Start by marking “Life Code: The New Rules For Winning in the Real World” as Want to Read:
Life Code: The New Rules For Winning in the Real World

Life Code: The New Rules For Winning in the Real World

The rules for living in the real world have changed, because the world we live in has changed. Much of the conventional wisdom the last generation has passed on just doesn’t apply like it once did. If you want to win, and win big, and, more importantly, keep what you work so hard for, you need a crystal-clear view of how the real world works — not how you wish it worked, b ...more
Hardcover, First, 244 pages
Published February 12th 2013 by Bird Street Books (first published January 1st 2012)

Lucille Zimmerman
Nov 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I saw Dr. Phil promoting his new book Life Code on FOX News last week. He said he wrote the book because he wanted to warn his granddaughters about the real evils in the world, and he wanted to give them life strategies for success and happiness.

I agree with another reviewer who said Dr. Phil spent too much time in the first chapter, telling you what he was going to teach you. I wanted to dive in; I was frustrated to get to the good stuff, but once the book got rolling, it had me in its grip.

In
Jason Holloway
Dec 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book. I have been reading books on success and life strategies for years. This by far tops them all. Dr. Phil did a great job of simplifying these concepts so that anyone, regardless of education, can really benefit from reading it. It is a "in your face" type of book that throws away all the conventional wisdom about life, parenting, etc., and gives readers a dose of reality. This book may have just changed my life. If you are a fan of Dr. Phil's brand of wisdom this book is for ...more
Maggie Boyd
Sep 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013, 2013-nonfiction
A friend recommended this book. It is my first read by Dr. Phil and will probably be my last. It shuffles up old advice that we have all heard before - such as you can't achieve goals till you make goals, have a clear action plan etc. - and offers up some new information on people he calls BAITERS. They are backstabbers, abusers, imposters, takers, exploiters, reckless. I wonder how long it took his team to think up that cute acronym? Anyway, BAITERS are described as soulless monsters with no re ...more
JoAnne
Jul 04, 2013 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
I came away with the impression that Dr. Phil either thinks that Americans are stupid, or that they simply cannot think for themselves. My bet is he didn't count on any Canadians reading it. He comes across as very arrogant, and is so narcissistic that he cannot even see that he is describing himself. One passage that I remember where he says he does not judge people before he gets to know them, but then the scene in the casino, his opinion that he is not surprised the guys wife thinks he is a n ...more
Rob Slaven
Mar 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As I’ve said already several dozen times, I received this book via the courtesy of a GoodReads drawing. Despite that repetitious and kind consideration, I give my unfiltered feedback below.

To further the probably unnecessary preamble, I feel it relevant to note that I’m not at all the self-help Dr. Phil type. I don’t typically subscribe to the sea of “fix your life” books that are available. This isn’t, of course, because my life is perfect but I estimate that the ways in which it is imperfect a
Elizabeth Meadows
Well, this is my first exposure to Dr. Phil (I don't watch much TV), and I must say I concluded I was listening to an extremely competitive salesman whose head always rules his heart. I, too, look at the world rationally, yet my life is not filled with competition. There is, indeed, SOME competition in my daily life, but MOST of my life is a cooperative venture, and I believe the culture is shifting more in that direction every day.

_Life Code_ left me with a bad taste in my mouth. I do believe,
D.
May 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
I was disappointed in this book. The first part was ok, defining toxic people for us. However, I was disappointed that Dr. Phil didn't make an effort to teach how to distance ourselves from those persons if we already have them in our lives. I imagine he doesn't have any problem doing that but there are others who would like an exit strategy spelled out.

The second half of the book was if he was writing a completely different book. In my opinion, he was teaching all of us how to become a clone o
Heather
Sep 09, 2014 rated it did not like it
Typically this is not a book I would read. Since an acquaintance lent it to me (and highly recommended it) I gave it a chance. I didn't even get 1/4th of the way through before I determined it was a waste of my time.

Is Dr. Phil trying to "BAIT" his readers into continuing to read this book by implying that those that don't are average, below the bell curve kinds of people? ".....If you want to be average; if you want to sit in the middle of the bell curve and "receive" rather than "create" what
Nancy Parish
Apr 03, 2013 rated it liked it
This is an excellent book. For most people, I'd give it a 5. However, as a mental health professional, it was what we all know already. I enjoyed reading his process of getting to the organization of his ideas. I am a reality therapist much like Dr. Phil. I don't believe I Jung's caring approach to helping people. In this world, people need to hear the truth. Now, I want my children to read it. They will "hear" things better from others than they do from Mom. They still think Mom is just interfe ...more
Karly H
Dec 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Amazingly honest book about how the real world functions today and how to succeed in it. Really opens your eyes to the people you surround yourself with and how to avoid being taken advantage of, while giving you the tools that'll help you get ahead. Sometimes it's hard to read self-help books, but this is a very easy read as if Dr. Phil is speaking directly to you.

