Start by marking “Between (The Between, #1)” as Want to Read:
Between (The Between, #1)

Between (The Between #1)

Vivian Maylor can't sleep. Maybe it's because she just broke up with her boyfriend and moved to a new town, or it could be the stress of her new job at the hospital. But perhaps it's because her dreams have started to bleed through into her waking hours.

All of her life Vivian has rejected her mother's insane ramblings about Dreamworlds for concrete science and fact, until
Mass Market Paperback, 294 pages
Published January 29th 2013 by Ace

To ask other readers questions about Between, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Between

Mara
Between is a truly unique Fantasy, set mostly in a world between the dreams and reality. The author does a wonderful job in creating both the dream land and the in between. I read she is a mental health counsellor and I can totally believe it.

Did I like the book? Here comes the difficulty. I realize this is really good and probably deserves the 5 glowing stars that ATUF has given. Unfortunately I couldn't find any real pleasure in reading it.

Partly because it's really set in dreamland and you f
Katie Michaels
Feb 09, 2013 Katie Michaels rated it it was ok
This book was a hot mess. I hate to be so unkind, but it's just the truth. The premise sounded great. Hell, there's a dragon on the cover. I love dragons. But it was just a disaster.

OK. The book started out as advertised. We're even introduced to a sexy potential love interest. Not only does Vivian recognize Zee from her dreams, the enigmatic bookstore owner recognizes her the same way. In fact, he's been painting her image for years. There's a mysterious, villainous woman who is trying to steal
Susan Spann
Dec 07, 2012 Susan Spann rated it it was amazing
Kerry Schafer's BETWEEN offers a new and exciting take on fantasy fiction, with an intricate plot and rapid pacing that keeps the pages turning from start to finish. From the moment a teenager shows up in a small-town E.R. with dragon-inflicted burns to the exciting (and literally world-shattering) final scenes, BETWEEN combines humor, action, and an unusual take on fantasy themes.

One issue I've had with a lot of modern fantasy is the tendency to re-work traditional themes in expected ways. Kerr
Kt
Dec 17, 2012 Kt rated it it was ok
Review originally posted on my blog: A Book Obsession..

Going without sleep isn't the smartest choice for an ER doctor, but closing her eyes isn't an option for Vivian Maylor. Whenever she sleeps, the dreaming world starts to seep into her waking one, making horrific things a reality. She's terrified that she's following her insane mother's footsteps. But all of that changes when a patient starts screaming about Dragons and then literally turns to ash before her eyes. She realizes that her dreams
Kelly
Jan 09, 2013 Kelly rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
I hate to give a DNF review to Between by Kerry Schafer. I love finding new authors to read, the cover art is pretty (check out the subtle scales on her shoulder!), and the premise sounded great. Unfortunately, I only got about halfway through the book before setting it aside.

Schafer’s heroine, Vivian, has always had strange dreams, and now those dreams are affecting reality, for her and everyone around her. She’s an ER doctor, and one of her patients dies after an attack by dragons — dragons th
Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog)
This review was posted at Under the Covers

“Oh my! Look at the pretty cover!” Yes, I have the attention span of a kitten sometimes and it takes something like this beautiful cover to catch my eye. And although I think it’s beautiful and eye catching, I think it may be just a tad misleading. First because I thought this was a young adult book (that’s what the cover looks like) and it’s not. Then I’ve seen this book classified as urban fantasy, which technically is, and it really didn’t get there f
Torzilla
Jan 16, 2013 Torzilla rated it did not like it
Shelves: reviewed
Ever read a book that's left you scratching your head, wondering what you just read? BETWEEN is all that, and so much more. I feel like my review is going to sound confused at best. If it does, that is because this book left me so bewildered I still don't understand half of what I read one week later.

It started off well enough. There was an interesting heroine, an interesting back story, and the pacing was nice and even. Then we meet the hero(?) of the book, and things started to get a little tr
Julia
Jan 25, 2013 Julia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, fiction, urban, arcs
Dreams can be a tricky sort of magic. So much of their power is plugged directly into the disorientation and internal logic of the dreamer, reading any sort of narrative built on top of that fluid and arbitrary base can be alienating. Kerry Schafer, however, takes the best of the mystery and humor of a dream state to enrich the mechanics of magic in her world. I laughed, my heart raced, and I finished BETWEEN more than a little bit in love with Schafer, Vivian, and a penguin named Poe.

I spent aw
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Objectively,his book really deserves more than 2 stars, but two stars means it was ok, and that's all it was for me. I like my urban fantasy a bit more straightforward and Between is more fantasy than anything else. Unfortunately, it just wasn't for me.
Full review to come.
Tabitha (Pabkins)
Dragons, Dreams and an evil sorceress. All this and more is in store for readers when they pick up Between.

With a fascinating premise and promising start I was pulled right in to this story. There was mystery, and a touch of madness and death, so how could my interest not be peaked?

Vivian recently relocated to a small town and is now a local emergency room doctor. But she can't escape the feeling of responsibility towards her mother who has always been unstable and is now in a care home.

