Start by marking “Trinity: A Graphic History of the First Atomic Bomb” as Want to Read:
Trinity: A Graphic History of the First Atomic Bomb

Trinity: A Graphic History of the First Atomic Bomb

"Succeeds as both a graphic primer and a philosophical meditation." —Kirkus Reviews (starred review)

Trinity, the debut graphic book by Jonathan Fetter-Vorm, depicts the dramatic history of the race to build and the decision to drop the first atomic bomb in World War Two. This sweeping historical narrative traces the spark of invention from the laboratories of nineteenth-ce
Published May 28th 2013 by Hill and Wang (first published June 5th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Trinity, please sign up.
Elisabeth Denisar I think that it would be golden for Middle School or High School. If you read Hiroshima by John Hersey, this would be an excellent intro piece for…moreI think that it would be golden for Middle School or High School. If you read Hiroshima by John Hersey, this would be an excellent intro piece for High School.(less)

Greta
Aug 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great scientific and historical overview of the making of the first atomic bombs and the decision to drop them on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
Well-written and well researched, with simple black and white drawings, this graphic novel was an informative and satisfactory read.
Now I need to find some uranium and plutonium to try this at home.

photo E509EB3E-9E7C-4BAC-97FE-E4741EAA57C7.jpg

photo 204122FF-3334-43F7-B84B-11ECDB2086B5.jpg

photo 46F95B10-E9A6-43CA-A450-1DBA6C031671.jpg
Lauren
More than a history of the atomic bomb, Trinity is also a primer on the physics and history behind nuclear fission, and simultaneously a social history of the Manhattan Project. Fetter-Vorm is a storyteller and an educator, seamlessly weaving the story of Oppenheimer and General Groves' collaborative project in the desert of New Mexico (not too far from where I grew up...) with the history of science.

One of the standout sections of the book for me was the countdown to the test explosion in Los
Trudie
I picked this graphic novel up purely because I needed a "book about technology" for a reading challenge, not a topic I naturally gravitate towards in my reading. I certainly don't think I would have come across this particular book without that nudge.

This is a fantastic discovery for me, the power of graphic novels to tell a story like this in a way that doesn't feel dumbed down, yet neither is it obfuscated in dry facts and dense prose. For readers who shy away from reading non-fiction I thin
Sheila
Sep 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Prior to this book I had never read a Graphic Novel. I will admit to even being a bit of a book snob, the type who thought Graphic Novels were just glorified comic books, and not real books. I read literature, I read 1000+ page classics. Graphic novels? Pshaw!

But this book has changed my opinion of Graphic Novels. I didn't know they could be this good. I didn't know they could be this emotional. I didn't know they could be this educational.

It could be that I am going through a reading binge on
Ryan Potter
Nov 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have two history degrees and have taught social studies for 19 years. I've become a huge fan of non-fiction graphic books and graphic novels the past few years because they draw in reluctant readers in my classroom. But here's the thing about TRINITY: the book is better than a lot of adult works on the subject, and I think it comes down to the riveting pictures and writing style of the author.

TRINITY is impeccably researched and does a splendid job of retelling the story of the Manhattan Proje
Farhana
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-books
a very good graphical history from the discovery of atoms to the first nuclear bomb (y)
Sesana
Sep 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really good, if quick, history of the development of the atomic bomb. I don't have much in the way of prior knowledge here, and you don't really need it. There are a few names that are casually thrown out without much, if any, explanation, but those moments were few and far between. The graphic format really works well with the scientific explanations for how and why the bomb works.
Vinayak Hegde
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Part science textbook and part historical documentary. The book is well researched overview of the science of building the first Atomic bomb and the historical circumstances that led to building it. The Manhattan project was started in the deserts of New Mexico (Los Alamos) and led by General Groves (Administration) and Robert Oppenheimer (Science).

The artwork is pretty good though not extraordinary but the given the scientific context it is quite dense with information (especially about nuclear
Ashley
I'd never read a graphic story/novel before, so I decided to start with a historical event I know well in order to see if this really is a format I could appreciate and learn from. I liked it more than I expected, though it did take me several tries to really get into it. Much to my surprise, I found that the graphic format required even more focus than usual; this was nothing at all like skimming the comics section. I have a lot more respect for the medium now. As far as the storytelling itself ...more
Jeff
Nov 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Inspired" by a breakfast with friends conversation, i decided to read this one now. I'm glad i read it.

