Start by marking “Monster (Alex Delaware, #13)” as Want to Read:
Monster (Alex Delaware, #13)

Monster

(Alex Delaware #13)

Alex Delaware is back! And in Jonathan Kellerman’s riveting and ingenious new novel, Monster, he faces one of the most grisly and baffling mysteries of his career: How can a nonfunctional psychotic locked up in a supposedly secure institution for homicidal madmen predict brutal murders in the outside world? Delaware and his friend and partner Detective Milo Sturgis must pe ...more
Published December 7th 1999 by Random House (NY)

To ask other readers questions about Monster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monster

jv poore
Mar 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Always a fan of Mr. Kellerman, Monster does not disappoint. I found this to be an intricately woven mystery with plenty of new and colorful characters to enrich the tantalizing plot; but not so many that a separate spreadsheet would be necessary to keep up. This story features the sweet and smart Alex Delaware and his pal, the mighty Milo. The story allows the reader to "solve" the mystery along with the characters, meaning the story-line stuck in my head like an annoying jingle. I HAD to know i ...more
aPriL does feral sometimes
In this Delaware mystery, number 13, a mentally ill 'monster' is killing people. Maybe. Alex Delaware, my favorite fictional psychologist and amateur detective superhero, is called in when bodies are found horribly mutilated, obviously the work of a deranged killer. Because Alex cares and has the time and credentials, he helps Milo Sturgis, one of my favorite fictional professional detectives, gain access to a hospital prison, where various types of mentally ill live. The evidence shows that an ...more
Larry Bassett
Oct 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime, psychology, mystery
This is my first Jonathan Kellerman book. He has been on my TBR list for some time but I was slow to get to him because I am reading so many other series. I am in the midst of Andrew Vachss, Sara Paretsky, Loren Estleman, Michael Connolly, Scott Turow, Karin Slaughter, George Pelecanos and probably a few more that I am not remembering right now.

Monster is the thirteenth book in the twenty-eight book Alex Delaware series that began in 1981 and is still ongoing. I am starting in the middle with th
Susan Poling
Jun 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries, fiction
This is the second time I've read this book. I picked it up at the ESL book sale and got to the second chapter before realizing I'd already read it. However, since I didn't remember the ending, I decided to read it again and found it very enjoyable...that is if you like rather gory subject matter. I always enjoy the Alex Delaware books. He and Milo make a great pair of investigator. I also like seeing what is happening in Alex's girlfriend, Robin, life. If you haven't read any of them, try one, ...more
DAISY DISNEY
Kimberly Dull
Mar 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Overall, this was a good story. The plot is clever and interesting. But I feel that the book itself could have used a good edit (or a different editor).

First, the writing itself felt like Kellerman was more interested in reaching a word count instead of telling his story. I like descriptiveness as much as the next person, but it felt overboard much of the time. Exacting descriptions of what a person is wearing or exactly what roads are being taken and buildings are being passed during a drive g
Renee
Jan 08, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
Meh. I usually like Jonathan Kellerman books but I had a hard time getting into this one. I kept wanting it to end...and then it did.
Andrea
Nov 20, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok...a female psychologist in her thirties tires of her career in academia and chooses to work in a forensic institution east of Los Angeles. About six months into her job she turns up dead. Seriously, this is the plot. I kid you not. Meanwhile I'm still reading and working.
Susan
Jul 18, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wished I'd skipped this one

I did not find this Delaware story interesting. Too matter-of-fact. Interesting idea, but no motive for the murders left me wanting more. I know in life sometimes things work that way, but it doesn't have to in books.
Eric Smith
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, thriller
One of the best books in this series so far. I don’t want to say to much so as not to ruin anything but this book takes the reader on the slow journey into the motivations and actions of a monster that’s all to human and gives a glimpse of the senseless darkness and malicious glee that’s possible when a psychopath can truly cut loose with intent and nothing to lose.
An absolutely fascinating read that moves at an ever increasing pace that’s hard to put down.
Gary
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
This was good. Much of the story was internal dialogue, or sorting out possibilities which sounds boring but wasn't- at least not to me. I found myself mulling through possibilities and felt that this writing style pulled me further into the world of the author. The main character, Delaware, is likable and relatable which also helped.
David Highton
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Other episode in the Alex Delaware & Milo Sturgis casebook as the murder of a psychologist in a high security mental health institution shows similiarities with the murder of an out-of-work actor some months earlier. Good plot with a solid pace throughout.
Diane
Aug 27, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Closer to 3.5. I’ve never read an Alex Delaware novel I didn’t enjoy. Sometimes they are a little bit far fetched but most crime novels tend to be. Still an enjoyable read.
Amanda
Jul 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hey look, I read this out of order. Surprise!

I've had this book for over 17 years. I know this because the bookplate in the front has my old address. I had a strange feeling of deja vu when I read this but I also don't think I've read this before. Ardis Peake is a mad man and his killings were what sounded familiar.

