Start by marking “Outfoxed ("Sister" Jane, #1)” as Want to Read:
Outfoxed ("Sister" Jane, #1)

Outfoxed

("Sister" Jane #1)

From the bestselling author of the landmark work Rubyfruit Jungle comes an engaging, original new novel that only Rita Mae Brown could have written. In the pristine world of Virginia foxhunting, hunters, horses, hounds, and foxes form a lively community of conflicting loyalties, where the thrill of the chase and the intricacies of human-animal relationships are experienced ...more
Published July 26th 2005 by Ballantine Books (first published 2000)

Start your review of Outfoxed ("Sister" Jane, #1)
D.
Aug 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I think that this book deserves constant love and praise as well as a pedastal to follow it around so it is always being worshipped. Yes, people, it is that good! Rita Mae Brown is a fantastic writer and her characters are so realistically flawed that you can imagine them as clearly as you can imagine your best friends. The relationships between the characters are full of the raw human emotion that exists in real life and the challenges that these characters face are heartbreaking. The beautiful ...more
Leah
Sep 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a bit slow. It was the mystery. It didn't get started until after the halfway point. It involves drugs and murder. The rest of the story was more interesting. It involves horses, fox hunting, and dogs. The animals were the best characters, but I liked some of the humans, too. The autumn setting was lovely, especially since it was in Virginia.
Kimberly
May 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
I mostly enjoyed this book. I really liked the characters and love the talking animals. I was completely clueless when it came to the killer. My issue was that there was too much detail about fox hunting. The murder didn't even happen until over halfway thru the book. Some info on fox hunting would of been fine, but there was just too much detail, about hound bloodlines, clothes, and the hunts themselves. I hope that the next book doesn't go into as much detail because I would like to read more ...more
Abbey
BOTTOM LINE: This first "Jane Arnold, Master of Jefferson Hunt, rural Virginia" novel is a truly fantastical cosy, but definitely not for those who do not enjoy talking animals, as there is a superfluity of them here. However, the plot - and characters are very well-done, and there's a nice leavening of humor throughout. Comfortable cosy, albeit annoying at times.

Hunt season is coming on, and The Jefferson Hunt is readying horses, dogs, and people for Opening Hunt. Unfortunately someone plans to
Hodges
May 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
I've admired Rita Mae Brown for many years but had never read any of her "Sister Jane" mysteries until recently. I was hesitant the first time I picked one up at the library when I realized the series is largely centered around American Foxhunting - a sport I know zip about! - and that, in addition to the human characters, there is an entire cast of various animal characters as well. About midway through that first book, however, the concept began to grow on me. The characters, both animal and ...more
Jo Ann
Feb 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
I found this book to be a different type of mystery book. I kept waiting for the murder to occur, but it only did approximately 2/3 through the book. I am still digesting this approach. While at times I found myself racing through the book to get to the "murder," I was fascinated with the juxtaposition of the conversations among the people and the animals. I know nothing about hunting so I did struggle with all the details that revolved around the hunt. I especially enjoyed the character of " ...more
Lisa
Dec 05, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2014
I picked this book up from the shelf available at a vacation rental. A blurb on the back cover says this is a "snappy" book. It is anything but, in reality. It takes almost two hundred pages to get to the crime. The Crime. 200.

This is supposed to be a murder mystery.

The actual climax of the book is barely a blip. Then the protagonist sends the murderer off to think about what she's done after she is revealed. Really?