I'm tempted to give Barefoot Gen another shot. And i'm tempted to read at least a couple books from Fetter-Vorm's lists of source material and further reading.
Holly
Jan 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-reads
Wonderful! Black-&-white drawings. An overview of the Manhattan Project (reminding readers of the roles of Oak Ridge, Univ of Chicago, UC-Berkeley, and Hanford), the science, the bomb drops on Japan, and the Cold War bomb testing. Only quibble is that the otherwise solid reading list at the back of the book doesn't cite Jennet Conant's excellent Los Alamos history, 109 East Palace.
Miroku Nemeth
The scientific explanations and a good portion of the history behind the creation of the atomic bomb are ingeniously rendered in graphic form. This is what earned it at least 3 stars. However, it sadly takes a turn into the worst kind of repetition of official government propaganda lines when it deals with Truman, Byrnes, and the decision to drop the bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Fetter-Vorm has military planners, for example, choose Hiroshima because it is a "military target". Nothing could ...more
Chris
This was absolutely fantastic. I've had a general idea of the history and the horrors of the atom bomb, but this went into detail in an informative and simple way. It briefly went over some history of war and it's escalation. It had a brief history on the build up to the science, chemistry, physics of how fission of an atom was discovered, how it works, and how it translates into a bomb. It was an info dump without feeling like an info dump. It was really well conveyed.

Then it goes on about some
Jessica
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jessica by: Abi Bechard
This was excellent. Explanations on how atomic bombs work without being too heady. A good view of the outcomes of these bombs vs. other terms of warfare that were being used at the time. A look into the moral aspect of "if we can" and "should we" without leaning too heavy one way or the other.

This is a great starter piece for this particular part of U.S. and World History.

I happened upon "Trinity" because a friend was reading it and when I looked closer it was referring to the site in which the
John
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picked this up at the book fair part of a conference. I've been thinking about how to integrate graphic novels into survey courses, and this seemed like a good candidate for that kind of thing. It was interesting to me how much Fetter-Vorm chose to concentrate on the science side of this. I don't feel like I got a lot of history of the race for the bomb, or of WWII, or the US in the 30s/40s. What I got was the science - how did these bombs work, and why were they so tricky to build? So for the f ...more
Gabrielle Matthews
This book was such an unexpected find for me! I picked it up on a whim because I felt a bit of nostalgia as I studied the Cold War in high school and I really loved it! The art was gorgeous and the story (albeit non-fiction) was so entertaining. Most of the science talk went straight over my head but it was well explained so I'm sure most people could understand it. A really accessible insight to such an important piece of history.
Akira
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was SoOoOoOo well done 😍😍😍! I got it from my local library but it’s so good that I MUST OWN it for my personal library 📚! This is definitely on my NEED list! It’s a non-fiction graphic novel but it has a kind of poetic essence mixed into it that makes it all the more next level and the artistry complements it perfectly. I loved it! 💗
Grace
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The author did a remarkable job explaining the chemistry, the political context, and the aftermath/guilt of the entire Manhattan Project. Start to finish. I learned so much from this book.
Chang
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very well-done short graphic history of the Trinity test (the first atomic bomb). It starts with the Curies' discovery of radioactivity, Szilard's letter to Roosevelt, some basic overview of the physics of atomic bombs, the Manhattan Project, and Hiroshima & Nagasaki.
Thomas Andrikus
Jun 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I came upon Trinity by Jonathan Fetter-Vorm and Michael Gallagher, I thought I was going to face all those clichés found in so many other books written on the topic of Atomic Bomb, such as the horrendous effects of bombs on the residents of Hiroshima, or how the Nevada testing site was picked in the first place. Apparently, this graphic novel has proven to be much more informative than that.

