Start by marking “Prototype: What Happens When You Discover You're More Like Jesus Than You Think?” as Want to Read:

Jesus is God and we are not. Most of us get that. But what we don't always understand is that God loves us just as much as He does His son. Many times in the Old Testament, God refers to human beings as His "beloved." But when God called Jesus His beloved, Jesus did something truly remarkable: He believed Him. He lived every moment of His life fully convinced of His identi ...more
Published May 1st 2013 by Tyndale Momentum (first published April 19th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Prototype, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prototype

Marty Solomon
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
In Martin's epilogue titled 'A Letter to a Ravaged Bride', speaking of the Church, he says this:

"You know I'm no cynic — I've loved you too long for that. This is love animated by grief. I still believe in you despite all of your vices. You can still dazzle the world, bride of God. But things are feeling as insane in here as they are out there, honey. And I don't know what else to do except to remind you of the time when you were lovely."

While that might be as cynical as Martin gets throughout t
Ann
Apr 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
I managed to read "Prototype" in 3 days! If you are wondering if it reads well, the answer is YES. Jonathan Martin is a smooth writer, with an easy flowing pen, that loves to tell great stories. Which he does very well I might add.

In the first couple of chapters I was very taken in by Martins style of writing. He has a unique style and it stands out, which is nice. It was refreshing to see him express his way through the chapters on our "Identity" and then on being his "Beloved".

Here is a quot
Jessica
Jul 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shortly before starting on this book, I had a personal realization that I needed to stop trying to "be a better Christian / person" through my own sheer willpower, and that what I most needed was to better internalize God's love and mercy for me so that I would be better able — and motivated — to live it out. That's essentially what Martin is talking about when he talks about Jesus as the prototype for a new kind of human — one who believes that he is perfectly loved by God before he does anythi ...more
B.J. Richardson
Jun 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Since I haven't quite finished the Bible yet, I can honestly say this is the best book I've read all year. Granted, I'm only reading half what I normally do, but still... I'd recommend this book to anyone.

Jesus is the prototype for what it means to live fully human. Jonathan Martin starts with this premise and then explores different formative moments in his own life and experience where God demonstrated to him what it means to follow after Christ in this adventure that is our own humanity.

Very
Leigh Kramer
Jun 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Grace drips off the pages of this book from pastor Jonathan Martin. His experience of faith made me more open to his sense of the Holy Spirit and it renewed my hope that good churches are out there. Definitely want to read it again sometime soon.
Lisa
Aug 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful and poetic description of what it means to be a disciple of Jesus. A must-read for anyone who is confused about what it means to follow Jesus or who needs reminding of who they are in Christ. One of my top 10 books this year.
Jason Isaacs
If you could see the back cover of my copy of “Prototype” by Jonathan Martin, you would understand how much I have wrestled with this book. I have left a scattering of notes, paraphrases of concepts, and bullet points wherever I could squeeze them on the page; I took so many notes because Martin covers a lot of theological ground and he frames his message in the language of his target audience. It took some time for me organize and absorb all his concepts. Martin goes to great length to frame th ...more
Adam Shields
Nov 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short Review --- Prototype: What Happens When You Discover You're More Like Jesus Than You Think? by Jonathan Martin - Excellent book on living the life of a Christian. The best thing about the book is Martin's personal writing style that is completely devoid of theological language, while maintaining a pretty high level of theological content. This is probably the best general Christian living book I have read this year. If you read a lot of Christian living and/or theology books the general th ...more
Joan
Dec 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
I was disappointed in this book. The premise is so good - how to live fully human as Jesus was. But Jonathan just does not deliver. He tells lots of stories about himself so that, in the end, this is sort of his own spiritually coming of age account. He tells lots of stories about others too, people who have come into his church, etc. In the end I learned much more about Jonathan than I did about Jesus and what it means to live into His identity. There was nothing about what it means to be "in C ...more
Katie
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
This was pretty good. It's a different type of perspective than what I usually read with religious books- he's from a very different Christian tradition than what I'm used to (he's a Pentecostal pastor), and it's a lot more focused on "vertical" spirituality than "horizontal" (i.e., more on personal spiritual growth than social justice, etc.). What he's saying isn't new, but he has an interesting way of looking at things and a down-to-earth writing style that makes him easy to relate to.
Jordy Madueño
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We are the touch of God

This gave us a look into the church and it's role. The truthful purpose of our lives, and Jonathan helps us relate to several stories he share so we can understand how important is for us (as a church) to act.

