Start by marking “Eve's Seed: Biology, the Sexes, and the Course of History” as Want to Read:
Eve's Seed: Biology, the Sexes, and the Course of History

Eve's Seed: Biology, the Sexes, and the Course of History

In this provocative reinterpretation of the human experience, Robert S. McElvaine has broken ranks with his fellow historians and answered the call made by E.O. Wilson in Consilience, that humanistic scholars must begin to draw upon the natural sciences in order to fully understand the human condition. Bridging the gap between evolutionary biology and cultural history, McE ...more
Published July 1st 2002 by McGraw-Hill Companies (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Eve's Seed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eve's Seed

Christine
Jul 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommended to Christine by: Atwood
A bit dry at some points, a little repeatitive in others. Yet, I am extremely happy I read this. Very interesting discussion about Gensis and Ekkidu among other things.
Julie
May 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
I took exception to Robert McElvaine's reiterated claim that there's never been a matriarchal society, especially on the heels of this passage which in my mind is akin to the limitlessness of space.

A major problem with historical interpretation is that historians have usually spoken of the time a few centuries before 3000 B.C.E. when writing was invented as the "dawn of history," and then proceeded to act as if it were also the dawn of human existence. Most textbooks in world or Western civiliz
Dec 21, 2009 rated it it was ok
I was thrilled to win this book and it took me a really long time to read it. It was good but at times long-winded and more like reading a history or a biology book. This is why it took so long to read and I had a really hard time getting into it. It covers the differences of the sexes from Adam and Eve all the way to present day society. I don't think I would have gone out and bought this book, still an interesting read.
Shad
Sep 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone into gender studies
I LOVED this book! He takes on a task vastly beyond him, but what he achieves is worth the read!
I especially loved the part about language: (learning how) SO MUCH of our language is built around degrading women and womanhood.

It's size is a bit intimidating, but you can skip sections pretty easily. At all interested in gender studies? READ THIS BOOK PLZ =)
Pat
Nov 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Great thinking exercise about a possible explanation for why men have treated women so subordinately at least for the past 10,000 years (with the advent of agriculture). Who knows how true are McElvaine's speculations but they have stuck with me for a long time to CONSIDER.
Mazola1
Apr 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
An ambitious book with big ideas. I'm not sure he's right, but his thoughts are intiguing -- part science, part philosophy, part literary criticism. It brings a lot of things together in a new way. Parts are redundant, and he makes his points over and over, but all in all it was a good read.
Rose
Dec 06, 2008 rated it it was ok
Certainly had a interetsing take on common events that seem to be set in stone in many people's minds. Was worth the read and really made you think.
William Thistle
Mar 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Great read; fantastic summary of feminist criticism
Maria
Apr 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
One of my favorites....Definitely delves into the Ancient Goddess :D You can see the progression and patriarchal influence throughout the ages as well.
Cory
Chelsea Badger
Feb 11, 2016
Lisa
Sep 28, 2011
Robert S. McElvaine is Elizabeth Chisholm Professor of Arts and Letters and Chair of the Department of History at Millsaps College in Jackson, Mississippi.