Start by marking “The Reality-Based Rules of the Workplace: Know What Boosts Your Value, Kills Your Chances, and Will Make You Happier” as Want to Read:

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  162 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
The key to understanding how your manager calculates your real value . . .and how to boost itMore than anything else, you need to understand exactly how your employer evaluates you, and your annual performance review doesn't tell the whole story. "In Reality Check," Cy Wakeman shows how to calculate how your value to your organization. This number calculates your current a ...more
Published April 16th 2013 by Jossey-Bass (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Reality-Based Rules of the Workplace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Reality-Based Rules of the Workplace

Beth Hatch
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: episode145
For those who feel undervalued in your career or constantly wonder why you can't get ahead, this book might be for you. For those of you that want to further your career but wonder what might be holding you back, this book is for you. So often we feel helpless and hopeless and burned out in our jobs but there is hope: all you have to do is take control of your own value to your organization. It's not about what your organization can do for you but what you bring to your organization, and you may ...more
Karin
Sep 22, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had to read this for work. I liked the first third the most where there were some useful quizzes. that said some of the advice borders on creating mindless workers that fall in lockstep with company policies, which relies on the assumption that the business in question really is trying to create the best possible environment for employees, which I doubt is always the case.
Cori
What intrigued me: A couple of former coworkers praised this book.

What I liked:I liked the section on not telling ourselves stories. We should give each other the benefit of the doubt more. I also liked the section about taking action rather than complaining.

What I didn't like:Cy seems very corporate focused. She uses the phrase "the gift of your work" a lot in the book and I don't appreciate it. If we choose to work for a company we give them the best hours of our best days. A pay check does no
Julie
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I will reread this. I am subscribed to her YouTube channel, and I will read her other books.
Ashley
Feb 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am reading this for work. Along with many of the other reviewers, I have been met with mixed feelings about this book including: agreeance, annoyance, and anger. There are some very valid arguments in the book including the importance of holding yourself better accountable for your goals and actions and the negatives of emotional expensiveness in the workplace. On the other hand, there are some situations or "excuses" mentioned which are perfectly valid. Sometimes they are things you can work ...more
Mark Sturgell
Jul 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was originally asked by the publisher to read and write a review of Cy Wakeman's book when it was first released, and I did so. The book immediately delighted me because the author's "voice" was almost identical to mine, using some of the same phrasing and word choices to describe some of the important matters that I have identified in my work with teams and organizations. I even joked with colleagues that "she must read my blog".

That feeling of "I could have written this", as delightful as i
Joy
Jun 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business, 21c, career
Perhaps most useful as an introduction to workplace norms for new adults, though of course, there are workers of all ages would would benefit from some of its advice.

(You can quibble with some of the specific details, as I think some of the advice breaks down in certain circumstances. For example, it's great to have a can-do, solution-oriented attitude, but sometimes concerns about capacity are entirely valid. It's less about "I can't do X" than "I can't do X while I'm doing items A, B, C, ..."
Dawn Lennon
Apr 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Putting a real finger on the pulse of workplace dynamics separates credible books on success from superficial ones. Cy Wakeman allows no excuses for avoiding accountability at work and for perpetuating drama. She invites self-assessment of your current performance, future potential, and emotional expensiveness (the cost of any "maintenance"). With that she offers clear-headed perspectives to replace the ones that are not working in your favor along with her 5 grounded rules to boost your value a ...more
Russell Simpkins
Read this book if you want to take control of your own destiny. Cy's writing is clear and concise without being repetitive. I need these constant reminders that I am in control of my own destiny and this book does a very good job explaining the we are all, ultimately, responsible for our own growth and satisfaction. "The seven habits of highly effective people" has a very similar message if you haven't already read it. This book is more concise and actionable. I enjoy the ratings and the means t ...more
Tim
Jul 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wakeman has written an excellent book for everyone in the workplace. She not only covers the positive characteristics of highly effective employees and their future potential but she also spends much energy describing those personality traits that hamper and can even destroy even the most effective employee, from clerical to CEO. I recommend this book to anyone interested in increasing personal effectiveness.
Anne Bradley
Mar 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
This book might read as slightly preachy to the people that would most benefit from it, but I thought it was great. Example: Rule #1 is "Your level of accountability determines your level of happiness."

