Start by marking “The Goblins of Labyrinth” as Want to Read:
The Goblins of Labyrinth

The Goblins of Labyrinth

In 1986, the movie Labyrinth introduced the world to a set of unforgettable goblins from the minds of Brian Freud and Jim Henson. This book chronicles each of the creatures in detail, with all the artistry and originality for which Froud and Henson are known.
Published September 1st 2006 by Harry N. Abrams (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Goblins of Labyrinth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Goblins of Labyrinth

The Hollow Kingdom by Clare B. DunkleThe Goblin Emperor by Katherine AddisonThe Princess and the Goblin by George MacDonaldThe Hobbit, or There and Back Again by J.R.R. TolkienGoblin Market by Christina Rossetti
Best Goblin Books
80 books — 38 voters
Tithe by Holly BlackThe Iron King by Julie KagawaValiant by Holly BlackThrough the Mists of Faerie by The Silver ElvesA Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare
Sidhe
278 books — 92 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of The Goblins of Labyrinth
Timothy Urges
Aug 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Labyrinth will always be my favorite film. Froud is an inspiration and Bowie is everything.
Andrew
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First of I will have to admit I am a huge fan of Brian Froud (not really a huge surprise though really). Having just reading the Dark Crystal Creation Myth graphic novel series and contemplating the sequel series as well I must admit I have seen quite a bit of his work recently.

That said it amazes me how fresh his work appears even after all these years (this is the original publication I am reading by the way) as it dates back to the early 80s.

The book consists of a catalogue of the various
Michelle
Jun 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I was obsessed with this movie (Labyrinth) in the 80s and had the opportunity to meet Brian Froud, creator of the Goblins, twice at Comic Con in San Diego. I absolutely love his artwork and if you are a fan of the movie, you must own this book!
Pamela ✨I Blame Wizards✨
It's a book of Brian Froud art. what's not to love? ...more
Britt Dowell
Jun 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
It's about Labyrinth, so of course it's amazing.
Larissa
Jun 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
When a small, impossibly ancient, earthenware pot was first discovered in remote Olduvai Gorge its significance was such that it was promptly ignored and abandoned. Luckily it was later discovered and destroyed by Brian Froud. However before its destruction Mr Froud was able to discover a message hidden within this pot. And when that message was eventually deciphered he began a journey that would lead to the greatest goblin related discovery in history.

The Labyrinth, created by a goblin king,
An
Oct 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Brian Froud is an inspirational artist.
Sarah Morgan Sandquist
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art
BRIAN FROUD, JIM HENSON, TERRY JONES AND DAVID BOWIE collaborated to create a work of art called The Labyrinth roughly twenty years ago. Here, Brian Froud shares his concept sketchbook, fleshed out with wry character bios by Terry Jones, which were integral to the final form of that work of art. If The Labyrinth is tour childhood too, this book is for you.
Gator
Apr 10, 2016 rated it liked it
As a major fan of labyrinth I accept anything I can get my hands on that relates to it, this book was a birthday gift from a close friend of mine. Some fun is to be had thru the pages but don't expect the writings on particular goblins to be anything remotely serious, it's all hog wash and rubbish but fun. If your a fan pick it up, you can read it in a day but as a collector it's a must have piece to your labyrinth collection.
"I didn't know but suggested that a labyrinth would make a really good
Theresa
Jan 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book never fails to bring a smile to my face. Love the descriptions of the various goblins with the footnotes. Loved the movie as well.
Terrence Mann
Jun 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Brian Froud is an amazing artist, and his books on fantasy art are timeless. This is the obvious reason why Jim Henson brought Froud in to help design the worlds of two of Hensons movies: The Dark Crystal and Labyrinth. This book is a sort of offshoot of Froud's designs with the Labyrinth movie. There are tons of beautiful illustrations on every page, but it's not just art that you get.

The book also gives you a little insight on the goblin world, like how it came to be and how the Goblin King
Kelly
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
My first experience with Froud's work. A long-time lover of Labyrinth ever since my childhood, this book was a gift from my brother, and has been cherished ever since. Witty and wonderful, it captures the feeling of the film and is a perfect addition to any Labyrinth-lover's collection. A peek behind the scenes without spoiling the magic. If anything, it deepens.
Rebecca
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
This is honestly one of the most brilliant things I've ever read. Thank you to my dad for finding it hidden away amongst an assortment of random objects in our spare room and giving it to me because he knows me too well.
Albert Elrod
Sep 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Love the art, the foreward, and the afterward. The actual goblin descriptions vary. Some are funny, others confusing, and some just fall flat entirely. The author is more describing the art from an outsider's perspective, rather than anything approaching lore or artist intent. YMMV.
Kaity
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The beauty of Brian Froud meets the humor of Monty Python. Recommended as a coffee table piece.
Allyson Grove
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you are a fan of the movie this is a real treat. Brian's drawings paired with Terry's words is fun and magical.
Hennie
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Just one word: AMAZING.

Labyrinth fans will definitely love this book as much as I did.
Jenan
I really liked the weird goblin drawings and nonsensical descriptions, but I'm knocking it down a star because some of the prettiest art was spoiled by the book's arrangement. Know when the focus of a painting is caught between two pages and it sort of gets buried in the spine? I hate that.

