Start by marking “Love Yourself Like Your Life Depends on It” as Want to Read:
Love Yourself Like Your Life Depends on It

Love Yourself Like Your Life Depends on It

In December of 2011, I gave a talk to an audience of scientists, Pentagon officials, politicians, and CEO's on the secret of life and how I'd figured it out the previous summer.

Afterwards, people came up individually and told me how much what I'd shared meant to them. This book is based on the truth I spoke about.

It's something I learned from within myself, something I be
Published June 7th 2012 by CreateSpace

To ask other readers questions about Love Yourself Like Your Life Depends on It, please sign up.
Anya This won't help you, as my reply's a year late, but hopefully it will the next person to come here wondering the same thing -- it's downloadable at
htt…more

Start your review of Love Yourself Like Your Life Depends on It
Julie
Apr 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: healing
Yes, the book is short, simple and reiterates a familiar self-help axiom. No, it's probably not going to tell you anything you don't already know, at least intellectually.

But here's the thing: It's a really, really good place to start when you are so low you've forgotten everything you ever knew about being happy.

It's simple, stuff, really, the way he presents it. But it isn't so simple or obvious for the person who lives within a paradigm of fear. When dealing with anxiety (which is closely re
Matthew Trinetti
Nov 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
My main takeaway is this: Anything worth attaining, including your own happiness, takes practice and work.

A couple months ago, when I temporarily got lost [See: How to Get Lost] and forgot why I was traveling, I came to a simple realization: To prevent this from happening again, I must constantly remind myself why I’m here.

From that point on, I decided that every single day, I would reconnect with The Why. Daily. Constantly. Always remember why.

From this realization came another, simpler realiza
Ginger
Oct 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
I received this book recommendation from a friend. She battles depression and said this book helped her cope with some of her negative thoughts.

I knew this was about 68 pages so it wasn’t going to be overwhelming with self-help points.
I liked what the author did with this book. He didn’t dumb it down and he didn’t try to say more then what was needed. If you battle negative thoughts and struggle with mental health issues, this might help you as it helped my friend.

Good advice to change the negat
Cara
Feb 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Cara by: Mike Hrostoski (required reading for his men's conference)
Shelves: kindle, life
Very short, very simple book. The basic idea is that you repeat "I love myself" over and over in your head as a mantra, choosing to repeat that instead of the other junk that usually loops non-stop in there until you wear a new groove with it, deeper and better than the old ones. I probably would have dismissed the idea out of hand, but someone I respect a lot tried it and got results within only a few days. Ok, I'm game. I've been trying for years figure out how to love myself unconditionally. ...more
Donald
Jan 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The book did two things for me. It made me realize I didn't have to be a perfect person first to love myself, and it made me start loving myself from the first 15 minutes. I didn't think it was possible so early, ... what had I done but read a few chapters, but I had been trying to love myself from the outside in and not the inside out. There is something fundamentally different about his approach which is easy to start, makes actual physical sense, and can change the way you feel and view the w ...more
Zandra
I cannot express my disdain for this cover. This is pretty much THE LAST COVER I need clients to see as they battle suicidal thoughts or ideations. And people are right, this is fluff. Even if it wasn't, I still could not use this because THE BOOK HAS A FRIGGIN' SILHOUETTE OF A DUDE WITH A GUN TO HIS HEAD. Cut it out man! Mayhem and foolishness. ...more
Alice-Elizabeth
Audiobook via BookBeat UK!

I've listened to lots of self-help books in my time but I struggled to find one that was simple yet still got the message across. Love Yourself is an inspiring listen taking into account real-life events that Kamal has been through in his life so far, with also the steps he took to gain a healthier and positive mindset. Good listen!
James
Jul 17, 2020 rated it did not like it
It's ironic that self-love is a euphemism for masturbation. 'Love Yourself Like Your Life Depends On It' is one of the most masturbatory books I've ever read and I don't mean that in a good way.

Self-indulgent, self-involved, and selfish. The only impressive thing about it is that they had the chutzpah to call it a book when it's shorter than most blog posts.

Kamal Ravikant's premise is a simple one: repeatedly say to yourself 'I love myself' and your life will be transformed. It worked for them
Vani Kaushal
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My interview with the author, Kamal Ravikant.

