Start by marking “Computer Networks” as Want to Read:
Computer Networks

Computer Networks

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  1,801 Ratings  ·  84 Reviews
For courses in computer networking or introductions to networking at both the undergraduate and graduate level in computer science, engineering, CIS, MIS, and business departments. In this revision, the author takes a structured approach to explaining how networks function.
Hardcover, Fourth Edition, 912 pages
Published August 9th 2002 by Prentice Hall (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Computer Networks, please sign up.
Calin Everything that counts is there. Plus, new editions get published as technology advances. Strongly recommend it.

Ahmad Sharabiani
Computer Networks, Andrew S. Tanenbaum
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: سال 2006 میلادی
عنوان:شبکه های کامپیوتری ؛ نویسنده: اندرو اس. تاننبام؛ مترجم: محمد قدسی؛ با همکاری: محمدخیام روحانی؛ ویراستار: حسن بستاندوست نیک؛ تهران، شورای عالی انفورماتیک - سازمان برنامه و بودجه؛ 1375؛ در 850 ص؛ کتابنامه از ص 775 تا 798؛ موضوع: شبکه های کامپیوتری - سده 20 م
ا. شربیانی
Kay
Aug 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Andrew Tenanbaum is one of the most prolific writers I’ve ever seen. He has written books on Distributed Operating Sytems, Computer Organisation, Operating Systems and Computer Networks.

Tanenbaum's Computer Networks is a good, solid introductory textbook on networking suitable for those with a computing background, either university students or computer professionals. I learned my basic networking from it six years ago and have been using it as a reference ever since. It uses a layer-based appr
Koen Crolla
Mar 17, 2010 rated it liked it
This book was a bit of a disappointment. While it's not *bad*, Tanenbaum's reputation and the pretty ridiculous price led me to believe it would be *great*, which it definitely isn't.

Tanenbaum has an unhealthy habit of trying to bullshit his way through sections he doesn't have a firm grip on himself, which was particularly apparent in certain sections on the Physical Layer. Since he actually has a PhD in Physics, I suppose it's possible he just wrote an in-depth explanation, then realised his r
Manuel J.
Feb 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a very helpful and very complete book about networks. The main point is that it privileges the why over the how, so the boring mechanics takes second place to the reasons behind the choices made along a short but eventful history.
Hosein
Jul 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Used to read this book in order to pass Computer Networks course in the bachelor degree of the university. I was very good. describing concepts with basic words and fluently. A great network fundamental book recommended to whom interested in learning Computer Networks from scratch.
Ben Cavileer
Aug 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Excellent book for anyone looking to pick up advanced networking knowledge. Topics have been relevant to my career and I continue to refer to this book. The information covers a broad range of topics; however, remains detailed enough to give a thorough explanation.
Timoteo Ponce
Dec 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: technology
One of the best written books of technology, Mr. Tanenbaum accomplished a very entertaining book with lots of examples, mixing technology and imagination he accomplished to create a classic.
Nav
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Best book to know the breadth of networking.
Suresh Madhavan
Jun 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Ioana
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
It helped a lot in understanding some of the basic concepts in networking. The book also presents some historical background so it was fun to read.
Francisco-françois Varas
I'm better at networks now.
Must read for any system administrator.
Serejka Keller
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The book not just gives not knowledge. To me, it's given something more.
Thanks Andrew.
Md. Abiruzzaman
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great book to learn computer networking fundamental and all description ✌
Samir Rahati
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
بسمه تعالی
برای یاد گیری مبانی شبکه عالیست
Владимир Мартьянов
Книга больше о теории разработки протоколов и в этой области хороша. Но в целом, показалась несколько поверхностной.
Philipp Keller
Nov 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was forced to read Tanenbaum in university and I hated it, partially because I didn't know if it was relevant. Now, after 10 years in the IT industry I realized that I need to understand networking and came back to this book.

The introduction is hard to read and somehow put me off. It's dry (especially the illustrations) and feels very dated (the recent versions just put Buzzwords like Twitter and Facebook in to make it look recent). But once you're past that you see the beauty of the book:

It i
Mj
Oct 21, 2007 rated it did not like it
I HATE THIS BOOK!

