Start by marking “Love Yourself Like Your Life Depends on It” as Want to Read:
Love Yourself Like Your Life Depends on It

Love Yourself Like Your Life Depends on It

In December of 2011, I gave a talk to an audience of scientists, Pentagon officials, politicians, and CEO's on the secret of life and how I'd figured it out the previous summer.

Afterwards, people came up individually and told me how much what I'd shared meant to them. This book is based on the truth I spoke about.

It's something I learned from within myself, something I be
Published June 7th 2012 by CreateSpace (first published May 25th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Love Yourself Like Your Life Depends on It, please sign up.
Anya This won't help you, as my reply's a year late, but hopefully it will the next person to come here wondering the same thing -- it's downloadable at
…more

Julie
Apr 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: healing
Yes, the book is short, simple and reiterates a familiar self-help axiom. No, it's probably not going to tell you anything you don't already know, at least intellectually.

But here's the thing: It's a really, really good place to start when you are so low you've forgotten everything you ever knew about being happy.

It's simple, stuff, really, the way he presents it. But it isn't so simple or obvious for the person who lives within a paradigm of fear. When dealing with anxiety (which is closely re
Matthew Trinetti
Nov 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
My main takeaway is this: Anything worth attaining, including your own happiness, takes practice and work.

A couple months ago, when I temporarily got lost [See: How to Get Lost] and forgot why I was traveling, I came to a simple realization: To prevent this from happening again, I must constantly remind myself why I’m here.

From that point on, I decided that every single day, I would reconnect with The Why. Daily. Constantly. Always remember why.

From this realization came another, simpler realiza
Ginger
Oct 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
I received this book recommendation from a friend. She battles depression and said this book helped her cope with some of her negative thoughts.

I knew this was about 68 pages so it wasn’t going to be overwhelming with self-help points.
I liked what the author did with this book. He didn’t dumb it down and he didn’t try to say more then what was needed. If you battle negative thoughts and struggle with mental health issues, this might help you as it helped my friend.

Good advice to change the negat
Cara
Feb 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Cara by: Mike Hrostoski (required reading for his men's conference)
Shelves: kindle, life
Very short, very simple book. The basic idea is that you repeat "I love myself" over and over in your head as a mantra, choosing to repeat that instead of the other junk that usually loops non-stop in there until you wear a new groove with it, deeper and better than the old ones. I probably would have dismissed the idea out of hand, but someone I respect a lot tried it and got results within only a few days. Ok, I'm game. I've been trying for years figure out how to love myself unconditionally. ...more
Donald
Jan 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The book did two things for me. It made me realize I didn't have to be a perfect person first to love myself, and it made me start loving myself from the first 15 minutes. I didn't think it was possible so early, ... what had I done but read a few chapters, but I had been trying to love myself from the outside in and not the inside out. There is something fundamentally different about his approach which is easy to start, makes actual physical sense, and can change the way you feel and view the w ...more
Tanya
Jun 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Was reminded of the quote "I share therefore I am" - Included the quotes I loved below,

“Besides, being a tourist in a crowded city is a guaranteed way to feel lonely. At least when you walk in nature, you are supposed to be alone.”

“This helps me feel a little better. I may not know the details of the pilgrimage, but I know how to walk.”

“Then, like the nuns from my one year at Catholic school, she firmly lists the rules.”

“I get the sense that I’m part of something bigger than myself. It’s a stra
Ben Azadi
Jun 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If you are in a funk I highly suggest you read this short but very magical book.
Vani
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My interview with the author, Kamal Ravikant.

Vani via Businessviews.in (Click here to read more: http://businessviews.in/love-thyself-...)

In an interview with author Vani Kaushal, American author Kamal Ravikant who wrote two bestsellers opens up on his craft, philosophy, and outlook on life.
Ravikant is famous as a writer. But in the United States, he is more popular as a Venture Capitalist, motivational speaker and founder of many start-ups in the Silicon Valley.

According to Bloomberg data, Ka
Melissa
Jul 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: referemce
If you are literate, you should read this book.
Jeremy
Feb 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is the shortest book I've ever read. In approximately 50 pages Kamal Ravikant vulnerably shares the story of his rise to early success that was quickly followed by his plummet to painful failure, severe depression, and chronic illness. This book chronicles the simple steps Kamal took to pick himself up, dust off, and rise again to an entirely new level of abundant living far greater than financial success. Every day we hear and celebrate the success of others. We rarely hear of the challeng ...more
Ryan Andrew Murphy
May 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing

I hate this book. It disgusts me. Every word of it feels like a lie.

