Start by marking “The Art of Procrastination: A Guide to Effective Dawdling, Lollygagging and Postponing” as Want to Read:

This is not a book for Bill Gates. Or Hillary Clinton, or Steven Spielberg. Clearly they have no trouble getting stuff done. For the great majority of us, though, what a comfort to discover that we’re not wastrels and slackers, but doers . . . in our own way. It may sound counterintuitive, but according to philosopher John Perry, you can accomplish a lot by putting things ...more
Published September 13th 2012 by Workman

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Procrastination, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Procrastination

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
This is a great little book. I should review it, but I'll probably never get around to it.
Nina
I should've been studying Latin instead of reading this.
Yes, Latin is compulsory in Italy. Now do you see why I procrastinate?

Jokes aside, this was very very interesting. It was a gift from my Dad - he knows me so well - and I'm grateful for that. I don't think I would have ever gotten anywhere near this book on my own - it looked too much some weird brand of that self-help shit that I despise.
However, it was so very cool to see my irrational tendency not to do things when I should do them ratio
Annie
Nov 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I got this book about a year ago, and I finally got around to reading it this morning. This is a quick and insightful read, and I recommend it to all my fellow procrastinators out there.

I thought I was just a procrastinator, but it turns out I am a structured procrastinator (I get a lot of things done, just not the things I'm supposed to be working on (I'm also a horizontal organizer (which is where you tend to spread papers out on horizontal surfaces instead of using vertical filing cabinets) a
Dmitry Vesnin
May 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-short
прочитал эту книгу вместо той сложной, которую хотел прочитать.
Netta
Mar 28, 2018 added it
Shelves: read-2018
Hilarious, not utterly useless book which helped me realise I'm not at all a procrastinator.
Neslihan
Yapılacak onca işim varken bu kitabı okumuş olmam benim tam da bu kitabın hitap ettiği kişilerden biri olduğumun küçük bir kanıtı.

Adının "Erteleme Sanatı" olmasına veya içinde kullanılan kötü fonta aldırış etmeden kitabı alıp okumaya başlamamın nedeni de bu. Kitap tam da beklediğim gibiydi. Sizinle aynı dertten muzdarip eğlenceli bir arkadaşınız ile o dert üzerine geyik yaptığınızı, sizin gibi olmayanların bolca kulaklarını çınlattığınızı düşünün.

Eğlenceli vakit geçirdim ve gerçekten de kendim
Michael Burnam-Fink
Sep 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
Hi, my name is Michael, and I'm a procrastinator. So when I heard about this book from a friend, I felt a brief flame of hope that this would help me conquer what ails me, finish my dissertation in a timely manner, and ride off into the sunset in a blaze of glory. Or something like that.

This book is mostly an affirmation of the idea that you can be procrastinator and still get things done. Perry introduces the theory of 'structured procrastination', based on Robert Benchley's quip that "Anyone c
Iris
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Leuk, kort boek over uitstelgedrag. Moest regelmatig hardop lachen omdat het zó herkenbaar was. Ter illustratie: ik moet eigenlijk boodschappen doen want de supermarkt gaat zo dicht, dus ik voel me nu zeer gemotiveerd om deze review op dit moment te schrijven. 'Structured procrastination' heet dat, weet ik nu. Niet echt een zelfhulpboek om uitstelgedrag te verminderen, maar wel om je minder slecht te voelen over je uitstelgedrag.
Rose
Initial reaction: Quick little guide for understanding the structured procrastinator and horizontal organizer, whether you are one or know someone who is. I did like Perry's respective musings and explanations, though I'll admit I didn't really learn much that I didn't already know about procrastination (and I'll admit I'm guilty of it myself). Still, I think this book is worth picking up just to see Perry's thoughts on the matter, and he does give good resources/thoughts about the subject.

Full
Carmen Pacheco
Dec 21, 2014 rated it did not like it
No puedo decir que este libro no me haya ayudado, porque lo cierto es que me ha hecho reflexionar bastante sobre mis propios hábitos de trabajo. Si lo que se describe aquí es procrastinación puede que yo no sea una procrastinadora en absoluto sino una persona ultraeficiente. Eso explicaría lo poco que he conectado con el libro y lo mucho que he llegado a indignarme con algunos capítulos. En mi opinión este libro es una oda a la autoindulgencia, lleno de justificaciones para ser un jeta y un vago ...more
Célia Machado
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cinco estrelas pela boa disposição do autor e pelo ardiloso esquema de "fraude em pirâmide" interior que sugere para o "procrastinador". Quase fiquei convencida- eu, a especialista em engonhar-, não fosse o próprio admitir ter começado a trabalhar no livro para, de consciência menos pesada, poder adiar tarefas importantes. Desculpo-lhe a fraca capacidade de persuasão pelo facto de ser um leigo em questões de psicologia. John Perry é filósofo; perito, também, em "adiar, enrolar e engonhar".