Merged review:

Felix Bast
Apr 09, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: self-help
Poor Poor poor. I've just completed Philip's this new book (audio book version from iTunes store) and it's full of negative thoughts! Descriptions of a hundred types of dubious personalities, plain text illustrations of heinous crimes what criminals do, and advising you to stay away from bad people. From page 1 to the last the author is trying to generalize group of "bad people" but in reality and as I strongly believe, you just can't categorize certain people as evil; good or bad are people's d ...more
Jenny Maloney
I don't normally do the self-help books, but I saw Dr. Phil list the "Sweet Sixteen" -- the skill set that winners have -- on one of his shows. And that's basically why I picked this up. On the show Dr. Phil said something that resonated heavily with me, and it's so simple on it's surface: Winners deal with the truth.

That translates to so many things:
You can't make money if you're not even willing to look at your bank statement. You're not going to get a promotion if you don't understand how yo
Sandee
Nov 03, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ereader
I am very disappointed. I have been avoiding the medias need to tell us the worst of news because I am certain that it is all part of making a buck. Humans are happy to pay for bad news or horrifying stories about the worst of humanity. We see documentaries filled with examples of the worst of us to make a point but also to make money. I don't feel the need to put my body through the hormonal changes of the fight or flight response to these horrible stories when fighting or fleeing don't provide ...more
Karen
Feb 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dr. Phil as usual phrases and explains his life lessons clearly and simply. Very different type of book for him. He tries to give you signs and identification tools to identify friends, relatives and everyone else that may not have you and your families' best interests at heart. He also instructs you how to use these tools not to change your persona but to guard against invasive people who are harmful. I loved this book and keep it on a shelf next to my bed for reference. Vulnerable people every ...more
Doug Stutzman
Jan 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Dr. Phil shares his prospective of trust in today's world. He gives you traits of untrustworthy people and the games they play. He helps you know who you really are and that builds a lot of confidence. More to come!!!
Kathrynn
Thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and plan to have my kids read it, too. Good advice. A lot I've figured out on my own over the years, but good to have it repeated in a more conscise format.

As expected. Another winner from Dr. Phil!
Ron
Jul 04, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't know; I found it to be 8 cds of basically useless information. Nothing more than common sense. On the positive side it did wonders for helping me get to sleep at night.
Harvey Caywood
Mar 22, 2013 rated it liked it
As most have, I've seen and been effected by behaviors/scheming that have propelled the lazy, deceitful, manipulative liers to money/power while the honest, ethical, genuinely dedicated people/employees have (at best) been "passed over" or (at worst) quit out of frustration and/or due to being mortally "back-stabbed" reputationally.

And, human nature generally being a seamless continuum, behaviors in the office occur within families, between friends/acquaintences, social assemblies (eg: School Bo
Alex Timberman
Oct 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
First of all, I know some of my friends will deride me for reading this book. I read it because it was free to listen to as part of my Kindle Unlimited membership. Also, I know the book goes against most of the books I've been reading this year, which I’d say are of a higher caliber in terms of intellectualism and artistry.

Now here goes the review. I never watched Dr. Phil but I learned that he rose to fame as a licensed psychologist who got invited to Oprah’s show. I’m not sure about Oprah’s s
Carolyn
Nov 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
McGraw spent a lot of time spelling out and explaining things that are either common sense or instinctively known by most people. The BAITORS are good to know about but thankfully I have not encountered too many of them. He deviates a great deal in the last part of the book about parenting, bullies, stranger danger, etc. Not sure where that came from. The life code is about setting goals, being true to yourself, setting deadlines, negotiating, getting what you want, and dealing with conflict. I ...more
BooksnWool
Sep 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Dr Phil tells it like it is. If you were a bit under-mothered or brought up in an overly-nice middle class family, or a neglectful or abusive one of any class, this will contain stuff you need to know. I only wish someone had told me these things when I was younger, though my grandmother tried and was snubbed for her efforts: then I could really have bragged, 'My momma didn't raise no stupid children.'

