Start by marking “Rocks and Minerals (Field Guide and Introduction to the Geology and Chemistry of)” as Want to Read:

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  277 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
An illustrated field guide to rocks and minerals.
Published June 1st 1973 by Golden (first published 1957)

Lisa Vegan
May 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adored this book as a kid, and continually read and viewed it. I did collect rocks, as well as shells. I remember even buying some particularly pretty rocks with my allowance, the kinds I never would have found in my searches. I do own this book, but given the state of my real world shelves, I’ll have to hunt it down. I’d love to take a look at this again. I have many fond memories of time spent with it. I’m rating based on the enjoyment I got pouring over this book when I was young; I haven’t ...more
Lobstergirl
Mar 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood
I used to spend hours poring over this book when I was little, drawn to the awesome cover - that big ole pickaxe and the chunks of sparkly rocks. Thank you, Golden Nature Guides!

The later covers just don't have the same magic.
Sara
Jul 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
One of my all time favorite books as a kid.
Betsy
Nov 05, 2012 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone with a casual to hearty interest in Rocks, Gems and Minerals
Recommended to Betsy by: saw in Uppercase magazine
These books are beautifully vintage now and a pleasure to read! The information is quite concise and written for a wide audience of lay persons...which includes me :-)
I have unearthed a trove of my old "Golden Nature Guides"- of which there are many -and am enjoying not only the information which I can understand w/o falling asleep, but the entire vintage format and illustrations throughout.
What a find! Snap them up now before people catch on to their vintage value!
Micah
Jun 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-improvement
This book started my fascination with minerals and chemistry. I spent many hours reading this book in my room waiting to go collect rocks as a kid.

My dad bought me this book on a vacation and it might have boon the best investment in my future that he ever made.

The information in the book is dated but the drawings and pictures helped me have a better understanding and appreciation for mineralogy and gemology.
Jasmine
interesting
Berk
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Totally Useful for field trips (approved) and very clear to understand!
James Savelli
Nov 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
James Savelli recommends this book.
Jacob Van
Oct 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
most amazing rocks and minerals book I have ever read in my life
Edithl6
May 17, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really did not like it because you learn from it :-/
Cb
Jan 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have a VERY old edition of this book from when I used to collect rocks as a kid!
Benjamin Plume
I had these as a younger teen, and they are really packed with information.
Rebecca
Jan 03, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, science
This is a great book a child who is interested in rocks and minerals. It covers the basics and has lots of interesting illustrations. A classic that has stood the test of time!
Shane
May 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A classic version of this book. I remember reading this as a kid when my dad owned it.
Allison
Grade: 3-5
Topic: Rocks and minerals
Saleris
Jul 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own, geology
It's a nice little book that I've had since a little girl. Lovely life drawings.
Dad
Jul 30, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: naturalist
This is an excellent Golden Guide book but it has not been used as much as many of the others perhaps because I am not as interested in rocks as the life science side of things.
CJ
Feb 27, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was very informational, but dated, given how old it is. Particularly on the uses of different minerals, such as Asbestos.
Foxtower
Jan 23, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
Very basic, and not nearly as helpful as more complex and comprehensive guideboooks, but a fun little book for a quick reference.
Brenyn.g
This book was fun when i was younger and i decided to give it a look a few days ago and read through it but now i just thought it was boring
Fredrick Danysh
Zim classifies rocks and minerals in an easy to understand book that is intended for the layman.
Bookwyrmgyrl
Loved this book as a kid - taught me so much that is still with me today. These Golden books were a treasure trove for me.
Cws
Aug 04, 2014
Kass Johns
Sep 26, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • A Field Guide to Reptiles and Amphibians: Eastern and Central North America (Peterson Field Guides)
  • Birds of North America: A Guide to Field Identification
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Rocks and Minerals
  • A Field Guide to Insects: America North of Mexico
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Birds: Western Region (National Audubon Society Field Guide)
  • A Peterson Field Guide to Rocks and Minerals
  • The Eyewitness Handbook of Trees (Eyewitness Handbooks)
  • Stalking the Healthful Herbs
  • A Field Guide to the Birds of Eastern and Central North America
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees: Eastern Region
  • Geology
  • Fabre's Book of Insects
  • An Elementary Textbook of Psychoanalysis
  • A Field Guide to Stars and Planets (Peterson Field Guides)
  • The World Treasury of Physics, Astronomy & Mathematics from Albert Einstein to Stephen W. Hawking & from Annie Dillard to John Updike
  • The Snowflake