The detail about hunting is mildly interesting, but the package it's wrapped
Eyehavenofilter
Jul 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Jane, also known as Sister, now 70 years old is the matriarch of the fox and hound set in Virginia, must contend with all of the petty behavior of the selfish members of the locals. She must aslo keep the local rid-raff, criminals and thieves from destroying the age old life styles of the rich and infamous. It isn't easy. Especially when most of the wealthy feel that they are entitled to do anything they want, and the not so wealthy feel exactly the same way.
But Sister has it Ll under
Jana
Jul 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book is great if you want to learn about fox hunting. I knew nothing before I read the book and now I find the sport and the people involved very interesting. I would give the book four stars for the fox hunting knowledge that I gained. In contrast, the talking animals were very distracting to me and the murder didn't occur until so late in the book I found the crime solving to be rushed. I could only give the book two stars.
Kristal
Mar 11, 2009 rated it liked it
I was a bit nervous about starting this book. Not a book I would normally read. But I was impressed. The heroine is smart, mature and sophisticated. The author's details on the foxhunt are great. I actually really liked seeing the story not just from a human perspective, but from the animals perspective as well. The book did start out a bit slow, but I am hoping that the second book will be better.
Julie
Jun 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
I fell in love with "Sister" Jane and the hunt club so much, I tried to talk my husband into buying a 30 (or so) acre farm in Virginia. And we live in Southern California. It didn't work - I still live in Los Angeles. So I have to get my hunt club thrills vicariously and the "Sister" Jane series have been just the ticket.
George
Mar 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing
First in the "Sister" Jane fox hunting set in Virginia mystery series. Hunt master "Sister" Jane Arnold has her hands full in this mystery with a murder, heated rivalry between two over becoming joint masters that is splitting the hunt club, and various relationship problems. As in her other series, Brown has animal characters that play a prominent role in the story. A very enjoyable read.
Monique Marshall
Dec 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Thus began my Sister Jane addiction. Being into foxhunting it was a joy to finally find a novel (a whole series!) dedicated to our sport. I found Sister Jane to be quite endearing and lovable and was sad when I'd finished the series.
Brenda Hicks
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
An interesting gaze into the world of gentrified foxhunting. It is a world, I confess, I know or care little about. However, an animal lover can smell another good enough so it kept me reading even though no one dies in this murder mystery until page 240. After that, the pace of the novel picks up considerably. The book is well written and the scenery and characters well painted. I suppose, if you hold a romanticized view of the perfectly pressed but incredibly fragile world of these country ...more
Carol Brite
Mar 14, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have read Rita Mae Brown before and thought I would try this one since my husband worked for a hunt club at one time. I'm sorry, but I quit at Chapter 11. How do you get to Chapter 11 of a murder mystery and there is no murder? After giving up, I read other reviews. Apparently, the murder does not happen until two thirds into the book. While I enjoyed the details of the hunt club workings, it began to get extremely boring when not tied into a mystery. It was just talking. I understand about ...more
Mary
Aug 31, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
very slow start but turned out worth reading

the murder doesn't happen until you're about 60% through the book, so it was hard for me to find the story's center, especially given there were whole chunks of time when I felt I was drowning in the minutiae of Virginian fox hunting. (I thought I had somewhat of a handle on it after reading fantasies based on the hunt, but no.) Then, too, Sister Jane is obviously meant to be a sympathetic character, but I found her difficult to pace until after the
Peggy Christensen
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a murder mystery set in hunt country near Warrenton, so it is full of
information about the particulars and traditions of the fox hunt, which I knew nothing about. While not for everyone, I found it fascinating and the main character of "Sister" reminded me of a local friend who invited me to come
to experience the hounds and the hunt. I regret not doing so, but it would
have been wise of me to have read this book first.

Also, Rita Mae Brown is an excellent, polished writer whom I had known
Frances L. Ehrig
Talkative Animals

A fun and fascinating reading exercise. The birds talk, the hounds talk, the red foxes talk, the grey foxes talk, and the horses chat. It an interesting device to move the plot forward, but I had to try to remember all of the names of these characters and finally did, but the story ended. The murderer is finally revealed and that was a surprise. I now know more than I will ever need to know about Fox hunting, but it made an interesting background for the mystery.
Eden
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 Star book!!!

I enjoyed it once the action picked up. Nothing major happened until halfway through. 56% to be exact, so the first half was really slow for me. But after that, everything happened really quickly. I really loved that the readers could hear the animal's conversations and know their side of the story. I definitely recommend this book if you like cozy mysteries, and if you don't mind reading through the first half.
M M
Sep 18, 2017 rated it liked it
I have read many books by Rita Mae Brown. This one was so confusing. It spent so much time explaining the proper hunting gear even though I will never go foxhunting in my life. TMI. Halfway through the book, when the murder occurred, it actually got interesting. I hope the next in the series is not as focused on what to wear in the hunt.
Marcia Scott
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had picked up the most recent book in the series at the library. I liked it so now Im going back to read the series in order. I was drawn into the world of fox hunting right away (I know nothing about it). In Virginia where the stories take place, they hunt humanely. No foxes are intentionally killed. The animals in the story are intelligent and can communicate with each other. Its delightful. ...more
Michele bookloverforever
Hamilton Reviews

