Start by marking “Zac and Mia” as Want to Read:
Zac and Mia

Read Excerpt

Zac and Mia

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  9,485 ratings  ·  1,545 reviews
When I was little I believed in Jesus and Santa, spontaneous combustion, and the Loch Ness monster. Now I believe in science, statistics, and antibiotics.

So says seventeen-year-old Zac Meier during a long, grueling leukemia treatment in Perth, Australia. A loud blast of Lady Gaga alerts him to the presence of Mia, the angry, not-at-all-stoic cancer patient in the room next
Published July 24th 2013 by Text Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Zac and Mia, please sign up.
Daughter Of Athena Yes, I'm pretty sure this is. There is a TV show now though! :D
The Fault in Our Stars by John GreenMy Sister's Keeper by Jodi PicoultBefore I Die by Jenny DownhamThe Probability of Miracles by Wendy WunderA Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks
YA Fiction About Cancer
92 books — 280 voters
The Book Thief by Markus ZusakTomorrow, When the War Began by John MarsdenLooking for Alibrandi by Melina MarchettaLife in Outer Space by Melissa KeilOn the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta
LoveOzYA
359 books — 187 voters

More lists with this book...

·  9,485 ratings  ·  1,545 reviews

Jesse (JesseTheReader)
I enjoyed this book, I just didn't love it. Something this book does well is character development, specifically with Mia's character. I loved seeing her develop throughout this story, mostly because I didn't like her much when she was first introduced. I just feel like this story didn't have much to the plot and the plot at hand was a bit predictable. I did like A.J. Betts writing though and will definitely pick up other books by her!
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
3.5*
Mixed feelings on this one, video review to come!
Ninoska Goris
Español - English

“Con toda la destrucción que causa, el Cáncer tendría que entrar a gritos en el cuerpo, con sirenas aullando y luces centelleantes. No debería poder ocultarse y echar raíces en el cerebro de alguien de esa forma, agazapado entre los recuerdos."

Debo estar de acuerdo con que el tema se parece bastante al del libro Bajo la misma estrella. Sin embargo, este libro trata más sobre como dos adolescentes con cáncer llegan, de solo tener en común la enfermedad, a ser vitales uno para el
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
This book starts off quite well. I loved Zac. He is that boy that you can't help but fall in love with. Then we meet Mia. I did not like the girl child. I just couldn't make myself.
This is not a romance. It's a friendship story and it's not a horrible book. It just feels unfinished. No character development and I just didn't really care like I should have.
This book has been compared to The Fault in Our Stars. Bullshit. I gave that book 3 stars and this one didn't touch it. Sorry dudes.
I would
Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

Thank you Text Publishing for sending me this copy. No compensation was given or taken to alter this review.

'I'm the least brave of everyone. I never signed up for this war. Leukaemia conscripted me, the fucker.'

Zac and Mia had a John Green vibe to it- the synopsis immediately reminded me of The Fault in Our Stars. While not as fantastic, Zac and Mia has a strong story filled with wit, humour and heart felt moments. But let me stress that this bo
Dana
Aug 01, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

If I had to describe this book in one sentence, I would describe it as the poor man's TFIOS(The Fault in Our Stars). I really had to force myself to finish this. My main issue was Mia, she was such a MASSIVE bitch. I truly hated her. She was a cruel, selfish, ingrate who literally cared about no one but herself. As for Zac, he was okay, although I found him kind of boring and nothing more than a crutch for Mia's abuses.

If you're looking for a teenage love story look elsewhere, these two protagon
C.G. Drews
I have such mixed feelings about this one! On one hand...ugh, my soul burned with sadness for Zac and even for Mia...but on the other hand? I just was so angry at how selfish and immature Mia was. BUT THEN AGAIN (see how indecisive I am?) the girl had freaking cancer. CANCER. How can I possibly understand?!

I decided that I did like this book because of Reasons. And I will share the reasons because I'm incredibly nice like that.
1. Zac was a sweetheart.
2. Zac's mother was so supportive and his
Grace (LovingDemBooks) Z.
Buy this book HERE on Amazon or buy this book HERE on BookDepository with FREE WORLDWIDE SHIIPPING

I received an advanced reader's edition of this book from the publisher for free in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

4 of 5 stars (Please read my rating system further below). Though similar to John Green's The Fault In Our Stars, I think I might have to say that Zac and Mia was one of the best books that I've read all year; it was so heart warming and refreshing. I remem
May
Jul 19, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
¿SE PARECE A BAJO LA MISMA ESTRELLA?

