Start by marking “The Grimm Chronicles Vol. 1 (The Grimm Chronicles #1-3)” as Want to Read:
The Grimm Chronicles Vol. 1 (The Grimm Chronicles #1-3)

The Grimm Chronicles Vol. 1 (The Grimm Chronicles #1-3)

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  750 Ratings  ·  117 Reviews
200 years ago, the Brothers Grimm unleashed their stories upon the world. Literally. Now the characters of the Grimms’ stories walk among us. With every day that passes, they grow more evil. They are the Corrupted, and only a hero can stop them.

For 18-year-old Alice Goodenough, that means taking precious time off from her summer vacation. In addition to volunteering at the
Published August 3rd 2012 by Brew City Press

To ask other readers questions about The Grimm Chronicles Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Grimm Chronicles Vol. 1

CCAM&GZM
Jan 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
“Life isn’t a fairy tale. It has a lot of ups and downs.”

I was very curious how Chronicles it will be because I didn’t met too many successful sequels or retellings written by another author. It takes inspiration, enough originality to not succumb to the original. I think that Isabella Fontaine and Ken Brosky took great courage to start this adventure. Seem that they have succeeded. Grimm Chronicles are not a retelling of their works, but a starting point that is (re) reminded to you through the
Maraya21 (The Reading Dragon)
Finally done.. Review to come!
Jen
Jun 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Fairy tales...again. Do I need to say it? I'm going to say it. I will read ANYTHING fairy tale related. Just try to stop me.

To read this, and other book reviews, visit my website:http://jenpaul13.wix.com/makinggoodst....

Okay, so in Isabella Fontaine and Ken Brosky's The Grimm Chronicles (Vol. 1), we have Alice in her own little "wonderland" with a giant talking rabbit as she battles against the Grimm's characters that have corrupted. Once we get into the daily grind of Alice going through typic
Karen
Sep 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-tour
Part of the online book tour . Also posted on my blog :

Ahh~~ I just love fairytale retellings! They're so much fun to read about. I don't think I've ever read a fairytale retelling yet (knock on wood) that I haven't liked! The Grimm Chronicles is definitely included. It started off a bit slow but once Alice meets the rabbit and the story sets in- it's such a wonderful adventure!

We follow Alice Goodenough- who is an 18 year old senior in school. She's p
Space Out With Sci Fi in June The Haunted Reading Room
Review written, will be posted on Thursday Sept. 13 when I post the blog tour post.

Review of The Grimm Chronicles Vol. 1
Reviewed for Innovative Online Book Tours

How could I not love a heroine who reads in spare moments, values books so highly, and considers a summer volunteer position at the town library a super-job? I feel as if the co-authors wrote my interests!

Two centuries ago the Brothers Grimm wrote fairy tales, but in this version, one of the brothers used magical paper (and black magic
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
Mar 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
The characters from the Grimm Brothers have come to life by the use of a magic manuscript. Over time the heros of the stories have become corrupted. They are a threat to the human race. A hero is created to correct the mistake of the Grimm Brothers. There have been many hero's throughout time. It is not Alice's turn to be the hero.

Alice is in high school and volunteers at the library. She is not the the person that comes to mind when you think of a hero. However, she rises to the occasion and pe
Dawn
Apr 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is a great read for young adults and teens. The story line is well written and easy to follow. The character development was well thought out and they're very relatable.
Kiri Mccurdy
Jan 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Only read the sample. Loved the premise of this and some of the world building but find the battles anticlimactic and the character uninteresting and 2 dimensional
Beth Wilson
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great story line!

I loved the plot in this book. I love that there are more books to read in this series! I’m on my way to read #2!
Phyllis
Different

This is an Interesting take on Grimm's. stories. I'm not interested in reading any more in this series at this time though.
Michelle
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Good book

You people should just read this book yourselves and write your own review on this novel yourself and I really enjoyed reading this book very much so. Shelley MA
Raina {The LUV'NV}
The Grimm Chronicles Vol. 1 was one of those delightful little books I wanted to hug after I finished reading. And it had nothing to do with the fact that it takes place in New Berlin, Wisconsin, just a few blocks from where I live. Okay, it was pretty neat to read and know every little street and place mentioned, especially since books set in little-town WI is rare, but that wasn't what made this book special.

The Grimm Chronicles Vol. 1 combines three short stories, a few lost diary ent
Beckie
Originally posted @ Bittersweet Enchantment

Like most children we grew up hearing fairy tales read by our Mom or Dad or other family. We wish we could jump into stories like Cinderella or Snow White and be saved by the handsome prince. Deep down we believed they were real and someday our prince will come. But what if the very stories we love to read are in fact REAL!

