Start by marking “Code White” as Want to Read:
Code White

Code White

3.25  ·  Rating details ·  148 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Ali O’Day, a dedicated young neurosurgeon, might have a Nobel Prize in her future—if she can survive the next eleven hours.

Under the glare of live television cameras—and with her lover, Dr. Richard Helvelius, and her estranged husband, Kevin, both looking on—Ali is about to implant a revolutionary mini-computer into the brain of a blind boy. If it works, he will see again.
Published April 9th 2013 by Forge Books (first published January 22nd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Code White, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Code White

Patrice Hoffman
I just finished Code White by Scott Britz-Cunningham and am impressed with how well this debut novel is written. There are many ways to mess up the medical thriller but the biggest is always making the technical information seem like a foreign language that is not in any way interesting or digestable. There are ways that authors of medical thrillers can get so wrapped up in explaining procedures that ultimately they lose any interest the reader had in it's entertainment value. Brilliantly, Britz ...more
Dianne
Code White by Scott Britz-Cunningham is part medical thriller, techno-thriller and all edge-of-your-seat reading! An emotionally stunted Dr. Ali O’Day becomes the focal point for the twisted rage of her estranged husband, a brilliant scientist. Kevin has created a mini computer, SIPNI, that is implanted within the brain of a small boy to restore his sight. If successful, it was hoped that its uses could be almost limitless. Along with SIPNI, Kevin has also developed Odin, an artificial intellige ...more
Beth
Apr 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: thriller
The plotting in this book was decent, but Jesus Crust the dialogue was horrible. People just do NOT talk that way. And the "bad guy" had the absolute worst case of monologuing I've seen in a long time.
Sara
Oct 21, 2013 rated it did not like it
One of the worst books I have ever listened to. Not only was the writing (especially the dialogue) horrible, but the narration was also just really, really terrible. The woman reading the book was so whiny and overacted some of the characters so badly that I could only listen through the first four and a half discs...after that I listened to the first few seconds of each section - just enough to keep up with what was going on - and skipped through the remainder of the book. I really was hoping f ...more
Andrea Angel
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thrillers
It was a good read, a blockbuster-style thriller.

Definitely more plot-oriented than character-oriented - I liked the characters okay, but will probably remember the events and situations of the book better than the characters. At times the reader could see the author pulling characters' strings a bit in order to use dialogue to reveal backstory, but it allowed for good pacing and reader interest, instead of laying everything out at once about what made the characters tick.

Author's grasp, on a sc
Amy Rogers
Feb 11, 2013 rated it liked it
ScienceThrillers Review:

Code White is a debut novel that brings a new, powerful voice to the medical thriller genre. Written by physician-scientist Scott Britz-Cunningham, a radiologist at Harvard Medical School, Code White is the best hospital-based medical thriller I've read in some time.

Compared to the explosion of science-themed thrillers (especially indies) that I've seen in the past few years, hospital-based medical thrillers are relatively rare. Britz-Cunningham's book serves the genre we
Kay
Mar 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
I was really excited to get my hands on Code White. I even featured it in a Waiting on Wednesday post, but sadly I was slightly disappointed. I was expecting a non-stop page turner with some romance thrown in. What I got was a semi-page turner with semi-unlikable characters. Instead of being a must read, it was just pretty good.

There are three main POVs in Code White. There is Ali O'Day, a doctor who is hoping to give sight to a blind child by a new age computer device. She is a mess. She is too
Lis Carey
Mar 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Ali O'Day is a rising young neurosurgeon, and it's the biggest day of her life. She's about to implant into the brain of a young blind boy the SIPNI device developed in collaboration with her estranged husband Kevin, and her lover Richard Helvelius, the medical center's senior neurosurgeon and Ali's professional mentor. If the device works, Jamie will see again. And then it can be used to repair other neurological damage, restoring for other patients the ability to walk, see, hear--it's a potent ...more
Jud Hanson
Jun 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
What starts out as a historic day for Dr. Ali O'Day changes to one of terror as her soon-to-be ex uses his computer expertise to create "Odin," an artificial intelligence residing in the hospital lab. Odin is like no other computer in the world and Kevin has used him to hold the hospital ransom in revenge for Ali leaving him. His plan goes awry, however, when Odin starts making decisions on his own and setting off explosives, killing several cops and hospital staff. Kevin is arrested but is shot ...more
Amy
Apr 02, 2016 rated it did not like it
I should not have bothered finishing it and honestly was speed reading and skimming the tedious parts at the end. He lost me when he hooked up the human brain to the computer to humanize the computer. I was hoping for a good medical drama and the only good part was he did take risk in killing off people. A disappointment for me, but maybe not for someone who likes the role of computers and artificial intelligence. Kevin's dialogue was beyond absurd . With that said, I would try another book by t ...more
Brick
Nov 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
A slow start, as Ali O'Day, an incredibly accomplished neurosurgeon is conflicted and nervous, for reasons that take much of the book to be revealed. In spite of this off-putting characteristic, the story proceeds at a rapid pace and becomes gripping as it proceeds. The finale was well done, pure science fiction, but an elegant solution to the problems presented at this point.