Zac y Mia es una novela que ha salido recientemente en España y que trata sobre dos jóvenes enfermxs de cáncer. Es una novela que trata el cáncer y la enfermedad desde un punto de vista muy realista y duro. Una novela que es cortita, se lee rápido y que cuenta una historia del día a día y la vida de dos personas que estaban destinadas a encontrarse y entenderse.
Zac y Mia no es la novela que todxs esperamos sobre el cáncer parecida a Bajo la misma estrella. P
Antonia
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Courage is standing still even though you want to run. Courage is planting yourself and turning towards the thing that scares you, whether it's your leg or your friends or the guy who could break your heart again. It's opening your eyes and staring that fear down."

I can do nothing but to recommend this to you. You should really read it. It's probably the best fiction about cancer I've ever read/watched. It's honestly better than the fault in our stars. Makes you think. We should all be lucky &l
Ryan Buckby
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Google tells me everything I need to know about death except what comes after.

one of those reads that leave me with a heavy heart and full of emotion that i need to take some time and think about what i've read to understand it.

Plot: the book is told in three different parts where we get to see a lot of different aspects of the story and it's told in a way i don't think i've read before. The first part is focused on the two's time in the hospital during treatment, the second is centred aroun
Paula Weston
Jan 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've read quite a few books in recent months but it's taken me until now to have a chance to share some thoughts on them. The one thing the time lapse allows is the capacity to see which books have 'stuck', and this one most certainly has.

Cancer isn't easy, it's not glamorous and it definitely isn't fun. And what I liked most about this story was that A.J Betts never loses sight of that, even in those unexpected moments that made me laugh out loud. Her characters are fully fleshed, the relations
Mia Nauca
Este libro es un solido 3.5
Se trata de dos chicos que sufren de cancer y ambos definitivamente lidian con su enfermedad de manera muy distinta. Sin embargo, forman un lazo fuerte entre los dos que los ayuda a mantener la cordura mientras tratan de sobrevivir
Angelica Juarez Gonzalez
Me llevo menos de veinticuatro horas en leer este libro; seis para ser más específica. Si no contamos los intervalos de tiempo entre las actividades de la vida diaria (comer y esas cosas) así como también los momentos en que tenía que pararle porque la ola de tristeza era grande, rería menos. Y a mí me encantan los libros tristes. Tengo una inclinación grande hacia ellos. Soy una consumista emocional total. Y este libro aporta una gran parte de esas emociones.

Zac y Mia es una historia que hace t
Odette Knappers
Nov 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
This is a really lovely, honest story. I haven't read The fault in our stars yet, but I can imagine this is for lovers of that book, because of the theme.

(view spoiler)
Nadia King
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I shied away from reading Zac & Mia mainly because the whole cancer thing put me off. Live long enough & too many people you know end up dying from it. I finally took the bull by the horns and got stuck between the pages of Zac & Mia and what a pleasant surprise. And what a ride, too. I seriously loved this book.

Please don't read this thinking about other YA books around this topic, come at Zac & Mia without preconceptions. I was sucked into the story fast. Zac is seventeen and l
Abbie
My initial thought was “Oh, another cancer book. Let me go grab a box of tissues”. I couldn’t help but compare this book with TFIOS. This book isn’t as romantic and I realized then that this book is totally different from John Green’s creation.

Yes, Zac and Mia were victims of deadly illnesses. They had different personalities and different ways of coping but they came together to be each other’s support outside of their families who did not know the pain firsthand.

It was a touching story. It sho
ALPHAreader
Oct 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Zac Meier tracks his fight with leukaemia by NASA’s Curiosity rover. When he was first admitted he watched a documentary about the construction of the rover; when he first relapsed the launch was making headlines and the night before his bone marrow transfer he watched footage of the rover being shot into space. Now he’s stuck in isolation from November 18 to December 22 while the graft from a German donor (his friends have since nicknamed him ‘Helga’) safely heals. They can shoot a robot into o ...more
Mafi
Dec 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Tenho alguns sentimentos contraditórios com este livro. Gostei mas ao mesmo tempo não achei assim nada de especial. Gostei mais das personagens em si e do seu desenvolvimento do que do plot. Também só o li para ver a série, mas acho que se até tivesse começado pela mesma sem ter lido este livro, não ia sentir falta dele.
Amanda
3.5

Zac & Mia by A.J Betts is set in W.A. We meet seventeen year old Zac Meier during his five week long stay in a cancer ward. He’s undergone a bone marrow transplant as part of his leukaemia treatment and is now confined to a room in the ward with only his mother and nurses for company. That is until a teenage girl moves into the room next door. Mia has osteosarcoma and according to Zac she’s the luckiest patient in the ward, not that Mia agrees with him.