Once upon a Time.... there was a girl named Alice. Alice loves to read, she volunteers at her local library, and is dating a "to go
Aliaa El-Nashar
Sep 20, 2012 rated it liked it
My automatic response to this book when I saw it on 'Innovative Online Book Tours' was Oh my God I have to read this! It seriously was. I am a huge fan of fairytales and retelling of them. Not to mention the twists and turns along the way. Why else would I be a huge fan of 'Once Upon A Time', 'Grimm' and 'Cinder'? They're retelling with twists and turns of beloved fairytales. So yes, I requested to be a part of this tour and loved it.

Alright so, the title was alright, since it's another retellin
Ruth Hill
Mar 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013-reads
In the past several months, I have read several books based on fairy tales. While I am not an true fan of fantasy fiction, I have often been pleasantly surprised at the ingenuity of fiction based on Grimm fairy tales on the like. And this is another such book that puts forth a similar idea--what if the Grimm fairy tales were real? What is the Grimm brothers had magic? The premise of the book is intriguing. The actual writing of the book, the characterization, and even the details in the book are ...more
Heather
Feb 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I’ve always loved my fairy tales. It’s something I’ve seen intensified somewhat recently. I can’t help but wonder whether ABC’s Once Upon a Time and NBC’s Grimm have something to do with it. Both are fantastic – and amazingly different – shows centered on fairy tales. Anywho … I signed up for this tour because, well, again, I love fairy tales. This sounded intriguing, and I’ve found that I’ve enjoyed many of the recent fairy tale retellings.

The Grimm Chronicles Vol. 1 by Isabella Fontaine and Ke
Michelle
Aug 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
** I was given this eBook by the authors for a fair and honest review.

"The fairy tale characters, they started getting downright troublesome. And I'm not just talking about the big bad wolf, either. I'm talking about all of them. Rapunzel. Cinderella. Prince Charming. The old Miller. Bad things were happening and everyone was getting scared."
Loc 905 The Grimm Chronicles

I've always loved fairy tales for as long as I can remember and now it seems they are coming back in our movies and our televisi
Bonnie (A Backwards Story)
To keep things as spoiler-free as possible (which is hard when you consider the fact that the first two volumes ofThe Grimm Chronicles spans 6 of the 12 novellas making up the series), the series revolves around Alice, a girl who finds out that she's a hero. A hero is someone who comes along once in a generation (this reminds me of the way the Slayer is constantly reborn in Buffy the Vampire Slayer) and is gifted with a magic pen and the ability to rid the world of fairy tale creatures gone wron ...more
Carrie
Jan 31, 2013 rated it really liked it

I love fairy tales. I especially love the latest interpretations of the various fairy tales that have come out lately. From shows like Grimm and Once Upon A Time to all the novels that take an aspect of a fairy tale character and twist it a new way, I love them.

So I was intrigued by Isabelle Fontaine & Ken Brosky’s The Grimm Chronicles. What if all the creatures in The Brothers Grimm stories were real? What if they slowly became evil and had to be destroyed to save mankind?

This is the premis
Gaele
Aug 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
I was given an eBook from the authors for purpose of honest review. I was not compensated for the review, and all conclusions are my own responsibility.

Let’s start with the simple things. There are two ways to read this book. Since the authors have very kindly footnoted the stories with the actual Grimm’s Faerie Tales, you can read the story when the endnote appears, and refresh your memory about the original stories. And lest you think you ‘know’ the faerie tales – Grimm’s tales are not the ma
Beccie
Sep 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed, favorites
Brew City Press asked me to read and review “The Grimm Chronicles: Volume 1” by Isabella Fontaine and Ken Brosky. This volume contains the first 3 episodes of the series; “Prince Charming Must Die”, “Happily Never After” and “Revenge of the Castle Cats” plus a couple lost diary entries, an interview with the creators and the original Grimm tales for reference. Let me start by saying I love the Grimm’s fairy tales. They are so much better than any of the politically correct, let’s all be nice, mu ...more
Briana
Jan 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Source: ARC from the authors in exchange for an honest review

Review: The Grimm Chronicles, as a book that draws its inspiration from the Grimm Brothers’ fairy tales, has a lot to say on the subject of stories. But Fontaine and Brosky are not just all theoretical talk. They tell an amazing story themselves.

Alice is the perfect heroine to star in this book. She is smart, confident, and strong—a great role model for readers and a believable hero to take on the Corrupted running amok in our world. A
Tammy Dahle
Oct 22, 2012 rated it liked it
My Thoughts:
There is nothing I love more than a twist on a classic fairy tale. It seems like the Grimm Brothers are getting some respect lately.
Volume 1 of the Grimm Chronicles contains 3 episodes in Alice Goodenough's life. Each episode contains a character and back story from a Grimm Brother's tale-Prince Charming, Cinderella, and the Seven Dwarfs.
Alice is a normal teenager living a pretty average life-she goes to high school, hangs out with her cute boyfriend, has dorky parents, etc. It all
The Book Tart
Sep 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Originally posted on The Book Tart http://thebooktart.com/book-review/th...
Read by La Revenant, one of The Queen of Tart's Court of Reviews :)

Fairy tales, we have all grown up knowing the Disney versions with the “happily ever after” endings, but, if you go back to the original stories written by the Brothers Grimm you would see that these tales were not so happy and were much darker and more intense then what you have recently read or watched on the television.