It shows how the Manhattan project was conceived by key players such as President Harry Truman, Gener
Joanna
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"All this work, whether it's lining up dominoes or enriching uranium, builds toward one single moment: the moment when what was once impossible becomes unavoidable. In that moment the logic of the chain reaction takes over. The fire will only stop when there is nothing left to burn."
-From Trinity, page 51

Trinity: A Graphic History of the First Atomic Bomb by Jonathan Fetter-Vorm is a graphic telling of how the bombs that were released over Hiroshima and Nagasaki were released. The story starts
Kathrin
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Very timely read that explains the political motivation for building the first atomic bomb, the technical side and also doesn't shy away from the aftermath.
Joella www.cinjoella.com
This book is a graphic novel about the first atomic bomb being made and used during WWII. I thought it was especially interesting to read this book seeing how Bomb: The Race to Build–and Steal–the World’s Most Dangerous Weapon by Steve Sheinkin was so good. And I think that comparing these two books would be perfect for a school class (especially one of those library school courses on Non-Fiction literature for children and teens). Just comparing similar information that is so well done in the t ...more
Rick Silva
Dec 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jonathan Fetter-Vorm relates a wide-ranging history of the development of the first nuclear weapons, beginning with the early discoveries of radioactivity and nuclear forces, through the Manhattan project, the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and the beginnings of the nuclear arms race.

This is an ambitious book, and Fetter-Vorm moves the narrative along at a rapid pace, sprinkling in enough physics and history to get the important concepts across. The focus characters are Robert Oppenheimer,
Becky B
Fetter-Vorm gives a broad overview of the Manhattan Project, the science related to the working of the bomb, and the main scientists and politicians involved in the development and deployment of the first atomic bombs.

Because of the incredibly broad scope of this book, it only skims the surface on some areas. The science of how the bomb works is probably the best aspect of this book. It does a really good job of breaking down nuclear fission in easy to understand text and drawings. This would be
Suzanne Moore
This scientific discovery, in the words of Robert Oppenheimer, "has altered, abruptly and profoundly, the nature of the world." If you understand chemistry this book explains exactly how to split an atom and what happens when you do. There are diagrams showing the formula for mixing plutonium and uranium. The chain reaction that comes from this fission is illustrated with a comparison to falling dominoes. I won't attempt to explain for you ... even with these excellent illustrations I would have ...more
Cyndi
Jul 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very educational graphic novel. I now have an understanding of of atomic energy, nuclear fission and the process by which the nuclear arms race was begun.

The simple black and white line drawings provide great background, while not detracting from the overall experience.

It touches on the affects, military, financial, humanity and moral, of the production and use of the Atomic bomb. It gives no small insight into the minds and lives of all involved. Lastly giving food for thought on the
Lucas Kelleher
Sep 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I've enjoyed plenty of graphic novels, Trinity is the first "graphic history" book I've read and I was greatly impressed by how well the medium can used to tell a true story. Jonathan Fetter-Vorm has really nailed it with this one, telling the science-fiction turned science-fact tale of the Manhattan Project and including both the necessary scientific explanations and geopolitical consequences. Bonus points from this reader for accurately highlighting the heinousness of the Allies firebomb ...more
Kate
A well-written and illustrated history of one of mankind's darkest times. At about 150 pages, it's a very quick read - though that doesn't make it any less harrowing. The lead-up to the creation of the first atomic bomb seems almost organic, the science pointing in that direction since Marie and Pierre Curie first discovered radioactivity; however, while scientific progress should be couched in optimism and benevolence, the backdrop of WWII gave this research a dark and dangerous air. The develo ...more
Jeimy
Feb 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book offers a brief, yet surprisingly comprehensive, description on how the first atomic bombs were conceived, manufactured, tested, and employed.It was interesting for me to read what the various scientists were hoping to accomplish and how the people involved felt after witnessing the annihilation of the the two Japanese cities where it was, essentially, field tested.

Since reading Rachel Maddow's Drift, I have been interested in the United States's atomic bomb arsenal. After reading this b
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Class of 2013: Book Review 3 9 Jun 13, 2013 01:07AM

• Annie Sullivan and the Trials of Helen Keller
  • Fallout: J. Robert Oppenheimer, Leo Szilard, and the Political Science of the Atomic Bomb
  • The Silence of Our Friends
  • War Brothers: The Graphic Novel
  • Alexander Hamilton: The Graphic History of an American Founding Father
  • Gaijin: American Prisoner of War
  • Marathon
Jonathan Fetter-Vorm is an author and illustrator. His first book, Trinity: A Graphic History of the First Atomic Bomb was selected by the American Library Association as a Best Graphic Novel for Teens in 2013. His Battle Lines: A Graphic History of the Civil War, co-authored with historian Ari Kelman, was published in May of 2015. His work has appeared in The New York Times, Slate, and Guernica. ...more
“The fire will only stop when there is nothing left to burn.” 0 likes