She has
Noortje de Graaff
Nov 08, 2012 Noortje de Graaff rated it it was amazing
Definitely one of the most interesting fantasy books I have read in a long while—in a very good way.
As someone who loves readying fantasy I know the genre pretty well and I have never come across something quite like this. The story was compelling, surprising, rather horrifying and positively gruesome at times and lots of fun to read.

Dragons, dreams, princes, evil Queens, magic, warriors—Between has it all. The story stars with our heroin, Vivian who is working a shift at the E.R. when a teenag
Ara Grigorian
Jan 28, 2013 Ara Grigorian rated it it was amazing
Complete Review on blog: http://www.arathewriter.com/2013/01/b...

Kerry Schafer's debut fantasy novel, Between has the potential to bridge the non-fantasy reader to this genre.

Fantasy readers know exactly what they're getting into: a vivid world, full of imagination, creativity and a whirlwind of action, romance and betrayals.

Non-fantasy readers are okay with all of that, but the common complaint goes something like this: "Fantasy novels are long and start slow. I need a map to follow the story.
Cori Moore
Feb 01, 2013 Cori Moore rated it it was ok
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
I really tried to like this book, but the truth is- it just went off on a tangent that I couldn't follow. It had a beginning that I was on board with: a character who seemed to be strong.

She seemed self-sufficient [spoiler alert] ... she had become a doctor, had basically raised herself from the age of 7 when it was obvious her single mother could manage the job, and left an overbearing boyfriend to strike it on her own. The shifts of reality versus dreamscapes seemed haunting and fantastic, an
Stacy
Oct 10, 2012 Stacy rated it liked it
I gave it 2.5/5 stars

Vivian is an ER doctor who is dealing with some weird things. She has always known she was different but when someone in the ER dies from burning from the inside out after explaining things she saw in her dreams she is sent into a spiral where she learns more about herself and her destiny.

I had no issues with Vivian as a character. She was real feeling and easy to follow. I had some problems with the whole dream/wake version of Warlord/Zee and their relationship with Vivian
Vanessa theJeepDiva
Jan 08, 2013 Vanessa theJeepDiva rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, request, 2013
If Alice fell down the rabbit hole, Vivian dreamed her way into the dragon world. As a doctor Vivian is someone who relies on science and the tangible. Vivian begins to witness the impossible in the emergency room while she is wide awake. She witness things straight out of nightmares. Soon the impossible takes her away from the conformity she has known and trusted and thrusts her into an entirely different world filled with the unknown.

The unknown world Vivian is thrown into is a dark and scary
Stephanie  G
Jan 21, 2013 Stephanie G rated it liked it
Vivian is working at a hospital when some strange stuff starts to happen. Her dreams are getting more intense and then she meets a book shop owner who happens to be someone she dreams about. On top of that he loans her books, and one of them has her on the cover. Right after this she finds out her kind of estranged grandfather has passed away, and that he was much more than he seemed. His legacy is passed down to her, but with it comes an evil sorceress who will stop at nothing to get her hands ...more
All Things Urban Fantasy
Oct 02, 2012 All Things Urban Fantasy rated it it was amazing
Dreams can be a tricky sort of magic. So much of their power is comes from the disorientation and internal logic of the dreamer, reading any sort of narrative built on top of that fluid and arbitrary base can be alienating. Kerry Schafer, however, takes the best of the mystery and humor of a dream-state to enrich the mechanics of magic in her world. I laughed, my heart raced, and I finished BETWEEN more than a little bit in love with Schafer, Vivian, and a penguin named Poe.

I spent awhile lookin
Jaiden
Originally posted at: Girls on YA Books

Where to begin....Well, first off this was my first adult fantasy book. I have read different adult books but nothing with the fantasy aspect to it. Even if I had I would have to imagine that after this book, it would be like reading adult fantasy all over again for the first time. It was that good and that standout. I will admit that I was a bit confused the first couple of chapters just trying to get into the rhythm of Kerry's writing and trying to disti
Shelley
Jan 01, 2013 Shelley rated it really liked it
*Genre* Urban Fantasy
*Rating* 3.5

*My Thoughts*

"Always guard against the dreamworld, you never know what might come through."

Between has been sitting on my shelves since I won this book from a fellow blogger last year. Since I also have it's sequel, Wakeworld, in my hands thanks to Kerry sharing a copy with me, I thought I would finally get caught up on some back reading. Between is a fairly strong beginning to a series with world building that I found appealing because of dragons, sorceresses, D
Laurie
Mesmerizing Mixture of Horror, Magic, and Romance

