Start by marking “Open: How Compaq Ended IBM's PC Domination and Helped Invent Modern Computing” as Want to Read:
Open: How Compaq Ended IBM's PC Domination and Helped Invent Modern Computing

Open: How Compaq Ended IBM's PC Domination and Helped Invent Modern Computing

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  114 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
The story of Compaq is well-known: Three ex-Texas Instruments managers founded Compaq with modest venture funding. Just four years later, Compaq was on the Fortune 500 list, and, two years after that, they had exceeded $1 billion in annual revenue. No company had ever achieved these milestones so rapidly.

But few know the story behind the story. In 1982, when Compaq was fou
Published October 15th 2013 by BenBella Books (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Open, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Open

Husnain Bajwa
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Rod Canion could have easily written a self-absorbed personal memoir in the style of many great and former CEOs, but instead he wrote a fast-paced and deeply educational manual that should be required reading for any aspiring technology executive. Cover to cover, the book is packed with thoughtful ideas on competition, risk, capital management, engineering, sales, and marketing, but the central theme is always clear and in focus: industry standards and open architectures can promote fairer marke ...more
Jamey Maze
Jan 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good history of the IBM PC compatible industry.
Ryan Knopp
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I didn't realize how much influence Compaq had early on in the computer industry. I also was surprised Microsoft had it's own Unix version for a while.
Troy Blackford
Jul 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
I thought I'd give this a whirl because I was interested in the story of how 'IBM-clone' or 'IBM-compatible' third-party PC's began. As I started it, I was a little apprehensive: for whatever reason, I didn't realize that it was written by one of the founders of Compaq, the first CEO, until I started. I worried I wouldn't get an unbiased description of what happened. I needn't have worried: Mr. Canion was in a much better position to describe the events and planning that took place in the histor ...more
Dan Herman
Aug 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
An interesting if one-sided look at how the personal computer industry developed during the 80s. Canion's obviously knowledgable — as founder and CEO of Compaq, his company led the charge against IBM's various attempted machinations to control the computer industry. There's more than a bit of rose-tinted hue around this tome (literally only one "bad decision" is ever discussed, hesitantly at that, and ultimately turns into a big company-rousing win anyway), but it's an interesting part of comput ...more
Kevin Jennings
Oct 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Interesting book about the birth of the PC clone era of computer. I found the author's style a bit stuffy but the information in it was worth it. The most interesting tidbit was that Compaq actually licensed back to Microsoft a versions of DOS that could be run on non IBM clones. Kind of crazy to think about it really.
David Brown
Sep 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a fun read. I got to reminisce over history and gained new insights. Just remember that the telling was a bit self serving. But it was very inspiring. It made me start looking for the next Rod Canion, a visionary determined to change the world for the better.
Michael
Dec 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A quick but interesting read, and Compaq definitely led the personal computer revolution. I literally read the book in one sitting!
Craig Corbin
Apr 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent story about the early PC days....

I wish rod would write a post Windows 8 update. Would be interesting to hear his opinion on wether they got it right...
Paul
Oct 21, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a workable, engineer's account of how the PC architecture ended up open (public). He left out a few juicy details, such as the presence of Ken Lay on the Compaq board.
Alanmoorenz
Aug 17, 2014 rated it did not like it
Dull - should have guessed? :-)
Charles Delingpole
Jun 15, 2018
Joel
Oct 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Code Name Ginger: The Story Behind Segway and Dean Kamen's Quest to Invent a New World
  • Untangling the Web: What the Internet is Doing to you
  • The Mercenary: A Novel
  • The Russian Civil War
  • The Life of Christ
  • The Medieval World
  • The Skeptic's Guide to American History
  • Programmers at Work: Interviews With 19 Programmers Who Shaped the Computer Industry (Tempus)
  • The Nature And Art Of Workmanship (Design Handbooks)
  • The Uses of Disorder: Personal Identity and City Life
  • Show Stopper!: The Breakneck Race to Create Windows NT and the Next Generation at Microsoft
  • Seize the Daylight: The Curious and Contentious Story of Daylight Saving Time
  • How Round Is Your Circle?: Where Engineering and Mathematics Meet
  • Made in Bionia
  • The Four Laws of Debt Free Prosperity: The Chequemate Story
  • One Nation Under Contract: The Outsourcing of American Power and the Future of Foreign Policy
  • All the Money in the World: How the Forbes 400 Make--and Spend--Their Fortunes
  • A Piece of the Action: How the Middle Class Joined the Money Class

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99