Start by marking “Sometimes You Win--Sometimes You Learn: Life's Greatest Lessons Are Gained from Our Losses” as Want to Read:

John Maxwell believes that the greatest lessons we learn in life are from our losses. Everyone experiences loss, but not everyone learns from it. In Sometimes You Win--Sometimes You Learn, Dr. Maxwell explores the most common lessons we learn when we experience loss. He then explains how to turn a set-back into a step forward by examining the eleven elements that make up t ...more
Published October 8th 2013 by Center Street (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Sometimes You Win--Sometimes You Learn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sometimes You Win--Sometimes You Learn

Start your review of Sometimes You Win--Sometimes You Learn: Life's Greatest Lessons Are Gained from Our Losses
The Book Man
Sep 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If you have experienced failure and it still holds onto you, then this book is for YOU! :)

I would like to share some of my favorite notes I took while reading,

~ “How does a humble person learn from mistakes? By pausing and reflecting. I strongly believe that experience isn’t the best teacher; evaluated experience is.”
~ “Wisely humble people are never afraid to admit they were wrong. When they do it’s like saying they’re wiser today than they were yesterday.”
~ “Responsibility is the most importa
Farshad Asl
Jun 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I truly enjoyed this book. You always can go from " failure" to success but you never can go from "excuses" to success.
It's a great book and John is sharing what he has learned from his own and other people's mistakes. I love the book...I would recommend!
Denise Morse
Oct 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
This book couldn’t have come at a better time for me. I was dealing with a difficult work situation and getting very angry and reading this book helped put it all into perspective. Life isnt easy but it can be better and more fulfilling if you look at negatives as a way to learn and grow. It is all about perspective and looking forwards to self improvement.

From the opening beautiful into by the late John Wooden through the amazingly inspirational quotes sprinkled throughout, John C. Maxwell doe
Laura Thompson
Sep 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
While there were some great nuggets in this book, there is nothing new or original. In fact, the author spends most of his time quoting others. The title could be "Everything Everyone Else Said About Learning".
Tamara Milanovic
May 13, 2019 rated it liked it
As always very practical and very encouraging book on self-development and self-growth. I read it as a part of Master Mind class. The whole experience was something new and interesting for me and it really pushed me to be more intentional in learning and developing throught life. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to be encouraged when going through loses; to anyone who wants to keep working on themself; to anyone who needs a motivation to turn loses into succsesses. Great and easy ...more
Alexandra
2/18/18 $1.99 for Kindle.
Gh .
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thank u Dr.Rana
Mark Fallon
Mar 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Reading a book by Maxwell is like panning for gold - you have to go through a lot of sand and mud to find a few nuggets. A few are worth the hunt.
Jonathan
May 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some books are good, others are great!

I pretty much underlined the whole book.
The hardest part is applying it.
I hope I can learn from my mistakes!
Bill Donhiser
Jan 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Another great book by John Maxwell. I am impressed by this author with every new book he writes. Easy to read full of easy to understand information. It is a great resource for those of us who have to lead and any one who wishes to be a leader
Debbie
Sep 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Lots of positive advice and practical suggestions for learning everyday. Filled with several humorous and touching antidotes about real people. The ultimate learning experience is evaluating and proceeding forward with a flexible plan. The title was attention - getting for me.
Beverly
Mar 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Learned alot with this book.
Dan Albrecht
Jun 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Short, simple, profound, phenomenal. If you have experienced failure and it still holds onto you, read this. This book is the one. And it's funny!
Jad Dizon
Life Changing Read! :D
Travis
Another Impact Theory reading list book.

I've never read John C. Maxwell, but apparently he's written over 70 books on leadership (and he lets you know that!). Given his long history with the subject, he is full of research and quotes and insights... from other people. There's nothing wrong with synthesizing information, especially nowadays in our world of information overload. As Tony Robbins said, "We're drowning in information, but we're starving for wisdom" (Tony is no stranger to using ideas
Melissa
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book was full of cliches. At times I was like hey did this dude sit down at my last training for work and takes notes cause the stuff he was presenting in this book is super similar.

Add to that that he relies a lot on quotes from others (who often say his point better than he does) and it's like right all of this has been said before.

Not to give him no credit at times the information is presented in an interesting way. And there are some useful things in here. But overall this is nothing
Tuba
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's one of the best books I've ever read. I like it and I definitely recommend it to every person who wants to improve his/her self. But there are 2 things which I didn't like about:

1 - It's somehow too long so I couldn't read it day after day so after I finished reading almost half of it, I started another book then I returned back to it and continued reading ^^
2 - In 2 chapters of it the author used MUCH MUCH of quotes so that made me feel bored.

IT'S APPROPRIATE FOR ENGLISH LEARNERS SPECIAL
Jellian
Apr 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book that I’ve read from this author, Sir John Maxwell. There’s a pang of regret on my part, why I only started reading his works now. I am fully grateful for the inspiration and hope that this book has given me. It is good and relieving to know that successful people also make numerous mistakes and stupidities. However, what set them apart from ordinary people is how they deal with them.

