Start by marking “In the Beginning (Elementary Go Series, #1)” as Want to Read:
In the Beginning  (Elementary Go Series, #1)

In the Beginning

(Elementary Go Series #1)

The opening is theoretically the hardest part of the game of go. To professional players, it is the hardest part in practice, as well; in championship games that last two days, for instance, the first day is usually spent playing and thinking about the first 50 moves, and the second day is spent finishing all the rest. Such is the consistency of professional play in the mi ...more
Published June 9th 2017 by Kiseido Publishing Company (first published October 1973)

David
May 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, go, gaming
Is there a perfect go book? I haven't found one yet, but so far I learn a little bit from each one, and In the Beginning covers a lot of fundamentals relating to the beginning of the game: how to play in the corners, with follow-up moves (shimari and kakari), then some discussion of extending along the sides, into the center, invasions, and pincer attacks. Then, a list of nine concepts for improving your opening game:

Make Your Stones Work Together
Efficiency
Play Away from Strength
Thickness a
Glen
Jan 05, 2017 rated it liked it
I just finished reading it cover-to-cover, working most of the examples out on a board and playing games in between. I still failed most of the 10 problems at the end. I could read it again in a few weeks and get almost as much out of it the second time.

Before this book, I would play on star points, then connect some of my groups or just start fighting because I had no idea what I was doing. After this book, I'm establishing bases, extending along the side, and playing for territory more success
Lennart
Mar 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: go
I really enjoyed this book and I think it improved my game. I immediately wanted to re-read the book once I finished it!
Valentyn Danylchuk
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: go, baduk, non-fiction
Nice. Another beginner-friendly perspective on Go opening, and some associated attack and defense theory. I especially liked the self-test problems with multiple possible solutions ranked in points, and with detailed explanations.
Brandon
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Exactly what I was hoping for: not a detailed analysis of joseki but a more general overview of basic principles of the opening. Recommended.
Othy
Sep 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: igo
A fairly good book for the beginning igo player. I picked it up from the local library in pure joy of actually seeing a go book on the shelf, and I must note that I'm about 5kyu in level. Thus this book is not for me to begin with (though I still think I can give something of an adequate review of it). I think Ishigure starts off well and explains things that a lot of beginners need to know, but I think that he doesn't continue as long as he should. Many of the complaints I got from beginners I ...more
Serge Pierro
Sep 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: go
Between this and "Opening Theory Made Easy", the beginner/intermediate student of Go would have a solid foundation as to the moves and thought process of the opening of a game of Go. Covering all of the vital opening points, such as 3-3, 3-4, 4-4 etc. in detail, as to the ideas behind them, the book then goes on to extensions, pincers, shimari, kakari, etc. There is a section of 10 test positions that the student can choose the move they would make and then turn to see how they would score... wi ...more
Jdl
Aug 20, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: go
While I feel that "Opening Theory Made Easy" is a better book than this one, I still read "In the Beginning" twice. There is a lot of fundamental information to be gained from it. It's well written, with clear examples.

It ends with a series of 10 problems which are graded on a sliding scale. You can get partial credit for playing 2nd- or 3rd- best moves, which are all explained.
Steve Paulson
Sep 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Beginning to Intermediate Go Players
Shelves: go
An excellent book to follow introductory books by Shotwell, Cho Chikun and Kaoru Iwamoto.

I finished a second reading a few months ago and am now near the end of a 3rd. Each time a grasp a bit more and look forward to a 'full' understanding in a few years and 3-4 more readings.
Joy
Sep 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: games
Great book for those who've mastered the basic rules and concepts of go/baduk/weiqi. Once you've read this, you'll feel a lot less confused about where to place your next stone on that giant empty board; it offers basic principles and has lots of illuminating examples.
Chloe Adeline
Jan 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
This and Kageyama's Fundamentals were my first Go books. I read this as a 15-20k. Much of it was beyond my ability at the time, but I still got a lot out of it! I've revisited it a few times, and will continue to. A wonderful book.
Jeff
Nov 15, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Opening is an abstract concept that few amateurs really understand. This is certainly a good book on opening theory. I'd say it's well-written enough that advanced beginners (about 10k) can follow it. However, it's probably useful into the low dan levels.
Sighris
May 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wei-chi
Good book, but not for beginners!
Steve
May 26, 2014
Tijs
Oct 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Tesuji (Elementary Go Series, #3)
  • Lessons in the Fundamentals of Go (Beginner and Elementary Go Books)
  • The Way of the Moving Horse (Learn to Play Go, #2)
  • Learn to Play Go: A Master's Guide to the Ultimate Game (Learn to Play Go, #1)
  • Go for Beginners
  • Go! More Than a Game
  • ヒカルの碁 20、社 vs ヒカル

Elementary Go Series (7 books)
  • 38 Basic Joseki (Elementary Go Series, #2)
  • Tesuji (Elementary Go Series, #3)
  • Life and Death (Elementary Go Series, #4)
  • Attack and Defense (Elementary Go Series, #5)
  • The Endgame (Elementary Go Series, #6)
  • Handicap Go (Elementary Go Series, #7)