I've always loved paranormal romance, but this book cannot be contained into just one category. Between is a terrific book. Vivian, the main character, but not the least of all the interesting characters throughout this book, resists her bloodline as sorceress and dragon. Her mother, Isobel, is constantly traveling in between worlds to get to her true love, Landon. The evil sorceress, Johanna, was a great villain-lethal and unmerciful. Of course,
Sherie Davis
Mar 22, 2013 Sherie Davis rated it liked it
I am inclined to say I liked this book but I agree with some of the complaints other reviewers mentioned. (ie. the two versions of people and sleeping when you're in the dreamworld.) I liked the fantasy feel of it and I liked the main characters, but I found that I had issues with the whole grand scheme thing her grandfather put into place. It really had too many variables in it that could have gone wrong. And I can't help thinking he was a really bad father to Isobel. I mean besides making her ...more
Linda Grimes
Mar 01, 2013 Linda Grimes rated it it was amazing
Poe is my hero. (Hey, penguins rock! Poe is the best sidekick penguin I've ever read.) And the rest of the story is totally worthy of his awesomeness. :)
Lynn
Oct 04, 2013 Lynn rated it really liked it
excellent
Simge
Apr 26, 2014 Simge rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2014-read
1 star for the dragons. Anything involving dragons deserves at least one star.
Dark Faerie Tales
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales.

Quick & Dirty: Vivian knows dreams have no place in the Wakeworld, and when people start showing up dead Vivian is forced to step into a world she was once confident didn’t even exist.

Opening Sentence: Later, she will remember him so: impatient with the waiting, restless feet carrying him back and forth in the grassy place in front of the fountain.

The Review:

Chaos and confusion. Those are the two feelings that totally dominated me the entire time I read
Van (Short & Sweet Reviews)
Vivian recently broke up with her boyfriend and decided to move to another state to work at Krebston Memorial Hospital. This enables her to start over independently away from her ex and ailing mother. During one of her shift, a young man comes in with an extremely high fever ranting about dragons. The next she know he’s burning from the inside out, Vivian thought she was hallucinating due to the lack of sleep but no, it’s really happening when she’s wide awake. Things get stranger when she meets ...more
Anya
Jan 16, 2014 Anya rated it liked it
Between by Kerry Schafer is a breath of fresh air into the urban fantasy genre, drawing in new mythical creatures, a new magic system, and blending in some high fantasy to boot. While there were a few things that bothered me and there is a big trigger warning that has to be attached to Between, I’m really excited to see where this series goes and to see dragons making a dramatic entrance into UF ;-).
Note: I received Between from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

On Starships and Dragonwings Button

Between by Kerry Sc
Kristin  (MyBookishWays Reviews)
You may also read my review here: http://www.mybookishways.com/2013/03/...

Vivian Maylor is a doctor at Krebston Memorial, a small town hospital, and she’s been happy in her small apartment, away from her mother Isobel and her ex-boyfriend, Jared, who still pursues her. When a young man is brought in with a steadily rising temperature, it’s not immediately clear what’s going on, but when he actually spontaneously combusts, Vivian is stumped. After her shift, weary and confused, but unable to slee
Christen *Goldilox And The Three Weres*
Between is a fun and engaging read that straddles the line between high fantasy and urban fantasy. I haven't really read a lot of fantasy outside or my wheelhouse of UF and PNR, so this was a diversion for me that I thoroughly enjoyed.

The fantasy element in this book is the world of Dreamshifting and those who are able to do it. There exists three words: Wakeworld, which is the world we all live in; Dreamworld, which is comprised of people's dreams; and the Between, which is at the same time a s
Brooke Banks
TW: Rape, problematic and unnecessary thoroughly explained in the last review section.
Disclaimer: Won my copy through a giveaway from All Things Urban Fantasy in March 2013.

Pros
Liked Viv and Zee
Loved its world building, especially the dragons
Beautiful cover with no ridiculous pose or dress for Vivian and the eye-catching dragon sphere

Cons
Villain’s evil personified minus the personality
Problematic, unnecessary rape scene

Rating: 3 stars for solid world building and characters with standard fanta
  • Soulbound (Lone Star Witch, #1)
  • Boyfriend from Hell (Saturn's Daughter, #1)
  • Noah's Boy (Shifters #3)
  • Dark Oracle (Oracle, #1)
  • Nightmare Ink (Living Ink, #1)
  • Mist (Midgard, #1)
  • Don't Kill The Messenger (Messenger, #1)
  • Seized (The Pipe Woman Chronicles #1)
  • Pretty When She Kills (Pretty When She Dies, #2)
  • The Tides of Avarice: A Sagaria Legend
  • Six Times a Charm
  • The Dragon Men (Clockwork Empire, #3)
  • Pile of Bones (Parallel Parks, #1)
  • In a Fix (Ciel Halligan, #1)
  • Interred (Chronicles of the Interred, #1)
  • Hearts of Shadow (Deadglass, #2)
  • Dragon Awakened (The Hidden, #1)
  • Dark Light of Day (Noon Onyx, #1)
Kerry Schafer writes fantasy with its teeth sunk into reality, mystery that delves into the paranormal, and, as Kerry Anne King, women’s fiction that embraces the dark and twisty realms of humanity. She lives in a little house in the big woods and spins her tales early in the mornings, fueled by massive amounts of coffee.
More about Kerry Schafer...

The Between (3 books)
  • Wakeworld (The Between, #2)
  • The Nothing (The Between, #3)