One of my favorite quotes from the book is this: “We need to expect mistakes, failures, an
Lisa
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is my first John Maxwell book and it's like having an educational chat with your kindly, older pastor, experienced in psychology and humanity. The message of the book is in the title. Maxwell outlines 11 traits that successful people develop to learn from their mistakes and losses to create a successful life. The text is liberally sprinkled with quotes and stories and his outline is clear and easy to follow. Worth the read, though not destined to be a classic in the personal growth genre.
Jane Paula
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
The common theme of this book is the value of learning. We all experience losses and failures, but not all of us harness the lessons from such experiences. John Maxwell reminds us of the value of actively seeking the lessons from everyone of such experiences. By seeking to learn continually, we grow, and by growing, recovering from our losses and, eventually winning, is inevitable.
I was inspired very much with the many wise quotes on the subject of learning throughout the book. Its a great read
Shirin
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"Optimism is the belief that things will get better. Hope is the faith that, together we can make things better. Optimism is a passive virtue, hope an active one. It takes no courage to be an optimist, but it takes a great deal of courage to have hope."_
This is only one of the many inspirational quotes in Maxwell's book that deeply touches the soul.
Highly recommended for anyone facing hardships in career, life etc. and needs positive mentoring.
Toby Brennen
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
John Maxwell in “Sometimes You Win, Sometimes You Learn” presents the case that our learning comes from our failures and to be successful we need to be able to learn from our mistakes. Filled with every ‘positivity quote’ that I’ve heard over the past 15 years, it is uplifting, thought provoking and motivational. Although an easy read, I found the style stiff and formal - like I was reading a puffed up outline.
Alexander Rivas
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-books-read
I enjoyed the theory behind this book because it turns hard moments into something of great value. We all experience failure, but it is essential to learn from the failures, which in most cases is more valuable than winning. All the case studies that support his theory are fascinating, and most of the advice is practical enough to apply in most failures we all experience. As a father, this is a strategy that I'll teach my kids and use myself.
Darshan
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Standard" self improvement maxims but sometimes that's all you need. There's a reason John is such a well respected figure in the area of leadership - the way he elucidates his ideas is easy to digest and makes you want to keep reading. The many quotes and personal and historical anecdotes breakup the would be monotony. Definitely a fantastic read that I would recommend to anyone willing to work on themselves.
CinderBelle615
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book could not have come at a better time for me this year. Maybe I'm being biased with the 5 star rating, I will have to read it again next year to see if my rating changes from 5 star to 4, or even 3 star ratings but overall it wasn't a dull read. The author provided what you really need when you are in this current mood, humor. He provided good humor accompanied by uplifting words that make you reconsider looking at a "failed situation" with a different perspective.
Maxim
Jun 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn from citations.

The book exploits Authority Bias at large scale. The amount of citations is overwhelming and [unnecessary and egoistically] skewed towards the American culture.

Another downside is the repetitiveness: the book could be rephrased in 10 pages without losing any lesson.

On the upside, it makes a lot of sense and brings a lot of valuable information; you just need to be ready to plow through the redundancy.
Sandra
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was the first that began my appreciation for John Maxwell's encouraging style of writing. Very easy to read and very motivational. He tells lots of stories and helps you to realize life is full of ups and downs. It is what we do with them that makes our life move forward or stay in one place.
Joshua Lawson
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Maxwell pulls together a lot of inspirational material in this book to show that failure is an inescapable part of life and the only legitimate path to success. How long it takes to find our way on that path ultimately depends on the attitude we take toward failure--in other words, on how we choose to deal with it.
Barnabas
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help
Maxwell's solid tips how to learn from the failures and hard situations in life.
With 12 areas for improvement (from facing reality, through being humble, to overcome hardships) he outlines how to pick ourselves up and move on.
His usual easy to read style, funny quotes and deep thoughts this is a solid book for self improvement, and even to re-read.
Murasakii
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you are really open to this book you will find insights in things you thought you knew about and in stuff maybe you really haven't thought about. The importance of knowing that losing is vital for our growth in this age that if you lose you feel like nothing because everyone else is "winning", this is an empowering message learn from every mistake and really learn from it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Atitudinea este totul
  • Linchpin: Are You Indispensable?
  • Relentless: From Good to Great to Unstoppable
  • Alekzandre (Alekzandre #1)
  • Alekzandre (Alekzandre #2)
  • Tu ai iubi un om ca tine?
  • Change Your Thinking, Change Your Life: How to Unlock Your Full Potential for Success and Achievement
  • Fluturi Vol. 1
  • Trăiește autentic
  • Focus: The Hidden Driver of Excellence
  • De vorbă cu Emma
  • Ion
John C. Maxwell is an internationally recognized leadership expert, speaker, and author who has sold over 16 million books. His organizations have trained more than 2 million leaders worldwide. Dr. Maxwell is the founder of EQUIP and INJOY Stewardship Services. Every year he speaks to Fortune 500 companies, international government leaders, and audiences as diverse as the United States Military Ac ...more

News & Interviews

“I always try to remember that I am a work in progress. When I maintain that perspective, I realize that I don’t have to be perfect. I don’t have to have it all together. I don’t need to try to have all the answers. And I don’t need to learn everything in a day. When I make a mistake, it’s not because I’m a failure or worthless. I just didn’t do something right because I still haven’t improved enough in some part of the process. And that motivates me to keep growing and improving. If I don’t know something, it’s an opportunity to try to improve in a new area.” 15 likes
“Those things that hurt, instruct.” —Benjamin Franklin” 3 likes