Start by marking “The Sword of Sighs (The Age of the Flame, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Sword of Sighs (The Age of the Flame, #1)

The Sword of Sighs (The Age of the Flame #1)

3.31  ·  Rating details ·  320 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Sarah Bean lives a quiet life in Okeechobee, Florida until the day she is transported from our world to the fantastic realm of Seythe. She meets a wayfaring wizard called Ossen who saves her from the dreaded black riders, servants of a being known only as the Fallen One. Together, they will have to undertake a treacherous journey to the far-away Fellhorn mountain where Sar ...more
Published February 11th 2013 by Manderghast Press

To ask other readers questions about The Sword of Sighs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sword of Sighs

K.C.
Feb 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to receive an early copy of the Sword of Sighs. I have read Greg James’ other works (under the name G.R. Yeates) and I can honestly say this is my favorite book of his so far. It’s about a girl who finds herself worlds away from her Florida home. Slavery, kidnapping, death and a bit of love (thrown in for kicks) await her in this new world.

Sword of Sighs is very fast paced. Each chapter is packed with action and details that the reader could easily miss if not paying attentio
Beau Schemery
Jan 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
Oh, book. I'm glad I got you for free.

This book was a bit of a mess. One of the main characters is Gandalf. But he's not Gandalf. His name is Ossen and he only has one eye. But at one point Not-Gandalf PULLS HIMSELF UP TO HIS FULL HEIGHT AND SPEAKS IN A BOOMING VOICE AS THE AREA AROUND HIM SEEMS TO DARKEN. That's paraphrased. But it happens in the book.

There's a bad guy. He has a staff topped with a goat skull. It has curly horns. The bad guy has a hood. In the hood? A skull. Skeletor anyone?

T
Becca
um i got about 30% through i couldn't finish.
Either A) i am not feeling it right now
B) its was sort of confusing to say the least because
i) i thought she was already 16 at the beginning but apparently she wasn't
ii) time passage was like no big deal - three years on a different world that was not her own and hey no big deal...yeah no that is a big deal
iii) random ass POV shift
iv) references that arent being explained

Honestly? maybe i am just not in the mood for a super fantasy right now bu
Libby
Feb 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is wonderful. Greg does a great job of describing events and people but he also doesn't get the reader totally bogged down with useless details. When reading this book I found myself lost in my head as I followed the characters on their journey. Greg's writing style is one of my favorites. I look forward to the next adventure.
Elicia Cheah
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
You can also find this review at http://girlinthewoodsreviews.blogspot...

Detailed Review: Like people who judge a book by its cover, I judge a book in my own ways. I judge them by their first sentence, or if it's not sufficient, their first paragraph.

This book hit my mark just nice. You can judge for yourself if you want. Here's the first paragraph of the book:

The night winds droned low and bitter around the snow-crusted flanks of the lone-standing mountain known as Fellhorn. Its forbidding hei
Dianne
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Greg James has done it again. He's a phenomenal author who guarantees to take you on a journey. I've had the pleasure of reading his Vetala Cycle books under the pen name G.R. Yeates. His words create a poetic atmosphere that captures you and doesn't let go. He brings you in with such vivid imagery that as you read you see the world he creates playing in your mind like a movie.

The Sword of Sighs was such a book. From the cover of the book, to the synopsis, to the prologue, he grabbed a hold of m
Graeme Reynolds
Apr 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Sarah Bean is an average teenager who is plagued by dreams of her death at the hands of magical creatures in a mythical realm. When she tries to escape from a gang of bullies by hiding in an abandoned fun fair, she finds herself transported to another world. Isolated from everyone and everything she ever knew, Sarah must come to terms with her fate if she is to accept the strange destiny that is laid out before her.
I'll get right to the point. Sword of Sighs is one of the best Young Adult fantas
Misty Jo
Apr 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I am absolutely thrilled about this YA series by Greg James. I have been looking forward to reading the first book for a while, and the wait was well worth the creativity and imagination that James poured into the The Sword of Sighs for his readers. James is a master at storytelling, transferring his vivid images to his readers' minds in a beautiful, melodious style that is all his own.