"a team player is often more valuable than a star"
"People tend to believe conflict is inevitable and invariably personal. This isn't true...The root cause of conflicts among people is ambiguity in goals, roles and procedures."
Debbie
Jul 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
A Fast read about forward sailing into a stress-free working environment. Cy Wakeman sites several scenarios to help readers stay in their lane on the highway of any workplace. A refreshing book for upper management and workers in general to consider reading. Perfect for those teachers to charge up your batteries as we get ready to head back to school in the fall.
Andrea
I didn't exactly like this book, but I think it is good. It is full of the things I know but for some reason still need to have pounded into my head in a regular basis. I think I should read it again in a few months.
Lisa
Mar 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Completely eye opening. Some of it angered me while reading it, but I interpreted those parts as areas where I really needed to pay attention. I appreciate that the author wrote this book directed to workers. So many business books talk about leadership, but most workers aren't management.
Michelle Tran
May 11, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
This book was alright. The advice was sound, but I can't help but think that the purpose of some of the advice is to create more complacent corporate drones, (especially the advice about reframing negative external "problems" as something you should take ownership to improve).
Jacob Cruzan
Oct 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
Cy Wakeman gives some sound advice on how to survive in any work place. I particularly liked rule number 1, on personal accountability. If anyone follows the 5 rules their life will become more fulfilling.
Tressa
Jun 25, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I actually liked The Reality-Based Rules of the Workplace, which surprised me as I usually view such books with skepticism. The concepts were simple, common-sense, and easy to grasp. I thought it was easy to assess yourself and determine if where you were in the categories was true or not.
Justine
Sep 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-read
Great work read!
Michelle
Jun 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good ideas about keeping your emotions in check. I am recommending this book to new managers and many others.
Oct 27, 2016 marked it as not-finished  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
So many books, so little time... Nothing wrong with what I read - but my e-book from the library expired before I got very far and I am not too inspired to get it again.
Megan
Jul 08, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book for new managers and keeping emotions in check at the workplace.
Mike
Aug 05, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-summary
I read the summary. Good tips, worth taking some common sense advice.
Lisa B.
Dec 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Telling Ain't Training
  • Talk, Inc.: How Trusted Leaders Use Conversation to Power their Organizations
  • 2600 Phrases for Effective Performance Reviews: Ready-To-Use Words and Phrases That Really Get Results
  • Sleeping with Your Smartphone: How to Break the 24/7 Habit and Change the Way You Work
  • Change the Culture, Change the Game: The Breakthrough Strategy for Energizing Your Organization and Creating Accountability for Results
  • Unstuck: A Tool for Yourself, Your Team, and Your World
  • The Leadership Pipeline: How to Build the Leadership-Powered Company
  • The Adult Learner, Sixth Edition: The Definitive Classic in Adult Education and Human Resource Development
  • It's Okay to Be the Boss: The Step-by-Step Guide to Becoming the Manager Your Employees Need
  • Masters of Command: Alexander, Hannibal, Caesar, and the Genius of Leadership
  • Managing to Change the World: The Nonprofit Manager's Guide to Getting Results
  • Self-Awareness: The Hidden Driver of Success and Satisfaction
  • The Society of Timid Souls: or, How To Be Brave
  • Blur: How to Know What's True in the Age of Information Overload
  • The Servant Leader: How to Build a Creative Team, Develop Great Morale, and Improve Bottom-Line Performance
  • The Strategist: Be the Leader Your Business Needs
  • The Truth about Leadership: The No-Fads, Heart-Of-The-Matter Facts You Need to Know
  • Discipline Without Punishment: The Proven Strategy That Turns Problem Employees Into Superior Performers