The bad guys only have a limited set of tricks and they only get away with them by bamboozling
Sheri Hair
May 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book has a wealth of information many do not WANT to know and EVEN MORE do not want YOU to know. The principals are based in WHAT EVERYONE needs to know. It is a very sad truth that "the good ole days" were not always ideal, but had significantly less problems involving the low brow predators that scoot in on their bellies to get something from their unsuspecting targets. This book will leave you with a different tint to your glasses. Sometimes hard to swallow insight is obvious after diges ...more
Silver Ivy
Nov 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dr. Phil gav us a playbk, n hez right, its up2 us how v use/misuse it.
1 thing i liked in the bk is tht, he pointed al the 'BAITERS' out very cleverly. Itz both easy and hard 2 recogniz thm 4m a distance and now i cn make smarter choices whom 2 sit wid, evn 4 just a cup of coffee.
Its a good bk, i mean if u knw urslf, ur focusd on wht 2 do wid ur life and ur honest with atleast urself. Dr. Phil has pointed out alot of things, bt chosing 2 do exactly what, how n whom 2 do wid or deciding nt 2 do th
Jenn
May 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a great read. Dr. Phil discusses how important it is to be aware of people with little moral standards, who are just waiting to take advantage of those who are oblivious to their cons.

It also discusses how life has changed over the years, and how important it is to be aware of the people you allow into your life.

Additionally, I found that the last part of the book that discusses the importance of teaching your children about the new life code, was very enlightening.
Rami Shouk
Apr 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Practical, Simple and straight forward!. This book is the sum of the lifetime experiences of a man who sees the world for what it really is. I think I'll be reading it again when I'm a couple of years older it'll be more useful then.
But seriously, no one understands life better than this guy. The way he analyses everything down to a logical explanation blows my mind!. I guess I'll be reading more of his books very soon!.
Shanna
Oct 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
A lot of interesting insight, tips, and real life examples in this book. I am a fan of the Dr. Phil show and also have read a few of his other books in the past. He has a no nonsense approach to life and the way we choose to live it. I think many people could benefit from reading this, if anything just to gain some new perspective on the way we live and the people we choose to surround ourselves and our families with. Great book. :)
Charissa Ty
Oct 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Dr. Phil has some really good one liners. Honestly, I really wanted to give this book a two star rating going into the second chapter. It just sounds so pessimistic and dangerous for people who actually suffer paranoia. However, things got pretty light and motivational in the following chapters bumping up my interest for the book. Good job Dr. Phil.
Tony Kaldas
Jul 18, 2013 rated it did not like it
I didn't like the book.. It is implanting more negativity in our minds and making separation between people. The whole book is convincing us that we are victims and we need to take care of the bad people!! Very basic knowledge, i thought he might be deeper than this.

Also, he speaks about his personal achievements a lot in the book!!! 1 star rating!
Will
Mar 06, 2013 rated it liked it
This book doesn't really stick to one topic. It's more of stream of consciousness. It seems like he wrote it because somebody made him angry and he threw a few other things together. The advice he gives is good, but it just seems like he's trying to sell a book by instilling more fear in people. Still, it was kind of interesting to read.
jeffrey
Mar 12, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Dr. Phil writes glibly, subtly and not so subtly selling himself throughout this plushly padded book. So, while he makes some good points, what he says could have been covered in pamphlet form. Perhaps he's saving more material for his next book.
Dr phil. Lifes 3 23 Aug 25, 2013 07:10PM
Goodreads Librari...: Book by Dr.Phil was entered wrongly 2x 2 19 Apr 23, 2013 07:22PM
  • Loving Sex: The book of joy and passion
  • The Book of Maybe: Finding Hope and Possibility in Your Life
  • The Power of Self-Compassion: Using Compassion-Focused Therapy to End Self-Criticism and Build Self-Confidence
  • Grow a Pair: How to Stop Being a Victim and Take Back Your Life, Your Business, and Your Sanity
  • Meditation – Deep and Blissful:  How to Still The Mind’s Compulsive Thinking, Let Go of Upset, Tap Into the Juice and Meditate at a Whole New Level
  • The Soulmate Secret: Manifest the Love of Your Life with the Law of Attraction
  • How to Lose Belly Fat Fast For Men and Women
  • You Can Be Happy No Matter What: Five Principles for Keeping Life in Perspective
  • Trust Book
  • A Skeptic's Guide to the Mind: What Neuroscience Can and Cannot Tell Us About Ourselves
  • Behavior Modification: What It Is and How to Do It
  • Deal Breakers: When to Work on a Relationship and When to Walk Away
  • Don't Believe Everything You Think: Living with Wisdom and Compassion
  • 101 Theory Drive: A Neuroscientist's Quest for Memory
  • Your Brain: The Missing Manual
  • Thoughts From the Seat of the Soul: Meditations for Souls in Process
  • Finding Inner Courage
  • How to be Totally Awesome
Phillip Calvin McGraw, best known as Dr. Phil, is an American television personality, psychologist and author who is the host of the psychology themed television show Dr. Phil. He gained celebrity status following appearances on The Oprah Winfrey Show.
“Take the high road, there's a lot less traffic up there.” 31 likes