Start by marking “Research-Based Strategies to Ignite Student Learning: Insights from a Neurologist and Classroom Teacher” as Want to Read:

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  150 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
In this book, written by an author who is both a neurologist and a classroom teacher, Judy Willis combs through brain research and pulls out the information that is most valid and relevant to classroom teaching. Find out how to enhance your students' memory and test-taking abilities. And discover ways to captivate and hold students' attention and encourage their participat ...more
Paperback
Published August 3rd 2007 by Association for Supervision & Curriculum Development (first published August 1st 2006)

Be the first to ask a question about Research-Based Strategies to Ignite Student Learning

Christy
Apr 12, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: professional
Author is a neurologist turned middle school math teacher. Text focuses on brain research and student engagement. Excellent chapter on assessment practices. Favorite quote: "Nonscientists, especially partisan politicians or corporations with vested interest in a particular curriculum or government-endorsed education policy, can take unscrupulous advantage of the changeability in scientific research results to misread data as support for their vested interests.”
Kristine
Jul 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: professional
Highly repetitive text with the same ideas rewritten multiple times. I did not find the text to be organized in a way for easily tracking and following the content.
Tara
Jul 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed what this book offered. Many of the ideas presented weren't necessarily NEWS to this educator, but I did learn about the neurology behind some practices. I was happy to see some of the practices that are pushed by educational consultants and administrators are actually counterproductive. I'm happy that I can go into the next school year armed with this book to justify some of my choices.

I anticipate making some changes to my classroom based on Willis's suggestions; that is the highest
Erin Dobrow
May 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
I LOVE JUDY WILLIS - need I say more??? This book has a wealth of information that I have referenced time & time again during the course of my post-bacc certification program and my Masters program. Any teacher that is interested in the most effective and efficient ways to reach students should take a look at Willis' work - it's amazing and full of scientific and research-based approaches that make you sit back and say, "Why didn't I think of this???"
Connie White
Aug 02, 2012 added it
Recommends it for: Anyone
Loved the book! Judy Willis is a neurologist turned educator. She provides a wealth of information and research-based suggestions about how to engage students in the learning process
Nicole Adamowicz
Nov 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic, incredibly useful and practical resource for all teachers, no matter the grade level or subject.
Hannah
Mar 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great strategies!
Things that seem intuitive backed by data :-)
Kimberly
Dec 06, 2008 is currently reading it
Shelves: textbooks
Child Development class text. Fall 2008
Spacek Kim
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Brain research connects with practical teaching strategies. The author approaches education from a growth mindset. A quick read and well worth it.
David Bates
Aug 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Briefly, the research is good. Her strategies seem kind of gimicky. That failing isn't very important since anyone could think up other ways of getting the same thing done.
Julie Worthington
Aug 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book had some very interesting information that I will definately put to use in my own classroom.
Tina McLaughlin
Aug 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Intriguing and useful. It explained much of the research that I've read, and it gave many useful classroom ideas to make the research effective. Thanks, Andrea, for the incredible birthday gift!
Peggy
Apr 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Good strategies for older (not preschool) children
Uröš Mikolič
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • How the Brain Learns
  • Enriching the Brain: How to Maximize Every Learner's Potential
  • Discipline with Dignity: New Challenges, New Solutions
  • Holding on to Good Ideas in a Time of Bad Ones: Six Literacy Principles Worth Fighting for
  • Naked Reading: Uncovering What Tweens Need to Become Lifelong Readers
  • Bringing Words to Life: Robust Vocabulary Instruction
  • Boy Writers: Reclaiming Their Voices
  • 6 + 1 Traits of Writing: The Complete Guide: Grades 3  Up: Everything You Need to Teach and Assess Student Writing With This Powerful Model
  • Catching Readers Before They Fall: Supporting Readers Who Struggle, K-4
  • Better Learning Through Structured Teaching: A Framework for the Gradual Release of Responsibility
  • In Defense of Read-Aloud: Sustaining Best Practice
  • Nonfiction Matters: Reading, Writing, and Research in Grades 3-8
  • Nonfiction Craft Lessons: Teaching Information Writing K-8
  • Making the Most of Small Groups: Differentiation for All
  • After "the End": Teaching and Learning Creative Revision
  • The Greatest Science Stories Never Told: 100 Tales of Invention and Discovery to Astonish, Bewilder, and Stupefy
  • Conferring with Readers: Supporting Each Student's Growth and Independence