"Se qu
Matt Diephouse
Dec 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book was short, light-hearted, and interesting. A pretty terrific combo.

A summary of the contents, by chapter:

1. Procrastinators can still get things done. Practice "structured procrastination", where you avoid some large, actually unimportant task by completing other, actually important tasks.

2. Procrastination is often caused by a desire to do something perfectly. Give yourself permission to do merely an adequate job on something and you may find the time to do it.

3. To-do lists are an ef
Hilary
Oct 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult, non-fiction
Looking for a self help book to help you become less of a procrastinator? Don't look here! Inside you will find, instead, a short quick read that will assure you that it's okay to procrastinate, because while putting off one task you are usually completing another task, and really isn't that what being productive is all about? Perry does give one tip for helping the procrastinator manage life more easily - to do lists. Guess who's got a to do list right in front of her that was made before this ...more
Marie-aimée
May 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fr, philosophy
Comment se remonter le moral quand on l'impression de n'avoir rien fait de sa journée? Lisez ce livre! L'auteur donne beaucoup d'anecdotes personnelles, du quotidien et de sa vie professionnelle. Il définit en phrase simple ce qu'est la procrastination et ses liens avec les perfectionnistes. C'était drôle, direct et positif! On peut résumer en un mot : LOL. Mais que fait-on si on est un demi-procrastinateur?
Ilknur Durgar El-Kahlout
Yazarın, sistematik erteleyici dediği grupta bir insan olarak çok keyif alarak okuduğum bir kitap oldu. Stanford Üniversitesi felsefe profesörü olan yazar, ertelemeyi alışkanlık haline getirmiş insanlara bu huylarından vazgeçirmeye yönelik (çoğu zaman içi boş) öneriler sunmak yerine çektikleri vicdan azabını azaltmayı hedeflemiş. Aslında erteleyicilerin tahminlerinden daha çok işi kotardıklarını fark etmelerini keyifli bir dille anlatmış. "Bir kitap okudum ve hayatım değişti" yerine "bir kitap o ...more
Nafise
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook
پیش فرضم از خوندن این کتاب کمک به حل مشکل "دقیقه نودی بودن"م بود ولی کتاب در واقع یک روایت از زندگی و مغز آدم های "اهمال کار" (نمی دونم ترجمه درستیه یا نه. خودم همون "دقیقه نودی بودن" رو ترجیح می دم) هست. هدف نویسنده اینه که حس بدی که آدم های "اهمال کار" به خودشون دارند از بین بره. واقعیت اینه که منم خوندن این کتاب رو تموم کردم در جهت عقب انداختن کار مهم تری و در اولیت تری :)) البته یک سری نکات و راه حل ها هم توی متن گفته شده و باید بعدا ؛)) مرور کنم
Spicy T AKA Mr. Tea
Perry wrote a short and sweet little book about structured procrastination. It reminded me of my professor's essay on gossip in college--kind of an ethics of everyday life mixed with a little humor. I think he starts out strong, by the middle i felt like he made procrastinators out to be a bit shallow/manipulative, and then finished ok. Quick read, accessible, and I felt like most of it was thoughtfully written. Like I said, in the middle or so, he kind of comes off, maybe, a little smug, which ...more
Troy Blackford
Jan 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a diverting and amusing short piece on the virtues of 'The Art of Procrastination.' Couched among its humorous jests and personal anecdotes are some interesting ruminations and advice on how the procrastinator can channel their natural tendencies towards increased productivity without needing to combat their essential nature as a procrastinator. Amusing stuff, and well worth a read!
Jon
May 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, productivity
Four stars mainly for being quite funny as well as the author's example of a healthy coming to terms with this common and sometimes maddening human trait that often functions at deeper levels and more complex reasons than a mere lack of discipline.
Jaye
Feb 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013, non-fiction
Exellent marketing of this book.
It's small in every way.
I didn't have to put off reading it at all.
And it had me expanding my "to-do" list so I can cross off
more things I've done in order to pat myself on the back more often.
Lpeterso
Feb 01, 2017 rated it liked it
What would you expect to find in a book about procrastination? Well, for starters, you wouldn't expect a tome on the subject; maybe something more along the lines of a pamphlet would be about right. Perhaps a little bit of an explanation of the pros and cons of procrastination. Maybe some tips about how to do it less. Yes?

If you are a person who sometimes feels guilty for procrastinating this is a little gem that may help you find the silver lining, and maybe even make that silver lining bigger.
Elçin
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sistematik bir erteleyici olduğumu keşfetmemi sağlayan bir kitap oldu benim için. Okurken hiç sıkılmadım ancak kitabı neden okuduğuma da bir cevap buldum: Ders çalışmaktan kaçmak için. Bir nevi ders çalışmayı ertelemiş oldum bu kitapla (ehehhehe)

Gerçekten eğlenceliydi, pek çok yerde güldüm. Kitapta belli başlı öneriler yer alıyordu. Bunların bir kısmını ezelden beri uyguladığım için tavsiyeler çok yararıma dokunmadı. Yine de okuması hoştu, yalnız olmadığımı anladım.