But here’s the problem: i know why it made me sick; i know why reading (listening to) it felt like being constantly punched in the gut. I had to stop every five minutes to literally keep myself from throwing up. It made me angry.

But i kept going back. Every time, when the nausea passed, i picked up where i’d left off. I took it like the awful, revolting medicine i wanted it to be; i took it in, hoping that somehow it might act
Zandra
I cannot express my disdain for this cover. This is pretty much THE LAST COVER I need clients to see as they battle suicidal thoughts or ideations. And people are right, this is fluff. Even if it wasn't, I still could not use this because THE BOOK HAS A FRIGGIN' SILHOUETTE OF A DUDE WITH A GUN TO HIS HEAD. Cut it out man! Mayhem and foolishness.
Gilgamesha
Apr 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At the most this was a half hour read. It right from the heart though. A personal journey of thriving despite detrimental failures and overcoming hopelessness despite loss. It has a very simple yet powerful message. Read it.
Andrew Teperdjian
Mar 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A 68 paged book about loving oneself. On an honest note I did not think my interest or patients was going to last but strangely enough I enjoyed every word of it. This book starts off with the author rather than talking greatly of himself and how many books he has sold like other writers would do, he writes of himself in a lower status of emotional confidence which I found extremely ironic considering the title of the book. As I continued on to read it started to feel like a speech, but not a ba ...more
Charlie
Aug 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
Yeah.. I didn't like this book at all. It's supposedly on some "Top Books To Read Before You're 25" list, but I found it superficial, lacking in substance and I thought it has the potential to cause a lot of people harm.

All through reading the book I kept on thinking what if Raskalnikov from Crime and Punishment was reading this? Or Heathcliff from Wuthering Heights? Or Jane Eyre?

It seems ridiculous to think of these brilliant characters, these extraordinary people overcoming the trials they fac
Daniël van den Bos
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: geluisterd
Glenda
Sep 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Quick read, some good (but difficult to follow) advice as I find it hard to stop the negative thoughts in my head that have been built there as he says as pathways, some since childhood - but worth trying, nevertheless. And this reinforces so much of what I've read in other books about the value of meditation.

A couple of the quotes I like:

"The key, at least for me, has been to let go. Let go of the ego, let go of attachments, let go of who I think I should be, who others think I should be."

"Fea
Doranne Long
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book; short, sweet, to the point, and life changing. Highlights for me:
*commit to a thought, repeat it, keep on repeating it until ingrained.
*when caught in negative loop, flip the switch onto a positive mind set.
*thoughts are like clouds, we can choose which ones we focus on, and for how long.
Richard Mulholland
This book ends with the following line :

"This book could have been a cover, plus one almost blank page with two words in the middle: Love yourself."

I find myself wishing that it was.

It's a short little book that's ironically still a little too long. It probably should have been a long blog post (at least for me, others love it).

It went from 4* to 3* to the final 2. That's pretty sad.
||Swaroop||
Jan 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Simple and meaningful!

"When in darkness, don't fight it. You can't win. Just find the nearest switch, turn on the light."

Thanks Kamal.
Nastaran Heydari
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1397
I really liked this book. I needed to read a book like this and I think I should try the solutions the author suggested in his book. I hope they work for me as well :)
Damana Madden
Book 49 is Love Yourself Like Your Life Depends on It by Kamal Ravikant.

I wanted to love his book like I love myself but it felt like a sales pitch.

Kamal did sound sincere and vulnerable but he also sounded like he was selling an inflatable version of self confidence. Not the fake self confidence but truly believing in yourself.

As a disciple of cognitive behavioural therapy, I know you can reset your pathways and think differently. He didn't even touch the science around that. It was more of a "
Sasha
Sep 16, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle, nonfiction, spirit
It's basically a 99c ebook. You can hardly go wrong.

Yes, the book's a teensy bit corny. But it's an interesting idea. Any time you go deeply into a practice like that, it can have those kinds of effects, whatever the practice is.

