Start by marking “Computer: A History of the Information Machine” as Want to Read:
Computer: A History of the Information Machine

Computer: A History of the Information Machine

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  173 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Computer: A History of the Information Machine traces the history of the computer and shows how business and government were the first to explore its unlimited, information-processing potential. Old-fashioned entrepreneurship combined with scientific know-how inspired now famous computer engineers to create the technology that became IBM. Wartime needs drove the giant EN ...more
Published July 30th 2013 by Westview Press (first published July 11th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Computer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Computer

Artur Coelho
Aug 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Uma história concisa da evolução do computador, que não segue o caminho habitual do foco nalguns projectos icónicos e personalidades influentes. Mostra os enormes esforços de investigação aplicada quer em centros académicos quer empresariais que, de forma algo imprevista, deram origem ao mundo da computação como hoje o conhecemos. O ser conciso torna-o algo superficial, algo especialmente notório nos capítulos dedicados aos momentos mais recentes da evolução do computador - a massificação do sof ...more
Aaron Wolfson
A nice overview. The detail on pre-digital computing methods distinguishes this history, as does its impartiality and its focus on business developments. Lots of information on Charles Babbage, punched-card systems, electromechanical and analog systems, and IBM,.

Not very technical. It will explain very precisely how the computer came to be, not so much how it works.

Stops about 1997. The Internet is covered, but it's described as primarily an e-mail system. Obviously things have developed a bit s
Lars Jørgensen
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
The history part is great and full of interesting facts. The writing is scholarly and the book will be a bore unless you're interested in the subject beforehand. If you are, though, you will really enjoy it.

The final part (of four, if I remember correctly) of the book deals with the rise of the Internet and that is clearly not of the same quality as the rest. The direction is haphazard and the objective is unclear.
Jonathan Torrens
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: technology
Brisk but fascinating review of how concepts of modern computer science evolved from simple 18th century mechanical calculators into the devices we possess today. Presents the major intellectual, technical, commercial, and political - interests and personalities - that drove the evolution of modern computer technology. Should be required reading in schools. Evokes a sense of awe and endless possibility. As with most topics of historical import, it is best to understand where we came from in orde ...more
Timothy
Feb 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This clear and engaging book traces the history of the computer as far back as its 19th-century conceptual origins. By devoting so much space to the connections between digital computers and related technology, the authors manage to situate the computer within a clearly defined social and scientific context. The book loses some of its focus as it reaches the Internet era, which is probably harder to examine from a historical perspective. But overall, it is an excellent introduction to the subjec ...more
Alex
Apr 25, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: technology
This book gives a decent overview of the history of computing. The authors have found room to illustrate important turns in history with amusing anecdotes. It does not deliver on its promises though, skimming over the importance of the early hypertext pioneers (Ted Nelson and Doug Engelbart) for personal computing, and omitting the development of open-source software altogether.
Eric
Dec 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating history of the development of computer technology. The only downside is that it was published in the mid-90s, so the story stops before so many of the amazing technologies of the last 15 years came about.
Michael
Decent effort, covers the history of computing up to early 2000s. The political statement at the end of the book should have been avoided, imho, as it's neither properly justified, nor does it fall within the scope of the book.
Jonathan Deschaines
I think the book was good and helped me a lot through my senior project. I don't usually read historical books but this was the exception. The book was very informative but not enough to base my whole project on.
Brendan  McAuliffe
Didn't read much of this , all stuff you've hear before
Readerrunner
Feb 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-read
Great book. I feel that I have a much better understanding of the computers.
Rod Zemke
May 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed as I am very interested in the evolution of the computer.
Sridhar Jammalamadaka
Brilliantly narrated history of the Computer.
Mills College Library
004 C1888 2014
Peter Mcloughlin
Very short history gives a balanced but skeletal history of computers, computing and the internet. None of the juicy stories here just a fairly sober if dry treatment.
Kevin Furr
Somewhat dry but broad history of computers.
Onedio
I'm writing my thesis about software piracy and security so i really need to read a lot of books... A lot... Thanks for sharing those tons of books... Certainly you are helping a tons os people...
Alain van Hoof
A very good overview with facts that add to the understanding of the history of computing.
Mike Kokko
Jun 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was probably the first "tech history" book I read - required reading as a freshman engineer at RPI in 2001 - and it got me hooked.
Cameron Sung
Very informative, but boring at times.
Yibin
Aug 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book changes my life and my perception of my subject.
John
cesar
Apr 02, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • A History of Modern Computing
  • What are the Seven Wonders of the World?: And 100 Other Great Cultural Lists--Fully Explicated
  • The Physics of War: From Arrows to Atoms
  • The Things That Nobody Knows: 501 Mysteries of Life, the Universe and Everything
  • Death and the Afterlife: A Chronological Journey, from Cremation to Quantum Resurrection
  • Crystal Fire: The Invention of the Transistor and the Birth of the Information Age
  • What the Dormouse Said: How the Sixties Counterculture Shaped the Personal Computer Industry
  • Cosmosapiens: Human Evolution from the Origin of the Universe
  • Masters of the Word: How Media Shaped History from the Alphabet to the Internet
  • Droidmaker: George Lucas and the Digital Revolution
  • The Supermen: The Story of Seymour Cray and the Technical Wizards Behind the Supercomputer
  • The Naked Future: What Happens in a World That Anticipates Your Every Move?
  • The Daily You: How the New Advertising Industry Is Defining Your Identity and Your Worth
  • The Lost Art of Finding Our Way
  • The Axemaker's Gift
  • Chaos and Fractals: New Frontiers of Science
  • Empire of Things: How We Became a World of Consumers, from the Fifteenth Century to the Twenty-First
  • The Space Book: From the Beginning to the End of Time, 250 Milestones in the History of Space  Astronomy

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

$7.99 $1.99
    $27.99 $2.99
  • Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Dakota: A Spiritual Geography (Dakotas)
  • Restless: Because You Were Made for More
    $10.74 $1.99
  • The Beauty Myth: How Images of Beauty Are Used Against Women
    $14.99 $2.99
    $18.99 $1.99
  • The God Particle: If the Universe Is the Answer, What Is the Question?
  • The Wright Brothers
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Edgar Allan Poe: The Fever Called Living
  • The Road to Jonestown: Jim Jones and Peoples Temple
    $12.99 $2.99
“By June 1949 people had begun to realize that it was not so easy to get a program right as had at one time appeared. I well remember when this realization first came on me with full force. The EDSAC was on the top floor of the building and the tape-punching and editing equipment one floor below on a gallery that ran round the room in which the differential analyzer was installed. I was trying to get working my first non-trivial program, which was one for the numerical integration of Airy’s differential equation. It was on one of my journeys between the EDSAC room and the punching equipment that “hesitating at the angles of stairs” the realization came over me with full force that a good part of the remainder of my life was going to be spent in finding errors in my own programs.” 0 likes