In The Sword of Sighs, James begins his series by introducing Sarah, a teenager struggling through every day li
Ann
Mar 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Sword of Sighs is a young adult novel, which is not something I would normally read, but Greg James, who also writes horror as G.R. Yeates, is one of my favorite authors so I made an exception for this one. I am very glad that I did. The Sword of Sighs is a fantasy novel with well paced action and compelling characters. The story features Sarah, a young girl who is tormented by school bullies until she finds herself transported to another world where the bullies are much more menacing than t ...more
Alisa
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Greg James wrote a line in THE SWORD OF SIGHS that I think encapsulates the heart of this richly woven fantasy: “Strength is not merely proved by how much blood one has spilt, how many foes defeated, or how many battles won. Sometimes, living day-to-day, hour-to-hour, and minute-to-minute is a truer sign of one’s mettle.” Sarah Bean is a bullied teen. That alone is its own nightmare and the author conveys the fear, helplessness and horror of living with that day-to-day, hour-to-hour experience s ...more
Janet
Jul 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
This young adult fantasy novel is well . . . everything. Well-written, well-paced, well-edited, well-balanced (between dream states and reality, until you just aren't sure exactly where you are, and that's okay). At the ripe old age of 49, I don't easily follow some of the realms and names given in these types of novels, but James made it fun . . . I wondered what crazy thing was going to be around the next bend, and if it was real or imagined. It takes some special skill beyond being a good wri ...more
Kim
Jan 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Kept me reading into the night.

I was enthralled with Sarah Beans story,felt sympathy and was curious on how she would handle her new responsibility.....I hope she makes the right decision.
20131009-314
H

he is not a lot of fun and be able the government to do it for free and I don't want you
Meg
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
Awkward writing style; not worth it.
Jessica
Dec 15, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
The Sword of Sighs is a fantasy novel that I believe is geared toward young adults. It's your typical good vs. evil, unlikely hero destined to save the world and there is nothing wrong with that.

I couldn't, I just couldn't...

I hate abandoning books and rarely do but I just couldn't finish this one. The story had some great potential but there were a number of things that just got under my skin so much I couldn't get past it.

The first thing that bothered me was the short and frequent scenes. Wha
Liz
Mar 27, 2014 rated it liked it
I received notification of this free book through www.BookBub.com, and I’m happy I did. I think this is a nice introduction into the fantasy genre, for a mature young adult.

Sarah Bean is not the strongest character that I have met, especially in the beginning. She is a dreamer, and while not explicit, I think, a bit of a loner. All of this sets her up to be… you’ve got it… bullied.

After a specific act of aggression, from her bullies, Sarah wakes up in a different realm. And now, Sarah is going
Christine McIntosh
Feb 16, 2014 rated it liked it
This "book" was hit and miss for me. Most of the story was good. Concept was fine. Writing could be nice and pretty like I enjoy but mixed with the fun fantasy action. I mean, I liked most of it but it definitely wasn't amazing.

It had all the usual self-publish issues. The arrangement was messy. The writing was clunky and felt like a lot of thesaurus work. It really needed editing. It wasn't unreadable though like some of the other free Nook books. I'm very happy it was free since it doesn't ha
Lbousson
Jul 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
This is a first book in the series Age of Flames.

I was very hopeful that the book, that appeared to have a strong female protagonist in a fantasy situation, would fill my every fantasy need. And while it was a very good book in that regard, there were some trouble themes that emerged to take the shine off this story.

First, a little background. This is a story of an average teenage girl that suddenly finds herself transported to another world full of fantasy creatures. The journey she takes once
Clinton Seeber
Jun 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
An entertaining read with some skillful wordsmithing, great descriptions and vivid characters. It involves a heroine from modern day America called to save an alternate realm. In that regard, it is much like the Mordant's Need and Thomas Covenant books by Stephen R. Donaldson. It is on the shorter end for a novel length work.
This story is, however, somewhat flawed, or so I feel. I feel that way mostly about some of the flawed logic in the story arc. Also, it seems, at times, to try to send a soc
Ceeyena
Jan 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
Kinda really OK

Overall, I did enjoy the story that was told. However, getting through it proved annoying at times. The writing style switched between too much and too little detail at a time, it almost felt as if this were the abridged version and some key things were left out until later. Yet, it was easy enough to follow, and I did feel the need to finish it, rather than abandon the book out of frustration. I'm quite glad I did too.
I'd recommend this to those who enjoy fantasy and are patient
Annette Jones
Mar 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Intriguing

If you enjoy fantasy fiction, then this is right up your alley. Greg James has formed a tempestuous world where battles, bargains, and escape greet our young heroine. The story flowed throughout as we the readers make the trek with our heroine as she is whisked away from southern Florida to below the earth then various planes of worlds until reaching the world where she must save life itself. A wonderful light book for young adults and fantasy lovers everywhere. I look forward to the n
Alycia
Apr 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, my-kindle, a-l
I'm pretty sure I picked this one up for free, so the price was right. Not sure if I liked it well enough to bother getting a sequel. Plot was kind of thin. There were several points where it seemed that something was happening but it later turned out the protagonist was dreaming or having visions ... so I'm not sure if some character deaths actually happened or not. Basically at the end of the book I found myself going "what..?"
Leelo Loves-Books
Jan 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: meh, tried-and-failed
Not impressed by this story.

I got a sort of 'Lord of the Ring' vibe from it, so I was eager to keep reading. I kept comparing it to that book, its world, the stellar writing and found that The Sword of Sighs came up lacking.

Seriously.

At least for me.
Lindsay
Jan 25, 2015 rated it liked it
As this was a YA story, I thought it would be an easy read. However, I felt it lacked a lot of detail and it could have been so much better. It was also rushed in places; the ending in particular.

I have to agree with another reviewer as it was similar to Tolkiens work, but certainly on a simpler level. I do not plan to read the next in the series and would not recommend to buy.
Liza Goldberg
Feb 14, 2014 rated it liked it
I liked it, but it didn't excite me.
It switched from present to past frequently, to give background, and also from dream to reality. I'm not sure if it was just Kindle formatting, or poor editing, but sometimes these shifts were almost impossible to follow.
I am hoping the sequels will draw me in further.
Cat
Dec 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle-freebie
I just couldn't get in to this book! :(

Was it that didn't feel Sarah as a character? Was the narration (jumping back and forth) too confusing? Whatever it was, I didn't feel the story line. Add to that, the slow plot progress, I wasn't able to enjoy this book. Fantasy, a thought out world (actually, more than one world), and solid characters, though if you can get through it.
Bonnie
Dec 31, 2013 rated it it was ok
It was a little disjointed and I found myself confused, but I did keep reading until the end. I don't know that I liked it enough to get the next book; even though, that might resolve some of my confusion.
Sara
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good

The book was interesting,but there were times that were abrupt. It was a little awkward when this happens but not enough to dislike the book. It's like "Lord of the Rings" lite.
Victoria
Feb 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Was confusing in the beginning, but after the story got into full swing I finished it quickly. I think the story line could have been developed more. Will have to continue the series in the near future.
Gwen
Jul 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: its-freeeeee
What I think would be called a good solid ya fantasy. With the usual good vs evil, a young girl trying to find her way home and discovering more about herself and what she needs to do to survive blah,blah blah. Got it for free - would I buy it - nope.
  • The Dark Citadel (The Dark Citadel, #1)
  • An Oath of the Blood (Island Shifters, #1)
  • The God King (Heirs of the Fallen, #1)
  • Draykon (Draykon, #1)
  • Angel Fire (Fallen Angels, #1)
  • Child of the Ghosts (Ghosts, #1)
  • Lichgates (The Grimoire Saga, #1)
  • Defender (Sanctuary #1)
  • The Gatekeeper (The Marenon Chronicles, #2)
  • Dark Moonlighting (Dark Moonlighting, #1)
  • Darkspire Reaches
  • City of Blaze (The Fireblade Array, #1)
  • The Eye of Divinity (Knights, #1)
  • A Death Displaced (Lansin Island, #1)
  • A World Within
  • Storytellers
  • The Change (The Bachelor Battles, #1)
  • Dissever (Unbinding Fate, #1)
Greg James is a Fantasy author based in London, England. He has been writing stories since he was a child and still maintains that his pre-adolescent adaptations of The Wizard of Oz featuring Godzilla and the Transformers have validity.
He enjoys long walks around his home city of London as well as reading, writing (of course) and thinking up new imaginary worlds to entertain readers with.

You can
More about Greg James...

The Age of the Flame (3 books)
  • The Sceptre of Storms (The Age of the Flame: Book Two)
  • The Stone of Sorrows (The Age of the Flame: Book Three)

“Strength is not merely proved by how much blood one has spilt, how many foes defeated, or how many battles won. Sometimes, living day-to-day, hour-to-hour, and minute-to-minute is a truer sign of one’s mettle. The ticking of the clock and the passage of time wear away courage more surely than any mortal blade might do—” 1 likes