Start by marking “The Bailey Chronicles” as Want to Read:
The Bailey Chronicles

The Bailey Chronicles

(The Bailey Chronicles #1-3 omnibus)

1989 Summit Books(Simon & Schuster) hardcover, BCE. No ISBN. Catherine Cookson (The Silent Lady: A Novel).
A not so typical family and their charming way of life.
Published April 1989 by Summit Books

To ask other readers questions about The Bailey Chronicles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bailey Chronicles

Sally Kinane
Jan 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
Was surprised at how I got so caught up in this book! Had a hard time putting it down at times.
Donna
Feb 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Fiona Nelson, widowed with three children, has taken in a lodger, Bill Bailey, much to the chagrin of her viper-tongued mother. Fiona has to make ends meet someway as she was left badly off after the death of her husband.

Before long Bill captures the hearts of Fiona and all three of her children: Mark, Willie and Katie.
They quickly come to depend on "Mr. Bill" for many things. He brings much happiness into the house.
Bill and Fiona finally marry and he adopts her children along with an orphaned c
Monica Horn
Aug 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: stopped-reading
I read Cookson's Love Child and enjoyed it very much. My mom recommended this one. Sorry mom, sorry Ms Cookson. I could not get into this one.
First of all, as an "American English" speaker, I found Bill's thick English Brogue to be distracting. Yes, I get that it's meant to enhance the setting of the story, but I often found myself reading his dialogue 2 and 3 x over (and very slowly) to get the meaning. It became *work* to understand this man! Being a Maeve Binchey fan, I'm not new to reading b
Dora Okeyo
May 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
You should read this book because Bill Bailey is one awesome character-he speaks his mind, flaws and all.
I was hesistant at first when I bought this book, but after having read "The Ivy Chronicles" by Karen Quinn a year back- I figured this could also be lively and for once I was right.
Catherine uses numerous characters but all of them have something to do with the main character-Bill.
So, it's like getting many perspectives of the same character with lots of humor, love, concern and though the b
Sue Johnson
Mar 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who likes a story of family and love
This is such a good book. I enjoyed it immensely, for the second time. I had read it in the 80's, I believe. It's, actually, a trilogy, the story of a wonderful family who perseveres through life's challenges, both good and bad. The plot is well developed, the characters wonderfully fleshed out and the writing crisp and excellent. Themes of love, hope and forgiveness abound throughout. I was left with a feeling of warmth and hope that humankind can meet any challenges put forth by this crazy wor ...more
Roseanne Parzek
Apr 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An exceptional experience getting to know this "family", living the roller coaster and most dramatic period in a young family's life. I cried, I laughed, I stayed up too late, not wanting it to end, but not able to wait for the next adventure or resolution of the latest challenge. I will miss them all - it's as if my best friends moved away!
Lili
May 18, 2012 rated it liked it
I read all of Catherine Cookson's books some years ago and enjoyed them immensley. I recently re-read all of them and find that on a second look I found them all so very predictable, and was rather disappointed. However I'm sure that it is my tastes that have changed not the calibre of her story telling.
Susan
Jun 22, 2010 rated it liked it
As in most of Cookson's books she writes with strong female characters overcoming some miserable circumstance or misfortune. I also love the English accents given her characters. If you like books set in old England and well developed characters, you will enjoy books by Catherine Cookson!
This is a compilation of the Bill Bailey stories -- a builder and his family.
Lorrie
Mar 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
This was one of Catherine Cookson's lengthy books that was nice, comfortable reading. Her books are well thought-out, and I can always count on a good story. If you like stories set in England, some historical, some not, you might enjoy Cookson.
Kathy Bourgard
Jul 24, 2015 rated it did not like it
I also had a hard time with the vernacular and I had no difficulty with any of Maeve Binchy's books. The last half of the book was particularly unfulfilling and the storyline just ends with no real ending!
Dpic
Feb 05, 2014 added it
lovely
Rachel
Mar 19, 2010 rated it it was ok
This is such poor writing. Flat characters and boring plot.
Jean
Feb 08, 2008 rated it it was ok
The book is okay. When I'm reading it I'm interested and get lost in it for a couple hours. But, I still don't seem to want to pick it up again after I put it down.
Mohammed_atteiya
Here is the concept of love in the Western point of view.
Diane Wachter
The Bailey Chronicles, Catherine Cookson, RDC-M #4-89, 1989. A widow with three small children and a Liverpool builder build a life together. Good.
Cws
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Plant Life
  • Caravan of Dreams
  • Twilight Whispers
  • Escape to Freedom (Secret of the Rose #3)
  • In the Name of Friendship
  • The Rest of the Gospel: When the Partial Gospel Has Worn You Out
  • Somewhere, Someday
  • A Violent Grace
  • Following In His Footsteps: Walking Day by Day with Jesus
  • Outcast (Emma Grady, #1)
  • Keepers of the Faith
  • Swordsmen of Gor (Gor, #29)
  • Obsession
  • The Ghost Children
  • The Fifth Kiss
  • Kansas Home: Hearts Adrift Find a Place to Dwell in Four Romantic Stories
  • Astra
Catherine Cookson was born in Tyne Dock, the illegitimate daughter of a poverty-stricken woman, Kate, who Catherine believed was her older sister. Catherine began work in service but eventually moved south to Hastings, where she met and married Tom Cookson, a local grammar-school master.

Although she was originally acclaimed as a regional writer - her novel The Round Tower won the Winifred Holtby

The Bailey Chronicles (3 books)
  • Bill Bailey