Start by marking “Empty Fridge” as Want to Read:
Empty Fridge

Empty Fridge

It seems everyone in Andrews block has been so busy during the day, theyve forgotten to buy anything for dinner. Their fridges are empty almost.

With only three carrots to eat, Andrew decides to go upstairs to ask his neighbour Nabil if hes got anything in his fridge. Nabils not doing much better: he only has two eggs and small piece of cheese. Together, they decide to try
Published July 1st 2012 by Wilkins Farago

To ask other readers questions about Empty Fridge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Empty Fridge

Start your review of Empty Fridge
Kaethe Douglas
Feb 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
In an updated version of the Stone Soup tale, the various inhabitants of the apartment building have only an item or two in the fridges, but together, they have enough to make supper. And, because they are French, they make something delicious.

I enjoyed the diverse inhabitants and the warmth of their interaction. I never found city life to be particularly alienating, but this does make for a good story. The odd format of the book plays up the height of the building, and the detailed line
paula
"There is general enthusiasm!"
Matt Sheffield
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-the-kids, 2018
I love this children's book for opening the heart and imagination to community, friendship and generosity.
Kat Harrison
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
"Empty Fridge" immediately stands out because of its more rectangular-than-most stature. Doremus' story tells the tale of an apartment building full of people who only have knick-knack ingredients for dinner (and let me tell you, three carrots does not a dinner make!). The text has real life and depth to it, and readers of all ages will even learn what a capsicum is! After finishing, I found myself wanting to read it again...but this time, with a slice of quiche to nosh on.
Liz Todd
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
More urban-modern version of Stone Soup. Simple, but some really sweet moments and just the right amount of "voice" that made me love this one. Example: "Claire offers to make a big mixed salad, but no-one is too hot on the idea because it's a bit cold today," or another sweet spot: "There is general enthusiasm! The whole team heads to the kitchen." :)
Mairead
LOVED. Interests (apartment living, community/generosity, food) and delightful (there is general enthusiasm). Note to self: make a to-buy goodreads list and add this to it. ...more
Lauren
People living in a 5 story apartment building have spent a busy day enjoying themselves. So much so, that they have forgotten to buy any food for dinner. As we move up the building, floor by floor, new food is found until the neighbors realize that together they can make a quiche. In the end, they notice many other apartment buildings are doing the same thing so that a big quiche party is started out in the streets and green areas.

While this is not a traditional tale, it pares will with Stone
Christine Turner
A quirky picture book that taps into strong themes in children's lives: the love of food and cooking, sharing, and the importance of good friends and neighbors. It seems everyone in Andrew's building has been so busy during the day, they've forgotten to buy anything for dinner. Their fridges are all empty--well almost. With only three carrots to eat, Andrew decides to go upstairs to ask his neighbor Nabil if he's got anything in his fridge. Nabil's not doing much better: he only has two eggs and ...more
Jim Erekson
So this was Stone Soup, reimagined for a European apartment building. Instead of the always-interesting deception with the stone, the vagrant actually has carrots... :-(
But the chain of ingredients builds one link at a time as people each borrow an ingredient from their next door neighbor. It's pretty transparent what will happen, but a few details are still surprising. There's an overall tone of individuality until the whole thing comes together in a communal recipe. And then the entire world
Heydi Smith
May 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-storytime
What a wonderful, inspiring book!

This book shows us what everyone needs to do. We need socialization. I really think that is one of today's societies scariest problems is that we don't know how to live together and interact. This book shows us the way.

While I find it implausible that all the people in all the surrounding buildings would have also forgotten to go shopping I think the sentiments are definitely worth sharing with everyone.
Jeremy West
Jan 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
French author, Gaetan Doremus, tells a brief yet beautifully illustrated encounter about coming together in light of a disaster...there's no food. Everyone has pieces but no true meal. As they knock on each person's door, they slowly gather ingredients and decide to make a delicious quiche. This splendid story shows what can be accomplished when strangers work together with a goal in mind. I loved it!
Angie
Jan 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Empty Fridge is the story of people coming together as strangers and becoming friends. The residents of an apartment building combine all their food for a feast. And it turns out everyone else is doing the same thing. It is a reminder to turn away from the technology that isolates us and find others around us. Beautifully written and illustrated with a great message for today's kids.
Michael
Aug 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
A good story of city apartment dwellers coming together as strangers and becoming friends, all because as individuals they have little to eat. Pooling their meager resources they come up with a wonderful dinner for all to share. Good line drawings on all pages in an over heightened book simulates a multilevel apartment and the people living in it.
Dec 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love how quirky and charming this book is! It is a lot like stone soup, but with quiche and set in France. Wouldn't work as well for young children because the language is pretty advanced (I'm still not sure what "capsicum" is). I do love the themes of sharing and community building and the use of color really adds to those.
Kristina Jean Lareau
Oct 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebook
A French Stone Soup, but very French. The line drawings are whimsical and plentiful and the portrait orientation emphasizes the different floors of the buildings and the "heights" the neighbors go through to become close through quiche!
Bethany
Oct 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Everyone in the building forgets to buy groceries so the community pulls together to figure out what to have for dinner tonight. Adaptation of "Stone Soup." Sophisticated language, charming humor. Classically British.
Eva Kelly
Sep 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Boy, you know, I really really loved the colors in this one! And I also liked that it wasn't about animals or babies or little kids or families, but it was about grownups in the city who were just friends and neighbors. There were hard words but it's ok. I'll learn to read them.
Elisabeth
Oct 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
I want to live in this apartment building! What a lovely little dream.
Miguel
Jun 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindergarten
My daughter asked to read it again, probably because the line drawn pictures have such detail.
Brindi Michele
Dec 18, 2013 rated it liked it
the illustrations are quite creative :)
Ietrio
Aug 29, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Weird communist utopia. The proletariat is good. So life is good. As long there aren't any bourgeois around.
Sara Grochowski
Sep 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
A great story about community and the joy of food bringing people together in collaboration and friendship.
Kathy
Feb 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
A French Stone Soup.
ISLN (Int'l School Library Network) Singapore
A story that starts with an empty refrigerator, and ends up involving a whole apartment building. (France - translation)
Rebecca Honeycutt
Suffered a bit in translation I think, though I enjoyed the communal-eating theme and the playful, sketchy art.
Garren
Dec 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Ama
A French variation of "Stone Soup".
stillme
Oct 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Kind of like a French Stone Soup.
Kendra
Nov 10, 2013 rated it liked it
What a lovely fantasy!
Meghan
Apr 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
A fun book about community and how it is often built out of necessity!

• Last Stop on Market Street
  • Feather
  • Burnout: The Secret to Unlocking the Stress Cycle
  • House of Dreams: The Life of L. M. Montgomery
  • You Learn by Living: Eleven Keys for a More Fulfilling Life
  • Bibliophile: An Illustrated Miscellany
  • Planting for Honeybees: The Grower's Guide to Creating a Buzz
  • America's Cheapest Family Gets You Right on the Money: Your Guide to Living Better, Spending Less, and Cashing in on Your Dreams
  • The Woman Who Smashed Codes: A True Story of Love, Spies, and the Unlikely Heroine who Outwitted America's Enemies
  • Let's Go Home: The Wonderful Things About a House
  • Silent Spring
  • Something That May Shock and Discredit You
  • The Loving Cup (Poldark, #10)
  • United Tastes of America: An Atlas of Food Facts & Recipes from Every State!
  • Lab Girl
  • Orange Is the New Black
  • A Couple Cooks - Pretty Simple Cooking: 100 Delicious Vegetarian Recipes to Make You Fall in Love with Real Food
  • Cosy: The British Art of Comfort