Virtually all of us tend to neglect ourselves more than we should. Even when we finally improve some of those famous lifestyle habits in some important respects, the overall pattern often remains the same or similar. I don't think your perspective has to be the same as t
Stephanie
Jul 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is the simplest answer to breaking through. There is nothing wrong with falling in love with yourself. It's not about being cocky, selfish or putting yourself in your own world to forget about everyone else you love. It's about showing love to everything and everyone around you...by loving you first. Absolutely amazing understanding of how simple it is to be a human being, and how easily we can control our peace of mind.
Dave Mcgurgan
Jul 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Surprisingly good and refreshing

I ended up liking this book quite a bit. Its message can be seen as overly simplified. But I think that would be missing the point and dismissing the author's assertions as too elementary. The tone is easy to read and direct and you get a taste of the author's life, buy this a small, brief and fairly persuasive book.
Davor Katusic
Jul 25, 2016 rated it did not like it
This was a waste of time. Fortunately not too much time. It is suited for people who are desperate for help, like some drug addicts or broken hearted low confidence folks, but who with the common sense could comit to the effort of repeating I love myself all the time? I am not convinced and to make it work, you have to be convinced without a doubt.
Rachel Reed
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
I bailed out without finishing... I really don't have the time to spend all day every day telling myself I love myself. I thought self affirmation had been de-bunked long ago. My act of self love was to stop reading this and start reading a novel instead.
Moza I.
Feb 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this via Audible. Its short and sweet. I liked the tone of the narration and the simple message of the book: how powerful it is to practice have a loving self conversation on a daily basis.
André Bueno
Sep 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Quick read and very practical.

Drive yourself into the "I love myself" mind loop. Meditate on this by breathing in "I love myself" and exhale out what the world has suppressed inside of you. Look in the mirror and repeat "I love myself" by looking into one of your eyes for 5 minutes.
Karan Bajaj
Jan 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book surprisingly touching. I didn't expect it to have such a deep or lasting impact. I found it through James Altucher's recommendation. A quick read, but worthwhile.
Modern Entreprene...: Meditation 3 11 Feb 11, 2016 03:20PM
Modern Entreprene...: Not Useful 1 11 Feb 04, 2016 04:29PM
Modern Entreprene...: Love Yourself Like Your Life Depends on It 1 9 Feb 03, 2016 04:59PM
Modern Entreprene...: You Have a Choice 1 8 Feb 03, 2016 04:55PM
You have a choice 1 7 Feb 02, 2016 01:25PM
Shedding Light 1 3 Feb 01, 2016 05:50PM
  • Facets of Unity: The Enneagram of Holy Ideas
  • Trauma Releasing Exercises
  • Play It Away: A Workaholic's Cure for Anxiety
  • The Writer's Manifesto
  • Love Worth Making: How to Have Ridiculously Great Sex in a Lasting Relationship
  • I Was Blind But Now I See
  • Love Is a Story: A New Theory of Relationships
  • Journey of the Heart: The Path of Conscious Love
  • The Philosopher's Diet: How to Lose Weight & Change the World
  • The Early To Rise Experience: Learn To Rise Early in 30 Days
  • Why?: What Your Life Is Telling You about Who You Are and Why You're Here
  • You Are The One You've Been Waiting For: Bringing Courageous Love To Intimate Relationships
  • Embracing the Beloved: Relationship as a Path of Awakening
  • Lost and Found: Unexpected Revelations about Food and Money
  • In Search of the Miraculous
  • How Not to Be Afraid of Your Own Life: Opening Your Heart to Confidence, Intimacy, and Joy
  • The "Unknown" Reality, Vol. 1: A Seth Book
  • Cupid's Poisoned Arrow: From Habit to Harmony in Sexual Relationships
I've been fortunate enough to have some amazing experiences in my life so far. I've trekked to one of the highest base camps in the Himalayas, meditated with Tibetan monks in the Dalai Lama's monastery, earned my US Army Infantry patch, walked 550 miles across Spain, lived in Paris, been the only non-black, non-woman member of the Black Women's writers' group, written a novel, held the hands of dy ...more
“This day, I vow to myself to love myself, to treat myself as someone I love truly and deeply - in my thoughts, my actions, the choices I make, the experiences I have, each moment I am conscious, I make the decision I LOVE MYSELF.” 28 likes
“This I know: the mind, left to itself, repeats the same stories, the same loops.  Mostly ones that don't serve us.  So what's practical, what's transformative, is to consciously choose a thought.  Then practice it again and again.  With emotion, with feeling, with acceptance.   Lay down the synaptic pathways until the mind starts playing it automatically.  Do this with enough intensity over time and the mind will have no choice.  That's how it operates.  Where do you think your original loops came from?” 13 likes