT first I was hesitant reading it as we do not really allow our littles into technology - no matter how cute or easily they pick it up. However, this book is adorably cute and the message is sound. Yes, learn and play with the tech, but then go unplug! Very modern and appropriate for this generation ...more
The Styling Librarian
Dot. by Randi Zuckerbert, illustrated by Joe Berger - like so many books that remind children that there’s more to life away from the screen, Dot does have this message. I thought it was special in an additional way, use of text and repetition in a really cute way. I know my students will enjoy talking about context and interpretation of words and additionally will compare this with numerous other beautiful books!
Elizabeth
Jul 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Perfection! Dot knows how to use electronic devices. Dot knows how to "reboot" by going outside. Dot is well-rounded. Wonderful! The same verbs are used when discussing Dot's use of electronic devices as the verbs used when describing Dot being in nature. I love this PARTICULARLY in light of our summer reading overall health theme, ON YOUR MARK, GET SET, READ! ...more
Karin
Nov 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely fabulous picture book on the balance between technology and real world experiences. Nicely done. I think most little ones out there are like DOT and need to be told to Reboot and Recharge outside.
Amanda
Dec 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: in-store-pb
I just don't get it. I mean, I guess it's about not letting your tech overrun your life? But other than the illustrations (which are lovely) I didn't see much of a point of this book.

However, I also don't see why someone would let a toddler play with their tablet, so....
Josh Jackson
Jul 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
A great little story about how one can be connected to the Net but still have fun going outside. Verbs are interchanged with each activity. This is a great book to make connections for younger students.
Kingan Lorri
Mar 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Fun juxtaposition of Dot learning to touch, swipe, tap, tweet in relation to technology and then kids playing outside, choosing to touch, swipe, tap, tweet, etc. Good read aloud. Good springboard for screens discussion.
Mary Lee
Oct 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013, fable
A fun fable about unplugging and getting connected to the real world. (no Jackass to complicate things this time)
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Oct 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book, 2013
Fun contrast between technology verbs and the use of the same verbs but without technology.
Edward Sullivan
Nov 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
There's a lot of kids and adults who can learn much from Dot's self-discovery. A great message wonderfully delivered in an appealing fable. ...more
Emma
Nov 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
simple vocabulary but a cute story with wordplay and bright illustrations that translate well to read aloud crowds. *might* be good for talking theme.
Pamela Hatch
Dot. / by Randi Zuckerberg; illustrated by Joe Berger -- New York : Harper, c2013. (32 pages) RANGE 3 -- PICTURE BOOKS

SUMMARY: Meet Dot! She's a spunky little girl obsessed with electronic devices. Dot knows a lot. She knows how to tap...to swipe...to share...and she pays little attention to anything else, until one day Dot sets off on an interactive adventure with the world surrounding her. (bookjacket)

REVIEW: I like to see a smart girl that is very smart. And this title is very timely as I see
Matthew
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a great idea! A book about a tech-savvy kid who still appreciates what goes on when she isn't using her many varied tech tools, but doesn't have to spurn the goodness of those tech devices to show her appreciation of the non-tech world. That's the message that books about over-saturation of technology should spread. Too often, books about tech and kids make tech seem like an all-consuming evil that makes kids bad citizens. This shows that there is a right amount of involvement in tech that ...more
Wendy Potter
Oct 30, 2017 rated it liked it
I think the idea of the book and the message it tries to transmit is very nice! I was trying to see if children will actually enjoy it and I am not very sure. I will have to try it with actual kids and see what their reactions would be. I do think it is nice how the books combines technology with the outside as entertainment for kids. The reality is there are many kids who are left with tablets as babysitters and these kids may get the message.
Andrea Gales
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved this story! It shows the type of world that children today are so fluent in, and connects it to a wonderful world of childhood fun outside of all of the electronic experiences. It made me remember so many amazing things about how I played as a child. I hope it is a story that will encourage children to seek fun outdoors, but the lure of electronics is so great. It would make a wonderful family time story.
Kalynda
Dot knows a great deal about technology and its various tools. She is an expert at searching, surfing, and swiping. After a gentle reminder (push) from her mom, to pause and get outside, Dot soon remembers how her expertise of searching, surfing, and swiping extend far beyond the tech world.
Diane
Dot is an expert with a device. She can swipe, surf, tweet and tag. Funny thing is, she can do those things outside, too, just without the device.

Another good addition to the digital citizenship library.
Elizabeth
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
A clever book that will help children understand that there is a time for tech and online chatting and a time to be outdoors with others face-to-face. The book does not look down on technology but instead invites us to make time for other things as well.
Lisa
Jan 24, 2020 rated it liked it
Dot spends SO much time on technology devices that she just gets wiped out. Mom has her “recharge” by going outside and getting fresh air, playing, and enjoying the company of friends. This book is geared toward younger children. It is great to launch discussions.
Julie Rowse
Dec 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020-reads
Another contender for a Pop Culture Studies addition, but I didn't like this one as much as Steve Antony's Unplugged. Similar theme of online fatigue and how the outdoors can "reboot" life a little bit, and the parallel language of what Dot can do online AND outside was clever. ...more
Leslie
A great parallel for our young digital natives...you can tap, tweet, share on a device and out in the world.
Mandy Robek
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So surprised I hadn't heard of this book! Empowering message for tech savvy kids and adults, balance. Clever illustrations to illustrate tech behaviors outside in nature. ...more
Jaime
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute book with a great message of putting down the electronics once in awhile. Illustrations were awesome!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Unplugged
  • Fry Bread: A Native American Family Story
  • The Next President: The Unexpected Beginnings and Unwritten Future of America’s Presidents
  • The Oldest Student: How Mary Walker Learned to Read
  • I Wish You More
  • The Proudest Blue: A Story of Hijab and Family
  • The Very Inappropriate Word
  • Tek: The Modern Cave Boy
Randi Zuckerberg is the founder and CEO of Zuckerberg Media, a digital and traditional media and production company, and Editor-in-Chief of Dot Complicated, an online community helping us navigate and “untangle” our wired, wonderful lives.

In November of 2013, Randi released her first books with HarperCollins, an adult non-fiction book also titled Dot Complicated, which addresses the multifaceted c

News & Interviews