An engrossing medical and technical thriller, building to gripping tension as it proceeds.

Sean Randall
May 28, 2013 rated it liked it
I really got into this to start with: it was gritty, a bottle-show to be sure, but interesting nonetheless. Unfortunately the ending was very obvious and not very satisfying for me. Still, enjoyable enough.
Anna
Jun 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
The premise was interesting but the characters were one dimensional and the scenes kept jumping from one "action" to the next without really keeping with the plot. Being a first novel and considering the author's background in medicine I would say skip it.
Tessie
May 18, 2014 rated it liked it
This book was a decent thriller. I knew who did it from the beginning and I felt the plot twists weren't shocking enough for me and it was bizarre at times and didn't flow smoothly. But it was decent for a debut novel. I did like the medical terminology though. I understood all of it.
Sherrie
Sep 07, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
This book had some promise--a sort of "HAL Does Hospitals" for those of you old enough to remember 2001: A Space Odyssey--but it was so poorly written that I couldn't care about anything in it. Not the characters, plot--nothing. I abandoned it halfway through and felt no guilt.
Jan Marino
Apr 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this story! I loved that the author didn't dumb down the medical jargon and I found the story completely compelling. Highly recommend.
Jennifer Kelley
Jun 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Though this was going to be a more of a medical thriller; but the medical part was lacking to me. Overall an okay book--I would give it 2.5 stars if I could. Next time I'll just read a Robin Cook
Robyn
Jun 03, 2013 rated it liked it
3.5 stars- better than my usual medical mysteries
Brittany Butcher
Mar 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contests-winners
I won this in a goodreads giveaway and its a great book! I really enjoyed reading it!
Lance
Apr 15, 2013 rated it liked it
A good story. Near the end, it got a bit too touchy feely, which seemed a somewhat about face from the rest. Still, a decent read if the genre appeals.
Nadia
May 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Awesome fast-paced thriller!
Charla
Aug 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great read, very exciting and great ending....with all that technology has supassed recently this could very much be a reality! Will be looking for more from this author.
Ellen
Mar 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Interesting medical mystery/thriller with some future medical technology.
Annika
Oct 09, 2016 rated it liked it
An okay novel. Reminiscent of Dan Brown in that the story's time frame is unbelievable, but easy to keep reading.
Jan
May 08, 2013 rated it liked it
A fun read, albeit a bit implausible. If you like hospitals, medicine and computers, you'll enjoy it. The computer part was a bit over the top -- more sci-fi than straight medicine.
Linda
May 26, 2017
Ghislaine Collard
Jun 26, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Thousand Coffins Affair (The Man from U.N.C.L.E., #1)
  • The Solomon Effect (Jax Alexander Mystery #2)
  • Rock Bottom
  • Front Runner
  • Storm Kings: America's First Tornado Chasers
  • Boston Blackie
  • The Transformed
  • Final Epidemic (Beck Casey #1)
  • Knockdown
  • Death of a Saint (Mall Rats, #2)
  • Deadly Errors
  • Restless Mind
  • The Chicago Cap Murders
  • Conquest of the Planet of the Apes
  • The Spoilers
  • Killing Silence (The Loser Mysteries, #1)
  • A Man and His Ship: America's Greatest Naval Architect and His Quest to Build the S.S. United States
  • Plunder of the Sun (Al Colby #2)
SCOTT BRITZ-CUNNINGHAM was born and raised in the Chicago area. An MD and a PhD, he works as a staff radiologist at the Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston, and is an assistant professor of radiology at Harvard Medical School. Dr. Britz-Cunningham lives in Quincy, Massachusetts, with his artist wife, Evelyn, and his son, Alexander.
More about Scott Britz-Cunningham...