In The Grimm Chronicles, Vol. 1, t
Amy_Read to My Heart's Content

The Brothers Grimm fables are so fun to read and then to have someone elaborate on them and make them into something so much more was very enjoyable for me. Alice, our lead character, is tough but with this really naive side to her that is heartwarming. I like the fact that she isn't all gun ho on killing a lot of bad guys, and instead tries to think through each situation, trying to determine if they should really die. Alice is truly a great female protag
Christy
Jan 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
I am a huge fan of all things Grimm! I love fairy tales, love Once Upon a Time, and Grimm on television :) So when I saw that I'm a Reader, Not a Writer was doing this blog tour, I gladly signed up to do a review! The Grimm Chronicles Volume One explores the Brothers Grimm stories in a unique and totally awesome way.

The first story introduces us to Alice, a kick butt heroine who happens to have the ability to sense the corrupted, fairy tale characters in our land. She has no clue that she has t
Ciska
Jan 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
*Disclaimer: I received a free copy in return for an honest review*

Author
Ken Brosky was born in Milwaukee. He has a bachelor's degree in creative writing from the University of Wisconsin and a Master's degree in writing from the University of Nebraska. His first novel was published in fall 2007. He has more than a dozen short stories published in magazines including Skyline and World Audience.
Isabella Fontaine lives in Winsconsin with her cats. The Grimm Chronicles is her first book.

Review
When I
Stephanie Cover2CoverBlog
Jan 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, kindle-library
Background: Alice is a normal 18 year old, finishing school, getting a volunteer spot at the local library, when she discovers she is the next hero. Her mission is to kill the Corrupted, or the characters from all the famous Fairy Tales that have lived past their stories and have become evil. This is all a bit strange, but what makes it even weirder is her helper, Briar, a giant talking rabbit...
To top it all off, only she can see the rabbit and the strange glowing coming from the Corrupted.

Revi
Vonnie
Sep 29, 2013 rated it really liked it

This was a fun read! I've always been a lover of fairy tales and I greatly enjoy reading different twists on these tales. The first three books from the Grimm Chronicles did not disappoint.

The idea that almost all of the Grimm fairy tale characters have been brought to life sounds very exciting. What I really enjoyed about this idea is that the authors give it a dose of reality. So what really happens after the happily ever after? These characters were written to explain a small story;
**✿❀ Maki ❀✿**
It's no secret that I adore fairy tales.

Reading the description of this book, my first thought was that it was going to be something like that one NBC show, Grimm. Well...it was, but it wasn't.

For starters, I like the premise. It explores what happens to a fairy tale character after the story ends, when the character is left in a world that doesn't work by the rules their lives used to be governed by. All of the Corrupted in these books so far (I read a copy with the first three books all togeth
  • The Grimm Chronicles, Vol. 2
  • First Frost (Frost, #1)
  • Grimm End
  • Daisy: Between a Rock and a Hard Place
  • The Doorknob Society (The Doorknob Society, #1)
  • The Game
  • Island of Fog (Island of Fog, #1)
  • Something Witchy (Mystics & Mayhem #1)
  • Captain James Hook and the Curse of Peter Pan
  • The Deliverer (The Marenon Chronicles, #1)
  • A Place Beyond The Map
  • Gracier
  • The Protectors Christmas Box Set
  • Lost (Cinderella's Secret Diary, #1)
  • Scarlette: A Gothic Folktale
  • Once Upon a Time is Now (The Grimm Curse #1)
  • Dying to Run
  • Reaper's Novice (Soul Collector, #1)

The Grimm Chronicles (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Prince Charming Must Die (The Grimm Chronicles #1)
  • Happily Never After (The Grimm Chronicles #2)
  • Revenge of the Castle Cats (The Grimm Chronicles #3)
  • The Orphanage of Doom (The Grimm Chronicles #4)
  • Blood and Thunder (The Grimm Chronicles #5)
  • The Order of the Golden Dragon (The Grimm Chronicles #6)
  • The Giant Slayer (The Grimm Chronicles #7)
  • Darkness Rising (The Grimm Chronicles #8)
  • Malevolence (The Grimm Chronicles #9)
  • The Black Towers (The Grimm Chronicles #10)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy #1)
  • Otherkin
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
“People don’t read as much anymore. That’s why they’re so stupid.” 8 likes