From the perspective of an instructional systems tech major and in which this book is used for instructional systems tech majors, this is not an effective book. It starts with the introduction chapter, which is nothing very outstanding, but then the next chapter is about the network layer already. It has this bottom-top approach in terms of the network hierarchy and that is not how one is preferred to learn about networks, unless one is already proficient about the concept of ne
bijan
Dec 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Those interested in understanding everything about networking!
This book is magnificent, it talks about everything and nothing about networking! It talks about every technology in some sort of story telling manner, at the same time it doesn't get into details of any subject. It's like a beautiful short story book (for computer literates of course ;) ) that draws a complete panoramic canvas about every confusing, high tech name out there. You can read this book many times and still find it necessary to read it again!
Arundev
Feb 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: students,friends
Recommended to Arundev by: Teacher
Great book.This book explain the theory part of data communication and computer networking. Data communication and computer networking, uses,how it achieved, its working,how devices are communicated,communication of people,through devices,located remote locations, transferring of data from one point to another point,the protocols, etc etc. This book give a strong foundation for the practical use. Explained well.
something_
An awesome book with very clearly laid out information, specially for the beginner in computer networks. It presents some subjects that, while do not seem absolutely relevant, are still rather interesting (history of origins of the internet as we know it comes to mind). Specially great for clearing concepts one has doubts about, and an infinetely useful accompanying tool to study for finals related to the subject.
André
"NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE BANDWITH OF A STATION WAGON FULL OF TAPES HURTLING DOWN THE HIGHWAY"

Tanenbaum lehrt hier profunde Netzwerkgrundlagen entlang des ISO/OSI- bzw. TCP/IP-Referenzmodells, dh. von der Hardware- hinauf zur Anwendungsschicht. Er bespricht zudem Netzgeschichte (technisch & wirt./politisch) und zB. die Hierarchie & Arbeitsweise (inter)nationaler Standardisierungsorganisationen
Krishna Kumar
May 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the most readable technical textbooks I have encountered. It explains networks and telecommunications in a very fascinating way, with a lot of humor thrown into the mix. Tanenbaum is, of course, the creator of Minix, which Linus Torvalds tinkered with before creating Linux.
Kerszi
Jun 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wspaniała książka. Czytałem ją ponad rok, (ponad 1000 stron robi swoje) w międzyczasie przeszło paręnaście książek, ale warto. Na pewno będę do niej wracać. Jest tam prawie wszystko co powinna wiedzieć o sieciach osoba siedząca w tym temacie, dla osób postronnych może wydać się nudna, niestety jakąś minimalną wiedzę powinien posiadać czytelnik.
Sergey
Jun 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
All I always wanted to ask about Internet but always afraid of.
Brief overview of all technology stack used in modern networking and a bit math around them.
Also author using great analogies and jokes to explain complicated things and processes.
Must read for every engineer.
Danish Aziz Satkut
Apr 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best computer network books available out there. I loved the comical writing style of the author. AST drops a lot of small knowledge pieces throughout the book. I would definitely recommend this to all computer science students and professionals alike!
Nahol
Jun 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
i recall the network course i took in university this was considered my textbook, It’s a great resource for understanding networks where it gives detailed descriptions of the principles associated with each layer and presents many examples drawn from the Internet and wireless networks.
Huma
Feb 18, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: university
This greatest plus point of this book is that while Network topics are quite dry, but the text in this book is written in such a way that makes it quite interesting to read. It manages to convey the concept across to the reader by employing a story-telling type of method.
Alexi Parizeau
Nov 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this cover to cover (all 900 pages), and it was actually a real pleasure. It's well written with a good flow, and manages a good amount of technical detail. Plus the author has a dry wit that kept making me chuckle. Really great textbook.
Herbert Washington
A little technical but quite enjoyable if this is your genre.
Majid Hadavand
Jan 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Old but good!
HOW TO USE KASPERSKY ANTI-SPAM FILTER? 1 1 Apr 25, 2018 11:17PM
How to Scan Your Yahoo Mail Account for Common Issues 1 2 Mar 28, 2018 02:29AM
Check System Requirement for Successful AVG Installation 1 2 Mar 27, 2018 02:31AM
How to Recover Your Yahoo Mail Password? 1 2 Feb 11, 2018 09:11PM
Charter Customer Support Number 1-800-721-0104 1 3 Feb 03, 2018 02:46AM
SBCGlobal Helpline Phone Number  1 1 Nov 09, 2017 01:14AM
Dial +1-855-490-2999 Yahoo Mail password Recovery Support 1 1 Sep 14, 2017 05:44AM
  • Operating System Concepts
  • The Protocols (TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 1)
  • Computer Organization & Design: The Hardware/Software Interface
  • Introduction to the Theory of Computation
  • An Introduction to Database Systems
  • The Art of Computer Programming, Volumes 1-3 Boxed Set
  • Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach
  • The Implementation (TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 2)
  • Learning Perl
  • Computer Networking: A Top-Down Approach
  • Concepts of Programming Languages
  • Java: How to Program

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »