Start by marking “Getting Started with Raspberry Pi” as Want to Read:
Getting Started with Raspberry Pi

Getting Started with Raspberry Pi

What can you do with the Raspberry Pi, a $35 computer the size of a credit card? All sorts of things! If you’re learning how to program, or looking to build new electronic projects, this hands-on guide will show you just how valuable this flexible little platform can be.

This book takes you step-by-step through many fun and educational possibilities. Take advantage of sever
Published December 31st 2012 by O'Reilly Media (first published November 22nd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Getting Started with Raspberry Pi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Getting Started with Raspberry Pi

Start your review of Getting Started with Raspberry Pi
Manuel Antão
Feb 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
If you're into stuff like this, you can read the full review.

Good introduction to the Pi, but it lacked some unity.

I tried most of the examples in the book, namely the web server bits to see what came out of it. One of the projects that had been on my mind lately was on how to "build a cheap laptop." For that I had to wait to buy some hardware parts, namely a 7” Color TFT Car Monitor (480 x 272 pixels).

After lots of tweaking I successfully got an output from the Raspberry Pi. Although the video
Matt Heavner
Apr 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
As I reflect, this was a surprisingly good "getting started" book -- a good mix of depth and breadth. Actually a great python and Linux intro as well as hardware, installation, options, etc.! Not the final word at all, but just right for a "getting started."
Eric Mesa
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: electronics
This is a really GREAT book that, more than some of the other books with the same title, is about Getting Started with electronics; the Raspberry Pi, in this case. The author does a REALLY GOOD job explaining the basics of getting started with the Pi, the basics of Linux, and a bunch of ways to use the electronics part of a Raspberry Pi with some fun real world examples. (Controlling a lamp over the net or making a Photobooth that can automatically add mustaches, hats, etc) If I'd had this book ...more
Foad Ansari
Jun 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
بهترین کتاب برای شروع کار با رسپبری پای
Jeanne Boyarsky
Feb 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: technology
O'Reilly's “Getting Started with Raspberry Pi” is a really great book. I don't know where to start so here's a list of things I liked.

From Make:Projects which is very practical
Starts out strong – each part of the Pi and what you need to use it
Good tips – how to connect via wifi and without internet
Nice troubleshooting section
Practical examples from a “hello world with leds” program to building a web-lamp
A whole chapter on webcams. [This is the project we wanted it for]
Coverage of basic Linux, Py
Dave Peticolas
May 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
A short but pretty decent introduction to the Raspberry Pi. The book is best suited for complete beginners, but there are still some helpful tips for those with plenty of software experience. I got a free Raspberry Pi at both PyCon and the Erlang Factory.

I also attended a great workshop run by Omer Kilic of Embedded Erlang that included a free expansion board with LEDs, buttons, switches, and a temperature sensor. They are about to release an Erlang-based embedded development environment.
Alexis Bauer Kolak
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Now I just need to take the actual device out of the box....

Seems like a straightforward primer, but a chapter or two at the front with more of the basic syntax would have been great.
Robert J Reynolds
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm not the target audience (EE w/ 15 years software dev experience), but it's a good introduction, and I got a good idea or two from it.
Benjamin
Dec 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Good warmup, but really need a more complete primer on Python to get started with Raspberry Pi.
Cloay
Jul 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: it, nlb-sg
- available in SG NLB 004.165 (Sengkang)
Alistair Young
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
A good primer/starter guide, mostly aimed at beginners but useful for those with experience, too, in exposing those specific areas worth digging into.
Muhammad Dzakiy
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good enough for getting started in Raspberry Pi. It covers the basics of physical computing & electronics and the basics of Debian and phyton. ...more
Joseph II
Feb 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great introduction to Raspberry Pi. A little bit cheaper than the "Rasp Pi" magazines you can get at the bookstore, but just as informative.

The Make: series is very good about telling you what you need to do to "get started." There's not a lot of fluff, or distractions for novices.

Only con for this book: since Rasp Pi has changed in the last few years, I believe it has gone through two or three editions quickly. Unknown if the information on edition 1 has gone irrelevant, or if its just minor t
Gabe Poon
May 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A useful book describing the setup process and basic applications for the Raspberry Pi. It also includes basic programming, such as Python, and even has a list of recommended reading for going further. It teaches you which peripherals to use for the Pi and how to attach them. If I had one complaint, it would be that unless you have those very specific peripherals, you will have to skip some projects. That aside, it is a great beginner's book.
Bethany
Easy to read, easy to follow instructions on the most useful tasks of setting up and using a Raspberry Pi. I deducted one star because of the frequent editorial slip ups- it would have been good if those had been combed out before the publication of the book, especially since there are large examples of code to be copied, and typos in code are hard to detect. O'reilly has a confirm errata page here: http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/errata... ...more
Toby
Feb 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: making
A good basic primer to get you acquainted with RPi. A fair amount of the book is setting up and getting started, which is good. There is considerable space dedicated to acquainting you with Linux if you have never used it.

All in all, a great primer, but if you really want to get a project done, you will need additional resources. If you know a lot about linux, networking etc, you will be able to skim the book for the good bits.
David
May 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As with all the "Make" books I've read, they are best used with the actual hardware. I read this book as an intro to the raspberry pi - before acquiring any hardware. It was useful, though I skimmed the code examples since I had nothing to try them on. I'm looking forward to going through it again with hardware.
Slackorama
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Small book that packs a good deal of information.

It's aimed at the total beginner and covers Raspberry Pi, Linux, Python, C and some GPIO. None of the chapters are too in depth so if you are familiar with the topic, there's not anything new there for you.
Skyler Spaeth
May 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book, and had a lot of cool projects. My favorite was the weblamp, which allows me to control a lamp from my local network.
Yogesh Pandey
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Gives a good overview of the different things you can do with the Pi. Most importantly very inexpensive book.
Richard
This book can safely be called "concise", but it's a good intro to the Pi and contains a decent amount of information for its size.
Jason
Jan 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Good introduction. Answers from beginner questions. Assumes you want to do things one way and then tells you how to do it. Last half of book less useful than first half.
Dan Deng
May 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Nice, concise introduction to the basic features of the RPi. Recommended first read about the platform.
Patrick
Feb 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-hard-copy
Great introduction. My only "downside" is that unless the reader has some very specific hardware, they have to skip chapters.

Still a great intro.
Mills College Library
004.1 R5242 2013
Kyle
Dec 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
A good introduction to some cool projects for the Pi. Well written, engaging and easy examples. Also a good introduction to the maker culture in general.
Arvid
Jun 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Quick introduction to the Pi. If you can code you can skip explanations of single code lines but if not you aren't lost.
Delhi Irc
Location: GG7 IRC
Accession no: DL026857
Kevin Lang
Mar 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good starter book. You will want something more in depth to get into the really cool stuff. But a very good start in this book!
Ellena Lawrence
Jan 30, 2015

• Getting Started with Arduino
  • Make: Bluetooth: Mobile Phone, Arduino, and Raspberry Pi Projects with Ble
  • Beginning Portable Shell Scripting: From Novice to Professional
  • Making Things Talk: Practical Methods for Connecting Physical Objects
  • The Singularity is Near: When Humans Transcend Biology
  • Programming the Raspberry Pi: Getting Started with Python
  • Make: LEGO and Arduino Projects: Projects for extending MINDSTORMS NXT with open-source electronics
  • Zero to Maker: Learn (Just Enough) to Make (Just About) Anything
  • Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (Scary Stories, #1)
  • Forrest Mims' Science Experiments: DIY Projects from the Pages of Make:
  • Thinking in Bets: Making Smarter Decisions When You Don't Have All the Facts
  • JavaScript Robotics: Building Nodebots with Johnny-Five, Raspberry Pi, Arduino, and Beaglebone
  • Make: Paper Inventions
  • MintDuino: Building an Arduino-compatible Breadboard Microcontroller
  • Make It Glow: LED Projects for the Whole Family
  • Making Things See: 3D Vision with Kinect, Processing, Arduino, and Makerbot
  • The Makerspace Workbench: Tools, Technologies, and Techniques for Making
  • Make: Getting Started with Sensors: Measure the World with Electronics, Arduino, and Raspberry Pi

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »