Jump to ratings and reviews

The Hagwood Trilogy #2

Dark Waters Of Hagwood

The race to save Hagwood has begun!

Wicked queen Rhiannon, High Lady of the Hollow Hill, is more intent than ever on finding the enchanted casket containing her heart. Made immortal through evil sorcery, she has ruled the land of Hagwood heartlessly for far too long. If someone can discover the lost casket and destroy the beating heart within, her terrible reign will end. The werlings Finnen and Gamaliel—in possession of the golden key that will unlock the High Lady’s casket—race to find it first. Their quest leads them to the Pool of the Dead, where the hideous Peg-tooth Meg resides with her slimy snails and mutated sluglungs. Caught between the armies of Peg-tooth Meg and the High Lady, Gamaliel and his friends must make a desperate stand to save the world of Hagwood from the forces of evil. This ebook features an illustrated biography of Robin Jarvis including rare photos from the author’s personal collection.

318 pages, Paperback

First published January 1, 2013

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Robin Jarvis

48 books222 followers
Robin Jarvis (born May 8, 1963) is a British children's novelist, who writes fantasy novels, often about anthropomorphic rodents and small mammals—especially mice—and Tudor times. A lot of his works are based in London, in and around Deptford and Greenwich where he used to live, or in Whitby.

His first novel—The Dark Portal, featuring the popular Deptford Mice—was the runner up for the Smarties book prize in 1989.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Profile Image for Raven.
179 reviews8 followers
December 25, 2013
December, 2012:
It's happening, you guys!
Robin Jarvis' official website has a banner that states 'HAGWOOD IS COMING', and the whole triology is in the process of being relaunched by another publisher. Dark Waters of Hagwood will be released in june 2013, and the last book, War in Hagwood, presumably will follow at the end of next year.

BEYOND EXITED!! I've been waiting for this for a decade!

May, 2013: It has a cover! It has a plot synopsis! IT'S ALIVE!!!
Ohmygod, I think I just peed a little, guys. I am so frickin' exited for this! (I am aware that this review has gotten slightly fangirly, and I do apologize for that - although in this particular case, I don't think you can blame me).

Also, it seems the final volume in the Hagwood trilogy, War in Hagwood, has an official release date: it'll be out on november 5th!

December, 2013: And now that I've read it? Well, it was certainly worth the 15-or-so year wait! 500 thousand stars!!
Profile Image for Matthew Hodge.
593 reviews21 followers
October 12, 2018
It has taken me a while to work out what it is I like about Robin Jarvis' books - especially his ones about small creatures, like we get with the werlings in Harwood. I've finally worked it out.

It's 80s hand-drawn animation. The whole thing is steeped in the visual aesthetic of hand-drawn animation from that decade, if animation had been allowed to go down a slightly darker path. To explain: nowadays when we think animated films, we think aimed for kids, computer-generated animation. It'll have cutesy characters, voiced by comedians, with one-liners and gags aplenty, obnoxiously noisy, with lots of the latest pop music.

But if you go back to the classic Disney animation of the 40s/50s/60s, when they were doing fairy tales, it was a completely different feel. The characters would be somewhat vulnerable and they'd face down against some almightily huge, dark and terrifying bad villain at the end, usually armed with some pretty nasty black magic.

So think of Maleficent turning into a dragon at the end of Sleeping Beauty. Think of the monstrous mountain demon at the end of Fantasia. In fact, the films that probably get closest in tone to a Jarvis book would be the Don Bluth mouse films of the 80s such as The Secret of NIMH and An American Tale (anyone remember the Giant Mouse of Minsk?).

Sadly, though, darker fantasy in animation (which clearly the animators loved) only seemed to work if you could sell it to parents as being part of a recognised fairy tale. The most famous example of this, of course, was Disney's legendary 80s flop The Black Cauldron. It was based on a somewhat dark series of novels by Lloyd Alexander, based on Welsh mythology and the original ending was so terrifying that children were fleeing the cinema where the test screening was held. The film got re-cut to tone it down but still didn't make its money back at the box office.

So, because of that, animation became more conservative and while a certain amount of scare and intensity is expected, it never really got much darker.

