Start by marking “Singularity” as Want to Read:
Singularity

Singularity

BCA Special Agent Sullivan Shale has seen his share of violence and death. He's become weathered and haunted by the harsh reality of his career yet continues on despite a crippling personal loss. But when one of the largest penitentiaries in Minnesota calls requesting an investigation into an inmate's brutal death, even his expertise is pushed to the limit.

Singleton Penite
Paperback, 1, 210 pages
Published January 29th 2013 by Black Spine Books

To ask other readers questions about Singularity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Singularity

Courtney
May 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Joe Hart, where have you been my whole life? Another suspenseful novel with some major creeps and crawls. This one was more of a "traditional" horror novel (as much as you can call such crazy ideas traditional) versus the psychological horror bent in Lineage. I don't want to give anything away, but suffice it to say this novel starts off with a bang and keeps going, relentlessly pounding like the ever-present rain that plays a role in the story. Very scary, especially one particular part in a fl ...more
Natasa
Mar 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book, the more that I had no idea what it was about when I grabbed to read it (it landed in my hands because my tablet battery was dead and I thought, hey, I haven't read from my Kindle in ages and this was the second book from the top, I guess at some point in the past I thought it might be worthwhile checking it out).

I just saw the cover, a pair of hands gripping prison bars (fence) and the name 'Singularity', so I thought, why not?

What a surprise! Almost half of the book read tota
Teresa
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book held my interest with it’s creepy, unsettling vibe, that is until the ending. I had a hard time connecting with the last few chapters. I had no clue what to expect since this is the first book I have read by this author. It is a traditional horror novel, in my opinion, and I discovered while reading the book that I am more of a psychological suspense fan than a fan of creature horror. I enjoy my demons, ghosts, human monsters and serial killers more than strange other world monsters.

T
Sheri
Feb 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Singularity (Joe Hart)

Singleton Penitentiary, in Minnesota houses criminals, but not of the ordinary kind. Agent Sullivan Shale has been called on a case that is very odd. An inmate in Solitary has been brutally murdered. He is very perplexed as it appears there is no way in or out of the solitary cell.

Shale digs deeper and realizes that the prison just doesn't "feel" right. The prisoners are all very quiet, no yelling, screaming, fighting among the inmates. He starts to uncover unimaginable sec
heather
May 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-ebooks, freebies
I must say that I really enjoyed this book. It was an easy read that I looked forward to returning to each time I found myself free to read. It was not a “can’t put it down” kind of book, but it was very well written and just imaginative enough to keep me coming back. It turned out to be a perfect read for a busy time as I WAS able to put it down when I needed to, but was interested enough in it to pick it back up at every opportunity. I would very much like to see a sequel to this book, and I w ...more
Nev Murray
Nov 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
You can tell Joe Hart is heavily influenced by Stephen King. This book was really well written and very enjoyable until it started to build to the end and what I call the "plastic monster" that you would see in a bad B movie came out and spoiled it all......for me anyway.
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
May 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
With so many horror films and books it is hard to feel much when you read something which is supposed to scare you. This book has quite a few scary and creepy moments.
Sullivan Shale, a cop on a mandatory leave, was quickly reinstated and called to check a death at Singleton Penitentiary. A victim was torn apart in a solitary cell. When Sullivan and his colleague went there they found the road has been flooded for a week, but they managed to get to the facility by boat. Since the victim was an in
Karrie Bray
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
OMG!! I could not put this book down! It has so much action and is so well written. Joe Hart is a master at bringing you into the story that you feel like you are running right alongside Sully. If you are a horror fan then you need to read this book. I just hope I don't h....ave nightmares.
Brian Gore
May 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Far better than I ever expected.
David Vinther
Feb 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, first-reads
Firstreads win. Hope this one is good, and I'm looking forward to getting into it.
brianna
I liked Obscura by Hart far better than Singularity (for real, I LOVED Obscura), but still enjoyed this. It stuck to a formula, and would likely be a great movie if it were to be adapted, but overall while I enjoyed it, my mind wasn't blown.

(spoilers incoming)
My main issue is that a low-calibre handgun would stand an extremely little chance in actually killing a large, insect-like predator, who presumably had an exoskeleton. I know he shot her in the mouth/eye area but still, I wasn't buying
Susie Mann
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read!

Once again Joe Hart does not disappoint in this book. His characters are likeable, or unlikable if they are the villain, the storyline is fast moving and keeps you interested. I definitely recommend this book.
Rose
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

I couldn't put the book down, finished in an afternoon.
Can hardly wait till your next book,
Thanks for a great read.
Ari
Mar 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: weird-stories
Originally, I was just going to give this book 2 stars but I decided that wasn't fair because they were components of the book I enjoyed. The major issue I had with the book was that I just could not relate to the main character. I found him pretty one sided and cliche: his wife is dead, his partner is missing, etc. I also found some of the action sequences a little rough to read. However, the mystery did keep my interest enough to finish the book. I was able to get behind Sullivan Shale towards ...more
Jo
Enjoyable, fast paced sci-fi gripper that reads like a movie in your head.
Is the formula familiar? Yes.
Is the familiar formula successful? Yes.
Does the author take the successful familiar formula, make it his and run with it? Absolutely flat-out.
Would a sequel be nice? Yep!
Lucinda Wipf
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great book by Joe Hart. He captivates me with his writing. I find myself wanting to get back to finish every time I need to go.
Maggie Reed
May 12, 2013 rated it did not like it
The reason I didn't like this book had nothing to do with the book itself. It had everything to do with my personal taste as far as the material is concerned. Beyond depressing, it was very predictable for me, and I don't like that. As far as "creepy" is concerned, it really wasn't for me. There weren't twists and turns to this book that I prefer in this type of book I'm reading. Disappointing to me was the author's approach to women, and I found it a little misogynistic. That's me, of course. S ...more
Randy Evans
Jul 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A old prison cut off from the rest of the world by a mega storm that has flooded everything around the prison and knocked out cell towers and landlines phones. The only link left is a small boat which becomes disabled shortly after two special agents arrive to investigate the brutal murder of a inmate. Yeah, this kinda sounds like a place you do not want to be. But hang on, things are just starting to get really strange when one of the special agents disappears. Special Agent Sullivan Shale must ...more
Donna
Dec 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
I quite enjoyed this one. I've read some of the reviews with one and two stars, and I must say I don't understand the problem these readers had with the story. You can't read the blurb for this book and then complain about things getting weird. And if you've read Joe Hart before and don't expect weird, then you weren't paying attention.
I believe this is the second of Joe's books that I've read. I finished it yesterday afternoon, and last night I started another of his books: Lineage. It's not of
Addey
May 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Joe Hart has a way with words. It's always lovely to think about being immortalized as a character by your favorite author. However, Joe's characters never catch a break.
Looking for romance? Keep scrolling. Looking for an uplifting story of perseverance? Move along. Dislike bugs? Not for you. Scared of prisons? Buhbye.

A riveting read that leaves one to ponder about a sequel.
Michelle
May 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a very quick read. I did not know what the premise was behind the book when I started it. It started out as a cop story, so I was thinking some kind of murder/mystery kind of thing. Then, things got weird. It is some alien/murder/cop/mystery story. Overall, I thought it was pretty good. The writing on the gory stuff was descriptive enough to make me see it in my head.
Leann
Jun 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Not my usual fare (I don't even have a Goodreads shelf this fits on), but I liked it nonetheless. Some other reviews say this is a traditional horror book, but I never felt any scares, just very creepy settings and a lot of suspense. I liked the last chapter, though I can't really talk about it without spoilers, except to say that it fit the rest of the story.
Amber Adamchuk
May 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Not my favorite Joe Hart book. Some are calling it classic horror...I would say more Sifi Suspense then Horror. At one point I started to wonder if this was going to go the way of Shutter Island, then it went more Alien. It was a good book, if you like suspense/horror/sifi/Joe Hart.
Sharon
Jul 16, 2013 rated it liked it
interesting. took me ages to get into the story. which I did about one third of the way through. totally unbelievable, but enjoyed reading. wouldn't say it was a horror story. more a crime novel with a bit of science fiction/fantasy included.
Ron Bradley
Mar 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Creepy good

I didn't want to put the book down. Once I got the gist of where this story was heading, I wasn't sure I could finish it. Curiosity got the best of me.
I certainly will be careful going under ground,anywhere.
Anita Henderson
Nov 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read! Carries you away just like the waters in the storm! I couldn't put it down! On to the next Hart book!

Excellent! I was caught up in the tale. I couldn't stop reading! Scary! I am a huge fan! On to my next Hart book!
Teresa Hall
Aug 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I've read in a long time.

This book was superbly written with well developed characters. There are plenty of twists and turns that will keep you on the edge of your seat. A good read for science fiction lovers.
Michelle B
I liked this book, but it didn't wow me. The plot was interesting, but it seemed to take a long time to get past the basic crime drama setup. It would also benefit from some more thorough editing to fix some grammar errors and thesaurus abuse. But all that aside, it was a good story.
Beth
Nov 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
Fast read, pretty good. I read Heart Shaped Box by him which was much, much better.
Tricia Lewis
Nov 24, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Stupid. Don't bother.

So disappointing. All I wasted was time since I read or really flipped through this ridiculous story and boring characters.

• The Wildman
  • Dark Curtains
  • The Evil from Above
  • The King of Terrors
  • Inheritance
  • King's X (King's X, #1-3)
  • The Northern Star: The Beginning
  • Moonstruck (High Moor, #2)
  • K.A.R.M.A
  • Alleinstehender Psychopath sucht Gleichgesinnte (Andrew Mayham, #2)
  • Martyrs and Monsters
  • The Graveyard Speaks
  • Where Darkness Dwells
  • Mind Trace
  • Staked (Time Brokers, #1)
  • The Lovecraft Compendium
  • Gated
  • Caught on Film: An American Nightmare
“Sullivan could hear drops of water snapping from leaf to leaf as it made its way to the ground, searching for a river or stream that would eventually carry it back to its mother sea.” 0 likes
“Off to the right the cleared yard fell away, and Sullivan could make out a drive of sorts, or what he assumed was a drive.” 0 likes