Love it. Easy and fast to read.
Great message.
Peter
Apr 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
For this review and other reviews, please visit my blog.

I have to admit, that I struggled with Prototype. I'll go ahead and tell you now that I when I finished the book, I enjoyed it. It's a good book and I would recommend reading it. The reason why I'm wrestling with this review is I didn't enjoy it at first. It took me a little bit to get into the book and really understand the direction that Jonathan Martin was going.

The subtitle of Prototype is, "What happens when you discover you're more li
Cheryl
Jul 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is based around the fact that Jesus is our prototype—that He is our example on how to live and most importantly He is our example on how knowing that we are beloved of God changes the way we do live. Who are you? Is your identity rooted in knowing you are beloved of God?

One of the author’s purposes for this book was the hope that we would become “awake to God” (p. 15). He is not dogmatic in exactly what that is supposed to look like either.

This book is filled to the brim with stories,
Alpha
Nov 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I picked up this audiobook on a gist while browsing about within Family Christian. I was not sure if I would enjoy it but two points enforced my decision to pay. One: I really enjoyed listening to "Stop Asking Jesus Into Your Heart". Two: the title intrigued me along with the description. In conclusion, I am so happy I got this.

Martin discusses how Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior, is the prototype for how Christ Followers should be. Hitting many hard points both from personal experiences and t
Beyond the Pages
Oct 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Prototype is a beautifully written book that strived to convey a message about identity, relationship and outreach. The base lesson, however, seemed to be two-fold. First, the author wanted us to appreciate our status as the beloved of the LORD. Second, I believe he wanted readers to see that all of our efforts are linked to Him [the LORD] through the very heart of Christ.

The author did a wonderful job of offering up Scriptural references throughout the pages of this book, but he did not do so i
Stacie Wyatt
May 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read Prototype in exchange for honest review from Tyndale Blog Network.

The book teaches us how to allow Jesus to become our prototype. Chapter 1 of the book/DVD discusses Identity. What is your identity? Some people think their identity is similar to their social media profiles. A brief bio, sometimes longer, explaining their likes, dislikes, age, sex, and location. Yet, a profile does not explain who you truly are? "What are you covering up? What are you afraid of? Where are you going" (p. 1
Lindsey Silvestrini
Dec 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was immediately overwhelmed when I started reading Prototype by the depth of knowledge, wisdom and emotion contained in each page written by Martin.

This book is all consuming and once I started it, I could not put it down. It is written with the wisdom of someone whose faith is immeasurable and makes others like myself feel inadequate by comparison. This is not a negative thing though. It made me want to be better and stronger and grow in my faith in a way that Martin has.

This book encourages
Mathew
Jan 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Read the entire review at

The saying goes, “Don’t judge a book by its cover,” but I quite disagree. I nearly always judge a book by its cover. In fact, what drew me to Jonathan Martin’s Prototype was its cover art and title. Prototype: What Happens When You Discover You’re More Like Jesus Than You Think? Making Jesus central is huge and Jonathan seeks to do this. “Jesus really is the prototype for a whole new way of being human” (p. 98).

What I loved. The gospel will stalk (p. 29) you through out
Richard
Oct 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Ever think you are God's gift to mankind? What if you are actually more like Jesus than you think?

Author Jonathan Martin takes readers for a splendid adventure. When you read the Gospels, you see Jesus in complete trust of God the Father. What if we could have the same trust with God? Is that possible?

The big premise I took from this book is how to get freedom from fear by claiming who we are in God's sight. Don't allow yourself to conform to what your friends or peers want you to be. Find your
Amanda
Aug 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
I recently discovered this Charlotte, North Carolina pastor and have listened to several of his sermons via podcast to and from work. His ideas are refreshing and the information he shares has left me with the impression that he is a genuine, down-to-earth, 30 something just catching the world's attention.

This book is not a hard and fast Bible study. It is a blended presentation consisting of Pastor Martin's experiences and struggles and those of his closest friends, as well as teaching about J
Paige
Dec 31, 2013 rated it liked it
Prototype is a Jonathan Martin memoir about the realization that we are indeed God's beloved like Jesus we should believe and remember that. Jonathan captures the reader by bringing up that familiar moment we've all had when we feel most alive and free, like a "boy on a bicycle." To me the ultimate goal of the book is to create an awareness in readers that allows them to have a deeper awareness of the presence of God in the everyday.