Which is where Robin Jarvis comes in. Whether he consciously or subconsciously acknowledges the influence of these films (but he does have a background as an animator/model-maker, so he wouldn't have missed them), if you know your animation, many things are instantly familiar. Flames that flare up and change colour when magic is in the air. Grotesque creatures with exaggerated movements and strange speech. Small innocent protagonists. Woods with long spindly branches. Spells that make good people look hideous and evil people look beautiful. Ferocious monsters with lots of sharp teeth. It's all there.

So, in short, I had a blast with this second Hagwood book. I didn't know where it was going for a couple of chapters, but once the theme of dark water became apparent, it was firing on all cylinders. There were the obligatory deaths of one or two characters, which we expect from Jarvis, but quite a number survived - which always leads me to suspect now that he's going to take them all out in Book 3 ...

It's violent, dark and magical stuff - so you might want to gauge the age of your young reader before they have a look at it - but the plot strands all came together beautifully, Book 3 is set up perfectly and - as you can judge by my long prologue - it caused this reader a great deal of nostalgia for the animation of the past.

Bring on the War in Hagwood, I say!
Profile Image for Ionia.
1,430 reviews63 followers
August 22, 2013
Do I love it? Why yes. Yes I do. Thank you for asking. I was excited to see Robin Jarvis' name on the cover and even more excited once I began reading this. With so much of fantasy recently being focused on more political type literature like GoT, it was nice to return to a world where the use of magic and silly, entertaining creatures was not a taboo.

I found this book to have a nice blend of humour, good storytelling and adventure. It was fun to learn about the different characters and there was shape shifting into squirrel form, (always a plus in my book.)

I think this book would be good for pretty much any age group. The story moves fast enough to hold your attention and there are enough little mysteries about what is going to happen to the characters to keep you from falling into a state of mental blah.

I really liked the character names as well. Rather than being too difficult to pronounce or remember, Robin Jarvis used names that are fun to say and read. I appreciated this as it kept me in the story rather than making me stop to try and figure out which character was which and how to say their names.

I would recommend this book to anyone. So much fun!

This review is based on a digital ARC from the publisher and Netgalley.
Profile Image for Judith.
343 reviews
August 2, 2013
Gamaliel Tumpin along with his sister and other werling friends continue their mission to free the forest of Hagwood from the cruel and enduring reign of the wicked High Lady of the Hollow Hill who tried to rid herself of them using her thorn ogres in the first book of this trilogy. Thrills and fearful happenings abound in this sequel and Robin Jarvis constantly has his readers chewing their nails worrying that his cute heroes will fail in their struggles and succumb to a grisly end at the hands of the evil Queen of the Unseelie court because each new chapter sees them stumble into further horrors with no foreseeable escape. Once more Jarvis weaves a tale of fabulous intensity which leaves his readers desperate for the next installment. What an amazing author he is! I cannot recommend this series highly enough and believe all schools should have copies of Jarvis' work as they surely entice reluctant readers to appreciate amazingly woven yarns!
Many thanks to Open Road Integrated Media and Netgalley for allowing me the privilege of reading this fabulous sequel to The Thorn Ogres of Hagwood.
Profile Image for J.A. Ironside.
Author 57 books309 followers
March 8, 2014
I was a tiny bit disappointed with this book. I enjoyed Thorn ogres so much that this seemed a bit loose and unfocused plot wise. There were so many fascinating strands - Mr Jarvis is an accomplished world builder after all - but the book didn't do them justice. Part of this must have been space; it's a short book intended for younger readers. But the issue for me was there being too many characters to really do any of them justice in such a slender volume.

And that was seriously the most frustrating ending ever! When I finish being annoyed I might even be pleased. I have to read the third book now! I hope it doesn't take as long as this one.

Gamaliel is an endearing character and I am even growing fonder of Kernella. I would like to see a bit more growth of character in all of them though. Gamaliel starts to become more competent and then seems to back slide. We want Gammy triumphant. And Finnen too!

Still worth a read, especially for younger fans of Robin Jarvis' work.
Displaying 1 - 7 of 7 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.