Start by marking “Spice Box” as Want to Read:
Spice Box

Grace Livingston Hill

Spice Box

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  288 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
He saved her life, then grew to love her. But can Dr. Sterling discover what is forcing his beautiful patient to keep her identity a secret?.
Hardcover
Published by Amereon Limited (first published January 1st 1943)

To ask other readers questions about Spice Box, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spice Box

Anne
Apr 22, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Grace Livingston Hill is kind of my go to for books I know I'll love when I get the craving for a good, romantic read. This one definitely delivers and the story of Miss Spicer is delightful. There are two distinct stories at first, which I will admit drove me a little crazy, but they become beautifully entwined to finish up a good book I would recommend. Great message about not judging people as individuals or groups without knowing them personally and about trusting God and persevering though ...more
Anna
Nov 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an entertaining book. It is very old fashioned (with the damsel in distress theme playing a large role in the storyline) and had some cliche moments (Janice thinking that Howard was engaged to someone else, and the amusing conversation that corrects that), but overall I liked it. I also really liked the part of the story about Martha and Ronald. I especially enjoyed Ronald, who reminds me of my brothers a little.
Bethany Mustafa
Not bad. It really wasn't terribly romantic, which is what I expectd, but I found the story of Miss Spicer to be delightful and fun.
Wyntrnoire
This is the first of this author's books that I've read and though I liked it, I felt the last chapter was rushed and the ending was too abrupt. In fact, it read like the first half of the book--and there was so much more of the story to be told. I did find out that it was written in 1943, and the author passed away in 1947. Since she wrote at least eight more books after this one, she may have been trying to outrace what time was left her to write at all.
I absolutely loved Henrietta (the cat).
Rachel
Feb 12, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like these clean Christian romances by Grace Livingston Hill; however, I will say that her good characters are almost too perfect and her bad ones horribly evil, which can make them amusing although that's not the intent. They are well written though.
Vicky
Jul 15, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first of Miss Hills books I ever read and it is still a favourite. I know they are old fashioned and get a bit preachy but I love picking up the simple sweet stories after a heavier plot twister.
I just love Miss Spicer and Ernestine!!
Bernice
Jun 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Old Spice

I fell in love with this author at age 13, & now at 70 , I still love how her stories compel me to read on. God directs the lives of her characters, which shows the reader how they need His love in their hearts. It's all about love of God & man.
Dec 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-reads
I love Grace Livingstone Hill. Yes, her books are old fashioned. Yes, her books are somewhat predictable. But that woman could weave a lovely story that leaves you feeling happy at the end. I loved Spice Box and its wonderful message of reaching out to those around you.
Julie
Aug 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recommend this book to anybody and everybody :) It is really a predictable plot overall, but it is great nonetheless :)
A.m.
Apr 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy lovely read, great author
Mikayla
This was one of the most bland Grace Livingston Hill's that I've read. While I enjoyed the story plot, I felt like the characters were flat.
Barbara
Loved it. Inspirational reading, quaint characters.
Cindy
Aug 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I always consider the romance is secondary to the real story about Miss Spicer.
Shirley
Apr 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-challenge
I like all of the Grace Livingston Hill books. Reread them ever few years.
Dail Sams
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Martha Spicer had worked hard in a department store her whole life, always feeling a little bitter and put upon. When much to her surprised, her aunt and uncle left her their house and enough money to take care of herself, and her life was changed in an instant. When she met a boy next door who was so engaging and helpful, her life changed even more, and she became a different person.
Paulita
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Fine Little Character Study

Mrs. Hill gives another decent character study dissecting a closed-off, bitter soul and transforming it into one filled with hope and joy for life.
Connie
This was a typical GLH novel of preachy Christian goodness. I would call this one of her less preachy ones. It’s more of a narrative preachiness than one of dialogue – if that makes any sense. It’s preachy more in the example of the characters than in their words.

But, anyway, the one disappointment I felt with this one was the abrupt ending. She usually writes fairly open-ended conclusions, but this one was so much more open than normal. It wasn’t very satisfying and felt like it needed at least
Lisa
Jul 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovely

Lovely story with Christian morals. A rather old-fashioned book, the story is sweet and gentle, full of hope and an understanding of human frailties. the protagonist's relationships come across as profound and true.
Jul 08, 2008
May 18, 2016
Tammy Hensel
May 22, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Wrong Cover Image for ISBN 0842359397 3 26 Oct 08, 2013 02:43PM
  • The Honor Girl
  • Ester Ried
  • When Hearts are Light Again
  • The Rose Trilogy Boxed Set
  • Hidden Rainbow
  • The Struggle (Kentucky Brothers, #3)
  • Ghostwriter
  • The Last Storyteller
  • Blessings (Sommerfield Trilogy, #3)
  • Stepping Into Sunlight
  • Mandie and Joe's Christmas Surprise
  • Love Finds You in Nazareth, Pennsylvania
  • Putting On a Gentle  Quiet Spirit: 1 Peter
  • Lost Yesterday
  • Patterns of Love (Coming to America, #2)
also wrote under the pseudonym Marcia MacDonald
also published under the name Grace Livingston Hill Lutz

A popular author of her day, she wrote over 100 novels and numerous short stories of religious and Christian fiction. Her characters were most often young female ingénues, frequently strong Christian women or those who become so within the confines of the story.
More about Grace Livingston Hill...