Anywho, Dr. Delaware is back again helping solve a series of strange murders that, on the surface, don't really look related. But somehow, things tie back to Peake, locked up in Star
David
Mar 20, 2019 added it
Shelves: new-in-2019
An interesting trompe l’oeil in which the monster of the title (nominally) is a complete innocent, and true monstrosity manifests itself in less obvious, more destructive demons.
Bhargavi Balachandran
Monster is the third Kellerman novel I've read and with every book read,I like his writing even more. I picked up this book at a bargain at a second hand store as i don't normally buy my copies of thrillers and borrow them from libraries.Faintly reminiscent of The silence of the lambs and more of ,Hannibal Lecter, I found the book spine chilling and gripping.The pace is not really high-adrenaline inducing,but Alex Delaware and his LAPD buddy Milo chip away industriously at uncertainty to make se ...more
Amber
Oct 10, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book to be a creative individual story; however, I also thought that it was drug out longer than it needed to be. Jonathan Kellerman keeps his reader involved throughout the first half of the story, but in the second half I felt like he was filling pages and not making very much progress in the story line. I thought that he was repeating a lot, and spending too much time explaining how the characters felt about something and not enough with what actually was happening.
Even though I
Strawberry Fields
This book a little hard for me got into at first. I struggled through about the first 100 or so pages, but I stuck with it because I knew from what I had gotten through that this book had the potential to be really good. The plot is a great story.

Once I got through that section of the book it really started moving. The story is compelling. I enjoyed it.

So, I give it a three, only because it was so hard at the beginning. I read these books out of order. This was actually the 13th in a series and
Lisa
Feb 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Really good. in fact one of my favourites so far.
It kept me guessing and I really liked the characterizations.The story is gripping due to the difficulty in understanding how and why everything is happening.

Involving the death of an actor as well as a psychiatrist who apparently had no connection, the trail leads back to a historical slaughter and to a maximum security asylum.

I read it out of order, so cringe when I read the relations between Alex and Robin, but like the suspense of this twisted
Laura T
Jul 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes you just need read a really good, twisty crime novel. This is a good one to pick up, if you do. I found it original and interesting. The only drawback to the book that I found was that the ending lags quite a bit. I'm sure that Kellerman thought he would up the suspense by describing every single rock and shrub and star and breeze during the final scenes, but it had the reverse effect on me and I just got profoundly bored. Despite that, I enjoyed the book as a whole.
Ben Skyrme
May 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up on the basis of the synopsis, having forgotten to take my book on holiday. Hadn't read any of Kellerman's books beforehand, but will definitely be seeking out more -especially in the Alex Delaware series. A clever thriller with several plot twists, I recommend this to anyone who likes detective thrillers.
Liberty
Oct 10, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would normally say that I'm not a fan of thrillers. Clearly the fact that I'm on book 13 of a 30 books series means I enjoy it... The best part if Kellerman's descriptions of his main characters driving around Los Angeles. It's crazy how much things have changed. Parts of the city they describe as "gritty" are high end now...
Cupcakencorset
Apr 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really strong entry in this series, with twists throughout. And the feel of the setting (Los Angeles, just before the turn of the century/millenium) was far more familiar, with fewer distractions to pull a current reader out of the story itself. For example, there was far less gay-bashing, almost no casual smoking, less obvious sexism. I really liked it.
Nancy
Aug 23, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Two similar murders lead Alex & Milo to a mental institution where an inmate who was locked up during the murders seems to have some intel on the possibility of future murders. Secrets and manipulations of vulnerable people are discovered, in this lack luster thriller.
Nomanisan
As always with Kellerman, well-written, quick, suspenseful, and with twists that I didn't precisely figure out before they were revealed, so altogether a good, enjoyable read. 3 stars just mean that, though I really enjoyed the book, it's not great "literature."
Alisha
Dec 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I was a bit disappointed in the first book I read by Jonathan Delaware, Compulsion, but I really liked this one. It sucked you in right away and I like books like that. It was never boring.
Andrew Vachss
Nov 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There's a place deeper than "realistic." It's called "real." A new genre: author as expert witness, and dynamite as both.
Terri
Oct 23, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, crime-thriller
This book was great for a lot of the way through, but then Kellerman went in a direction with the story that I found disappointing and a bit boring.
R.J. Vaccarelli
Aug 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Excellent book. Great thriller/mystery. Kept me engrossed from start to finish.
Heather
Dec 31, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, 2018
3.5 Stars. This was definitely one of the more interesting books in this series for me as Kellerman focused more on the plot than the technical jargon he sometimes gets lost in.

Having shown success at solving cold cases, Milo is handed another in which he is frustratingly stumped and getting absolutely nowhere as the victim seems to be just short of a hermit in his personal life. When a psychologist is found dead in a similar matter, Milo wonders if the cases are related though there seems to be
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Serpent's Tooth (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #10)
  • Cold Case (Alan Gregory, #8)
  • Trouble
  • Conviction (Christopher Paget, #4)
Jonathan Kellerman was born in New York City in 1949 and grew up in Los Angeles. He helped work his way through UCLA as an editorial cartoonist, columnist, editor and freelance musician. As a senior, at the age of 22, he won a Samuel Goldwyn Writing Award for fiction.

Like his fictional protagonist, Alex Delaware, Jonathan received at Ph.D. in psychology at the age of 24, with a specialty in the t

Alex Delaware (1 - 10 of 35 books)
  • When the Bough Breaks (Alex Delaware, #1)
  • Blood Test (Alex Delaware, #2)
  • Over the Edge (Alex Delaware, #3)
  • Silent Partner (Alex Delaware, #4)
  • Time Bomb (Alex Delaware, #5)
  • Private Eyes (Alex Delaware, #6)
  • Devil's Waltz (Alex Delaware, #7)
  • Bad Love (Alex Delaware, #8)
  • Self-Defense (Alex Delaware, #9)
  • The Web (Alex Delaware, #10)