Son olarak bir alıntı: "Yarı
Daniel
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Daniel by: Sebastian Hellmann
I honestly cannot remember when I had that much fun with a book. And on top of that, it gave me a refreshing new perspective on procrastination that I found helpful even though I would not call myself a procrastinator. A quick read that's absolutely worth it!
Ivan Tchernev
Feb 26, 2019 rated it liked it
A cute, quick little read designed to make procrastinators feel better about life. Appropriately, I'm reviewing this rather than work on something else I should be doing. Better get back to it!
Guang Hao Chong
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
An easy to read book. If it was any thicker, I would surely have procrastinated reading to the end.
Nadja •٠·˙☾✭
I'll read it
tomorrow
Chiblutis
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good, quick read for when you're procrastinating reading other, bigger books!
John
Jun 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: procrastinators, lollygaggers, dawdlers
This reader must admit that the word "mañana," Spanish for "tomorrow," is a beautiful term. It even has a nice ring to it.

Yet I must agree with author John Perry. As he says in his book The Art of Procrastination , and subtitled A Guide to Effective Dawdling, Lollygagging and Postponing, there is a fine art to this. In fact, most good dawdlers at least aspire to be structured procrastinators, and Dr. Perry does a good job of explaining this in his book.

The title to this book may sound funny, an
Miguel
Mar 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: resenha-sqf

É professor universitário e filósofo e os artigos que escreveu ao longo das últimas décadas foram publicados nas mais variadas e importantes revistas de cariz filosófico. Alguns desses ensaios foram coligidos em livro, como A Dialogue on Personal Identity and Immortality (1978) e Reference and Reflexivity (2001). John Perry é um profícuo pensador e as suas reflexões sobre lógica, filosofia da linguagem e da mente têm sido contributos importantes para quem
Gavin
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
structured procrastinator: a person who gets a lot done by [consciously] not doing other [important] things.

This book didn't exactly change my life, but it made me feel better about what I was already doing. (Before, I'd been calling it slingshot akrasia.)

Structured procrastination is that staple from stand-up comedy where the best way to get yourself to tidy your entire house is to sit down to do your taxes.

: All of my reviews, all of my essays were written in the glow and shadow of other thin
  • Collective Intelligence: Mankind's Emerging World in Cyberspace
  • Beyond Blue: Surviving  Depression & Anxiety and Making the Most of Bad Genes
  • The Self-Esteem Companion: Simple Exercises to Help You Challenge Your Inner Critic and Celebrate Your Personal Strengths
  • The Government of Self and Others: Lectures at the Collège de France, 1982–1983
  • The Woman in the Mirror: How to Stop Confusing What You Look Like with Who You Are
  • Think Happy: Instant Peptalks to Boost Positivity
  • The Art of Conflict Management: Achieving Solutions for Life, Work, and Beyond
  • Zen and the Art of Consciousness
  • Unstuff Your Life!: Kick the Clutter Habit and Completely Organize Your Life for Good
  • The First Scientist: Anaximander and His Legacy
  • The Game
  • Changes That Heal: Workbook
  • Planning Your Novel: Ideas and Structure (Foundations of Fiction #1)
  • The Joy of Doing Just Enough
  • Showing & Telling: Learn How to Show & When to Tell for Powerful & Balanced Writing
  • The Villain's Guide to Better Living
  • The Ballad of Les Darcy
  • The User's Guide to the Human Mind: Why Our Brains Make Us Unhappy, Anxious, and Neurotic and What We Can Do about It

John R. Perry (born 1943) is Henry Waldgrave Stuart Professor of Philosophy at Stanford University and Distinguished Professor of Philosophy at the University of California, Riverside. He has made significant contributions to areas of philosophy, including logic, philosophy of language, metaphysics, and philoso
“When I was a young philosopher, I asked a senior colleague, Pat Suppes (then and now a famous philosopher of science and an astute student of human nature), what the secret of happiness was. Instead of giving me advice, he made a rather droll observation about what a lot of people who were happy with themselves seem to have done, namely:
1. Take a careful inventory of their shortcomings and flaws
2. Adopt a code of values that treats these things as virtues
3. Admire themselves for living up to it
Brutal people admire themselves for being manly; compulsive pedants admire themselves for their attention to detail; naturally selfish and mean people admire themselves for their dedication to helping the market reward talent and punish failure, and so on.”
9 likes
“I really have nothing against rationality, or even doing what you think is best, or doing what is more likely to satisfy your desires. I have tried these strategies at various times, occasionally with good results. But I think the ideal of the rational agent is the source of lots of needless unhappiness. It's not the way many of us operate; it's certainly not the way I operate. And operating the way we do usually works just fine, and really isn't a reason to hang our heads in shame and despair.” 3 likes