Start by marking “How to Teach Your Baby to Read” as Want to Read:
How to Teach Your Baby to Read

How to Teach Your Baby to Read

(The Gentle Revolution)

This book presents four tenets: Tiny children can learn to
Hardcover, Revised & Updated 40th Anniversary Edition, 262 pages
Published October 1st 2002 by Gentle Revolution Press (first published October 1964)

To ask other readers questions about How to Teach Your Baby to Read, please sign up.
Ryan I have the same sort of question. The book mentions several times that it can easily be done (or at least speaking them) but does not go into it as pa…moreI have the same sort of question. The book mentions several times that it can easily be done (or at least speaking them) but does not go into it as part of the system. My baby will be bilingual (English/Chinese) and we want to get him to read both but are not sure if it should be done simultaneously, or the second one delayed. The intial goal is to build up to five sets of five words three times a day (so seventy-five lessons). Each "lesson" is super quick but finding the right moments isn't always easy. So a second language would double that unless the system is modified and soon enough reading phrases and sentences will come in and make things busier still. Does anyone have a plan or system for this yet?(less)

Start your review of How to Teach Your Baby to Read
Pete
Nov 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
To ANYONE who wants their kids to grow up with super reading skills...this is it. Scientifically created by a brain researcher. The original was published way back in the 60's (or maybe 50's). I used it to teach both my kids to read, starting at 18 months. That's right, months. Both learned to read by 3, and my son had read all the early grade school books by 4. We couldn't find enough with big print. By 5 he was through most of the middle school books.

I measured his reading speed (better than
Cheryl
Jul 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
Every parent should read all of Doman's books. Even if you don't agree with 100% of his methods, you will learn how important it is to take advantage of the child's early years when their mind is like a sponge.
Christina
Feb 11, 2008 rated it liked it
Interesting idea. The basic premise is that reading is a natural brain function, just like learning to understand spoken language. According to the authors, kids don't learn to read earlier on their own because generally print is too small for their underdeveloped vision. Apparently the method described in the book (using very large, bold flashcards) has worked for thousands of families, and I plan to start trying it with Isobel within the next few months.
That said, the writing was poor, and the
Valerie
Nov 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Reading this book changed my perception of babies and their potential. They are capable of so much, and I appreciated being able to feel like I was really teaching them rather than just waiting for them to grow out of the cute "blob" stage. I've applied these ideas of teaching babies from all the books the Domans have written, and had my children reading at age 3, learning to speak by reading (my autistic son), recognizing a "giant walkingstick" in a natural history museum (even though he was so ...more
Tim Headley
Feb 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The most WONDERFUL experience in life is teaching your 2-year old how to read, and watching her LOVE to read, really read books, at age 3. Sure, it will make your baby much more intelligent, but just as important, you will have such sweet memories of those special times with your child cuddled on your lap, reading aloud to you.
Amy
I'm definitely intrigued by the idea, and I desperately want to try it...and yet I'm hesitant. I agree with the author that young children soak up knowledge with an unfathomable rapidity, so I think my son would love it. I'm just nervous because there is no phonics involved whatsoever...the child is taught solely through sight words, which gets to be a LOT of words on cards! My concern is that he will learn to read and yet be missing some of the most basic tools he needs to continue learning on ...more
Amanda
Jan 22, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I was given “How to Teach Your Baby to Read” a while back. It's been lying around, so yesterday I thought I'd give it a read.

I like the idea behind the title. Upon reading the book, I found that Doman's methodology presents a couple ideas that I might try with my kids. But overall, I found this book disappointing and frustrating from a linguistics standpoint.

For the majority of the text, Doman makes claims supported almost entirely through the aid of case-study and testimonial-style examples co
Jen
Sep 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who hangs out with children!
I love, love, love this book. My 4 year old is reading everything he see's now, and my 1 year old is trying too. This will be my new gift for all new parents.
Casey Gardner
May 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great system to teach toddler to read. My only complaint is that the system assumes 'the mother' will teach child.
Catherine Yarham
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I haven't actually read this book cover to cover. However, my mother used this method to teach me to read when I was two. She did say that she would never have continued the flash card system with me if I hated it. My grandmother, an experienced school teacher, did not believe that I could read at 2 - until I read her a picture book. It doesn't always teach phonetics - for example, I had a real interest in history and the ancient Egyptians as a child, but had no idea how to pronounce "Pharaoh". ...more
Paul
Aug 12, 2007 rated it really liked it
According to this book, little children (0-5 years old) are more intelligent and capable of learning than previously imagined. After it is understood that they have a huge amount of curiosity about the world around them, the authors strongly recommend enriching a child’s environment by teaching them to read.