Vani via Businessviews.in (Click here to read more: http://businessviews.in/love-thyself-...)

In an interview with author Vani Kaushal, American author Kamal Ravikant who wrote two bestsellers opens up on his craft, philosophy, and outlook on life.
Ravikant is famous as a writer. But in the United States, he is more popular as a Venture Capitalist, motivational speaker and founder of many start-ups in the Silicon Valley.

According to Bloomberg data, Ka
Ben Azadi
Jun 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If you are in a funk I highly suggest you read this short but very magical book.
Melissa
Jul 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: referemce
If you are literate, you should read this book.
Tanya
Jun 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Was reminded of the quote "I share therefore I am" - Included the quotes I loved below,

“Besides, being a tourist in a crowded city is a guaranteed way to feel lonely. At least when you walk in nature, you are supposed to be alone.”

“This helps me feel a little better. I may not know the details of the pilgrimage, but I know how to walk.”

“Then, like the nuns from my one year at Catholic school, she firmly lists the rules.”

“I get the sense that I’m part of something bigger than myself. It’s a str
Jeremy
Feb 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is the shortest book I've ever read. In approximately 50 pages Kamal Ravikant vulnerably shares the story of his rise to early success that was quickly followed by his plummet to painful failure, severe depression, and chronic illness. This book chronicles the simple steps Kamal took to pick himself up, dust off, and rise again to an entirely new level of abundant living far greater than financial success. Every day we hear and celebrate the success of others. We rarely hear of the challeng ...more
Ryan Andrew Murphy
May 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing

I hate this book. It disgusts me. Every word of it feels like a lie.

But here’s the problem: i know why it made me sick; i know why reading (listening to) it felt like being constantly punched in the gut. I had to stop every five minutes to literally keep myself from throwing up. It made me angry.

But i kept going back. Every time, when the nausea passed, i picked up where i’d left off. I took it like the awful, revolting medicine i wanted it to be; i took it in, hoping that somehow it might act
Charlie
Aug 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
Yeah.. I didn't like this book at all. It's supposedly on some "Top Books To Read Before You're 25" list, but I found it superficial, lacking in substance and I thought it has the potential to cause a lot of people harm.

All through reading the book I kept on thinking what if Raskalnikov from Crime and Punishment was reading this? Or Heathcliff from Wuthering Heights? Or Jane Eyre?

It seems ridiculous to think of these brilliant characters, these extraordinary people overcoming the trials they fac
Richard Mulholland
This book ends with the following line :

"This book could have been a cover, plus one almost blank page with two words in the middle: Love yourself."

I find myself wishing that it was.

It's a short little book that's ironically still a little too long. It probably should have been a long blog post (at least for me, others love it).

It went from 4* to 3* to the final 2. That's pretty sad.
Andrew Teperdjian
Mar 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A 68 paged book about loving oneself. On an honest note I did not think my interest or patients was going to last but strangely enough I enjoyed every word of it. This book starts off with the author rather than talking greatly of himself and how many books he has sold like other writers would do, he writes of himself in a lower status of emotional confidence which I found extremely ironic considering the title of the book. As I continued on to read it started to feel like a speech, but not a ba ...more
Rachel Reed
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
I bailed out without finishing... I really don't have the time to spend all day every day telling myself I love myself. I thought self affirmation had been de-bunked long ago. My act of self love was to stop reading this and start reading a novel instead. ...more
Gilgamesha
Apr 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At the most this was a half hour read. It right from the heart though. A personal journey of thriving despite detrimental failures and overcoming hopelessness despite loss. It has a very simple yet powerful message. Read it.
Daniël van den Bos
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: geluisterd
Prakriti Regmi
Aug 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
“This day, I vow to myself to love myself, to treat myself as someone I love truly and deeply - in my thoughts, my actions, the choices I make, the experiences I have, each moment I am conscious, I make the decision I LOVE MYSELF.”

Everything I write down here is less of a review but more of an appreciation of the author.

Where do I even start about how beautiful and worthwhile I found this book. To mirror my stance, I would like to use one of Ravikant’s statements from the book.

