Start by marking “Getting Started with D3” as Want to Read:
Getting Started with D3

Getting Started with D3

Learn how to create beautiful, interactive, browser-based data visualizations with the D3 JavaScript library. This hands-on book shows you how to use a combination of JavaScript and SVG to build everything from simple bar charts to complex infographics. You’ll learn how to use basic D3 tools by building visualizations based on real data from the New York Metropolitan Trans ...more
Published July 10th 2012 by O'Reilly Media (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Getting Started with D3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Getting Started with D3

Start your review of Getting Started with D3
Angela
Sep 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: tech
I'm not sure who this book is pitched to - maybe it resonates with people who already have a pretty good knowledge of JavaScript. For complete newbies, or people at level 1.1 noob, it feels really scattered and mostly baffling. I found Interactive Data Visualization for the Web a lot friendlier - and richer, in terms of both explanations and resources for further study.

One (pretty big) plus point, to Mike Dewar's credit, is his hands-on example using the New York City subway. I sometimes compla
Alex Ott
Nov 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: web-dev
Short introduction into D3.js Visualization library. The book provides enough information to start with library, but it would be also helpful to read the paper with design rationale behind it: http://vis.stanford.edu/papers/d3

And also look to other libraries, built on the top of D3.js
Jörn Dinkla
Oct 06, 2016 rated it liked it
A little bit to short, but good as an introduction if you know JavaScript and web development.
Colle Owino
Mar 20, 2019 rated it liked it
I practically skimmed through this book. In my humble opinion it was kind of like chewing leather. I took it on about 3 different times and in all those cases I would end up wondering why things are the way they are. I suppose this isn't a beginners book. Short as it may be it demands full and complete attention of the reader. Throwing snippet at you and hoping you are still there to grasp whatever is going on. Maybe the next time I attempt to read it I will finally be ready.
Eduardo Deboni
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The book is a great tutorial with practical examples of D3 applications. The examples are based on data from the New York Metropolitan Transit Authority Data Set. The data is still available but you still can find them in github (I will leave my exercises there too). There are minor typos in the code, but it´s easy to spot them and learn D3. Aproved!
Tadas Talaikis
Jan 17, 2017 rated it liked it
// badass visualization code goes here

Don't need it, but good to know.
Alberto Garcia Ariza
May 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: datavis, tecnico
Pese a ser una introducción, deja gran parte de los ejemplos sin explicar, aunque aún así me ha servido para iniciarme en d3. Pero a diferencia de otros manuales que he leído, dudo que sea capaz de replica los ejemplos. Aún así, teniendo en cuenta la poca literatura existente sobre el tema puede ser recomendable, aunque en la web encontramos tutoriales con una curva de aprendizaje màs asequible.
Daniela
I don't usually include work related books in my reading list as I don't generally read them from cover to cover. This was a short book and I did read it all and followed the examples. It is a good introduction to D3 and I did learn enough to modify some examples for my own data and purposes.
Becky
Jan 30, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dave
Mar 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: programming
Very good for a quick, get over the learning curve introduction to D3. Set me up to learn more about D3 and not have to worry about some of the basics that some guides gloss over.
Tyler Weir
Oct 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great intro, though nothing replaces actually *using* D3.
Suresh Sankaran
Mar 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: technology
Good book to get started with D3 framework...but will give only very basic stuff which can not be enough to start serious development
Alex
Jun 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very good introduction into the world of D3, would need a follow up if you wanted to master some of the more advanced techniques, but still, it does what the title states.
Steven Pennebaker
Apr 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Exactly what it says it is - a good place to start.
Siegfried-A.
Apr 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
A great introduction to D3 for web developers. I'd have liked some more advanced chapters or at least an overview of what additional stuff D3 provides.
Parinya Chavanasuvarngull
May 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
เป็นหนังสือเริ่มต้นที่ดีระดับหนึ่ง... ถึงยังไงซะ D3 ก็ค่อนข้างยาก ต้องใช้เวลาศึกษา และอ่านกันยาวๆ แต่ก็คุ้มค่าเพราะมันสามารถวาด chard อะไรก็ได้ ยืดหยุ่นสุดๆ นั่นเอง
Carlos
Feb 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
clear, easy to read, a good initial tour to get started
Adam
Jul 04, 2015
Yong Gu
Jun 09, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Cibola Burn (The Expanse, #4)
  • L'art de la Simplicité: How to Live More with Less
  • A Mind for Numbers: How to Excel at Math and Science (Even If You Flunked Algebra)
  • Искусство легких касаний
  • Clean Architecture
  • Distributed Systems
  • Чудо на Гудзоне
  • Data Visualization: A Practical Introduction
  • Misbehaving: The Making of Behavioral Economics
  • Distributed Algorithms
  • Distributed Algorithms: An Intuitive Approach
  • Designing Distributed Systems: Patterns and Paradigms for Scalable, Reliable Services
  • Driven to Distraction at Work: How to Focus and Be More Productive
  • D3.Js in Action

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »