Start by marking “Peculiar in a Good Way” as Want to Read:
Peculiar in a Good Way

Peculiar in a Good Way

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  271 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
Being peculiar is not about horns,” begins bestselling author Mary Ellen Edmunds. In this humorous but thought-provoking book, she explores what really makes “a peculiar people” and what sets us apart as distinct and different from the rest of the world. “Others surely do notice things about us,” she states, “so what would it be like if we could be depended upon to live wh ...more
Published September 21st 2006 by Shadow Mountain

To ask other readers questions about Peculiar in a Good Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Peculiar in a Good Way

Beth
Sep 26, 2017 rated it liked it
"Please don't let anything I've shared in this book cause you to add to your list of 'things I've not done,' or 'things I'll probably never be able to do,' or 'stuff that's going to keep me out of Heaven,' or 'why God is mad at me.' Quit it!" (p. 187)

I love Mary Ellen Edmunds' sense of humor as she explores the topic of making ourselves a little better (a little more peculiar!). This book wasn't particularly life-changing for me, but it was an uplifting read for sure.
Sara
Aug 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion, optimism
I loved this book! Mary Ellen Edmunds is an amazing writer. She keeps her subject matter very informal and funny, but underlying all of that is an important message, that we can be who we are supposed to be, no matter what situation surrounds us. Many evenings when I was feeling discouraged, I would pick up this book, read a chapter, and feel empowered and ready to get back in the game. Her simple analogies (who knew an arrow could have so much meaning?) bring to light some very complex themes i ...more
Eileen
Mar 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book. I've read others from this author as well as heard her speak, she has a delightfully goofy sense of humor and is a kindred spirit to my optimistic outlook on life. She is LDS and truly 'gets' what is SHOULD mean to be LDS, not the 'culture' but the GOSPEL. Whether or not you are LDS, this book can help adults and children live better. I especially recommend reading chapter 3, Arrows, and chapter 6, Row, Row, Row your boat. But all the chapters are worth reading and beneficial.
Kaisa
Jul 18, 2008 rated it liked it
Mary Ellen Edmunds just cracks me up sometimes. She just says things in her own way about life and the gospel of Jesus Christ. I find a lot of her thoughts very enlightening and find that they encouraged me to look deeper into my path in life and who I am. I think what I mostly took away from the book is that I should always be looking for ways to improve in every aspect of life. Somehow she inspired me to want to do that without feeling overwhelmed.
Lisa
Jan 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wwjr
I was watching the BYU channel one night and MEE gave a GREAT talk. Then I went to TOFW and she was there and that talk was even better. So I ended up picking up every book they had of hers (living in CT I don't really have alot of opportunity to check out or purchase LDS books, so I have to grab them when I get the chance!). They are all fantastic. MEE is witty, charming, and she speaks the truth! I love her energetic spirit and her very origional sence of humor!
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
Oct 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: lds
I love Mary Ellen Edmunds and this little book is no different. It's short and easy to read. I read it with a yellow high-lighter and found so many little gems of inspiration.

Her main premise is that as Latter-day Saints, we are often regarded as peculiar, but that being peculiar isn't necessarily a bad thing.

She uses scriptures and personal experiences to explain the uniqueness of Latter-day Saints. Each chapter ends with reading recommendations, which I found incredibly useful.
Gina
Mar 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I'd never read one of her books, but I've heard her speak several times. Her personality shows through her writing. It was fun to imagine her saying the little jokes, etc. I tried to think about & personalize the questions she asked (although I didn't write letters:) It was very thought provoking and inspiring and at times even funny!
Charity
Feb 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book is aimed at an LDS audience. I wasn't sure I would like it but after the first chapter I felt I would love to meet the author. The book talks about many different ways we can try to become better as an LDS people. I found it inspiring and hope to try some of the activities she outlines to help recognize where to improve.
Nicole Shelby
Sep 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
I enjoy Mary Ellen Edmunds. She's a very happy, enthusiastic, passionate person.

She's preachy - without being annoying.
This was my second time through...and I learned more from her. It's a keeper.
Cami
Jun 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: db-approved
Mary Ellen Edmunds is a great author. She's an old single lady with lots of interesting experiences, as she has served multiple missions all over the world. This book helps us remember that being a member of the LDS Church is something to enjoy.
Peggy
Jan 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This was such a great book and was super inspiring. It has the greatest exercise where you write letters to I think ten people who've inspired you. It was fun to do. I even got a letter from an old visiting teaching companion and it made my day!
Dianna
Apr 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I've read by MEE before, but I can tell already that it isn't going to be the last! I'm only a couple chapters into it and I already feel inspired, and I've laughed a LOT! A fantastic read if you're looking for a feel-good, inspirational light read!
Christina
Dec 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book is funny, while remaining spiritually uplifting. It is motivating, but still practical. Mary Ellen Edmunds's personality shines through - she comes across as an honest, real person trying to help other 'good' people be even better.
Gina
Aug 08, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ldschurchbooks
Loved this book!
It focuses a lot on becoming better when you're already good. She gives great little tidbits of how to make little changes to become the best we can be. It's a very uplifting book.
Jennifer Cook
Jan 14, 2011 rated it liked it
There was not really anything I did not already know, but she presented it in a fun way. I had a hard time keeping involved in the book and found my mind wandering and finding other books to read before this one. I own this book if anyone wants to read it.
Moriya
Apr 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
I love Mary Ellen Edmunds. She has a great sense of humor. It reminded me that we always should be striving for perfection...but to not get down on ourselves just try harder to do better! Thanks to my friend Ruth Ann for letting me borrow this! I needed it!
Robyn
Mar 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
excellent. there are passages I want to memorize--
Amanda
Sep 03, 2013 rated it liked it
This was uplifting and fun to read, but nothing ground breaking or earth-shattering.
Julie
Nov 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Good girlie feel good book. I always like what Mary Ellen Edmunds has to say.
Rae
Apr 01, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: religiosity
A delightful read. Funny and uplifting. Pithy too. Just right for Sunday afternoons.
Danni
Oct 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It answered a lot of questions that I have been struggling with for a long time. It gave me a lot of hope and a lot of joy.
Tina
Apr 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-me, lds
MEE has such a great writing style!
Andrea
Feb 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Another one of my favorites! I love her!
Sharee
Jun 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Loved loved loved this book. The last chapter is one of the best.
Ivy
Oct 01, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone needing an uplifting and humoros easy read. It is an LDS Book.
I really like the way Mary Ellen Edmunds writes. She is humorous and easy to read while trying to get you to think about your own goodness and become better than you are now.
Laurisa Reyes
Oct 22, 2010 rated it liked it
Hit and miss. A little humor. A little LDS advice. Some nice stories. I listened to the author read it on CD. Enjoyable. Will listen to it again in the future.
Michelle S
Apr 29, 2008 rated it liked it
Edmunds underscores the idea that it's alright to believe in God and encourages people to find joy in it as well
Deann
Nov 29, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: women
easy reading, a good bit of comedy plus practical tips
Vicki
Apr 04, 2008 rated it liked it
A good book with good values as she discusses what women in the LDS faith stand for.
Kim
May 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I always love Mary Ellen Edmunds' books and I think this is one of my favorites. A fun and enjoyable read!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Live, Love, and Learn: Devotional Messages for Women
  • The Cost of Winning: Coming in First Across the Wrong Finish Line
  • Confessions of an Unbalanced Woman
  • 21 Days Closer to Christ
  • Daughters of God: Scriptural Portraits
  • God Wants A Powerful People
  • When Times Are Tough: 5 Scriptures That Will Help You Get Through Almost Anything
  • A Quiet Heart
  • The Holy Secret
  • Rock-Solid Relationships: Strengthening Personal Relationships with Wisdom from the Scriptures
  • Trusting Jesus
  • Inspiring Experiences That Build Faith: From the Life and Ministry of Thomas S. Monson
  • That We Might Have Joy
  • A Disciple's Life: The Biography of Neal A. Maxwell
  • The Enoch Letters
  • Mary, Martha, And Me:  Seeking the One Thing That Is Needful
Mary Ellen Edmunds has served as director of training at the Missionary Training Center and as a member of the Relief Society general board. She graduated from the College of Nursing at Brigham Young University, has been a faculty member at BYU, and has served several full-time missions. A popular speaker, she is also the author of Happiness: Finders, Keepers; Love Is a Verb; and Thoughts for a Ba ...more