“In simplicity l
Gautam
Very succinct. Cut straight to the point without meandering. The words are soaked in genuine feeling,which one can sense as he/she travels through them.

Damana Madden
Book 49 is Love Yourself Like Your Life Depends on It by Kamal Ravikant.

I wanted to love his book like I love myself but it felt like a sales pitch.

Kamal did sound sincere and vulnerable but he also sounded like he was selling an inflatable version of self confidence. Not the fake self confidence but truly believing in yourself.

As a disciple of cognitive behavioural therapy, I know you can reset your pathways and think differently. He didn't even touch the science around that. It was more of a "
Emmanuelle
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
For its cost, this very easy and quick to read book gives us a small reminder shot on self-affirmation and its probable effects on the unconscious. Moreover, what I personally appreciated was his simplistic vision (in the non-pejorative sense of the term) of life through meditative practice, of the present moment because it is true that a practice of several years is helpful, gives another perspective of things and a certain detachment and analysis of our emotions (in terms of managing emotions) ...more
Libby
Dec 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Author Kamal Ravikant offers these easy steps to ease readers into a more positive attitude. 1. Mental loop 2. A meditation 3. One question. The steps are easy and he offers good advice on why they work and how to approach them. This 68 page book is a quick feel good read that is well worthwhile to people looking for a positive approach to life. For me, it will probably be a book that I will reread again and again.
Davor Katusic
Jul 25, 2016 rated it did not like it
This was a waste of time. Fortunately not too much time. It is suited for people who are desperate for help, like some drug addicts or broken hearted low confidence folks, but who with the common sense could comit to the effort of repeating I love myself all the time? I am not convinced and to make it work, you have to be convinced without a doubt.
Jen
Jul 17, 2017 rated it did not like it
Colossally unhelpful. Reads like an unedited journal entry. No idea how this became a book.
Swaroop
Jul 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Simple and meaningful!

"When in darkness, don't fight it. You can't win. Just find the nearest switch, turn on the light."

Thanks Kamal.
Eddy Farhat
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Short book. Powerful concept. Simple set of practices to adopt.
Cheese
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love myself.
Modern Entreprene...: Meditation 3 13 Feb 11, 2016 03:20PM
Modern Entreprene...: Not Useful 1 12 Feb 04, 2016 04:29PM
Modern Entreprene...: Love Yourself Like Your Life Depends on It 1 9 Feb 03, 2016 04:59PM
Modern Entreprene...: You Have a Choice 1 9 Feb 03, 2016 04:55PM
You have a choice 1 7 Feb 02, 2016 01:25PM
Shedding Light 1 4 Feb 01, 2016 05:50PM

• The Almanack of Naval Ravikant: A Guide to Wealth and Happiness
  • Kukuru
  • Dollars Flow To Me Easily
  • Choose Yourself: Be Happy, Make Millions, Live the Dream
  • It Works: The Famous Little Red Book That Makes Your Dreams Come True!
  • Make Her Chase You: The Guide to Attracting Girls Who Are "out of Your League" Even If You're Not Rich or Handsome
  • The Choose Yourself Guide To Wealth
  • Hell Yeah or No: what's worth doing
  • Direct Truth: Uncompromising, non-prescriptive Truths to the enduring questions of life
  • Stillness Is the Key
  • Kom uit je hoofd
  • Perfectly Hidden Depression: How to Break Free from the Perfectionism that Masks Your Depression
  • Think Like a Monk: Train Your Mind for Peace and Purpose Every Day
  • Quiet Your Inner Critic: Overcoming Imposter Syndrome to Get Gutsy and Play Bigger
  • The Way to Love
  • The Way of Integrity: Finding the Path to Your True Self
  • The Code of the Extraordinary Mind: 10 Unconventional Laws to Redefine Your Life and Succeed On Your Own Terms
  • As a Man Thinketh
See top shelves…
I've been fortunate enough to have some amazing experiences in my life so far. I've trekked to one of the highest base camps in the Himalayas, meditated with Tibetan monks in the Dalai Lama's monastery, earned my US Army Infantry patch, walked 550 miles across Spain, lived in Paris, been the only non-black, non-woman member of the Black Women's writers' group, written a novel, held the hands of dy ...more