The Institutes for the Achievement of Human Potential (the group behind this book) was begun to see if it was possible to teach brain-damaged children to read. In this case, "brain-damaged" m
Katlego Mojapelo
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I just completed how to teach your baby to read by Glenn Doman and Janet Doman.
This is truly an amazing book on the leading edge of thought, to know and believe that our tiny babies can be taught to read from as little as day one is just outstanding.
This book outlines the methods ,procedures to be followed step by step, the do's and dont's , how the babies brain is wired at different stages of development and growth and mostly it's never to late to teach you baby to read from 0-72months is the
Marcus
Aug 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A large part of the book is spent explaining whether and why anyone would want to teach their baby to read. Will it HURT them? Will it RETARD their growth? Will it OVER-PRESSURE them? Etc. If you're already convinced that teaching your baby to read isn't going to mortally wound their infant souls then you'll be happy to have your intuition confirmed by data, and you can then proceed to skim the first 100 pages

The rest of the book gives a system for creating cards and starting to expose the baby
Jessica
Jun 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Glenn Doman's advice on teaching a baby to read is both refreshingly straightforward and precise (down to the number of inches tall your letters should be and what color of felt tip marker you ought to use to make them). While not all of these injunctions seem proven or perhaps necessary to the working of this plan, they are what worked for Doman and so he relates them. It is nice that he put the pragmatic portions of the book separate from the philosophical because it makes turning back to it w ...more
La La
Aug 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I taught my son to read at the age of two with another edition of this book. It had instructions on how to make flash cards using a wide red felt tip marker and the backside of large index cards; both of which I purchased at a dollar store. The book also gave word progression suggestions and augmentation schedules. I made my own additions to the teaching method using the BOB Books, and a few Dr. Seuss books; like Go Dog Go, One Fish Two Fish, and Hop on Pop. I know the current versions have all ...more
Amy
Jan 28, 2010 rated it liked it
An easy read and a great concept with convincing arguments and testimonials. I sent away for my reading cards immediately! Just started teaching him last week and already my 2.5-year-old is reading a couple of words. I was most intrigued by the chicken and egg question presented by the authors about so many early readers entering gifted programs. Did they read early because they were gifted or did they excel (and thereby acquire the gifted label becuase they read early????)
Christine
Jun 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I read this book 6 year ago and teach my son right away. It worked! My son can read since he was 2.5 y o, and since that day he loves to read and write stories and poems.
Niharika
Jun 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I always knew that babies learn different languages at a speed adults cant even imagine. They learn just by listening to it.
If they can learn to speak they can learn to read also. This book talks about all the angles related to teaching your baby to read. Learning to read is the greatest gift for a baby.
Coady Nickerson
Sep 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Teaches baby to read words by sight with very tall thick letters. Short activity to do with the baby each day. May take quite a bit of work to make all the sight cards.
It explains process well.
Seems fine, but doesn't teach baby phonics. Will have to memorise every word it comes across.
Susan Austin
Dec 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A perspective-changer on brain growth, how language is learnt and how much children can take in during the early years. Inspiring.
Tiana Thai
Oct 10, 2017 rated it liked it
I will apply Glen Doman when I have a child. It's amazing work.
Maggie Moeller
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The brain is so fascinating. Whether or not you have an interest in actually teaching your baby or young child to read, the research behind it is a very interesting read.
Rachael Hubbard
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very in depth. I rented it from the library, but I have to buy this one. Really good.
Lyubomira Bambova
Life-changing book!!!!
Roberto
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A must read book for parents who wants to apply early childhood education at home.
Neha Tamhane
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Although there is a lot of content repeated throughout the book, the process of teaching to read is clearly defined. Will put this to use in a couple of months and include that in my review later.
Margaret
Jun 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I can't wait to use this method to teach my future baby. And see if this method is really effective.
Matthew Borton
Aug 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Why wait to give them the gift of reading?
Enhee Tsoodol
Туршиж үзчихээд тэмдэглэл бичнээ. Been meaning to start a project “learning to read” with my marvelous little hooman being...
Sep 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
The writing leaves something to be desired, but the information is helpful. Can't wait to try it with Andrew.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Absorbent Mind
  • Brain Rules for Baby: How to Raise a Smart and Happy Child from Zero to Five
  • The Secret of Childhood
  • Discovery of the Child
  • Dr. Montessori's Own Handbook
  • The Andromeda Evolution (Andromeda #2)
  • Kindergarten is Too Late!
  • I Want My Puppets!
  • 52 Cups of Coffee: Inspiring and Insightful Stories for Navigating Life's Uncertainties
  • The Midnight Library
  • The Fast 800: How to Combine Rapid Weight Loss and Intermittent Fasting for Long-Term Health
  • Att inte vilja se
  • The First 90 Days: Critical Success Strategies for New Leaders at All Levels
  • Supporting Positive Behavior in Children and Teens with Down Syndrome: The Respond But Don't React Method
  • The Simple Path to Wealth: Your road map to financial independence and a rich, free life
  • The Montessori Toddler: A Parent's Guide to Raising a Curious and Responsible Human Being
  • The 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing: Violate Them at Your Own Risk
  • Visions from Heaven: Visitations to My Father's Chamber
GLENN DOMAN is the founder of The Institutes for the Achievement of Human Potential to which parents from every continent have been finding their way for more than a half of a century. He and The Institutes are famous for their pioneering work with brain-injured children and for their work in early development for well children.

In addition to dealing intimately with more than twenty thousand fami