Thomas
Jun 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, fiction, film
For anyone enthralled by the design element of the Jim Henson masterpiece Labyrinth, this book is a must. The 'rough around the edges' style of sketching and watercolour painting performed by Froud is a wonder to behold, and I'm especially fond of the pieces which are only half-detailed, making the goblins look like faded memories or dream-like apparitions. Of the artists I admire, he's one of the the few that makes me want to pick up a pencil or paint brush and start creating.

For me the book
Erin Cataldi
May 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Obviously not too intensive of a read, but it is very silly and very fun and my GOD are the illustrations beautiful! Brian Froud has always had a wonderful knack for illustrating the best goblins, fairies, and other magical creations and this book is no exception. Nearly all of the goblins shown in this book you can find in the movie. Terry Jones does a great job of writing about each of the goblins and shedding some light on their histories and quirks. For example, Agnes (a scavenging goblin - ...more
Julie
May 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Brian Froud, the creative genius behind Jim Henson’s The Labyrinth, presents his concept illustrations for the film in this beautiful book. Written as a long-lost “archeological find,” this book catalogues a variety of different goblins who allegedly lived 60 million years ago. It was a delight to see some of the original sketches that would eventually evolve into puppets from one of my favorite movies as a child. The best part was the afterward. There’s not too much content, but I love the idea ...more
Amber
Jan 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I found this book for sale at my local library book sale and bought it mostly for the donation. I didnt realize it was an original out of print copy of the book, that features lots of great artwork and interesting information about the creepy goblins in the movie Labyrinth. Apperantly I could sell this book for upwards of $50 to $90, which is sweet! Not the most eventful read or anything, but definately a cool companion to the film and just generally a fun look through.
R.
Aug 14, 2011 rated it liked it
An interesting collection of artwork for Jim Henson's film, Labyrinth. This version includes descriptions of the goblins as well as full page and two-page art pieces. It's a shame they chose standard middle page binding as it cuts off the larger works at awkward angles. A wider print and bound book would be more ideal so it didn't break the images. They're gorgeous as is, but it makes it highly disappointing to have the binding the way so often.
Sadie
Apr 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely beautiful art, but don't think this has everything to do with what you saw in the movie. The majority of the goblins are original fellows that you don't get to see in the movies, and each has his own back story, written by the wonderful Terry Jones. Tons of sketches and creature designs, with some gorgeous paintings. A lot of care went into creating the little world of the Labyrinth and it's denizens. Just don't expect to be reading about Jareth and Sarah.
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
How could I not to know about this book sooner. Labyrinth being one of my all time favorite movies this book was really good. Has info on all the goblins, some you'll recognize and others maybe? Love seeing the concept art for video games and movies etc. If you LOVE Labyrinth the movie then this is the book for you.
C
Apr 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
153 pages of Brian Froud's concept art of all types of goblins for Labyrinth with made up lore and commentary from Terry Jones (of Monty Python - who actually wrote the original screenplay for Labyrinth). Brilliant sketches and a few full page paintings, Brian Froud's art is fantastic and wonderful.
Any fan of Labyrinth or just fantasy art and fae or goblin creatures would love it.
Cheryl
Jan 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Labyrinth was one of my favorite movies as a kid and this book is full of the wonderful character designs that made the movie so fun. From the beautiful concept art to the quirky, humorous text this is a great book for fans of the movie.
Alyssa
Oct 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A must for Labyrinth addicts like myself. Each page is filled with all the goblins from the show plus some that weren't, and their back story with quirky humor spread throughout. The drawings range from simple sketches to outright beautiful works with elaborate details.
Kate B
Sep 21, 2014 rated it liked it
I watched a documentary of the making of Labyrinth some time after I saw the film and looked at this book; the reason why the human drawings don't look like the actors is because the drawings were completed before casting.
Daniel
Aug 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Arguably the best of Brian Froud. The designs in this book range from familiar (easily recognizable from their puppet counterparts) to simply amazing (and ultimately disappointing we never saw on screen). It's presentation as a field sketch book is easily as pleasing as the subjects found within.

• Labyrinth: A Novel Based on the Jim Henson Film
  • Landwhale: On Turning Insults Into Nicknames, Why Body Image Is Hard, and How Diets Can Kiss My Ass
  • Carsick: John Waters Hitchhikes Across America
  • Tides of the Dark Crystal (Jim Henson's The Dark Crystal, #3)
  • Mage, Vol. 4: The Hero Defined, Book Two Part 2
  • Shadows of the Dark Crystal (Jim Henson's The Dark Crystal, #1)
  • Song of the Dark Crystal (Jim Henson's The Dark Crystal, #2)
  • Terry Jones' Fairy Tales
  • Police Officer Exam
  • Role Models
  • The Subversive Copy Editor: Advice from Chicago (or, How to Negotiate Good Relationships with Your Writers, Your Colleagues, and Yourself)
  • The Russian Vision: The Art of Ilya Repin
  • MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers
  • Make Love! the Bruce Campbell Way
  • Blacksad (Blacksad, #1-3)
  • The Graphic Canon, Vol. 3: From Heart of Darkness to Hemingway to Infinite Jest (The Graphic Canon #3)
  • Make Trouble
  • All-Night Party (Fear Street, #43)
Brian Froud is an award-winning illustrator, author, and faery authority. His books include the international best-sellers Faeries, Lady Cottington's Pressed Fairy Book, Lady Cottington's Fairy Album, and The Faeries' Oracle. He also served as the conceptual designer on Jim Henson's films The Dark Crystal and Labyrinth. Froud lives in Devon, England.
----------------------