I've been following this author for more years than either i or the author care to count. She has NEVER disappointed me. I love both the "Sister Jane" series and the "Harry &Fair" series. For awhile I lived in her neck of the woods, Louisa County, VA and later, Richmond. Beautiful places. Thank you, Ms Brown for the wonderful word puzzles you have written.
Lindsay (Santafefan)
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
This isn't up to Rita May Brown's usual standards. Maybe an early book? No! Written after my favorite Sneaky Pie series. Hmmm.
Excruciating detail about fox hunting slow down the pace. There is a significant fact thrown in out of the blue late in the book, but not used. The animal characters are engaging, more so than most of the humans.
Nicholas
Jan 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Set in Virginia, story of a fox hunting club. One gimmick that did not work for me is that the animals can talk to each other and understand humans. Not only to we follow the story of the humans, but we also, to some extent get involved with the animal characters. Story centers around a rivalry to become the master of the hunt.
MJ
Mar 09, 2019 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this intro to contemporary fox hunting (no foxes killed). But I also enjoyed it because my dad was stationed in England in 1952 and my mom purchased fox hunting prints and for ever after our goose down pillowed couch had fox hunting fabric--1952-2017.
Diann Corsnitz
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A new series for me.

I have read other of Brown's books quite a few years sAgo and forgot what a lark she is to read. A neat little mystery set among horses and foxes. I love the fact that the animals give voice to their thoughts.
Lynn Rogers
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Delightful blending of human and animal
thoughts and conversations. A good education
on fox hunting in the South. Loved it.
Kelsey
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Can't decide if this is actually worth 5 stars. I love the animal characters (even though it took a little getting used to) along with Sister Jane herself, Shaker and a handful of others despite certain flaws. Several of the human characters were detestable, including the ones I think you are supposed to feel sympathetic for. Being a rider myself it's always fantastic to come across such a great adult book. I've always wanted to try Fox hunting and this book describes it so beautifully. Can't ...more
Cheryl Mcdonnell
Shelves: mystery
Love all the Sister Jane books
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Hounds of the Basket Stitch
  • The Spotted Dog (Corinna Chapman #7)
  • The Sheen on the Silk
  • Shot Through the Hearth (A Fixer-Upper Mystery, #7)
  • Owl Be Home for Christmas: A Meg Langslow Mystery
  • On Rue Tatin: Living and Cooking in a French Town
  • The Peppermint Tea Chronicles (44 Scotland Street, #13)
  • Everything My Mother Taught Me
  • Can't Judge a Book By Its Murder (Main Street Book Club Mysteries #1)
  • Boss Man From Ogallala / Darling Jenny
  • A Very Mummy Holiday (Tourist Trap Mysteries #9.5)
  • The Darling Dahlias and the Unlucky Clover (The Darling Dahlias, #7)
  • The Stingwisher: Cigar Smoking Jerks from Outer Space (Paperback)
  • CELTIC FOLKLORE WELSH AND MANX (Legends and Sagas of Wales) - Illustrations pictures and annotated the Myth of Celtic Deities (Gods and Goddesses)
  • A History of London
  • The Life and Death of a Druid Prince
  • The Bigfoot Casebook
  • Fool Me Once (Tarot Mystery, #2)
Rita Mae Brown is a prolific American writer, most known for her mysteries and other novels (Rubyfruit Jungle). She is also an Emmy-nominated screenwriter.

Brown was born illegitimate in Hanover, Pennsylvania. She was raised by her biological mother's female cousin and the cousin's husband in York, Pennsylvania and later in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.

Starting in the fall of 1962, Brown attended the

"Sister" Jane (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Hotspur ("Sister" Jane, #2)
  • Full Cry ("Sister" Jane, #3)
  • The Hunt Ball  ("Sister" Jane, #4)
  • The Hounds and the Fury ("Sister" Jane, #5)
  • The Tell-tale Horse ("Sister" Jane, #6)
  • Hounded to Death ("Sister" Jane, #7)
  • Fox Tracks ("Sister" Jane #8)
  • Let Sleeping Dogs Lie (Sister" Jane, #9)
  • Crazy Like a Fox ("Sister" Jane #10)
  • Homeward Hound ("Sister" Jane, #11)

News & Interviews

“Raleigh” 1 likes
“What love had been given her she wished to give to others. Most times they didn’t much want it but hounds, horses, cats, and dogs did and they were a gift from the gods, too.” 0 likes