I'm probably not the only one who he
Tormenta
En realidad es un 2.5/5

¿La portada parece prometer un romance apasionado? Una lástima, en este libro no es eso lo que se encuentra. En su lugar, hay una lucha de supervivencia entre páginas.

Mia, la protagonista, me había caído pésimo. Era egocéntrica, caprichosa, y lo tenía absolutamente todo. Los problemas no existían en su vida, y si lo habían, ella se negaba a prestarles atención. Se sentía desgraciada, aún viendo que su alrededor se derrumbaba, ella creía que su situación era mucho peor. (T
Dagmar
Sep 10, 2016 rated it liked it
recensie binnenkort op www.leesendroom.jouwweb.nl!
Pat
Jul 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, feel-good-books
I usually avoid books about cancer but after hearing A.J. Betts speaking in 2011 about the book she was writing and knowing that she has worked for 8 years as a hospital teacher, I decided that as a Text Prize winner this was a book not to be missed.
I was not disappointed. What was most uplifting for me was the portrayal of the two teens, Zac and Mia, and the amount of resilience that was necessary to survive cancer treatments. On the way Betts was able to impact a lot of information about cance
Návi
Jan 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Okay, este libro superó mis expectativas.
Debo admitir que comencé a leer este libro esperando un Bajo la Misma Estrella 2.0, pero claramente estaba equivocado. El libro es original, pero sí pude encontrar parecidos a este otro libro por la temática, la cual es muy parecida.
Los personajes son hermosísimos, y me gustó su desarrollo en la historia.
Pero bueno, no tengo ganas de reseñar la historia, sólo decirles que le den una oportunidad a este libro.
ItsMedea
Aug 12, 2016 rated it liked it
3,5/5 ⭐ Ich fand das Buch hat sich mega in die Länge gezogen obwohl es nicht so viele seiten hat. Das Ende fand ich aber gut! :)
Esra
Jul 13, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mia'nın sürekli beni sinir edecek bir şeyler yapması, kitabının sonunun tatmin edici bir son olmaması gibi nedenler olmasaydı daha çok severdim bence.
Karin Falkner
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-home-library
Emotional,aufwühlend,berührend,ehrlich,trotzdem ein respektvoller Umgang mit dem Thema Krebs.Hat mir wirklich sehr gut gefallen!
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out

A.J. Betts won the Text Prize for YA and Children's Writing in 2012 for her unpublished manuscript of Zac and Mia. Set in Western Australia, it is the story of two teenagers who meet while receiving treatment for cancer.

Seventeen year old Zac Meier is partway through an enforced period of isolation after a bone marrow transplant to treat his second re-occurrence of acute myeloid leukemia. Stuck in the adult oncology ward, with only his mother and the nurses asking about his bowel movements for c
Mollyflowers
Jul 24, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: bad-covers
This is book is nothing but a shameless ripoff of THIS, one of my favourite books of all time. Down to the theme and even character names. So I won't even waste my breath detailing why this novel is the worst thing I have read all year. I am so angry. Shame on Text books for supporting plagiarism!!! Copy someone else's story and win a national contest? Um, but NO. Don't support this. Avoid like the plague. Or read TFIOS instead :)
PS- what's with the ugly 70s cover scheme and picture? Kinda gross
Esther
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ik vond dit zo'n mooi boek. De schrijfstijl was ook heel prettig.
  • The Minnow
  • The Road to Winter (Winter, #1)
  • The Sky So Heavy
  • All This Could End
  • Steal My Sunshine
  • The Whole of My World
  • The Foretelling of Georgie Spider (The Tribe, #3)
  • Head of the River
  • Intruder
  • Inbetween Days
  • The Accident
  • New Guinea Moon
  • Girl Defective
  • The First Third
  • The Zigzag Effect
  • Wildlife (Six Impossible Things/Wildlife #2)
  • The Dead I Know
  • The Mimosa Tree
I'm a Perth-based writer who writes realistic fiction for teenagers (14+) but adults enjoy them too. I'm also an English teacher, poet, writer of non-fiction texts, presenter and reader.
“Google tells me everything I need to know about death except what comes after.” 24 likes
“Perhaps courage is simply this spur-of-the-moment acts when your head screams don't, but your body does it anyway.” 10 likes