The book does a great job of bringing you in with that familia
Blake Chenoweth
Dec 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love to read about Jesus and life-change that happens in people because of Him. This book fit that exactly for me. A friend recommended this to me and I am glad that he did. Jonathan writes with a story-based conversational style that I love. Reminds me a little of a Donald Miller book in his voice for some reason. Reminded me a lot of "Life of the Beloved" by Henri Nouwen too. Living like the beloved child of God that you are because of what Jesus, God's beloved son, did for all of us. A book ...more
Debra
May 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Powerfully written book on what it means to be loved by Jesus in today's world. This evokes and emotional response in every chapter. "God takes the same risk that any of us take when we truly love someone -- He loves in a way that gives the other person permission to hurt him." Just one of may quotes that struck me. Such a clear picture of the good, the bad and the ugly in and around us. I particularly liked the section on Jacob wrestling for a blessing with an Angel. I never could reconcile tha ...more
Jamie
Feb 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I will be honest: the first time I tries to read this book...I only made it to about the sixth page. I wasn't ready yet. Fast forward some months and some more heartache and disappointments. I was ready. And I immediately cried in the first chapter. It's an amazing book and has rekindled the fire in me to continue studying and knowing about Jesus. Really knowing Him.

It's not a dense read and you will be able to get through it with no problems. His personal experiences are touching and relatable
Ryan Fisher
Oct 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the best Christian Spirituality book I've read in a few months. Jonathan Martin is incredibly well spoken and comes across with a great balance of intellectual insight and authenticity. He takes the central narrative of the work and fleshes it out throughout in a way that compels the reader to live more like Christ. Martin's use of grace and truth left me not only wanting to live a better story, but knowing that I can through Christ; Not in-spite of my weaknesses, but because they have b ...more
Steve Watson
Jul 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Martin's basic pitch is that Jesus is the prototype of what it means to be human and that the more we are formed to be like Jesus, the more truly human we become. He's spot on and refreshing in exploring this. The first half of the book nearly moved me to tears, as it explored just how free we are to find our joy in being the fullest, most authentic version of ourselves we are born to be. Martin's handle on Jesus' radical grace and inclusion and power to love and transform is also refreshing and ...more
Rev. Linda
Sep 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was chosen for the common reader this year at Messenger College, of the colleges where I work as a librarian. The author has some very realistic examples of how we are more like Jesus than we think, based on his life and the lives of some of the members of his church Renovatus, a Church for People Under Renovation in Charlotte, NC. My favorite story was his retelling of the un-named lady who washed Jesus' feet with her tears and a jar of expensive perfume. A good choice of a reader for a co ...more
India
May 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book calls to light the brokenness within each person in such a genuine way. Martin has a constant tone of love and humilty that makes the reader feel as though they are sitting around a campfire listening to him pour his heart out about his love for God and God's love for all of us. It's honest and real. It highlighted a lot of the things that I have personally struggled with in my life. I personally think that everyone should read it and you will know when the time is right to do so.
Vonetta
Mar 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
There is a standard called "Nature Boy" that I love. The song ends with the line, "The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return." Loving is easy compared to learning to be loved. Martin lays out ways to begin to embrace this idea. I still find the love of God incredibly overwhelming, so I have a hard time even talking about it in this review. But, basically, Martin challenges Christians to live the way we're called: feel loved and love others fearlessly.
Joy Matteson
This is an exceptional book that reminded me of Henri Nouwen's devotional works on being the beloved of God. An easy read for those who want a quick read about what it means to discover Jesus' new way of being human, with a quick wit and easy grace. A necessary read for those who feel guilt and shame over not being a 'good enough' Christian.
  • Beauty Will Save the World: Rediscovering the Allure and Mystery of Christianity
  • Playing God: Redeeming the Gift of Power
  • Tables in the Wilderness: A Memoir of God Found, Lost, and Found Again
  • The Longing for Home: Reflections at Midlife
  • Jesus: A Theography
  • Malestrom: Manhood Swept into the Currents of a Changing World
  • Disquiet Time: Rants and Reflections on the Good Book by the Skeptical, the Faithful, and a Few Scoundrels
  • One Big Thing: Discovering What You Were Born to Do
“Many times in the Old Testament, God refers to human beings as His beloved. But when God called Jesus His beloved, Jesus did something truly remarkable: He believed Him. And He lived every moment of His life fully convinced of His identity.” 4 likes
“Now do you understand why it's so important for you to grasp your belovedness? God won't change the world through angels or through ideas; He will change the world through His sons and daughters. If you don't know who you are, if you don’t know your true identity, you won't touch others on His behalf.” 3 likes